Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Punkin Spunkin posted:

How did people like I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House?
I appreciated the Shirley Jackson vibes and brevity, tho parts of it did come off as silly, unpolished (like the shocked death of Lily is really frightening and affecting imo but then that last glimpse of Polly after she "spooks" Lily to death was just kinda...stupid-looking) and overwritten at parts (but hey it revolves around a novelist so i get it, just a lil much esp at the end).

Ruth Wilson's performance was sometimes odd and child-like to the point where I assumed for a second there that she was just a fake person Polly was pretending to ghost-be as an excuse for still lingering/cuz she forgot her own death

I absolutely adore the movie, it's got a great gimmick and executes it flawlessly constantly framing every single shot with a huge empty <here comes the jumpscare> space, and never ever actually giving you any jumps. Not everyone's cup of tea of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Can we start noting where you watched something when we recommend it? Like "I recommend Police Cops (Netflix, US) for people who like shows about cops."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is Simpsons worth seeing on Disney yet, or is the aspect ratio still borked?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

doctorfrog posted:

Is Simpsons worth seeing on Disney yet, or is the aspect ratio still borked?

It's fixed

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm still mad they killed the Simpsons World website. It was so cool. They could have easily put it behind a Disney+ login.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Also enjoying Pose (NETFLIX) halfway through the second season. Some great acting and messaging, tho sometimes the script feels a bit unsubtle, repetitive, or dumbed down for "epic" moments. I do recommend the show.
Like, I love Candy's star episode but you didnt need her literally appearing before like ALL THE CHARACTERS to provide them easy catharsis. Her ghost was so overused, and in such a simple cliche way that i thought it almost (ALMOST) removed from the fantastic moments like her "final" ball and her interacting with her parents
Sometimes it also feels too...modern in sensibility? But I'm not informed enough to really talk on that. It's just like, would Blanca really have an epic moment flustering that evil landlord lady or would she not have just been "we don't have a contract and you're a trans woman of color, im just calling the cops on you"
Earlier the same woman literally goes "EVER HEARD OF GENTRIFICATION??"
i appreciate the white devils represented on the show like her and the Trump guys, but boy do they get unsubtle sometimes

Yeah, there is a lot to like and a lot to dislike about Pose. It has some really great emotional moments, and some fantastic acting. It also has some truly horrendous acting, and some pretty hamfisted plotting like murdering that dude and locking him in a trunk in the closet. The ladies on the show are either bitter rivals to the end, or sisters who will do anything for each other, depending on whichever dynamic is more convenient to the plot that week. Also, it's a little strange for a show that is all about gender, that the show adheres strictly to heternormative gender dynamics. Either you are a man, or a woman, and there is no in between, and certainly no drag queens (ignoring the fact that drag has always been a central component of ball culture). The only time any of the male characters try drag, they are hilariously bad at it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Interesting. Paul Walter Hauser was quite good in I, Tonya, so that has me curious. Is it funny at all?

Sam Rockwell has most of the comic relief and he's awesome like always, but Hauser is great and since you liked him in I, Tonya you might want to check it out. Plus if you have recollections of the 1996 Olympics it's an interesting nostalgia piece at times.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I loved Greasy Strangler, so thank you, that's what I needed to know.

BULLSHIT ARTIST

My wife and i were literally crying laughing at the scene where the dude is trying to say "potato". It goes on for so long!!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Possibly here, or possibly on one of the other 5000 streaming threads, someone described a show as being "like Band of Brothers in World War I". Can anyone remember what that show was, or identify it based on that description?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Der Shovel posted:

Possibly here, or possibly on one of the other 5000 streaming threads, someone described a show as being "like Band of Brothers in World War I". Can anyone remember what that show was, or identify it based on that description?

Black Adder IV

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Weirdly enough, much of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles fits that. Tonally not so much, but there are a few episodes that aren't all that far off.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm watching "Ramy" and the show is very good. I'm really disliking the main character as the show goes on though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I'm watching "Ramy" and the show is very good. I'm really disliking the main character as the show goes on though.

