Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Oh, I had a 458 Spider in today that had the transformers logo embroidered into the head rests. Like lol wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assume it was a movie tie in. It's a very Bay looking car imo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Jezebel/status/1296450097040039938?s=19

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goatface posted:

I assume it was a movie tie in. It's a very Bay looking car imo.

nah. just loads of nerds have earned a tonne of money

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Galewolf posted:

It's quite fun actually and probably those will be open research papers once completed so, yeah absolutely.

The basic principle is that bitumen quality differs widely from the 60's and 70's because crudes that are considered "sub-par" are being used due to demand. Refineries used to process one or two main sources in the past but these days it's like dozens of different crudes being processed from all over the world.

This creates a problem in old pavement mix design systems such as Marshall HMA that doesn't account for "long term performance" and simply focus on strength and bearing capacity. Raw bitumen is the most expensive and one of the most intensive crude byproducts since it's literally the non-volatile compounds you get after extracting everything including waxes. To reduce using raw bitumen, you add either mineral and/or chemical compounds that enhance the chemical bond between the aggregate and the bitumen.

It doesn't even stop there. The natural rocks have a certain affinity towards certain types of bitumen. Granite, having a high amount of inert SiO2 minerals in form of quartz or it's polymorphs doesn't interact well chemically but pavement made from granite-based aggregates have better surface roughness which reduces the brake distance and provide safer driving.

Basaltic rocks have a higher bond affinity towards bitumen but not naturally occurring in many countries or expensive to extract (due to their hardness). Add the variety of bitumen to this and you have like :psyduck: levels of parameters.

What I did back when I was working, I did case by case research with a wide variety of rocks and bitumens to have an economically viable and reduced bitumen mixes through laboratory testing and theory-crafting. Especially recycled pavements have great potential but with hardened and oxidized bitumen in RAP (recycled asphalt pavements), you can't have 100% effective mixes. It's like 20% RAP + 80 % virgin (goon) materials.

I want to focus on using new chemicals and minerals (like quicklime) to move the slider further towards right on RAP side and I can gush about it forever thanks for coming to my TEDtalk.

Sorry about the :words:. tl;dr of it is that Imperial programme is perfect for the kind of work I did in the past and I want to be researcher/teacher when I get old so hoping that I can get in and they'll have regular lessons. :3:

I've seen some things about using waste plastics and recycled glass for roads but is that actually viable?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

He got off lightly, at least he isn't being shipped around the sketchiest hospitals by his daughter who's trying to kill him

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Out of boredom, I have looked it up.

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Licensed_vehicle_alternate_modes#Dark_of_the_Moon posted:

Ferrari also provided a Ferrari 458 Italia to serve as the alternate mode of Mirage; however, due to an exclusive licensing deal with Hasbro's biggest competitor Mattel, the character was not allowed to sport the name of a Hasbro toy in the movie (hence he was named "Dino" at the request of Ferrari)

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

hockey jockey posted:

These days ringbinder folders are the height of cool. Ignore the rest of the class on iPads and laptops and demonstrate your innate superiority with your Slytherin ring binder and punch hole reinforcing stickers!

I found this binder clearing out poo poo from my mum's house pre-pandemic:

It was full of hand-drawn maps of Amiga Bard's Tale/Eye of the Beholder levels and carefully removed pages from the Kays Catalogue ladies underwear section.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Woke Pob posted:

the Kays Catalogue ladies underwear section.

:respek:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

fridge corn posted:

Oh, I had a 458 Spider in today that had the transformers logo embroidered into the head rests. Like lol wtf

Imagine having the money for this car, then having the taste to do something like that. I've seen Transformers poo poo on other high end sports cars before, and it always baffles me. Probably paid for with Bitcoin.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

are you sure it was actually a car?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Natalie Fartman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9IoJS9vhUs

Tuna is feeling pretty good since having her polyp removed on Tuesday

Cat eyes are weird

This video is tripping me out a bit, and I'm not even on drugs

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm posting from a bivy bag. The forecast is not good tomorrow, please send help.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Im not helping someone who has so clearly done this to themselves.

But. where are you?

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

CancerCakes posted:

I've seen some things about using waste plastics and recycled glass for roads but is that actually viable?

That is still at it's early stages while some startups push them as THE NEXT BIG THING, TOTES while just trying to score some sweet research grants.

Industrial waste being used for fills as a replacement to soil or aggregate base materials is somewhat established method, especially in countries like UK that has/had strong coal or peat fired power plants that produces fly ash after burning coal.

