Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you don't mind ditching Wear then the Galaxy Watch Active is quite small and works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Qualcomm finally got their poo poo together on watch chips or is it another tiny update?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21307368/qualcomm-snapdragon-4100-google-wear-os-smartwatch-wearables-faster-battery-life

"The biggest changes are in the processor, which is jumping from a 28nm process to a 12nm one, with four A53 CPU cores clocked at 1.7GHz replacing the 3100’s A7 cores (at just 1.1GHz), which Qualcomm says should deliver more than 85 percent faster performance. The GPU is now Adreno A504 (up to two and a half times faster than the 3100), along with faster memory."

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Qualcomm finally got their poo poo together on watch chips or is it another tiny update?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21307368/qualcomm-snapdragon-4100-google-wear-os-smartwatch-wearables-faster-battery-life

"The biggest changes are in the processor, which is jumping from a 28nm process to a 12nm one, with four A53 CPU cores clocked at 1.7GHz replacing the 3100’s A7 cores (at just 1.1GHz), which Qualcomm says should deliver more than 85 percent faster performance. The GPU is now Adreno A504 (up to two and a half times faster than the 3100), along with faster memory."

That seems very very good. But also too late.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

That seems very very good. But also too late.

Eh, there's always time to make inroads if the longevity of my Fossil watches is anything to go by. Whether Google has any interest in doing so remains to be seen.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Eh, there's always time to make inroads if the longevity of my Fossil watches is anything to go by. Whether Google has any interest in doing so remains to be seen.

I would love to get a Wear OS watch again, so I really hope you're right and this takes off.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah I have a iPhone se 2 half because i got a cheap Apple Watch and its nicer than wear os (though largely for Apple health so idk) and half because I wanted a smaller phone. Any effort into making wear os better will be nice, just so smart watch experience is less of a differentiating factor between android and ios.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I mean, I don't see a bright future here but I don't know that it's as dim as a lot of industry watchers paint it. I feel like WearOS is good enough as it is, you know, if it worked (the health stuff) and if it worked well (any of it). This at least addresses half of that (though the 4100+ specs would seem to indicate it addresses the other half too).

In the end half of smartphone buyers use Android and those users need some kind of option.

That having been said, the Fossil group watches I've had have literally fallen apart without any help from me, never once making it out of the warranty period (but they keep giving me free watches so it's hard to complain). They look nice enough, I guess, but if this is indicative of the build quality one can expect in a WearOS device I can't imagine they get a lot of repeat buyers.

Assuming someone makes a large screen 4100+ watch, I'll probably buy it. I like wearing a watch, I like WearOS, and I've definitely grown attached to having one. I just wish I didn't have to feel like it was a gamble.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How long ago was it that Google Glass (?) was a thing? They just bought some Canadian smart glasses upstart so maybe they are revisiting it. Smart watches ain't going anywhere though, they aren't just gonna fold to apple

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I just got my Fossil gen 4 back from warranty repair because of it not charging twelve days ago and now it's doing it again. I'm trying to decide whether I should ship it back again (it's only 6 months old) or just chuck it. The one before this one just fell apart one day. You can see lots of videos of it falling apart on YouTube but remarkably not one describing how it is one fixes the charging ring, assuming it can be done without a part replacement (not that I was able to get it working on the one the back fell off of).

There aren't really too many options outside of the Fossil ones, are there?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/13/wear-os-is-getting-a-fall-ota-update-focused-on-speed-more-intuitive-ui-new-weather-app/

"No, really, I'm not dead yet."

I think it's kinda funny this info leaks the week of the Galaxy Watch 3 launch.

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/10/fossil-gen-5-wear-os-health-wellness-app/

This as well. I mean, I really do want them to improve, but after being a Galaxy Watch user for the past year (in various forms) Wear just seems to fall into the sub $100 bargain bin smartwatch range.

I traded in my Watch Active (1st gen) on a Galaxy Watch 3 which came yesterday (I'm keeping my Watch Active 2 since it's more suitable for fitness) and the hardware is just amazing. Yeah, it costs $120 more than a Gen 5 at MSRP, but you actually feel like you are getting that $120 worth and more. It sucks because even if someone puts together very nice hardware for Wear, you are still saddled with Wear which makes it not worth spending a ton of money on. Also, having a 1.4 inch display makes such a massive difference over 1.28 inch that you find in the fossil group devices.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

LastInLine posted:

That having been said, the Fossil group watches I've had have literally fallen apart without any help from me, never once making it out of the warranty period (but they keep giving me free watches so it's hard to complain).

