Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psycho Landlord posted:

This loving sucks, just so everyone is aware

I'm going to talk about a game what's on steam now. Black Mesa owns, those who disagree are tasteless, discuss

it's real good and their take on Xen blew me away, but I still don't get why a Hazardous Environment Combat Unit wouldn't wear gloves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Hwurmp posted:

it's real good and their take on Xen blew me away, but I still don't get why a Hazardous Environment Combat Unit wouldn't wear gloves

On a list of dumb things HECU does/did, that is, like, number four maybe

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

also I wish they'd included the gravity gun just for the hell of it

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I will say that I do lurk this thread quite a bit but never post, so I get the criticisms about visibility and I can try to post more so it feels less outta nowhere.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

Okay maybe I wasn't being clear mea culpa, I'm talking about the other nonlowtax related blowups like the Fyad thing, the cspam mod thing, the PPJ thing. Giant thread happening about the one right now.

It's is not about the title it's about mods not talking or listening turning into blowups.

ah right just all these other things that deal with serious issues and also are either by people literally not here anymore or specific mods in one subforum im guessing, dont knwo what the cspam thing is. but the other two are about mods who dont exist anymore and were about if people were being transphobic and harassing people, and about a mod playing friends with actual nazis. whereas here what we are dealing with is the high crime of a thread title changing to what the thread is actually about, and you felt the need to compare that to the former stuff unprompted and inexplicably. probably because the argument "i jsut dont like it" lacks the weight u were looking for when finding a reason for acting out over absolutely nothing. continuing to say "its not about the title" is directly and unequivocally framing a thread title being changed to what it should be to really serious stuff and you should stop saying that, probably.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relax Or DIE posted:

I will say that I do lurk this thread quite a bit but never post, so I get the criticisms about visibility and I can try to post more so it feels less outta nowhere.

I'm going to be honest and say that I assumed you were a great poster in this thread solely because your avatar is good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Relax Or DIE posted:

What video games do you play? I have been playing Warhammer 40k Space Wolf and it's surprisingly good for a mobile game port. Good PC options, the F2P bullshit is mostly gone and instead I can focus on the weird design.

It plays like XCOM but every unit gets a deck of cards for actions so if you need a heal potion and draw a sword instead you're hosed. But there are cool item combos and you can make overwatch automatic for units. I like it but I doubt I'll finish it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

What video games do you play? I have been playing Warhammer 40k Space Wolf and it's surprisingly good for a mobile game port. Good PC options, the F2P bullshit is mostly gone and instead I can focus on the weird design.

It plays like XCOM but every unit gets a deck of cards for actions so if you need a heal potion and draw a sword instead you're hosed. But there are cool item combos and you can make overwatch automatic for units. I like it but I doubt I'll finish it.

play Mechanicus

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

play Mechanicus

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

You will absolutely love Mechanicus.

Hwurmp posted:

play Mechanicus

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

StrixNebulosa posted:

I did actually just play Mechanicus - it's a pretty solid XCOM-like, my only real issue with it is that it's a too easy on the normal difficulty if you're familiar with that sort of game.

I also just bought Demoncrawl, I was on the fence but the giant post upthread pushed me into it

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Huh thinkin' about Mechanicus now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mechanicus owns and I've played a bunch of it but need to spend more time with it. I mostly picked up Space Wolf because Fanatical had it in a bundle for 3$ and well okay I need casual stuff right now.

Demoncrawl is also extremely profoundly good but I've put 60 hours into it and cannot even think of any minesweeper games in a while.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Stux posted:

ah right just all these other things that deal with serious issues and also are either by people literally not here anymore or specific mods in one subforum im guessing, dont knwo what the cspam thing is. but the other two are about mods who dont exist anymore and were about if people were being transphobic and harassing people, and about a mod playing friends with actual nazis. whereas here what we are dealing with is the high crime of a thread title changing to what the thread is actually about, and you felt the need to compare that to the former stuff unprompted and inexplicably. probably because the argument "i jsut dont like it" lacks the weight u were looking for when finding a reason for acting out over absolutely nothing. continuing to say "its not about the title" is directly and unequivocally framing a thread title being changed to what it should be to really serious stuff and you should stop saying that, probably.

You know what you're right. It was wrong to draw parallels to much more serious issues, and I was wrong to put the weight and emotional punch of very bad things other people did on people that weren't even mods when it happened over a thread title in the video game forum.