Yeah, I enjoyed season 1, but I only made it like 2 episodes into season 2 before I realized, oh, I really dislike him. I stopped watching.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah, I enjoyed season 1, but I only made it like 2 episodes into season 2 before I realized, oh, I really dislike him. I stopped watching.

I haven't started Season 2 yet as I just finished Season 1.

He comes off with strong "a good kid" vibes (despite being 30...) and tries to reconnect with his roots and figures out what it's like to be a "good Muslim". The issue is that he is a giant hypocrite. He refused to drink alcohol and do drugs yet he helps commit adultary, almost has sex with a VERY vulnerable minor, pressures his cousin for a relationship, and shows little care for his family's (particularly his mother's) feelings. Come to think of it, he doesn't really care for females much in general. What happened to that Jewish girl he was talking to? I thought he had a special connection with her?

He also gets upset about getting put into a "Muslim box" yet constantly does so to other Muslims such as the blind date girl or the disgusting scenes with him and his male cousin. I mean he wanted to see "the real" Egypt and what his cousin showed was absolutely part of it. Sorry the country didn't fill into the fantasies of it being a pure untainted mecca that was in your head.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah he is just a terrible human being that only gets worse and worse. I figure they might be trying for a Bojack Horseman thing where they tear him down for a few seasons before even attempting to build him back up. Though they forget to include the occasional good characteristic.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Jesus loving christ I just finished episode 3 of season 2. This dude is literally disgusting.

LOL at the teacher giving him the dog as a "last lesson" to him, when it was painfully obvious that he was just telling him to gently caress off and that he has to learn basic responsibility and discipline before reapproaching Islam.

It also fumes me that he claims he "learned nothing" from his Egypt experience.

I'll do a big effort post once I'm finished with the second season.

I haven't hated a main protagonist on a TV show so much since Samantha White in Dear White People.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Jesus loving christ I just finished episode 3 of season 2. This dude is literally disgusting.

LOL at the teacher giving him the dog as a "last lesson" to him, when it was painfully obvious that he was just telling him to gently caress off and that he has to learn basic responsibility and discipline before reapproaching Islam.

It also fumes me that he claims he "learned nothing" from his Egypt experience.

I'll do a big effort post once I'm finished with the second season.

I haven't hated a main protagonist on a TV show so much since Samantha White in Dear White People.

LOL my cousin almost went out with him.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MasqueradeOverture posted:

LOL my cousin almost went out with him.

Wait what!?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Heads up - Apple is offering CBS All Access + Showtime for $10/month right now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

feedmyleg posted:

Weirdly enough, much of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles fits that. Tonally not so much, but there are a few episodes that aren't all that far off.

It wasn't the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. It was some fairly recent show described as either "Band of Brothers but in WWI" or "Saving Private Ryan but in WWI", I can't remember which.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You sure it was a show? I can imagine 1917 getting that description. But here's Wikipedia's list of WWI drama series if any of them ring a bell—there aren't too many. Our World War seems to fit the bill pretty well.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 20, 2020

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Der Shovel posted:

Kind of sounds like They Shall Not Grow Old, but that is a documentary movie and not a drama tv show

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Vivarium on Prime is a little on the nose (the nose is flattened, it is obliterated), but it's still pretty scary.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

Vivarium on Prime is a little on the nose (the nose is flattened, it is obliterated), but it's still pretty scary.

Fuckkkkkkk that kid.

Season 4 of Brockmire finally hit Hulu, so now anyone who hasn't taken the dive can watch the show in its entirety. Cannot stress enough how good and weird it is, and how the writing staff is adept at avoiding the predictable character beats.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

feedmyleg posted:

You sure it was a show? I can imagine 1917 getting that description. But here's Wikipedia's list of WWI drama series if any of them ring a bell—there aren't too many. Our World War seems to fit the bill pretty well.

Our World War is most likely it. It’s only three stand-alone episodes with different people in each, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Apparently this is an award winning French movie about how gross the exploitation of children in the music/dance scene and internet culture is?

