Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Three left, they finished out the full 5 issue arc.

I'm wrong, they DID end it early, but by 1 issue - so there's 2 more to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Roleplaying Larry posted:

After Star Power, someone should start posting classic Deegan from the beginning.

Agreed.

Also when are we getting the Legacy of Dominic Durgan?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Roleplaying Larry posted:

After Star Power, someone should start posting classic Deegan from the beginning.

I agree, I'm still sad I missed all the livestreams of people reading the old comics and getting progressively madder.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Ok I promise to give DD the RRR treatment one star power is over. If only to refresh ourselves while Mookie either find new inspiration for legacy or it peters out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

Ok I promise to give DD the RRR treatment one star power is over. If only to refresh ourselves while Mookie either find new inspiration for legacy or it peters out.

Oh, uh, I regret to inform you that, uh, I need a few more months or years or maybe decades to finish Star Power

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The old DD thread was bad, don't be the old DD thread.
I mean this thread is also bad but don't make it worse.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Libra posted:

The old DD thread was bad, don't be the old DD thread.
I mean this thread is also bad but don't make it worse.

You can't tell me what to do, DAD!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Welcome to the 2nd-to-last issue! Note that this issue and the next one aren’t linked in the archive, so you’ll have to click the entire previous issue in order to find it if you want to follow along. Or just click here: https://starpowercomic.com/comic/issue-28-cover/

Chapter 7.3

Anyway, quick recap – the son of the head of the crime family (whose name I cannot remember and refuse to learn) is dead, and he agrees to work with Star Power to take down the other 4 familes.

This is totally my opinion here, but if Star Power was really “lawful good” like Mookie says, I’d think she’d say “No, gently caress that, you’re an evil bastard responsible for ruining many lives, I’m arresting you.” But nope, she goes along with it.

But she agrees because she is, indeed, very stupid. The head of the family, of course, is lying and has secret plans, and contacts the corrupt Defense official, Abaxi.

I’m with Semme! This is some BULLSHIT.

But they go along with it, and… Why are they having Star Power go in stealthily AGAIN? You know how this is going to end.

Congrats Star Power! Your agreement with the crime family means a TON more bloodshed! Shoulda just punched him out and taken him in!

More loving pineapple pizza jokes. Mookie’s repertoire is very thin.

And they have the same drat date again. It’s ALWAYS pizza with these two.

Anyway, they’re undercover in the enclave of the next crime family, which seems to have an “assassin cult” vibe. Semme and Grex are disguised as initiate assassins, Burke and Danica as human sacrifices.

But the rules changed this time and all the initiates have to kill each other!... Which means they’ll get a total of one graduate, which seems… Counter productive.

Danica, of course, throws the plan out the window because she just psychically knows things are going wrong.

Ugh of course Grex STILL won’t kill anyone.

What is the point of this plan? Couldn’t Star Power just do it alone?

Anyway, some action happens, and then…

Grex actually kills someone. Thank loving GOD. Seriously, I would like this comic so much more if it was just about her and Semme.

Well, I’m sure she’s going to get a talking to by Danica…

… What, seriously? I know I’ve been annoyed by Danica’s instance on never killing, but she can’t even stick to it consistently.

Anyway, Semme is taken hostage by the head of the crime family who then immediately walks backward into Burke’s pistol butt.

Look at this Fern Gully-rear end motherfucker

Aaaaaaand the insider from the first crime family loving BLOWS UP THE ENTIRE PLACE. Why did he need Star Power’s crew to go in in the first place? Why didn’t he just do this earlier? I mean, I suppose they DID get the kidnapped people out, but why would a crime boss care about that?

And that’s the issue. This one is fairly tame as far as dumb stuff goes, but the next one, being the final issue, has to compress the ending of this arc AND the entire series, and it shows. It’s a pretty crazy roller coaster of bad decisions, so get ready.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 21, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Dude could've blown up the place with them inside and took out everyone+the cops who have dirt on him.

Also, seems like the coloring got better? It's less flat than it has been and some blue's been added to Star Power to make her costume more cool silver and less bland gray. But also...what's with this smug brute Star Power that doesn't play by your daddy's rules?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd have to dig back through the blogs but at some point I think they hired a third person to do the coloring instead of Garth.