It was unhelpful and unfair for me to drag in bigger more serious issues because I was frustrated about other things when there were much kinder ways to frame it. I apologize for being a self righteous grandstanding jackass.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 22, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

You know what you're right. It was wrong to draw parallels to much more serious issues, and I was wrong to put the weight and emotional punch of very bad things other people did on people that weren't even mods when it happened over a thread title in the video game forum.

It was unhelpful and unfair for me to drag in bigger more serious issues because I was frustrated about other things when there were much kinder ways to frame it. I apologize for being a self righteous grandstanding jackass.

want to say i appreciate you saying this and believe that you werent meaning any harm or anything. im glad we could talk this out :)

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Isn't it supposed to be Romance of the 3 Storefronts or is there a new dating sim I didn't know about

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Isn't it supposed to be Romance of the 3 Storefronts or is there a new dating sim I didn't know about

Beggars can't be choosers.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

MonkeyforaHead posted:

If you're not already playing, then you're not invited

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is the PGA Tour 2K21 game that dropped today any goof? Been really wanting a golf game in the style of the old EA ones.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is the PGA Tour 2K21 game that dropped today any goof? Been really wanting a golf game in the style of the old EA ones.

I watched a few hours of someone playing it on stream and it looks pretty good. I played the hell out of those old EA games and i see a lot of similarities here. Definitely interested but dunno about $60 interested.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

explosivo posted:

I watched a few hours of someone playing it on stream and it looks pretty good. I played the hell out of those old EA games and i see a lot of similarities here. Definitely interested but dunno about $60 interested.

I might buy it from the Humble store, if it’s like the EA ones I’ll definitely get 50 bucks worth out of it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

explosivo posted:

I picked it up because I love golf games. It's very much The Golf Club from previous years in terms of actual golfing mechanics -- it's very solid (gamepad stick or mouse back then forward style swinging) so far, but fairly difficult. I think that it's a function of being a brand new character. All of the course creation tools and stuff are here and user-created courses and some pretty good filtering tools.

It seems like the 2k stuff is fairly standard 2k stuff -- all sorts of customization options and progression. There's a decent bit of the old Tiger Woods game style gear upgrading going on, it seems. How far and fast that treadmill is really difficult to say, but I've gained my first few levels by playing a single 9-hole round, so it seems fairly generous early on at least.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I unironically love xp and gear on my sports games so that’s a huge plus for me, I think I’ll pull the trigger on it then.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

I unironically love xp and gear on my sports games so that’s a huge plus for me, I think I’ll pull the trigger on it then.

I'm interested to hear your take on the game if you're willing to share (when you play it).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

I'm interested to hear your take on the game if you're willing to share (when you play it).

Definitely, I have it installing now. Feel free to remind me if I forget, I have like, weapons-grade ADD.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

HB Studios, those dumb loving pieces of poo poo, still refuse to put 3 click swing in their games. These morans are literally throwing money away for their stupid loving principals.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TIL that people care about this thread having "Steam" in the name for some reason

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you want a bit of a head start in Space Wolf, the promo codes from the official twitter feed pretend to expire but never do. If you're willing to spend 10-20 minutes copying and pasting codes, you can get a pile of decent gear to mash together. If you don't want to do everything, just scroll through for the "5 R - L" card codes.

E: But yeah, Mechanicus is much, much better.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 22, 2020

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Mechanicus does look neat and apparently has some sort of free weekend going on, but Steam is failing spectacularly to actually let me download it or register it to my account or anything.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mechanicus is super duper loving moody with amazing music & sfx and decent other assets. The game itself however... let's just say that you shouldn't feel any need to finish it. Play it for a bit, enjoy the gothic stuff, and the moment you feel bleh about it, uninstall. Seriously.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Serephina posted:

Mechanicus is super duper loving moody with amazing music & sfx and decent other assets. The game itself however... let's just say that you shouldn't feel any need to finish it. Play it for a bit, enjoy the gothic stuff, and the moment you feel bleh about it, uninstall. Seriously.

I mean that's how I play all games these days. But what's Mechanicus do wrong for you?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Andrast posted:

TIL that people care about this thread having "Steam" in the name for some reason
i just want to know what's coming out and what's good on steam.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

StrixNebulosa posted:

I mean that's how I play all games these days. But what's Mechanicus do wrong for you?