Netflix's marketing of it, however, gives a really different impression.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Jeffrey Epstein would have loved cuties.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
This is still not as weird as when twitter looked at Big Mouth's cast of animated characters that looked like inbred simpsons rejects and talked like 30 year old comedy writers, and thought "These sick fucks are trying to arouse me with these sexy, sexy kids"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Pose really SHOULD be such a better show. It's annoying. I still recommend people watch it just cuz well, how many shows are there really like Pose?
The cast isn't the problem, it's just got so much weak writing and plotting.

Good god that scene with the landlord villainess, as if her whole plot line in season 2 wasnt cartoonish and stupid in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT but to end it with her suddenly giving a speech full of feminist truth that IS APPARENTLY NOT MEANT TO BE FRAMED AS DISINGENUOUS where she suddenly also acknowledges Blanca as a woman???

And i guess everyone kinda just got over Pray Tell sleeping with Ricky, which is one wtf thing, but Blanca asking Pray if Ricky is giving him a good loving when they finally rekindle their friendship...like WHAT???

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 20, 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Pose really SHOULD be such a better show. It's annoying. I still recommend people watch it just cuz well, how many shows are there really like Pose?
The cast isn't the problem, it's just got so much weak writing and plotting.

Good god that scene with the landlord villainess, as if her whole plot line in season 2 wasnt cartoonish and stupid in EVERY SINGLE ASPECT but to end it with her suddenly giving a speech full of feminist truth that IS APPARENTLY NOT MEANT TO BE FRAMED AS DISINGENUOUS where she suddenly also acknowledges Blanca as a woman???

And i guess everyone kinda just got over Pray Tell sleeping with Ricky, which is one wtf thing, but Blanca asking Pray if Ricky is giving him a good loving when they finally rekindle their friendship...like WHAT???

The category is...Schlock from Ryan Murphy

I have ceased expecting anything more than what I get from Ryan Murphy. Dude just does not have the talent to go any further. All of his shows suffer from it, some sparks of brilliance in a sea of stylish lazy mediocrity.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm sorry, I just have to vent.

After finishing the second season, I can say without a doubt that Ramy has the protagonist I absolutely abhor more than any TV show I have watched. I have never encountered someone so self-entitled and outwardly destructive as he is.

To start things off, I really enjoyed how the show started off. The show focuses on Ramy who is a 30 year old Egyptian-American who often struggles with both his faith and how it stands in contrast to American customs and how it contradicts widely accepted humanist beliefs. There is also the awkward “coming of age” story about being 30 years old and yet still trying to establish yourself.

I really enjoy the premise of the show as these are things that I feel aren’t touched upon enough. It’s very interesting to see how people with much more orthodox faith or who are raised in families as such struggle to strike the balance between tradition and modern American life. You constantly see this throughout the show in not just the protagonist, but also his sister, his friends, and his love interests.

But perhaps what connects to me even more is how the series shows that even when you are in your mid-20s, late 20s, or even in your early 30s you still are in many ways feel or are even still in these awkward coming of age years we find ourselves during our teens to early 20s. In a way it signals that we never stop growing and are always on unstable ground.

So what makes me hate the show’s protagonist so much despite the series premise being so appealing to me? Quite simply he is a disgusting and extremely hypocritical human being who lacks empathy, self-awareness, self-control, and any emotional intelligence whatsoever.

The main character goes through what quite possibly is the fastest Flanderization in series I’ve encountered. Initially his “crimes” are things as simple as “Oh! I’m not supposed to jackoff because my faith forbids me to do it! I’m a lovely Muslim!” or “Oh! I’m not completely honest and trusting of my girlfriend about my faith and how comfortable I am with an interracial/religious relationship! I’m a lovely boyfriend!”

The show deals with these kind innocuous and at times humorous things to start with. However, the episode ends with Ramy dating a Muslim woman and being shocked at how forward and kinky it is. When she sees how reluctant Ramy is, she rightfully calls him out for putting her in a “Muslim box” and leaves him. In a typical show this would be a mini-character arc as they learn that they are stereotyping their own community the same way others stereotype them. But nope, Ramy does not get this message one bit and things gradually ramp up with each episode.

For starters his whole “don’t do alcohol, drugs, masturbation, or sex” goes from being an amusing thing to juggle with in the modern age, to just downright obnoxious. Because not only does Ramy always give in to these urges, but he regularly chastises his friends for engaging in the same activity with strong “Holier Than Thou” energy, despite him offending these rules more than any of them.

