Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Techniques for working with clay have been known since the Bronze Age; the potter's wheel is a very ancient invention. The ancient Greeks did not add any innovations to these processes[citation needed].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bimimetic

1. Misspelling of biomimetic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

overmind2000 posted:

bimimetic

1. Misspelling of biomimetic.

they should put this on all entries except biomimetic

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I think the coolest thing I learned about tanks is that the Danish called U.S. tanks "Crawling Dragons".

:3:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Schadenboner posted:

I think the coolest thing I learned about tanks is that the Danish called U.S. tanks "Crawling Dragons".

:3:

that was finnish (iirc jerry posted it anyway)

in danish they'd be larvae-feet or belt-vehicles which admittedly isnt as cool

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Carthag Tuek posted:

that was finnish (iirc jerry posted it anyway)

in danish they'd be larvae-feet or belt-vehicles which admittedly isnt as cool

Iceland too, maybe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_purism_in_Icelandic#Creation_of_new_words

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol it was even itt:

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I remember my grandmother talking about seeing American tanks during the war and referring to them as skriðdreki (crawling dragons).

sorry dingbat, as a scandinavian it is my wont to assign weird neologisms to the finns. i should know better, and i hereby acknowledge that icelanders also have them.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Shoudl still call them landship imho. Tank is a dumb name.

Just look at this etymological origin:

quote:

In military use, "armored, gun-mounted vehicle moving on continuous articulated tracks," the word originated late 1915. In "Tanks in the Great War" [1920], Brevet Col. J.F.C. Fuller quotes a memorandum of the Committee of Imperial Defence dated Dec. 24, 1915, recommending the proposed "caterpillar machine-gun destroyer" machines be entrusted to an organization "which, for secrecy, shall be called the 'Tank Supply Committee,' ..." In a footnote, Fuller writes, "This is the first appearance of the word 'tank' in the history of the machine." He writes that "cistern" and "reservoir" also were put forth as possible cover names, "all of which were applicable to the steel-like structure of the machines in the early stages of manufacture. Because it was less clumsy and monosyllabic, the name 'tank' was decided on." They were first used in action at Pozieres ridge, on the Western Front, Sept. 15, 1916, and the name was quickly picked up by the soldiers. Tank-trap attested from 1920.

Dumb. as. hell. :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Little Death posted:

Shoudl still call them landship imho. Tank is a dumb name.

Just look at this etymological origin:

Dumb. as. hell. :colbert:

yeah a code name is pointless if you start using it to openly describe the thing.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

In addition, the company has billed her as having the "longest undefeated streak in WWE history" at 914 days, though other wrestlers in the male division have had similar or longer win streaks. (This new billing also flew in the face of their claim in 1987 that Andre the Giant had been undefeated for fifteen years, prior to Wrestlemania III, creating a continuity error.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Manwich's slogan is, "A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal."[2]

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The first day of shooting included filming on location at a supermarket, the second day in a hospital and the third in a cemetery.[66] One of the props on the first day, a stuffed deer mounted on wheels, broke loose and caused a minor car accident

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

The first day of shooting included filming on location at a supermarket, the second day in a hospital and the third in a cemetery.[66] One of the props on the first day, a stuffed deer mounted on wheels, broke loose and caused a minor car accident

:ohdear:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm not buying in until it has a capability of at least 10 computes

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

not worthless

https://twitter.com/jlendino/status/1297642432973086720

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
In the mathematical theory of knots, the unknot, or trivial knot, is the least knotted of all knots.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The really good thing about Wikipedia is that there is an article related to an area of personal interest that I know has a straight up lie in it but correcting it would be original research

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Continuity RCP posted:

The really good thing about Wikipedia is that there is an article related to an area of personal interest that I know has a straight up lie in it but correcting it would be original research

IIRC what you do here is post a blog somewhere else on the web with the correct take and cite it when editing in the correction

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

or just change it, if it's niche enough nobody will notice or care.

one of the demonstrated shortcomings of wikipedia is that it reflects what "everybody knows" but not necessarily what's factual.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Midjack posted:

or just change it, if it's niche enough nobody will notice or care.

one of the demonstrated shortcomings of wikipedia is that it reflects what "everybody knows" but not necessarily what's factual.

It's about a British public figure

There's a citation to a newspaper article that just doesn't say the thing it's supposed to

Edit: not royalty or anything, an advisor to the PM. There's a claim she was a member of a Trotskyite group in the 90s that's become "common knowledge" but the group basically didn't exist when she was supposed to be a member. It's a dumb thing that bugs me

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 24, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the citation doesn't support the statement, delete the statement and put a note to that effect on the edit log. The Wikipedia spergs love that poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Continuity RCP posted:

It's about a British public figure

There's a citation to a newspaper article that just doesn't say the thing it's supposed to

Edit: not royalty or anything, an advisor to the PM. There's a claim she was a member of a Trotskyite group in the 90s that's become "common knowledge" but the group basically didn't exist when she was supposed to be a member. It's a dumb thing the bugs me

enjoy the slapfight in the talk page i guess.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

if its cited there but without supporting material, you could remove it since thats not true

or if im reading you incorrectly and the article it cited is wrong, you could find a starting date for the group and use that to remove the citation

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In the mathematical theory of knots, the unknot, or trivial knot, is the least knotted of all knots.

you missed the best part:

quote:

Common name Circle

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol yeah i thought about including the picture

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
my favorite thing lately was finding a see also: to temple OS referenced from the hypothetical third temple in Jerusalem page

former yosposter terry davis would no doubt be flattered

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
219 is a happy number.[1]

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Midjack posted:

enjoy the slapfight in the talk page i guess.

It's happening. The lesson is to never get involved in Wikipedia.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Okay, this is a whole other level of crazy.

I’ve discovered that almost every single article on the Scots version of Wikipedia is written by the same person - an American teenager who can’t speak Scots - Reddit

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
that’s a lomarf

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

please pretend I bothered to make :vince: but :scotland:

(I also didn’t bother to check if it already exists)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

quote:

apart from Wikipedia I'm a brony and an intp

O_O

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_stance

im the list of boxers

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

After this meeting, Brodie, whose polio vaccine was at least partially effective and reasonably safe, and who developed several ground-breaking ideas about vaccination whose validity was confirmed two decades later with the development of the Salk vaccine, was immediately fired and had trouble finding employment again. Brodie died three and a half years later.[57] Kolmer, an established researcher whose vaccine was unsafe and probably ineffective, kept his job, was given a second appointment as professor of medicine at the Temple University School of Dentistry the next year, continued to publish research papers, and received multiple awards throughout his academic career.[57][58]

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Hacienda de Lolol

Hacienda Lolol is located 75 kilometres (47 mi) from San Fernando, and 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Santa Cruz, through the I-72 route. The hacienda compresses lands used for agriculture and animal husbandry, an agricultural y Ganado, a reservoir of ten kilometers where mackerel fishing is common, known as the "Tranque de Lolol", and a four feet high monument near the dam erected to Saint Isidore the Laborer.

Dedicated to tourism, tourists to Hacienda Lolol may visit the place riding horses, and visit Casas patronales with lunches of typical Chilean food, accompanied by wines of the Colchagua Valley.