I could be misremembering and Garth just got better, though.

Edit: It was just for issues 23 and 24. This blog entry is kind of amusing, though, as it details how Garth was able to complete the comic faster + better once Mookie stopped giving input on the colors, and explains why Mookie works exclusively in black and white.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 21, 2020

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Pyrotoad posted:

I agree, I'm still sad I missed all the livestreams of people reading the old comics and getting progressively madder.

They're not still archived anywhere? Like how Twitch records stuff and whatnot?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They were done via a very early livestreaming site that has largely died and never had good archive exploration tools.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I believe they were recorded on tindeck which has tragically gone offline.

The Little Death posted:

Hooray!

Pyrotoad posted:

Yeah I was bummed those links were dead by the time I found the archived threads.

The Little Death posted:

A full run through no, but goddamn did I find some stinkers I had forgotten about looking for Bronto.

Remember Facebath? When greg completed his transformation from quasi-Mookie into full Mookiedom.
Sounds good to me. I always wished I'd gotten to be there live for original deegan.

In a comic full of terrible characters, Greg is by far the worst one. He is three completely unconnected terrible characters: first he is a blonde meek and gentle natured white mage, then transforms into a red-haired generic shonen protagonist flying brick, and finally burns all his mana up when it looked like he was getting too close to overshadowing Mookie-prime and was depowered into black haired heavy metal Mookie.

TheHan posted:

With a few tweaks this classic edit is as timeless as ever.

This edit is incredible.

Zereth posted:

Please use its full name, Eldariat To Die.
I love that joke. I just figured I'd give it a rest in fears people would get tired of it. I forgot I was among my own kind.

TheHan posted:

I think I remember the answers to all of these questions? The golem you’re thinking of was Quilt, a flesh golem made by the evil Deegan brother Jacob. For some reason Quilt was just a goofy fun loving guy much like Mookie, so he joined the hero side up until he died in the climax.

Maestro was an unfunny early 2000s webcomic character that was a friend of Miranda Deegan. He was a weather wizard who would create wacky situations.

I have no idea who Bronto is.
No, I remember Quilt perfectly well. I just thought Bronto was some kind of rock or metal creature for some reason. Maybe he's not.

Oh, yeah, I think I remember him now. He was the other college professor guy who was like an elemental savant or some poo poo and looked like Metamorpho and had some kind of plotline where he was sexually harassing someone and I think fought Milov.

The Little Death posted:

The Maestro very (in)famously came in to power deadbeat rocker dad deegan's electric guitars. A dumb choice at the time but with the hindsight of Mookie's terminal lack of creativity, one that speaks to his inability to think outside of US culture even in a fantasy setting.

Ah yes, how could I forget.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Welcome to the 2nd-to-last issue! Note that this issue and the next one aren’t linked in the archive, so you’ll have to click the entire previous issue in order to find it if you want to follow along. Or just click here: https://starpowercomic.com/comic/issue-28-cover/

Chapter 7.3

Anyway, quick recap – the son of the head of the crime family (whose name I cannot remember and refuse to learn) is dead, and he agrees to work with Star Power to take down the other 4 familes.

It's "Ambivalent".

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Aaaaaaand the insider from the first crime family loving BLOWS UP THE ENTIRE PLACE. Why did he need Star Power’s crew to go in in the first place? Why didn’t he just do this earlier? I mean, I suppose they DID get the kidnapped people out, but why would a crime boss care about that?
Perhaps he just needed everyone to be distracted and/or incapacitated to plant the explosive charges.

I'm being too generous to Mookie again, he just didn't think about it at all. The point is to have good guys claim the credits for defeating the bad guys, but not sully their hands with murder (well, except for one decoy). So other bad guys kill the defeated bad guys. Mission complete, bad guys killed, good guys still Lawful Good.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd have to dig back through the blogs but at some point I think they hired a third person to do the coloring instead of Garth.

I could be misremembering and Garth just got better, though.

Edit: It was just for issues 23 and 24. This blog entry is kind of amusing, though, as it details how Garth was able to complete the comic faster + better once Mookie stopped giving input on the colors, and explains why Mookie works exclusively in black and white.

