Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But on the other hand... This is the first explicitly non-binary character in any of Mookie's works. And he apparently just couldn't WAIT to exploit that fact with a bad guy. So nah. No pass for Mookie.

(What's extra-bad is on my first read through I actually had no idea Semme was nonbinary until this panel. What a way to find out!)

This is more my issue with it. It's not having the character, it's making the character non-binary exist solely for cheapo mean points. Just like with the way Mookie treats racism, these issues aren't actually real social problems so much as things he can claim he believes that make him a good person. The people with the identities are secondary. If Mookie had actually made the point of writing this character as non-binary, rather than (I assume) coming up with it as an idea now to score diverstity points and Siggy this mobster dude so that him dying is ok, then that would be different. But as it is it's ehhhh.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah. For the most part Semme just presents as male. Their non-binaryness is referenced only one more time, in the final issue. And while it's not as offensive as this one, it's real, real dumb.

For the record, I'm not an authority on the "correct" way to write a non-binary or trans character. In an ideal world, they would be able to present as whatever gender they feel, and no one would question it, so they would just come off as, well, that gender, and you wouldn't even know otherwise. But that's obviously not representation - if you don't tell anyone about it, they might as well not be trans or non-binary, ala the last attempt Mookie made.

But putting a bow on it like this can be bad too, as you're then shoving it in our faces in a way no one would actually do in real life. I'll say this at least, Mookie's attempt here is better than the trans NPC in Mass Effect: Andromeda, who just blurts out that she's trans and deadnames herself casually in the middle of a conversation, because you'd never know otherwise.

(By the way, Mookie liked Mass Effect: Andromeda. He thought the characters were well developed. Because of course he did.)

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 20, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah. For the most part Semme just presents as male. Their non-binaryness is referenced only one more time, in the final issue. And while it's not as offensive as this one, it's real, real dumb.

For the record, I'm not an authority on the "correct" way to write a non-binary or trans character. In an ideal world, they would be able to present as whatever gender they feel, and no one would question it, so they would just come off as, well, that gender, and you wouldn't even know otherwise. But that's obviously not representation - if you don't tell anyone about it, they might as well not be trans or non-binary, ala the last attempt Mookie made.

But putting a bow on it like this can be bad too, as you're then shoving it in our faces in a way no one would actually do in real life. I'll say this at least, Mookie's attempt here is better than the trans NPC in Mass Effect: Andromeda, who just blurts out that she's trans and deadnames herself casually in the middle of a conversation, because you'd never know otherwise.

(By the way, Mookie liked Mass Effect: Andromeda. He thought the characters were well developed. Because of course he did.)

It's not the worst I've ever seen, but I think the rule of thumb to remember is not to make the character's non-binary nature solely exist as a method to traumatise and oppress them. Maybe the next time is better, but as it is Semme's non-binary status seems to exist only as a way for people to hurt them. It's a grey area and in another work more open to variant sexualities and genders I might not even notice it, but given that this is Starpower's only visible non cishet character, I don't really want to give Mookie a pass. It's like making Szark and Stunt gay, only to have Szark fall straight into weird awful tropes of the predatory homo or have stunt gay because of some sort of horrible Oedipus complex thing, I don't even remember everything going on with that, only that is was bad. If he had other characters that were gay, I might let it pass that he wrote those characters. But as it is....

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If Mookie actually gave a poo poo he could've sought feedback from non-binary people, either friends or people willing to give it a sensitivity read for some compensation. Then he could've learned things about that community and woven it into his story in a natural way. They're not an options available to every writer, but if Mookie's gonna pat himself on the back all day for his "good rep" then I would at least expect him to do the work of getting to know even a little bit about the community he isn't a part of.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You should never stare directly at a solar eclipse.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My first instinct was to give that a pass, because sure, bigotry exists and of course someone with an alternative gender identity is gonna run into that. It'd be silly to require all writers to avoid it completely.

But on the other hand... This is the first explicitly non-binary or trans character in any of Mookie's works. And he apparently just couldn't WAIT to exploit that fact with a bad guy. So nah. No pass for Mookie.

(What's extra-bad is on my first read through I actually had no idea Semme was nonbinary until this panel. What a way to find out!)

Yeah, I don't think it is possible or desirable to write out bigotry in all stories, but it's clearly a cheap prop here and there isn't really anything to signify that it's 'bad' because the good guy gangster is doing it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My first instinct was to give that a pass, because sure, bigotry exists and of course someone with an alternative gender identity is gonna run into that. It'd be silly to require all writers to avoid it completely.

But on the other hand... This is the first explicitly non-binary or trans character in any of Mookie's works. And he apparently just couldn't WAIT to exploit that fact with a bad guy. So nah. No pass for Mookie.

The alterist from Dominic Deegan was Mookie's first textually trans character (and predictably included all the transphobic tropes you'd expect)

That's not a failure on your part. If that was supposed to be clear, since it's hard to determine gender presentation for the tall purple alien species, there could've been some dialogue involving Smith that used their pronouns and didn't have to make a whole thing about it.