I love that for some companies this is now the default customer service solution. I'm on my 3rd consecutive set of Bose earbuds (which I love in general, they're just terribly designed with their charger) and every time I can they just shrug and send a new set out. Same with my Garmin scales.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

iajanus posted:

I love that for some companies this is now the default customer service solution. I'm on my 3rd consecutive set of Bose earbuds (which I love in general, they're just terribly designed with their charger) and every time I can they just shrug and send a new set out. Same with my Garmin scales.

Are you aware of the Bose Sleepbuds fiasco? Paid over $250 for those fuckers for my husband, we went through three pairs, there were people that went through 8,9,12, we could have gone through just as many but we weren't as tenacious about getting replacements. They eventually threw their hands, said no more Sleepbuds and refunded everyone, we got more back than I paid for the pieces of poo poo.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Three Olives posted:

Are you aware of the Bose Sleepbuds fiasco? Paid over $250 for those fuckers for my husband, we went through three pairs, there were people that went through 8,9,12, we could have gone through just as many but we weren't as tenacious about getting replacements. They eventually threw their hands, said no more Sleepbuds and refunded everyone, we got more back than I paid for the pieces of poo poo.

Yeah I heard about those. Good fun for everyone involved.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iajanus posted:

I had the same problem with Shure E2C earbuds. I can remember the model number so easily because of the number of times I'd have to email them and they'd just send another pair. I think I went through maybe seven before Bluetooth headphones became a thing and I never looked back.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think it's the default behavior whenever you have a product that's typically not reparable and has a very low BOM.

When it comes to headphones or these smartwatches, the biggest expense is R&D and since the products are so mature there's probably not a ton of that going on anymore. I'm betting the BOM is under $20 (probably under $15 based on Misfit's recent firesale) so as long as some people are buying their products near MSRP, they can afford to keep cycling replacements out to people to keep brand perception up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

bull3964 posted:

I think it's the default behavior whenever you have a product that's typically not reparable and has a very low BOM.

When it comes to headphones or these smartwatches, the biggest expense is R&D and since the products are so mature there's probably not a ton of that going on anymore. I'm betting the BOM is under $20 (probably under $15 based on Misfit's recent firesale) so as long as some people are buying their products near MSRP, they can afford to keep cycling replacements out to people to keep brand perception up.

I get that but also if you are just churning out poo poo products and planning on replacing a shitload of them if you don't want consumers thinking you are overcharging them, doing terrible product testing and are just going to be overall annoying to buy from.

Honestly those Sleepbuds ruined my perception of Bose. Like, I knew they were loving overpriced, they were a $250 sleep sound machine in headphones that had no other functionality, Amazfit is currently selling an almost total ripoff product for $89 , I just didn't think a company selling such a product thought their customer base that could afford it would be just fine with replacing them every couple of months. My time has value to and I don't like spending it calling Bose and driving to the UPS store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I feel like it's been too long since I posted here about how much I hate this watch. It's my second Fossil Explorist HR (4th gen). The first one just fell apart one day about three months into ownership and Fossil sent me credit for what I paid toward a new watch. I got another and at about three months in it stopped charging, which it turns out is another common problem with fourth and fifth generation Fossils. I sent it in again and after like 6 weeks they sent it back "fixed".

It failed again in the same way within 12 days. Not really wanting to wait another 6 weeks for a similar repair, I found out that by applying some pressure while the charging puck is on that the watch would charge. Okay, I figured, good enough and at least I can consistently charge it again. Now I use a giant binder clip to hold the puck and watch together and the charge screen comes on right away and doesn't "flicker" (the symptom that was causing the watch to not charge, like an intermittent connection to the charging rings).