Well, that explains the jump in quality. It’s pretty funny that Mookie has so many reasons for why he’s bad at coloring and yet “I’ve never studied color theory” isn’t one of them. All those professional colorists are just emulating what they saw as children, probably.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's funny how he thinks he's not good at color when the issue is that he's not good at any art.

And he's still just winging it now. He won't put in the effort and practice to actually learn the fundamentals. If you wanted to learn how to draw, there's like a billion resources out there for you. I know someone who currently leads free art classes/practice sessions on an animation Discord.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 22, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Little Death posted:

You know, I'm a little horrified at this prospect because I never read DD or the mock thread (I did have a friend who was a big DD fan though, which is why curiosity brought me here), so beyond what people have posted about in here, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Especially since comparing what I've seen of Legacy to what I've seen of DD, they don't feel like the same setting or franchise at all.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

catlord posted:

You know, I'm a little horrified at this prospect because I never read DD or the mock thread (I did have a friend who was a big DD fan though, which is why curiosity brought me here), so beyond what people have posted about in here, I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Especially since comparing what I've seen of Legacy to what I've seen of DD, they don't feel like the same setting or franchise at all.

I'm honestly so excited for you. It'll be really good to get a kind of greatest shits version as well since there are really long stretches of loving nothing in full-fat deegan. Normally I'd offer some kind of pithy one line summary for what the comic is and how it's different from Legacy, but honestly I think it'll be really interesting to see the reactions of someone going in blind.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's funny how he thinks he's not good at color when the issue is that he's not good at any art.

And he's still just winging it now. He won't put in the effort and practice to actually learn the fundamentals. If you wanted to learn how to draw, there's like a billion resources out there for you. I know someone who currently leads free art classes/practice sessions on an animation Discord.

The fun part is that when he does try something new, which happens a few times throughout DD, it goes totally fine. Like he'll experiment with perspective or drawing people a different way, and he's totally capable of doing it, but then he just goes back to doing the same old poo poo like a week later. His inability to improve is entirely down to a lack of effort and interest.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Begemot posted:

The fun part is that when he does try something new, which happens a few times throughout DD, it goes totally fine. Like he'll experiment with perspective or drawing people a different way, and he's totally capable of doing it, but then he just goes back to doing the same old poo poo like a week later. His inability to improve is entirely down to a lack of effort and interest.

Honestly, you don't even need to go that far. Compare very early strips to late-run stuff, and the shortcuts and simplifications present are plain to see.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I always thought Mookie knew his art was bad and was more interested in honing his writing. And yeah the writing in Deegan was dogshit from beginning to end, but you could‘ve argued he was tethered to canon written while he was a bad writer. Then he got to start totally new with Star Power and even got a better artist to convey his vision...and it’s all the same! How!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I always thought Mookie knew his art was bad and was more interested in honing his writing. And yeah the writing in Deegan was dogshit from beginning to end, but you could‘ve argued he was tethered to canon written while he was a bad writer. Then he got to start totally new with Star Power and even got a better artist to convey his vision...and it’s all the same! How!

Mookie thinks he's a genius in all respects: basic Dunning-Kreuger. His writing, like his art, also gets noticeably worse as time wears on, especially once he's well-set into the groove of mon-thurs: reminder strips of what happened last friday, sat-sun, filler strips, actual content fridays.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

Mookie thinks he's a genius in all respects: basic Dunning-Kreuger. His writing, like his art, also gets noticeably worse as time wears on, especially once he's well-set into the groove of mon-thurs: reminder strips of what happened last friday, sat-sun, filler strips, actual content fridays.

The only thing that eclipses that is his insecurity. People rarely critique his work these days (because no one really cares enough to comment on twitter other than his undiscerning lifelong fans) but when they do he shuts down pretty hard.

(This is not an invitation to critique him. Don't touch the poop.)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

catlord posted:

The big problem with original Dominic Deegan is that it aged like an unattended corpse floating in a pool of raw sewage. I read it all as a teen initially because quality webcomics just did not exist back then, and by the time it ended I was reading on just pure intertia. But going back now and skimming through it, it's not just bad, it's downright vile at points. I don't think Mookie a truly bad person, it's just that somehow his laziness and ignorance combined together in some awful union to produce something truly bad. For all of Legacy's faults, it's tame and boring compared to what came before.