This is particularly annoying with one of the friends who isn’t even Muslim. And due to his medical condition and physical attributes he is in contestant need of aid to do pretty much anything, so Ramy often physically stops him from engaging in acts that Ramy believes are immoral and go against Ramy’s faith but not necessarily his friend’s.

Here are the following things that Ramy does during season 1 that are very off putting that I haven’t mentioned yet:

- Constantly bitches and complains about how he can’t find a woman who “connects with him” despite every episode involving him discovering one, only so that he can immediately ditch them the next episode.

- Has zero consideration for his mother’s feeling and making sure that she is “okay” mentally.

- Helps his friend have sex with an intoxicated minor (I guess him doing a drugs is a big no no but under aged sex/sexual interactions is ok?)

- Nearly has sex with an extremely vulnerable intoxicated minor and is only spared the deed out of chance

- Has sex with a married woman, which results in her marriage in turmoil and his father chastising him and telling him how his family disagreed with him leaving Egypt behind for America and how his family may have been right.

It’s clear that all of this paints Ramy as a huge hypocrite and generally unlikable, but where things really shift into gear with the last two episodes. Due to his mistakes at home, he decides to run away go to pilgrimage to Egypt in order to find himself.

Upon arriving in Egypt he meets with his cousin. He comes across as an “American bro” type who just happens to grow up in Egypt. And thus that’s how Ramy sees him. He visits his Egyptian family for the first time since he was a young teenager. They are all happy to see him, but what becomes apparent is that his Egyptian family is far from perfect and honestly in many ways worse than his family at home.

They have terrible views on politics and society in general. They are extremely materialistic, with even the oldest member pressuring and rudely dismissing Ramy for not giving him his friend’s iPad. The iPad that wasn’t even Ramy’s to begin with.

During the trip Ramy is obsessed with seeing “the real Egypt”. He constantly says this to others, especially his cousin who keeps recommending him places to visit, but Ramy refuses as those places aren’t “the real Egypt”. This is despite his cousin being born, raised, and living in…Egypt.

To be fair, it makes sense what Ramy wants. He wants to experience traditional conservative Islam practices and cultural touchstones in order to connect with his inner roots. But it’s how he expresses this and the lens he sees this through that is the problem. His cousin eventually convinces Ramy to go to a party in which Ramy is extremely judgmental and makes an rear end out of himself.

He opens up at the party by speaking to someone about the Egyptian Revolution. When anyone who is remotely well versed in it will know that the there was a fair amount of bloodshed during the transition and that the country is currently in a military dictatorship. Pretty much any world traveler will tell you the number one rule of when you are in a different country is that you don’t talk about politics.

He then proceeds to whine about how anti-Muslim the party is and then heavily criticize his cousin for using cocaine. His cousin has enough and pulls him over and explains to Ramy how Egypt really is. How his generation is lost and life in Egypt is in general very difficult.

Ramy reflects on this a bit and then apologizes. While at the party he meets yet another woman he is attracted to. He briefly speaks to her and finds that she would like to show him around more traditional parts of Egypt. Sadly, Ramy doesn’t see her at the part again. It isn’t until late at night back at his cousin’s house that he sees her again, and finds out that she is in fact his other cousin.

The next day Ramy goes off to visit his long lost grandpa where Ramy learns that despite his grandpa’s overt disapproval of his father moving to America, he actually was proud of his son and the choice he made. Unfortunately, before Ramy can press his grandfather with any questions he finds him dead.

During the funeral Ramy speaks with his female cousin. She obliges with her previous request and shows Ramy around Egypt. During this time they both bond with Ramy getting much more of the “authentic Egyptian experience” that he craved. It crescendos with him discovering a traditional prayer meet where he gets an experience like no other.

With the night just about over he is standing on a pier with his cousin. He proceeds to confess his feelings for her. She rejects him and tells him that he is crazy and they are just feeling a lot of strange emotions. They proceed kiss and then have sex. Ramy just had sex with his cousin…

This is how the first season ends and I couldn’t help but just hate Ramy. He is incredibly hypocritical, very self-absorbed, and doesn’t realize how he damages the people around him. Then Season 2 occurs and everything goes up to a ten.