My problem is now that when I take it off the charger, it drains incredibly fast. It used to last, well, I don't know how long because it never had a problem lasting the ten to twelve hours I need, but now it goes from 100% to 20% (where the battery saver kicks in) in about 3 hours. I'd say it has a short or something draining the battery but once the battery saver comes on the drain goes away so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

This watch is a piece of poo poo and I hate it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I was actually going to post that I don't know how other people get such atrocious battery life on WearOS. This isn't actually related to your post though LastInLine, sounds like yours is just busted :(

I've had a TicWatch E and E2 and now a Misfit Vapor X that I've had a few days after their fire sale. How I use it: always on display with time + date, interactive watch face with bigger time + date, no wrist gestures (I found AOD + push button to wake works way better than no AOD + raise-to-wake), pre-covid I'd do 45 minutes of running most days. The TicWatch E2 usually had ~40% battery left after 14-16 hours off charger with that exercise included. I wore the Vapor X to sleep but turned theater mode on so the screen wouldn't wake, it lost like 10% overnight, and it's gone down another 15% in 5 hours off the charger today. I'm not willing to risk messing up the good thing I've got going to test it, but I bet having info on your watchface that is potentially being updated frequently in the background even if it doesn't need to be (weather, battery life, step count, whatever), is a major culprit. The only times I've noticed crazy battery drain are when I was tinkering with something at a desk for 2-3 hours and listening to music, so the music controls were on the watch screen the entire time, probably refreshing a million times a second to see if the album art or progress bar needed to update.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

I was actually going to post that I don't know how other people get such atrocious battery life on WearOS. This isn't actually related to your post though LastInLine, sounds like yours is just busted :(

I've had a TicWatch E and E2 and now a Misfit Vapor X that I've had a few days after their fire sale. How I use it: always on display with time + date, interactive watch face with bigger time + date, no wrist gestures (I found AOD + push button to wake works way better than no AOD + raise-to-wake), pre-covid I'd do 45 minutes of running most days. The TicWatch E2 usually had ~40% battery left after 14-16 hours off charger with that exercise included. I wore the Vapor X to sleep but turned theater mode on so the screen wouldn't wake, it lost like 10% overnight, and it's gone down another 15% in 5 hours off the charger today. I'm not willing to risk messing up the good thing I've got going to test it, but I bet having info on your watchface that is potentially being updated frequently in the background even if it doesn't need to be (weather, battery life, step count, whatever), is a major culprit. The only times I've noticed crazy battery drain are when I was tinkering with something at a desk for 2-3 hours and listening to music, so the music controls were on the watch screen the entire time, probably refreshing a million times a second to see if the album art or progress bar needed to update.

I agree with this post entirely. I've always had good battery life with my 360/2 until that battery gave out (although I will say the battery meter on the watch was never reliable at all). When the Explorist HR worked it was even better on battery life. I've found that the media controls absolutely crush the battery though even if you disable them coming up automatically.

I use always on display, no gestures (which never worked too well anyway), auto brightness, and no voice detection but with that configuration the battery life has always been fine. I imagine if you crank up the brightness, keep on the wake word, and have a crazy complicated watchface things take a dive really fast. One thing that Pujie (my watchface maker) puts in the notes about the ambient display is how if a certain percentage of pixels are used that the processor has to step up to keep pace on certain models. Stuff like that makes me think that it's pretty easy to get into a configuration where the battery life tanks without the user knowing what got it there.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

LastInLine posted:

I feel like it's been too long since I posted here about how much I hate this watch. It's my second Fossil Explorist HR (4th gen). The first one just fell apart one day about three months into ownership and Fossil sent me credit for what I paid toward a new watch. I got another and at about three months in it stopped charging, which it turns out is another common problem with fourth and fifth generation Fossils. I sent it in again and after like 6 weeks they sent it back "fixed".

It failed again in the same way within 12 days. Not really wanting to wait another 6 weeks for a similar repair, I found out that by applying some pressure while the charging puck is on that the watch would charge. Okay, I figured, good enough and at least I can consistently charge it again. Now I use a giant binder clip to hold the puck and watch together and the charge screen comes on right away and doesn't "flicker" (the symptom that was causing the watch to not charge, like an intermittent connection to the charging rings).

My problem is now that when I take it off the charger, it drains incredibly fast. It used to last, well, I don't know how long because it never had a problem lasting the ten to twelve hours I need, but now it goes from 100% to 20% (where the battery saver kicks in) in about 3 hours. I'd say it has a short or something draining the battery but once the battery saver comes on the drain goes away so I don't think it's a hardware problem.