Heed my warning, just accept it's bad and move on.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Even if we wanted to, it doesn't do anything, as we saw from the guy who was mildly critical of Legacy a few months ago, leading mookie to make a snotty passive aggressive blog post about it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Oh I'm gonna do it. I know the rules at the start of the thread said don't bring up the original DD, but covid-19 has changed everything. No more rules anymore baby. None of you can stop me.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Little Death posted:

Oh I'm gonna do it. I know the rules at the start of the thread said don't bring up the original DD, but covid-19 has changed everything. No more rules anymore baby. None of you can stop me.
Eh, I made that rule initially to encourage people from the old DD threads to make Legacy 'fan' content instead of just going 'oh yeah, remember this or that from DD?'

I didn't expect Mookie to blindside me by making his own comic boring as poo poo. Well played, maestro.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Oh, yeah, I think I remember him now. He was the other college professor guy who was like an elemental savant or some poo poo and looked like Metamorpho and had some kind of plotline where he was sexually harassing someone and I think fought Milov.

I actually had to think about when I first saw Dominic Deegan and it made me realize I was actually thinking of Runcible Spoon. There was a jock elemental though, I don’t remember much of anything about him? I think he worked at the school, but all the students and staff hated him. He was sexist though and would pull uncool pranks like making a woman’s breasts inflate to the size of labradors. Then he got kidnapped by Jacob and died

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Invisible Clergy posted:

He would be a shoe-in for syndicated newspaper comics.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

TheHan posted:

I actually had to think about when I first saw Dominic Deegan and it made me realize I was actually thinking of Runcible Spoon. There was a jock elemental though, I don’t remember much of anything about him? I think he worked at the school, but all the students and staff hated him. He was sexist though and would pull uncool pranks like making a woman’s breasts inflate to the size of labradors.

Wasn't Spoon an old man? He looked like Einstein with long frizzy white hair and a beard and mustache. He was the jock elemental guy's nemesis for some reason unrelated to him harassing one of Dominic's grad students. I think they were competing for a tenure position.

I thought while Dominic was teaching a divination class there, elemental guy was the phd thesis advisor for one of the women in his class and was stalking her.

quote:

Then he got kidnapped by Jacob and died
lol classic Mookie. I remember this now. Jacob and his cult needed the blood of an elemental affinite or something for a spell they were casting in the woods with a big cauldron. A bad guy swoops in and executes the other bad guy so Dominic and the other Mookies can keep their hands clean.

SupSuper posted:

He would be a shoe-in for syndicated newspaper comics.
Honestly, syndicated newspaper comics were clearly his inspiration. Of the ~3100 strips that compose not-from-concentrate Deegan, about 10% of them are 7 panels of buildup to the cat saying a bunch of alliterative phrases, so he'd be right at home with Garfield and Gasoline Alley, but with more sexual violence.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 22, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Honestly I'd love Covid Content covering Dominic Deegan, everything I've learned in this thread has been that magical kind of bad that provides endless amusement when, and this is important, curated by someone else so I don't have to read the original.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Alright, I need to purge myself of this. So here we go, final issue.

Chapter 7.4

Danica is pissed because of the result of the previous mission, and takes it out on Semme.

Notice this: “That’s now how the Star Power works.” “That’s what I’m going to do.” “The Star Power doesn’t fight in the shadows”.

Danica has decided this is her fight and responsibility and is angry that Semme has been doing it their way, despite the fact that this has ALWAYS been Semme’s fight, and Semme’s tactics were correct for that context (i.e. carrying out these plans without a superhero).

She also gets mad at the crime family boss for killing the assassins, and for refusing to help her take down the other families, so she… Threatens him with death.

So this is “how the Star Power works”, huh? Might makes right? Judge others for killing and punish them with threats of violence and death? Just making sure. Sorry, as your DM, I’m going to have to strip your paladin powers, this is CLEARLY not a lawful good action…

She takes out one of the other crime families. It takes all of two pages.

