Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

empty sea posted:

Bread and butter pickles are dogshit. Pickles should be sour and astringent and sometimes spicy. Their purpose is to cut through the fattiness of BBQ meats, cheeses or sweet sauces. That's what they are there for, to add that tangy, sharp note to whatever you're eating so that it isn't all fats.

What the gently caress do you put a sweet pickle on? Why would you even bother?

I hope you choke on sweet pickles, you freak.

APAB (all pickles are bastards) and I hope you all choke on your favorite stupid variety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’m a slut for kombucha and it’s the only thing that revived me from a hangover outside of violently throwing up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still say an app that existed solely to deliver blue Powerade at the press of a button would make bank

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teen witch posted:

I’m interested and terrified.

Yeah briny savory spicy with some crunchy maldon salt MMMUAH

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

teen witch posted:

I’m a slut for kombucha and it’s the only thing that revived me from a hangover outside of violently throwing up

Best hangover cure in the world is Pocari Sweat.

It tastes like arse, but it does it's job.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

teen witch posted:

Do they sell Berocca in the US? Its like an aussie alka seltzer but also a giant multi vitamin and also orange. Its great for hangovers and making your pee glow.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Best hangover cure in the world is Pocari Sweat.

It tastes like arse, but it does it's job.

It somehow improved in flavor when it comes back up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

The_Continental posted:

Do they sell Berocca in the US? Its like an aussie alka seltzer but also a giant multi vitamin and also orange. Its great for hangovers and making your pee glow.

I’ve never seen it in the US but I can get it in Sweden no problem

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I wonder how many people without gluten intolerance/Celiac disease who still have a bad time after eating bread/gluten-adjacent things actually have a yeast intolerance? I know a guy who recently got tested and turned out to have that. Now his only pickles will be lacto-fermented because there's so much yeast in non-apple cider vinegar.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

teen witch posted:

I’ve never seen it in the US but I can get it in Sweden no problem

is vätskeersättning tablets not a thing in the us or what

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

von Braun posted:

is vätskeersättning tablets not a thing in the us or what

I’d say yes but most people would go to water or Gatorade for a hangover. I’ve never used them in the US

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

teen witch posted:

I am also a komboochie. I started drinking it very recently and it's really good!

Pickles are actually a really good hangover cure. They are full of electrolytes!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I realise that Idiocracy world is one that makes hangovers so much easier to handle

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Enfys posted:

It's definitely a thing and really delicious. You can throw chilies and other herbs/spices in when making sauerkraut.

There's a thing in Carolina & surrounding states called "chow chow" that's cabbage and other end-of-season veggies all chopped up in a relish, most of the time with hot pepper too. I absolutely adore it, the stuff is amazing spooned over red beans & rice and stuff like that.

Not exactly a sauerkraut and more of a pickle, but you could probably also sour ferment it like kraut.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xelkelvos posted:

Sounds like someone so doesn't appreciate a good kimchi

i appreciate a good kim chee but there are so many worthless kim chees in the world. if the brine looks like water, and it's sweeter than it is salty, spicy, or sour, it shouldn't be allowed to be sold

B33rChiller posted:

I'm a white guy who grew up in the northern Canadian prairies. I was raised on what might be considered a stereotypical "midwest" diet. Plain everything. Meat & potatoes. If my father felt like something a bit "spicy", he might put some green bell pepper on it.

i was raised on a typical "i learned to cook in the 60s and 70s in america" diet, which is as bland as typical midwestern fare. i knew food could be good, and longed for it. when i left for college i just cooked for myself all the time or got interesting foods from local joints and it was great. i'm happy to try anything that doesn't outright disgust me, like insects.

to this day my family continues to eat iceberg lettuce by the fistful, and complains that cherry tomatoes are too flavorful. we aren't even white

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 21, 2020

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

APAB (all pickles are bastards) and I hope you all choke on your favorite stupid variety

Look at this sad sad man :(

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Sun-dried tomatoes are nasty little wads of old period panties and I wish they would gently caress a piss

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Sun-dried tomatoes are nasty little wads of old period panties and I wish they would gently caress a piss

OK, I can never eat sun dried tomatoes again, or hot dogs. haha!

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Waterbed Wendy posted:

thought this was the menstruation megathread for a second.

also you say things like this a lot. always pissing and making GBS threads and bleeding.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

This feels racist against onions. Like he sees a neighbor enjoying a juicy onion covered burger and says "well there goes the neighborhood"

"I'm not eating those. You know what their kind are like."

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish yams weren't so lazy.

Star Me Kitten
Aug 10, 2020

Strumpie posted:

thought this was the menstruation megathread for a second.

also you say things like this a lot. always pissing and making GBS threads and bleeding.

Hot.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Strumpie posted:

I embrace the leavings, it's ok to do this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I also completely understand everything in my body wanting to leave because so do I.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Pyrotoad posted:

I wonder how many people without gluten intolerance/Celiac disease who still have a bad time after eating bread/gluten-adjacent things actually have a yeast intolerance? I know a guy who recently got tested and turned out to have that. Now his only pickles will be lacto-fermented because there's so much yeast in non-apple cider vinegar.
Lacto fermentation is the bomb, I made some hotsauce that way following goon advice, I also have a giant hippy fermentation crock I need to use more often.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Any other culinary pros out there remember a few years back when every chef read The Noma Guide to Fermentation and every menu had "house pickles" for like 7 bux on their menu? gently caress, glad thats over.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

The_Continental posted:

Any other culinary pros out there remember a few years back when every chef read The Noma Guide to Fermentation and every menu had "house pickles" for like 7 bux on their menu? gently caress, glad thats over.

now every taco has quick pickled red onion and costs 3.50 each instead of 1.25 like god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

pickled red onion is super traditional, especially in yucatan and other southern mexican cuisine. I personally love them and will take them over shredded iceberg any day. Then again I've rarely met a taco I didn't like.