Season 2 starts off with Ramy finding a new mosque and mentor in order to find better guidance in life. He speaks with the mentor. The mentor tells Ramy he will only take him in if Ramy is completely honest. Ramy proceeds to confess everything he did. But what stood out to me is that when he spoke about going to Egypt he said he “learned nothing” from the experience… So he went to his fatherland, found it in turmoil, found that the life his grandfather warned his father about was just as present in Egypt as it was in the United States, saw proof that his grandfather was proud of his father moving overseas and starting a new life, found unique and touching traditions including the best prayer in his life. And Ramy learned nothing from all of this?

The mentor takes him in on the account that Ramy does one single thing…that he always tells him the truth. The following proceeds to happen:

- Ramy finds a homeless vet who is extremely erratic and suffers from PTSD

- Wanting to impress his mentor, Ramy does his best to pressure the homeless vet that he should work for the mosque

- The vet clearly not in his right state of mind agrees.

- Ramy walks the vet to the mosque which the vet has a panic attack from hearing the muslim prayer and confesses to Ramy that he has killed many people

- Ramy calms the vet down (barely) and meets with his mentor.

- When he meets with his mentor he completely leaves out that the vet has clear signs of PTSD and his killed people in the past

This results in his mentor hiring the homeless vet and giving him a job. Initially the vet does well and enjoys working at the mosque so much that he wants to convert to Islam. The mosque agrees, but unfortunately during his conversion sermon there are anti-Muslim “protestors” outside. As soon as the vet is converted to Islam he storms outside and beats a protestor up so bad that he is an inch away from death. The entire thing is caught on video and goes viral.

Now you would think that Ramy realizing that him withholding information that the man he introduced had PTSD would result in a tearful confession toward his mentor. But no. He doesn’t say anything at all. He pretends that it was just a spontaneous thing that happened for no reason that no one couldn’t have predicted.

The next day him and his mentor visit the jail the vet is staying at.The mentor quickly finds out everything Ramy was hiding from him. He notices that the man is very erratic and seems to be desperate to buy into anything Ramy says to make sense of things, especially "that Islam stuff" as he puts it. The vet is worried about his dog that he left in his car over the past two days. The mentor and Ramy search for the dog all day and night. Despite Ramy's protests to quit, the mentor continues on and they find the dog. Upon returning to the mosque, the mentor tells Ramy that he isn't ready to go under his guidance and that if Ramy wants to be more in touch with the way of Islam, he has to take care of the dog first, as he should learn to care for it and that the dog will be very important to him in the future as it "chose him". In other words learn some basic responsibility.

So what's the first thing Ramy does when he gets home? What does he do after realizing that the man he tried to help is in jail for putting another man in a vegetative state? What does he do after betraying his mentor and putting the mosque he claimed he was so committed into jeopardy? What does he do after he claims he is turning a new leaf? He casually masturbates as if nothing happened. It's seriously one of the most disgusting things I've seen on TV. Not because masturbation is bad, but because he just seems not to care about the damage and destruction he has caused and sees the events in a"well that sucks" type of way.

At this point in the show, you wonder how you could possible hate him more. And then the show takes a turn where you know exactly how it is going to end from the onset. After two months of not taking care of the dog and learning or doing a single thing his mentor said, Ramy goes back to the mosque. He sees the mentor's daughter and asks her if he could help in anyway. She mentions that she's going to a former backer of the mosque to secure an investment they had lost due to the negative media coverage. Ramy convinces her to let him come due to him knowing Arabic and being able to translate since the funder being primarily an Arabic speaker he will likely be more trusting of someone who speaks the mother tongue. But when they get there Ramy realizes that they don't speak the same dialect as them and essentially embarrasses them and is in general all around useless.