She takes out another crime family. This one takes one page.

I’m gonna admit, the last few pages were very funny to me. It was so sudden – after a long, drawn out process in the last two issues, Danica takes out two families like nothing. It was so sudden and such a whiplash that I couldn’t help but giggle at the absurdity of it.

But Grex’s line “Maybe her way is the right way” snapped me back into reality. It really felt like Mookie did Semme’s character dirty. Was Semme’s way the “right” way? Maybe, maybe not, but they are a competent, scrappy detective up against insurmountable odds, doing the best they could, and it was commendable. And all that is for poo poo because they happened to stumble on someone who knows a superhero.

The lesson Semme is learns is “if someone is stronger than you, step out of their way and do what they say”. Even if they’re on your side, that’s a bullshit lesson and I really don’t like how this went. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.

Like, here. This is some loving straight up revisionist bullshit. “My way was becoming a reflection of their way.” NO IT WASN’T. Your way was the best possible plan you could have come up with, being a non-superhero detective! And yet Semme is blaming themself, for not realizing they should have just sat back and let the only known superhero in the universe do her thing.

I guess she’s just the universe police now, huh? No one should fight back against crime or anything because they need to just wait for Danica to show up and do it “her way”.

No. Bullshit. Danica is not the arbiter of morality, and she doesn’t get to judge people like that, especially when she can’t be everywhere at once – people are going to have to use something other than her approved tactics if she happens to not be around, which is going to be, you know, MOST OF THE TIME in a Federation of a thousand planets.

At this point in the story, Semme gets thrown a bone with a call from one of his informants that is in danger from the corrupt guys at Galactic Defense. This whole storyline feels very tacked on to give a weak counterpoint to Danica and show that sometimes Semme’s way IS right, but it’s very hollow after the previous events.

Danica beats up the last crime family. This takes maybe 3 pages.

Semme, disguised as a callgirl, goes undercover with the corrupt cop while Grex sneaks into his office and finds incriminating evidence. This also takes like 3 pages.

Burke rescues the informant and saves the day with a pizza.

That’s it. All the badguys are immediately, cleanly dealt with in one sequence (they were intercutting with each other).

Revisionist. Bullshit. She never did it your way.

Yes. I’ll say there were disappointments.

And now we get to the page that REALLY made me mad. Just… Read this garbage:

Just… gently caress off with this poo poo.

There was a KERNEL of a good idea here – why do you need a superhero in a utopia? She should go out and help where it’s needed. That seemed like it was the whole thesis of the comic, and flawed as the execution was, it still could have made for interesting stories. Instead, whether it’s out of necessity of the comic ending early or whether it was what Mookie always planned to do, it’s just decided… Nah, she should stay in the Federation. Don’t go exploring or anything, just stay here and be a cop. Go police our trillions of citizens and make sure none of them do anything you morally object to while they wait their turn for you to come save them.

The panel on the right here is so loving weird. Do people with genderqueer friends routinely sit around and gossip about whether they’ll be masculine or feminine that day? Does Mookie imagine that’s what happens?

(That's both these characters' last appearance. Beena and Old Tom don't even get to be in this chapter at all.)

Yep they have the SAME GODDAMN DATE again.

I STILL think it should have been Beena.

Also I bet that lady staring at us in the last panel is Mookie’s mom drawn into the comic.

Last page. “Yeah, sure, I’ll be responsible for everything everywhere. That’s fine.”

So yeah, that’s it. The last issue didn’t make me quite as mad as that one part in chapter 4, but it made me pretty loving mad. Many superhero comics have grappled with the issue of the hero not being able to be everywhere, and their perceived role as the arbiter of morality due to their strength… And Mookie’s answer is “Yes they can be everywhere and absolutely should be the arbiter”. It’s a story of strength prevailing because it is strong, not because it is good. Have the same powers on a bad guy, and are they now the correct ones?

My final thought on the comic as a whole is… Why does it exist? What unique perspective does this story show? What interesting twist or subversion makes this rise above other superhero stories? Why was this the story Mookie wanted to tell?

