Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

pretty sure Anogg and Konogg got White Chlorination Syndrome from the factory...

(We'll be fine because of the Blessing of Light or something)

There is approximately zero chance we won't be fighting one or both as a boss in the third raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They take off their hats, revealing that they are Devola and Popola.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Clarste posted:

They take off their hats, revealing that they are Devola and Popola.

But Devola and Popola live in the Ruby Sea

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Never stopped them before

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Regy Rusty posted:

Never stopped them before

No one stops. No stopping.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Eimi posted:

Easy term of phrase, rather the XI plot was that Altana was jealous that Promathia was the god of creation, and so she imprisoned him and stole his powers. She used this to create the five main races as her children to worship her. Promathia tricks the Zilart into freeing him and creates the beast races in revenge against Altana, vowing to destroy her creation. So you're stuck in the war between them. Promathia is totally justified but if he wins, well you all die horribly. Altana is as it turns out a horrible rear end in a top hat and worshipping her isn't good either.

I know this was a few pages ago at this point, but... I'm sorry, but having played and beaten Chains of Promathia, this is complete bullshit. None of it is true.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Melomane Mallet posted:

I know this was a few pages ago at this point, but... I'm sorry, but having played and beaten Chains of Promathia, this is complete bullshit. None of it is true.

What is true then?

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

thetoughestbean posted:

What is true then?

E4: You know what, I made a complete mess of my explanation so I'm scrapping the whole thing and starting over (for all two of the people who scroll back far enough to care): *deep breath* Basically:

Promathia was the god of death and was planning to envelop the world in Emptiness using the power of the mothercrystal; in order to stop him, Altana took the mothercrystal, divided it into five and created the five playable races to contain Promathia's dispersed Emptiness. As children of Promathia we all contain a piece of that Emptiness (unlike the Zilart): it's what makes us mortal.

The beastmen did not exist until after Promathia's death, but a bunch of moblins (similar to goblins) found a statue of Promathia in their mines and started worshiping it because they assumed it was their god.

Chains of Promathia's whole story kicks off because Emptiness started leaking from the mothercrystals and Bahamut decided the only way to stop Promathia and the Emptiness was to wipe out the player races, so Promathia couldn't use that inherent Emptiness to resurrect.

On a final note, one of the characters in this is a samurai from the Far East named Tenzen, who wields a blade containing the soul of the terrestrial avatar Phoenix. And now you know where the Tenzen/Suzaku thing in FF14 comes from! :eng101:

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 21, 2020

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thinkin about Zenos in the main thread,

was it ever explained how he body hopped after 4.0? We dig up his grave to find his body missing but I don't remember if it came up aside from crazy Resonant bullshit.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

His body was missing because Elidibus jacked it.

As for how Zenos survived, I'm assuming there Resonant somehow gave him Ascian like powers when he died. It seemed like that Sahagin shaman back in 2.x was body-hopping.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Veotax posted:

His body was missing because Elidibus jacked it.

As for how Zenos survived, I'm assuming there Resonant somehow gave him Ascian like powers when he died. It seemed like that Sahagin shaman back in 2.x was body-hopping.

The Echo/Resonant is literally waking up to some of the powers of the ancients, so it’s the same powers as the Ascians use

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zenos seems to have a deeper connection to his Ancient pre-self than most sundered souls do, what with regular dreams of the starshower. I suspect that's why he has a larger percentage of what Ascians can do than the average person with the echo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbR8TtVWReI

He did the whole thing!

E: Pft, apparently Square shared the snippet he did for the original video and Soken literally asked him to make a full version

https://twitter.com/SOKENsquareenix/status/1294163445420421120?s=20

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 20, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That owns so hard

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I'm beginning to wonder if Zenos isn't actually Shinryu at this point. Not like he's not Zenos any more, just kind of like how Sephiroth and Jenova are technically the same person during FF7. Could definitely see them leaning into him being a shard of Elidibus the way the WoL is probably a shard of Azem, too.

:eyepop:

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

badass. Alex's analysis videos are all great too

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if Zenos isn't actually Shinryu at this point. Not like he's not Zenos any more, just kind of like how Sephiroth and Jenova are technically the same person during FF7. Could definitely see them leaning into him being a shard of Elidibus the way the WoL is probably a shard of Azem, too.

He can't be a shard of Elidibus because there are no shards of Elidibus, he was one of three people who didn't get split apart by Hydaelyn.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eopia posted:

He can't be a shard of Elidibus because there are no shards of Elidibus, he was one of three people who didn't get split apart by Hydaelyn.

oh, duh, right

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Final Fantasy XIV 5.3 Spoiler Thread: Please kill us with a funky beat!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Chillgamesh posted:

I'm beginning to wonder if Zenos isn't actually Shinryu at this point. Not like he's not Zenos any more, just kind of like how Sephiroth and Jenova are technically the same person during FF7.