This watch is a piece of poo poo and I hate it.

It's the charging rings! Gen 4 had that issue, and they allegedly fixed it for the sport, which was basically gen 4.5. I have a sport and a gen 5 Carlyle. I sent in the Carlyle for repair for the charging rings starting to detach, so I was wearing my sport as a backup (similar battery life, but slower in every way). I took my sport off of the charger to find the charging rings stuck to the charger. Since it was purchased within 2 years, I get that one fixed for free as well, for a second time. They didn't charge me for shipping, and are fixing both watches under warranty, but this poo poo is ridiculous.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Uncle Lizard posted:

It's the charging rings! Gen 4 had that issue, and they allegedly fixed it for the sport, which was basically gen 4.5. I have a sport and a gen 5 Carlyle. I sent in the Carlyle for repair for the charging rings starting to detach, so I was wearing my sport as a backup (similar battery life, but slower in every way). I took my sport off of the charger to find the charging rings stuck to the charger. Since it was purchased within 2 years, I get that one fixed for free as well, for a second time. They didn't charge me for shipping, and are fixing both watches under warranty, but this poo poo is ridiculous.

What do you have to do for this because my charge rings are falling off after about 6 months

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Len posted:

What do you have to do for this because my charge rings are falling off after about 6 months

If it's within 2 years of purchase, it is covered under warranty. Proof of purchase, pictures of the issue, and of course, don't back down until you get a free shipping label. I figure, once the warranty is up, I'll just super glue the rings on, which is what they probably should do, but I'm no scientist.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Uncle Lizard posted:

If it's within 2 years of purchase, it is covered under warranty. Proof of purchase, pictures of the issue, and of course, don't back down until you get a free shipping label. I figure, once the warranty is up, I'll just super glue the rings on, which is what they probably should do, but I'm no scientist.

What contact email/phone number do you use? I'm going to go and have Best Buy pull my receipt this weekend

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Len posted:

What contact email/phone number do you use? I'm going to go and have Best Buy pull my receipt this weekend

Go to the Fossil website and go to "contact us." Warranty will send you in circles, unless you pick the exact choices that will lead you to where you need to go, which I only got to once. Just contact customer service and have your receipt ready. Luckily, I bought all of my watches, except one, from the Fossil site directly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uncle Lizard posted:

It's the charging rings!

I know what the gently caress it is but it's infuriating. How is this easier to manufacture than a Qi charger?

I have other issues with the watch too. The screen has enormous scratches from being banged around whereas my Moto 360/2 screen was abused much worse and is perfect (the housing, on the other hand...). The small screen size/enormous bezel is quite ugly, way moreso than the flat tire was.

I know I could get them to take the thing back and either get a credit for a watch I don't want (the fifth gen screens are far too small) or get this one fixed but instead I think I'll live with it long enough to get a 4100+ watch that isn't made by the Fossil Group.

I'd really like that Oppo watch I can't get in my country.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Seriously, I've gone galaxy watch and not looked back. I keep some wear devices around when they are cheap as gently caress to pick up just for something different from time to time, but Samsung really kinda nailed this watch thing.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

LastInLine posted:

How is this easier to manufacture than a Qi charger?

So agreed! Didn't they have wireless charging for gen 1 or 2?

And, by the way, yes.

[/quote]
[/quote]

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man the 1st gen Vapor is garbage.

I originally bought it in December of 2017. After about a year, it would die early and then get all kinds of weird lines across the display when it was doing anything higher power draw when not connected to the charger to the point where it would just start resetting. I RMA'd it in July of 2019 and got a replacement device back. Well today I was going through to reset it to pair it to my 4a that I just got and low and behold, it can't reboot of the charger anymore without getting lines across the display and getting caught in a boot loop. So, already a year later the battery has degraded to the point where it can't keep enough current flowing to the device under peak load and even connected to the charger it looks like I can't complete the setup process without it rebooting under the load, so it looks to be toast.