According to Mookie in this blog https://starpowercomic.com/a-look-back-and-a-look-ahead/, they didn’t want to deconstruct the superhero genre. That’s fine – the revival of old-style superheroes was a thing, with the reconstruction giving us stories like Astro City and Tom Strong. But you need to have SOMETHING as a hook. What does Star Power have? Nothing about Danica or the Star Power is unique. The utopia setting might be an interesting twist, but it’s not really used in any way other than killing tension, and then tossed out the window in the end anyway.

He claims they just wanted to make a classic superhero tale… But then admits the market was flooded with them as they created it. So… What’s special about yours? Did you really just want to ape all the comics you’ve read and… Nothing else? Just do what they did, and then wonder why you weren’t successful? It seems like all Mookie can do is argue against his own comic’s existence.

So there you go. That’s Star Power, possibly the best thing Mookie was or is capable of creating, and it’s about on par with an average DM’s generic plot hooks to get you into encounters. Or a kid smashing his action figures together.

It had nothing to say and Mookie was proud of that.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 22, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Hahaha oh wow.

"How will Star Power beat CRIME PLANET?! Tune in next week to find out"

Apparently, the answer is punching about 12 people. I guess no one ever tried that before. Just terrible. Thanks for the recap, Rotten Red Rod.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Wha...? "Doing it her way" meaning...? Having superpowers and punching the poo poo out of the bad guys? I mean, it's effective but... until she showed up it was completely out of the question. "If I can do it, so can you" doesn't work when you have superpowers and they don't. What a bizarre comic.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
For a comic with a protagonist that is so against casualties, Star Power is shockingly pro reckless violence.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

At this point in the story, Semme gets thrown a bone with a call from one of his informants that is in danger from the corrupt guys at Galactic Defense. This whole storyline feels very tacked on to give a weak counterpoint to Danica and show that sometimes Semme’s way IS right, but it’s very hollow after the previous events.

This is also another violation of the established setting. If you are on a mob planet and you are on the run from the mob/corrupt cops, and you call your friend for help and someone you don't know picks up, you don't loving trust that poo poo. That's 100% the setup for your friend having been caught or compromised.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The lesson Semme is learns is “if someone is stronger than you, step out of their way and do what they say”. Even if they’re on your side, that’s a bullshit lesson and I really don’t like how this went. It left a very bad taste in my mouth.
It's basic :911: foreign policy.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Revisionist. Bullshit. She never did it your way.

Semme realizes that they's right next to a window on a skyscraper in the company of a virtually-invincible character who just spent the last couple of days manhandling people because she could and literally no one can stop her:
They know enough about survival in a gritty crime city to keep a low profile and try to stay on her good side in this situation.

You know how they say Batman keeps kryptonite on him in case Superman goes bad? This Batman does not have kryptonite. Or scintillianite, whatever. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If you can't flee 'em, mollify 'em. Until you do find some kryptonian steel and plan to get rid of the superpowered monster.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Joe Slowboat posted:

Honestly I'd love Covid Content covering Dominic Deegan, everything I've learned in this thread has been that magical kind of bad that provides endless amusement

It really was. Legacy doesn't hold a candle.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Legacy is worse written though. Dominic Deegan is more offensive and still the second worst artistic endeavor ever written (maybe... Beyond: Two Souls really gives it a run for its money), but in terms of the sheer craft of writing, I feel like Legacy tops it.

Things happened in Dominic Deegan. They were dumb, stupid, and often offensive, but they happened. A bad story was told poorly. But a story was nonetheless told.
The Legacy of Dominic Deegan doesn't even have that. All those words (in a wordless comic) and all those pages and nothing happened. In fact, considering the soft reboot, you can argue the story has made negative progress since it began.

Dominic Deegan is more offensive because it has something to say - it is actually communicating things to its audience. Legacy is literally nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncanny Valley
Aug 13, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Mors Rattus posted:

They were done via a very early livestreaming site that has largely died and never had good archive exploration tools.

I downloaded the streams way back when. Looks like either UStream's auto-archiving or my copies might be missing a few sessions, and the videos are lovely UStream quality, but ~37.5 hours of Dominic Drinkin is still a hell of a lot of Deegan.

If Tesseraction is cool with it, I can upload to YouTube or Google Drive?