I could get behind this take that Zenos has been controlled by an angry murder-dragon. It actually makes some degree of sense; Shinryu was born out of raw desire to gently caress the Empire's poo poo right the gently caress up, and what does Zenos start working towards RIGHT after dodging death?

But I don't think it'd happen, because that sounds too interesting a problem, and Zenos is not a man with interesting problems.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Zenos seems to have a deeper connection to his Ancient pre-self than most sundered souls do, what with regular dreams of the starshower. I suspect that's why he has a larger percentage of what Ascians can do than the average person with the echo.

Well he is an immediate descendant of an Ascian though who knows how much of a difference that makes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Varis was too and it didn't help him much.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Varis was too and it didn't help him much.

Well you see, necrotransferrence skips a generation.

goddammit what if varis comes back wearing a dead guy's body now too

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I would accept it if somehow he got stuck in a lalafell body.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What if he's Haurchefant

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I like imagining that the devs realized they'd made varis but never given you a chance to fight him before he gets offed, which lead to pretending you fight him in cid's dreams.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think switching out Varis to bring Zenos back as the big bad is my least favorite plot twist in the game. Fighting the Empire as led by someone who actually gave a poo poo about it seemed fine to me.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Varis is not exactly bursting with depth and pathos in comparison to his kid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I think switching out Varis to bring Zenos back as the big bad is my least favorite plot twist in the game. Fighting the Empire as led by someone who actually gave a poo poo about it seemed fine to me.

I think it was necessary for it to break because the Empire was just a long term Ascian plot and it descending into civil war once the Ascians are gone makes a ton of sense considering the Garlean philosophy of fetishizing strength.

Zenos is the perfect encapsulation of the Garlean ideal. He is one of the strongest beings alive and can enforce his will through that strength and it ends up turning to poo poo because he doesn't care about anything but a fight.

Varis being slain by the embodiment of his philosophy (as well as his own son and kind of an Ascian) is the perfect way for him to go out.

It sucked when we didn't get to fight him but they resolved that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rand Brittain posted:

Varis is not exactly bursting with depth and pathos in comparison to his kid.

Daddy issues and nihilism are not depth or pathos.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zenos's only contribution atm is sitting around looking bored while the Ascian he barely tolerates chews scenery, so idk how much difference it makes. I'm just sick of him because we've already been here before. If there's another twist and he's removed as the central villain of the next arc, I'll praise them for that when it happens.

I think anything they give us obviously has a lot to live up to after this expansion, but a retread just feels like the worst possible choice to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 21, 2020

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
Zenos is gonna get offed halfway through 6.0 by Fandaniel who takes the power of Zodiark for himself or something, callin it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zenos will go out in 6.3 and the Warrior of Light's final dialogue options will be between "I wish you could have been around longer." and "I liked you more than Emet-Selch."

Fandaniel will get punked by Altima last moment so they can do a double-dip on Tactics.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Pyrus Malus posted:

Zenos is gonna get offed halfway through 6.0 by Fandaniel who takes the power of Zodiark for himself or something, callin it

I love that I have no idea if Zenos will kill Fandaniel, or if Fandaniel will kill Zenos, but either one seems more likely than both of them surviving to face us.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no way this all doesn't end with a zodiark v hydaelyn mech battle. the only question is who our opponent is and who is piloting what

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we do fight varis earlier on... at the negotiating table. its a nice homage to ff6 where you go and negotiate with the empire for no reason before kefka kills the emperor and plunges things into chaos

that also makes zenos kefka in this scenario...

someone should probably keep him away from the warring triad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Farg posted:

no way this all doesn't end with a zodiark v hydaelyn mech battle. the only question is who our opponent is and who is piloting what

"oh we have both kinds of anime - mecha and magic girl"

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

we do fight varis earlier on... at the negotiating table. its a nice homage to ff6 where you go and negotiate with the empire for no reason before kefka kills the emperor and plunges things into chaos

that also makes zenos kefka in this scenario...

someone should probably keep him away from the warring triad

The last thing we need is Zenos hijacking Sephirot, because with the extra arms he could use all his katanas at once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

The last thing we need is Zenos hijacking Sephirot, because with the extra arms he could use all his katanas at once.

Here me out.

A power multi armed fighter who likes to collect weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hogama posted:

Zenos will go out in 6.3 and the Warrior of Light's final dialogue options will be between "I wish you could have been around longer." and "I liked you more than Emet-Selch."

This is ideal.