Fly ash and the flux slags are used in concrete to replace Portland cement which is literally one of the biggest emission creator (like, 7% of world total) but cement industry is so rich that they managed to blame it on cows

I have heard about glass dust being used in fills but the potential impacts are still researched.

In Birmingham I met a company viably producing "negative" carbon aggregates from waste like glass dust which is pretty neat. They fuse carbon dioxide with waste by a super sekrit system which ends up containing more carbon than it releases during process. Also, suprise the research for that tech came from Imperial.

Good stuff, really.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
UK thread what are your favourite days for drinking (any day ending in a y ha ha ha )

I seem to have settled on Wednesday (or the weekend of the week as my gf calls it), Friday and Saturday, with watching football being a wildcard that necessitates a beer whenever

Sundays also sometimes creep in there if a bottle of wine needs to be shared with the gf to round off the edges of the previous couple of days

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

thursday is when i get the itch atm but i'm not a good role model since i'm a) unemployed and therefore have no normal routine, and b) am probably an alcoholic

when i wasn't regulating my drinking so much and had a job the only day i would consistently avoid was monday for some reason.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Im not helping someone who has so clearly done this to themselves.

But. where are you?

Somewhere in the peak district

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Butterfly Valley posted:

UK thread what are your favourite days for drinking (any day ending in a y ha ha ha )

I seem to have settled on Wednesday (or the weekend of the week as my gf calls it), Friday and Saturday, with watching football being a wildcard that necessitates a beer whenever

Sundays also sometimes creep in there if a bottle of wine needs to be shared with the gf to round off the edges of the previous couple of days

Friday night jackbox

Because then I'm not drinking alone, right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Butterfly Valley posted:

I love Sunday drinking but it's always a bad idea

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

I love Sunday drinking but it's always a bad idea

Extremely same

Used to stay up til 5 drinking then have to get up for work at 7

Just wanted to put off Monday for as long as possible

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Imagine having the money for this car, then having the taste to do something like that. I've seen Transformers poo poo on other high end sports cars before, and it always baffles me. Probably paid for with Bitcoin.

Apparently the dude is a euromillions winner. Used to stock shelves at the sainsys. Probably a goon too

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Galewolf posted:

Thank you ratty, since I'm already living in London it sounds like a no-brainer to go for a part-time degree (hell, even full time can work since I'm self-employed) with thesis. Since childhood, I was interested in science and laboratories which I was lucky enough to be my job as well.

The masters sound "future proof" as well. Post-COVID world probably going to be big on "sustainable production" and I hope my actual hands-on experience might come in handy. Fondling stiff, hard rocks is not as cool as irl stalking bats still, though.

Well, if you're going to help create better pavements you have my pedestrian support (genuinely, the ones around here are a joke for the disabled).

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
They're a joke for non disabled people too

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I mean, I work on road pavements not the sidewalks (I think that's how Muricans call it) so I'll try to make better inner city roads and highways but if I have chance to do better sidewalks , I will.

Make everything better and less Earthdestroy-y is my goal :unsmith:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Asbestos for pavement imo

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just drive everywhere in a tesla

asbestos will come in handy there as well tbf

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Its friday bitches

Relief from the long weekdays

Discord jackboxing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol there's no relief

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm hangover

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Its 11am and I'm finished with work for the day

Suppose I can start drinking

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

table number

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Galewolf posted:

I mean, I work on road pavements not the sidewalks (I think that's how Muricans call it) so I'll try to make better inner city roads and highways but if I have chance to do better sidewalks , I will.

Make everything better and less Earthdestroy-y is my goal :unsmith:

If you could make a good, quieter road surface that would be lovely, ta. The bypass here is stupid loud.

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

goatface posted:

If you could make a good, quieter road surface that would be lovely, ta. The bypass here is stupid loud.

My favourite is the supposed temporary motorway surfaces(at least I think they are meant to be temporary, or theyre just bad) and it's in slabs and there's seams and you go KATHUNK KATHUNK KATHUNK KATHUNK as you drive over it

Memories of childhood

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i drove on a western section of the m25 the other day and loving hell someone should be shot

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

goatface posted:

The new Stone Mastic Asphalt surfaces have inherit noise reduction but that's hella expensive for non-highway apllications. They should use noise barriers but I can imagine boomers non stop calling the council complaining about losing their view or some poo poo

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i drove on a western section of the m25 the other day and loving hell someone should be shot

We might be talking about the same road

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If that's the bit between the A3 and the M3 when I went to drop my sister off at Heathrow she thought something was wrong with my car

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah as soon as you hit it you think you've blown a tyre or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think what we're proving here is that the composition of road surfaces, while not a sexy subject, is something people care about.

Go forth young goon and make the world slightly less terrible.