However the ex-financial backer is interested in Ramy's dog, mostly due to its obedience to Ramy (the ex-financial backer is a horrible Jeffrey Epstein tier monster but treats animals well). He says that if Ramy gives him his dog then he will provide them with the financial assistance for the year. Ramy's mentor told him that the dog is special and will be key with Ramy making amends. Now anyone with common sense can put two and two together and realize that the dog's purpose was for this moment. But not Ramy. He declines and the backer asks him to do a challenge instead in which he succeeds they get the money but if they lose he gets the dog. Ramy...fails but due to a stroke of luck of the guy having crazy logic involving drinking Mia Khalifia's breast milk, Ramy secures the funds and keeps his dog.

As viewer witnessing this, you can't help but shake your head as Ramy clearly got lucky. However, the mentor's daughter sees things differently and sees a side of Ramy that she is attracted to. Ramy's mentor said that his daughter asked him for his permission if she could explore a relationship with Ramy. His mentor told him that he will allow it but tells Ramy that he has to confess to his daughter of his past deeds. Most notably he also tells Ramy, in a very vulnerable yet firm way, "please do not desecrate my daughter". Now Ramy being Ramy, you know that he's going to. But he does it in the worst possible way he could do it. Not in a positive way involving her freeing herself via the patriarchy. Not even in a more negative way in him "unintentionally" pressuring her in night of drugs and alcohol leading to sex. No no no. That's not what he does.

What happens is that Ramy bonds with his mentor's daughter via video chat for an entire month. They then decide to get married. However, a two days before his marriage he finds out that his family from Egypt is coming, including both of his cousins. Ramy freaks out about this like a literal crying child as he screams at his mother storms out of the room. The next day he meets with his cousins again and they seem happy to see him. Later that night his female cousin wants cigarettes and his mom can't go so she asks Ramy to take her. They then proceed to have sex the night before Ramy gets married...

So the next day Ramy gets married, looks guilty the entire time but tells nobody anything but tells his friends that he may have urges to still do stuff with other women to which one of his friends responds with "well The Prophet had multiple wives, why can't you?" Being stupid, Ramy takes this into legitimate consideration. Keep in mind at this point Ramy has EVERYTHING he could ever ask for. A beautiful and smart wife, his mentor officially part of his family, and him being closer to his roots in Egypt, yet he still feels "empty"...

Anyway, Ramy gets married and proceeds to have sex with his wife. Literally a few seconds after having sex he talks to her about him having multiple wives and confesses to her that he had sex with his cousin the night before (oh yeah I forgot to type that Ramy didn't really disclose to his wife what he actually did, because of course he didn't). Being more disgusted than angry his wife immediately goes to sleep with Ramy falling asleep not long after. Ramy wakes up to find his wife gone and his father-in-law mentor sitting beside him.

What proceeds to happen is Ramy trying to apologize in the bitchiest and whiniest ways possible while showing no legit remorse for what he's done. He barely brings up how he has hurt his wife and is more worried about how he has sabotaged his relationship with his mentor. In fact, he doesn't even mention his wife beyond the opening sentences. His mentor mentions that the guy the vet Ramy brought to the church beat to near death...died. To which Ramy responds with literally "Oh that's bad. I mean he was a racist and wanted us all to die, but he didn't deserve to die." After a few more minutes of Ramy constantly not taking any real responsibility for his actions, his mentor finally snaps and literally tells Ramy to gently caress off and that he nothing but a "little little boy" and that he always hurts people. He also tells Ramy that he has never met someone like him and can't fix or help him. Still believing that he can make amends, Ramy runs to the bathroom to cleanse himself and runs back out to continue the conversation with his mentor. But his mentor is no longer there, he is gone.

Taking zero introspection from this extremely traumatic moment he returns home to speak with his female cousin. But upon getting there he finds his entire family sitting down conversation. They greet him and clearly aren't aware of the situation at hand. Before Ramy can speak with his female cousin, his male cousin pulls him over. The male cousin confesses to Ramy that he starting to have feelings for Ramy's sister and feels guilty that he has feelings for his cousin. He then storms off feeling disgusted at himself. Ramy then sees his female cousin go outside and Ramy follows him. Not long after his male cousin gets himself in a bind as Ramy's sister wants to take him to the Apple store to get him a new charger. But we know nothing is going to come from this because despite Ramy's cousin being a shallow American society corrupted bro, he is still ten times the man Ramy is.