The Little Death posted:

It's not the worst I've ever seen, but I think the rule of thumb to remember is not to make the character's non-binary nature solely exist as a method to traumatise and oppress them. Maybe the next time is better, but as it is Semme's non-binary status seems to exist only as a way for people to hurt them. It's a grey area and in another work more open to variant sexualities and genders I might not even notice it, but given that this is Starpower's only visible non cishet character, I don't really want to give Mookie a pass. It's like making Szark and Stunt gay, only to have Szark fall straight into weird awful tropes of the predatory homo or have stunt gay because of some sort of horrible Oedipus complex thing, I don't even remember everything going on with that, only that is was bad. If he had other characters that were gay, I might let it pass that he wrote those characters. But as it is....
Did Stunt later become gay in original Deegan? I don't remember that at all. Can you refresh my memory? I thought after the Eldariat to Die arc, we pretty much never saw him again.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I thought he came out as gay there, in love with bumper? But honestly I don't remember clearly. Maybe it was just Szark

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

The Little Death posted:

I thought he came out as gay there, in love with bumper? But honestly I don't remember clearly. Maybe it was just Szark

Understandable, and it seems like the kind of thing Mookie would do, but no, Stunt and Bumper were never romantically involved. Bumper was killed off, I believe during the Erossus arc, and I think Stunt was the one to avenge him by killing one of Luna's garbage sisters. He then helped Siegfried's ex (Jayna? something like that) find a Luanan relic and I think that was pretty much his last involvement in the comic. Szark (who is gay) was the only textually non-hetero named character in the comic aside from Celesto, but after the Erossus storyline he's never romantically paired with anyone else, so it's moot.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He's paired with that butler who never speaks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

When I was in grade school, we had an assignment where we had to write 10 poems. I'm not great at poetry, so I agonized over it - the quality of the poems didn't matter, it was just to teach us how poetry verse worked, counting syllables, rhyming, etc. Still, I HATED the poems I produced, and I was profoundly embarrassed by them, and I was glad the teacher was the only one who had to read them.

Now, completely unrelated to my previous statement, I present the Star Power Holiday Special #2:

This is the only Star Power content that was published in December 2019 and January 2020.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I went back and checked. It was that Stunt's mom was a lesbian and that's was why he thought he murdered her. Honestly reading it again I still don't really get what that backstory was, but yeah it was Stunt's mom being gay I misremembered

E: oh my god Mookie, be embarrassed

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 20, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm a huge nerd who was picked on a lot and after reading those poems I want to give him a swirly.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Is Old Tom supposed to be a character we know and love?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that all the bosses refer to it as "Live trafficking", no euphemisms or double-talk in case anyone's a snitch or there's a bug somewhere, nope, just "We're selling people, want in?"

(Also as opposed to what? Dead trafficking?)

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Is Old Tom supposed to be a character we know and love?

He's the robot Danica met as part of her Star Power quest in chapter 3, who then befriended Beena (and is charged with killing Danica if she ever strays from the path of Love and Compassion, but I'm sure he'll do it very lovingly and compassionately).

This guy:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like that all the bosses refer to it as "Live trafficking", no euphemisms or double-talk in case anyone's a snitch or there's a bug somewhere, nope, just "We're selling people, want in?"

Can’t say human trafficking when humans are a small minority of your setting! But...what would they say? People trafficking? Guy trafficking? poo poo, the script’s due in an hour!

That’s how I imagine Mookie's process went down. Then they made all the people being trafficked human anyways.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He's the robot Danica met as part of her Star Power quest in chapter 3, who then befriended Beena (and is charged with killing Danica if she ever strays from the path of Love and Compassion, but I'm sure he'll do it very lovingly and compassionately).

This guy:

Oh that's right! Was that interrogation his legit last appearance in the series?

TheHan fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 21, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Turns out I was wrong about that, there's some alien slaves in the next chapter. To be fair, human trafficking is the term I was using, Mookie calls it "Life Smuggling" (which is actually in the chapter name).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Remember Mookie gives talks on how to write heroes and villains. Multiple. And people listen and agree.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

He's paired with that butler who never speaks.

I know, which was why I specified named characters. Good recall though.

The Little Death posted:

I went back and checked. It was that Stunt's mom was a lesbian and that's was why he thought he murdered her. Honestly reading it again I still don't really get what that backstory was, but yeah it was Stunt's mom being gay I misremembered

E: oh my god Mookie, be embarrassed
Ah, ok. Yeah, that story was real bad, plus contradicting stuff Stunt told us earlier. No problem, there's a lot of characters in Deegan classic and they all look and sound the same.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, what's up with that?

TheHan posted:

Can’t say human trafficking when humans are a small minority of your setting! But...what would they say? People trafficking? Guy trafficking? poo poo, the script’s due in an hour!

That’s how I imagine Mookie's process went down. Then they made all the people being trafficked human anyways.

