Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gang, I think we could all use a peace summit on creepy Cardassia Prime right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

No, it's a look at the characteristics of what the writers of this show have written. What's weird about analyzing the object of a thread on a discussion forum?

It's not an analysis, it's a statement and one that's pretty excessive, and sounds pretty angry tho obviously tone is hard in text.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Reposting for the new page, without the snarky reference. Lets leave that poo poo behind please.

Identify all of the references in this shot

I'm still the Suliban showing up for the first time, chronologically, since Enterprise

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's not an analysis, it's a statement and one that's pretty excessive, and sounds pretty angry tho obviously tone is hard in text.

How is it not an analysis? What are you even talking about?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

How is it not an analysis? What are you even talking about?

Oh my god please just stfu about it

I am sorry I ever posted about posting because I should have known what would happen

Make a post about star trek please

vv this doesnt deserve another post so im doing this. I'm not angry at all just exhausted by your bullshit and disappointed in myself for my part in triggering it

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 21, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The Bloop posted:

Oh my god please just stfu about it

I am sorry I ever posted about posting because I should have known what would happen

Make a post about star trek please

Is this to show us what being irrationally angry looks like?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Reposting for the new page, without the snarky reference. Lets leave that poo poo behind please.

Identify all of the references in this shot

I'm still the Suliban showing up for the first time, chronologically, since Enterprise

I’m the whales the aliens keep trying to chat up. We’re not interested, jeez, take a hint!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm still enjoying the existence of all the modern Trek. Lower Decks is good so far. Really looking forward to the next season of Discovery. And Picard, while it missed the mark in many ways, still had some really good moments that I'm glad I watched for.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

What does it say?

And why is one side throwing around poo poo and the other side "criticizing"?

saying that it's painfully unfunny or that things are objectively not jokes aren't really criticisms. Maybe the poo poo being thrown around isn't aimed at people doing legitimate breakdowns of the show's shortcomings? Once again, the least charitable interpretation of a post

also lmfao post/custom text combo

I think it says that you're just annoyed that some people vocally don't like the Thing That Is Not Meant To Be Taken Seriously and it's obviously wound you up a bit. You're going off, and taking pithy little shots at people like this thread is infested with youtube reactionaries or something and it's unwarranted. You can probably sense this though, so I'm done.

Star Trek sucks now I'm replacing it with Space 1999 reruns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Super done with being dragged into doomposting about Trek or posting about posting, sorry again for starting it, good faith posters

CONTENT:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

top left:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom right:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I knew these guys looked familiar

That was such a sad episode :(

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Martytoof posted:

I think he mentioned that he wasn't going to reprise Q in person in an interview somewhere recently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU4zka4YFe4&t=160s
Doesn't outright deny the possibility, just isn't expecting it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

David Ogden Stiers really sold it, as did Majel

:gowron: And holy poo poo I didn't even notice till you quoted it that the character in LDS even had Timicin's same outfit!

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
I'd pay good money to make the Federation president a humpback whale. :)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I also wanted to just throw out there that if you can't tell The Orville and LDS are meant to be very different shows based just off their intros, I dunno what to tell you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It’s super overlooked too, probably because lots of folks dislike Lwaxana. It’s probably in my personal TNG top 10.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s super overlooked too, probably because lots of folks dislike Lwaxana. It’s probably in my personal TNG top 10.

I can understand why people might dislike her, she's bombastic and loud and obnoxious, and that's exactly why I love her :swoon:

But in all honesty when she emotes it's incredible. I agree that it's in my TNG top 10. The Forsaken is also an excellent DS9 episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Petition for a Lwaxanna Rocks gang tag

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I will admit that the references are a bit much, because they generally seem fairly shoehorned in. "Surrounded by spears - who am I, Kirk?" is kind of lame. "Oooh, Sulu used a sword, you can be like Sulu!" is kind of lame.

"How about Sulu? Ooh, he rocked a sword. That was his thing. That could be your thing, too! We're due for a new sword guy!"

This might have been a meta reference to Elnor.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

xerxus posted:

"How about Sulu? Ooh, he rocked a sword. That was his thing. That could be your thing, too! We're due for a new sword guy!"

Hmmm what if they're in the JJverse

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 21, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

xerxus posted:

This part was the worst offender tbh, because Mariner was literally just rattling off name after name after name with zero context.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I can understand why people might dislike her, she's bombastic and loud and obnoxious, and that's exactly why I love her :swoon:

But in all honesty when she emotes it's incredible. I agree that it's in my TNG top 10. The Forsaken is also an excellent DS9 episode.

Someone in these threads once made the very good point that most folks probably dislike Lwaxana because as a kid you don’t understand why this annoying horny lady is getting in the way of all the fun space adventure poo poo. But looking back as an adult she loving owns because she’s there specifically to make all these stuffy *~enlightened 24th century~* people as uncomfortable as possible.