Ramy speaks with his female cousin and tries to convince her that they belong together. She gives him a firm no as she explains to him that whenever she is with him she feels disgusted and is filled with regret. And she continues on with how emotionally manipulative Ramy is as he constantly pressures her when she is in emotionally vulnerable situations. She goes back inside and Ramy leaves his house not long after. He takes his dog to the car he found it in. He starts up the car and finds out there is a CD in the stereo. It's titled "How to be a Good Muslim" Ramy listens to it for guidance and inspiration.

There is something very sickening about this. He is in a car listening to a CD that belonged to a man who Ramy essentially manipulated into purchasing. A man who now sits in jail for life for murdering someone, due to Ramy misjudging and manipulating him. A man that if Ramy left alone, then it wouldn't have led the events unfolding into a way where he would marry the mentor's daughter and eventually throw both the daughter and the mentor's lives in turmoil. By every account Ramy should be hearing this CD and begin tearing down, crying in the car. The CD is covered in the blood through his wake. Yet, he doesn't see that, he just takes the CD as a "sign" of how he should be a "good Muslim" instead of a "good person". It's loving disgusting.

I was convinced that this show pulled a Bojack Horseman. In which the first couple episodes have you think it will be a show about a self-absorbed (but not comically so) character who has to juggle multiple aspects of their life as they discover the correct path they should follow, but only to gradually see that the protagonist is actually a loving monster.

Yet, upon watching an interview with the show's creator...this isn't the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDxbFwFjW1M

He just sees the show as a commentary of how Muslim conservative culture clashes with growing up with liberal Western American values. As if somehow him destroying people's lives is just part of the struggle. And with the show being described as "semi-autobiographical" I really hope that only goes as far as "it's about a Muslim millennial growing up in New Jersey."

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I hope he wins another Golden Globe and you melt down into oblivion

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

I hope he wins another Golden Globe and you melt down into oblivion

I'm not surprised he won a Golden Globe as he's making me feel some type of way. They say great art gets reaction and I'm reacting into a literal corncob.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 21, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
CBS All Access to split off from the CBS app, be renamed Paramount+ is 2021.

e: if reports are correct

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 21, 2020

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not surprised he won a Golden Globe as he's making me feel some type of way. They say great art gets reaction and I'm reacting into a literal corncob.
I had similar kinds of feelings while (and after) watching Friends From College... it disgusted me, and I genuinely ended up angry that I couldn't stop watching.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
So last night I decided to check out some shows that have been on my Netflix watchlist for awhile now, just to see if any stick. First episode of Mindhunter seems, ok. I might give it another episode, I dunno. After that I checked out Dark, which was much more interesting, definitely gonna watch some more of that.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BisterdDave posted:

After that I checked out Dark, which was much more interesting, definitely gonna watch some more of that.

Watching all three seasons at once without a year gap between seasons would probably do wonders for keeping track of who is who and remembering what is going on. It gets pretty amazingly complicated. Each season finale adds another order of magnitude of stuff to keep track of. I’m glad they wrapped it up in 3 seasons because it would have been impossible to keep going.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I made it like 3 episodes through Bojack Horseman (long before it became the critical darling) and decided life was too short. I appreciate the wave-off on Ramy.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

BisterdDave posted:

So last night I decided to check out some shows that have been on my Netflix watchlist for awhile now, just to see if any stick. First episode of Mindhunter seems, ok. I might give it another episode, I dunno. After that I checked out Dark, which was much more interesting, definitely gonna watch some more of that.

Mindhunter is a slow burn, but absolutely worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

david_a posted:

Watching all three seasons at once without a year gap between seasons would probably do wonders for keeping track of who is who and remembering what is going on. It gets pretty amazingly complicated. Each season finale adds another order of magnitude of stuff to keep track of. I’m glad they wrapped it up in 3 seasons because it would have been impossible to keep going.

Agreed. I watched season 1 two years ago and I'm just starting season 2 and I'm struggling to remember who is who. I read a text recap and then realized that I definitely needed a video one because it actually shows the characters.

Dark is a great show though, highly recommend especially if you like time travel stuff. They did an excellent job of casting the young and old versions of the characters.