Oh that's right! Was that interrogation his legit last appearance in the series?
Probably just "trafficking" but Maxwell Lord makes a good point, they should be calling it something else since they are being spied on and know they're being spied on because that one galactic cop was a traitor. Or has Mookie already forgotten about that?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Turns out I was wrong about that, there's some alien slaves in the next chapter. To be fair, human trafficking is the term I was using, Mookie calls it "Life Smuggling" (which is actually in the chapter name).

Lol life smuggling is worse, it sounds like what Wookiee Grinch does on Life Day. Though I was referring to why they call it something to generic like “Live Trafficking”.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Probably just "trafficking" but Maxwell Lord makes a good point, they should be calling it something else since they are being spied on and know they're being spied on because that one galactic cop was a traitor. Or has Mookie already forgotten about that?

Nah he’s just not even bothering. It wasn’t pointed out but the corrupt cop gets off a call with his uncorrupt superiors and just outright tells another corrupt cop to stage a murder like it was a clean kill. Bad guys aren’t subtle to Mookie.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Little Death posted:

Was Szark gay? I don't remember...it must've been subtle...

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

It's easy to miss. Deegan classic is definitely one of those comics that has more to tell upon rereading. Due to the lull in legacy, there's never been a better time for an archive trawl. If there's one thing Mookie's better at than subtlety, it's portraying queer characters.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I've tried reading through Deegan from the beginning but it just fills me with such shame and embarrassment to do so, and I didn't even make the comic.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Oh, I was being sarcastic, since Hostile V was being sarcastic. Don't reread deegan. Once is more than enough.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And I was also being sarcastic when I first suggested someone read through Star Power but HERE WE ARE

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Wait the crime arc is when Star Power got cancelled right? There’s only one issue left? I don’t think I can go back to the Legacy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Wait the crime arc is when Star Power got cancelled right? There’s only one issue left? I don’t think I can go back to the Legacy.

Three left, they finished out the full 5 issue arc.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I really hate that Danica did what she was explicitly and repeatedly told not to do for very good and logical reasons and then everything worked out perfectly fine because we can't have the hero ever be wrong.

I also hate this because there's no reason for them to say the names of their families except to try and pass it off as "worldbuilding," but more than that it's just the expository way they're talking. Like them going over their reasons for getting involved in trafficking to try and convince the last family why it's so great could work, if they spoke like they were having a normal conversation.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy posted:

I know, which was why I specified named characters. Good recall though.

His name was Bronto.

:eng99:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Invisible Clergy posted:

Understandable, and it seems like the kind of thing Mookie would do, but no, Stunt and Bumper were never romantically involved. Bumper was killed off, I believe during the Erossus arc, and I think Stunt was the one to avenge him by killing one of Luna's garbage sisters. He then helped Siegfried's ex (Jayna? something like that) find a Luanan relic and I think that was pretty much his last involvement in the comic. Szark (who is gay) was the only textually non-hetero named character in the comic aside from Celesto, but after the Erossus storyline he's never romantically paired with anyone else, so it's moot.

Nah, Bumper got killed off by the Infernomancer or the Maestro, one of 'em, when they were corrupted by the Beast. He got his hands cut off and joined the ministry of silly walks and then he died.

I think Bumper was the only named character death on the heroes side.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

His name was Bronto.

:eng99:
Holy poo poo. I forgot he was named. He was like a rock golem or robot or something, right?

Pyrotoad posted:

Nah, Bumper got killed off by the Infernomancer or the Maestro, one of 'em, when they were corrupted by the Beast. He got his hands cut off and joined the ministry of silly walks and then he died.

I think Bumper was the only named character death on the heroes side.
Who was the Maestro again? Was he the fencing coach of the ponytail boy? I remember the panel of Bumper getting his hands cut off now you mention it and am reasonably sure it was the infernomancer. He'd gotten a level up from his demonic sugar daddy and gotten big Freddy Kruger fingers or something, right?

He was, unless you count (remembered her name) Jayden's 5 minute dirtnap in the desert of Eldariat because your name is Mookie.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I think I remember the answers to all of these questions? The golem you’re thinking of was Quilt, a flesh golem made by the evil Deegan brother Jacob. For some reason Quilt was just a goofy fun loving guy much like Mookie, so he joined the hero side up until he died in the climax.

Maestro was an unfunny early 2000s webcomic character that was a friend of Miranda Deegan. He was a weather wizard who would create wacky situations.

I have no idea who Bronto is.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The Maestro very (in)famously came in to power deadbeat rocker dad deegan's electric guitars. A dumb choice at the time but with the hindsight of Mookie's terminal lack of creativity, one that speaks to his inability to think outside of US culture even in a fantasy setting.

Bronto is this dude:

Specifically panel 7

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Aug 21, 2020

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
After Star Power, someone should start posting classic Deegan from the beginning.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

please no

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Invisible Clergy posted:

the desert of Eldariat
Please use its full name, Eldariat To Die.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

With a few tweaks this classic edit is as timeless as ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Dabir posted:

please no

A full run through no, but goddamn did I find some stinkers I had forgotten about looking for Bronto.

Remember Facebath? When greg completed his transformation from quasi-Mookie into full Mookiedom.