Basically:

The Bloop posted:

Petition for a Lwaxanna Rocks gang tag
:hmmyes:

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone in these threads once made the very good point that most folks probably dislike Lwaxana because as a kid you don’t understand why this annoying horny lady is getting in the way of all the fun space adventure poo poo. But looking back as an adult she loving owns because she’s there specifically to make all these stuffy *~enlightened 24th century~* people as uncomfortable as possible.

Basically:

What about being an adult makes you admire someone whose goal is to make others uncomfortable?

I like Lwaxana but that's absolutely not why.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Super Deuce posted:

What about being an adult makes you admire someone whose goal is to make others uncomfortable?

I like Lwaxana but that's absolutely not why.

I’m saying it’s easier to like her when you’re an adult because that character doesn’t appeal to kids, especially when you’re just tuning in for the main cast and mystery of the week stuff.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically:

Lwaxana also has an edge to her character. She acts horny and unconcerned with what's going on but the story always ends with her either providing the solution to the current dilemma or revealing she's been fully on top of events the whole time.

e: her presence also puts the crew in their place because unlike them, she is an Actually Important citizen of the Federation who's business they need to facilitate and she's also fully into the hedonistic life that the utopian Federation allows for.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 22, 2020

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Martytoof posted:

Music doesn’t travel in a vacuum :colbert:

The music didn't. It went over the comms channel. Which is why the Captain lied and said "it's on your end"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am not a big fan of Peter David’s ST books other than New Frontier. They tend to be a mess.

You want John Ford and Diane Duane for good ST books.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
Hooray! Discovery Season 3 out October 15! (I'm a bit behind with news)
https://twitter.com/Jemppu/status/1288987612305293314?s=20

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Strong Convections posted:

I love they kept Tilly's thickness.

My issue with Lwaxana is most of the episodes with her in it are not very good. Whether that's because they wrote the episodes around her rather than having her in the episodes, or the writers don't know how to write her I can't really say. There are good episodes with her, Half a Life is great example where she's fantastic, mostly becuase she's not all wacky and getting everyone to losen up, but she's part of a serious emotional arc that works really well. Which is probably why her DS9 episodes do more with this rather than making her an agent of chaos and id she is in TNG most of the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Look man if you want to twist my words to fit your narrative at least be accurate. I said that I don't mind that character development is slower than on a full-length Trek show, and that I am impressed they have time to fit a b-plot into a 22-minute episode. If I wanted to say "I wish they would cut the b-plots to develop the characters better," I would have said that.
I didn't say you said it or wanted to say it. I'm saying it. Based on your analysis (that character development has been slow but they still have time for a B plot). You seem to think that's fine. I'm saying they should have cut the B plot and given some time to character development.

And making comparisons to the amount of screen-time it took a 45-minute drama to establish characters - especially when that drama is almost universally acknowledged to have been not great in its first season - is just nonsense. If you're writing a two hour movie then you know you've got two hours. If you're writing a five minute short then you know you've got five minutes. You pace things accordingly. Or, as in the cases of both Lower Decks and Next Generation, you don't and that's a mistake.

Do all these characters even have names?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I didn't say you said it or wanted to say it. I'm saying it. Based on your analysis (that character development has been slow but they still have time for a B plot). You seem to think that's fine. I'm saying they should have cut the B plot and given some time to character development.

And making comparisons to the amount of screen-time it took a 45-minute drama to establish characters - especially when that drama is almost universally acknowledged to have been not great in its first season - is just nonsense. If you're writing a two hour movie then you know you've got two hours. If you're writing a five minute short then you know you've got five minutes. You pace things accordingly. Or, as in the cases of both Lower Decks and Next Generation, you don't and that's a mistake.

I'm sorry the comedy cartoon doesn't have enough character development for you, I guess? I think we've learned a decent amount about several characters already, and there's still a bunch of them to explore. We're 3 episodes in; if you've made your judgment based on that I don't think there's really much else to say.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I'm going to try this honestly without looking any up (though there's no way for me to prove it):
Jett Reno, [...security lady], Linus, Tracey Pollard, Hugh Culber, Paul Stamets, Sylvia Tilly, Michael Burnham, Saru, [Kayla?], Owosekun, [???I think it's a short name], Nielssen (sp?), Bryce.

I could probably remember them all given time - and would certainly picture them if given the name. Exactly how I remember most Star Trek series (a few main people and the occasional weird alien). Right now I could literally not tell you George Takei's character's name (but I'd recognise it/it'll probably come to me in 10 minutes).

If your implication is that there are few named characters, there's also a bunch that didn't make it through season 1 or make it to this picture like Lorca, Georgiou, Cornwell, Landry, and a bunch from the enterprise.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If your implication is that there are few named characters, there's also a bunch that didn't make it through season 1 or make it to this picture like Lorca, Georgiou, Cornwell, Landry, and a bunch from the enterprise.

More that the show was so focused on Michael that most of these characters might as well have been background extras.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

(From memory)
Reno, Nhan, Linus, Doctor something, Culber, Stamets, Tilly, Burnham, Saru, Detmer , Osewekun, Reece, (replacement for Airiam, same actor), Bryce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why is Star Trek: Lower Decks abbreviated LDS and not STLD or just LD?