I have no idea if RMAs are covered under a two year warranty just like new products are, guess I'll find out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You may get your chance still, rumor is that OnePlus may be releasing a watch and many of their products are rebranded Oppo devices.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had to RMA my phone, realized this morning my watch time was all off because I had forgot to re-pair it. You have to factory reset the watch to do that. So I did it, and tried to finish up the setup before I left for work. Seemed like it was just about done, whatever is left will complete over bluetooth anyway. Out in the sticks and no cell signal for a while until I'm about half way to work. Check it after and the watch says "Press Done on phone". Phone was complaining about connection being lost, and then looked like it was back to scratch again. So I managed to reset the watch again. Force close Wear app and open again, it appears the setup completed after all. So I then had to forget the watch from the phone and begin once again. Through it all, burned over 20% of battery when I just took it off the charger about 40 minutes ago.

On the plus side, I did just get a great new clasp strap from amazon for 18 bucks. I had been using the magnetic strap thing but that eventually that got annoying

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any other good watch face apps besides Pujie Black? I really like a lot of the faces, but the indicators, especially weather, don't update very reliably for me on my 2nd generation Moto 360.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Are there any other good watch face apps besides Pujie Black? I really like a lot of the faces, but the indicators, especially weather, don't update very reliably for me on my 2nd generation Moto 360.

Assuming you're using third party complication data, I'd think any watchface would have the same problem.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Assuming you're using third party complication data, I'd think any watchface would have the same problem.

I'm just using the default stuff that comes with Pujie; I'm not customizing the data source of the indicator.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pujie started to bug me and I downloaded the Pixel Watch face, its unofficial, and you will find two versions if you search it that look basically identical.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i've had a good time with Facer, you can make your own poo poo, or use some of the pre-done ones.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Fossil Gen 5 is $100 off ($189) for Prime Day so in keeping with the thread title, I bought one. I had a Zenwatch 3 that was ok but it stopped working last year and I never felt the urge to replace it because everything else had the same specs and the ZW3 didn't impress me much tbh. But for less than $200 and with more RAM I think this will be worth it. If I ever have an occasion to leave my house again anyway.

For anyone with one though, do they take normal 22mm watch bands? All the specs say they can take any Fossil 22mm band, but I wasn't sure if that meant Fossil bands are unique or they just want you to spend money with them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, standard 22mm works fine. Decent price, though I wonder when Gen 6 comes out with the new 4100 which seems to actually make quite a bit of difference.

I got my Gen 5 for $199 in November last year just 3 months after it came out. They always seem to put out massive discounts for the holidays.

Edit: It was $199 after taxes, so really only $185. So, yeah, I technically got a better deal direct from Fossil 3 months after it was released. Still a fair price though.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 13, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, standard 22mm works fine. Decent price, though I wonder when Gen 6 comes out with the new 4100 which seems to actually make quite a bit of difference.

I got my Gen 5 for $199 in November last year just 3 months after it came out. They always seem to put out massive discounts for the holidays.

Edit: It was $199 after taxes, so really only $185. So, yeah, I technically got a better deal direct from Fossil 3 months after it was released. Still a fair price though.

My understanding is that the gen 6's won't have the 4100/4100+ but that rumor might've been about the low-cost gen 5's that just came out rather than the gen 6 which still hasn't been announced.

Either way I got my gen 4 back from Fossil following their 3rd repair and it doesn't work at all. Great job, guys. There's no way I'd ever buy another Fossil group watch.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my super duper never charge Powerwatch Died after 1 trip in the pool so I told them their watch was poo poo and asked for a refund (GPS lock takes 10 mins of standing still, watch really truely never needed charging in the summer if you dindt' use GPS, step counts and HR tracking and sleep tracking kinda worked most o the time).

Lets see how my amazfit nonfancy wear OS wtach works. I just want notifications and time and battery life >30 hrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

There's no way I'd ever buy another Fossil group watch.

That doesn't leave a whole lot of the market since they are vitually all fossil group watches.

They are all built to be disposable anyways. My take on it is if your watch can't be disassembled via screws and is instead glued together, it's disposable because those tiny 300-500mah cells are going to barely last 18 months before they start flaking out and they watch needs to be easily disassembled to replace them.

This is one of the things I really like about the galaxy watches. Screws and good old rubber seals.

Well, that and Qi charging (mostly, even if it doesn't work on most Qi chargers.)