There's zero balance. Normally a lot of X-com-like game suffer from a downwards difficulty slope as they try and fail to balance enemy progression with presumed player progression. Mechanicus has that too, but also wildly comical power level spikes in how you can build your guys. Most people accidentally end up building a guy who can spam a bfg shot per turn which clears out the entire map, or perhaps another guy who basically has infinite actions. Meanwhile your medic sobs uselessly in a corner.

There's a bit of grind/monotony. You'll repeat most missions a few times which isn't too bad, but a lot of the time around midgame you're just doing generic missions because they're there and you need them gone so you can advance the plot.

The enemy AI is ruinously simple. Seriously spoilers: The basic AI, which is used by 90% of enemies, is to walk towards your squad and take a shot at the first person they're in range of. Once you see this, the illusion of "depth" is shattered and the game loses a lot of appeal. There are minor variations on it, such as the sniper enemy or healer, but yea. Is bad.

Cool music though!

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

At launch it had severe inverse difficulty curve issues, which are now less severe but still present. Also some folks don’t like that the only enemy race is necrons, though they have plenty of unit variety imo. It just suffers from the same problems all XCOM-likes do at the end of the day.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Same here and I've been trying to find some decent ones on PC, would love some recommendations. I actually went back and played fight night champions because I couldn't think of anything else that would scratch that similar itch.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Mechanicus does look neat and apparently has some sort of free weekend going on, but Steam is failing spectacularly to actually let me download it or register it to my account or anything.

I've got the same problem. I've restarted Steam but it still doesn't want to work.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Siralim Ultimate is really very good

There is an astounding amount of build diversity. If you like tinkering with endless possibilities I cannot recommend this game to you enough, look at all the bullshit I've layered together to make my current build:

1) My Spec is Druid which is focused around dodging, increasing dodge chance, and increasing speed (which increases dodge).
2) I use a Druid Perk that makes the Defend action increase my creatures' Speed instead of Defense
3) Then I have a Lich Priest in my party which gives my entire party a large Death-powered AoE spell called Murder of Crows which refreshes charges every fight
4) I also use a salamander in my party that makes it so that when my creatures Defend, they cast one of their spells at random, and it's fused with something that gave it a trait that makes every spell cast by my party have a 50% chance to be cast again
5) Then I make sure not to equip any spells on any creature so that Murder of Crows is the only spell they have
6) Next I have a Lich Shadowcaster that makes all of my creatures cast Death spells as if they had 100% more Intelligence
7) Then there's a Raven Acolyte which gives my entire party 30% more intelligence, fused with a Water Priest which makes this Raven Acolyte share 15% of his intelligence with the entire party each time it takes a turn.
8) And a Raven Ritualist, which deals 20% of its intelligence as damage to every enemy every time one of my creatures casts a spell.
9) And I fused something with a rift dancer that makes all effects that trigger on Defend trigger an extra time

So in battle I just have all six of my creatures Defend, which triggers each of them to cast this large Murder of Crows AOE spell, which triggers the Raven Ritualist to deal additional AOE damage to the entire party. And then there are even MORE traits I've stacked on like casting a spell has a chance to give my creatures a random buff, my creatures are immune to intelligence-reducing debuffs, etc. And all of my creatures hover around ~80-90% chance to dodge, with 50% chance to dodge spells.

This might sound overpowered and, yeah, it is - and so is every build in Siralim, and so are enemy party comps, which will occasionally hard counter you, and that means always being ready to tweak the team to counter what I'm up against. Then there are literally hundreds of other party comps I can think of looking at just the list of creatures I've got so far (42 floors in, there are 150 total currently in the game) plus however many hundreds more that I'm not clever enough to think of.

There's ALSO a mode you can enable that regularly forces you into different classes/specs which makes you re-evaluate your build basically every single dungeon run which is rad and I can't wait to unlock it

Game owns

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Aug 22, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm at the stage in Fallout 4 where I need to decide between the Minutemen, the Institute, the Railroad or the Brotherhood of Steel. Who should I go with?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Love the thread title. Hoping Gat out of Hell will be a reasonably silly experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

deep dish peat moss posted:

Siralim Ultimate is really very good

There is an astounding amount of build diversity. If you like tinkering with endless possibilities I cannot recommend this game to you enough, look at all the bullshit I've layered together to make my current build:

1) My Spec is Druid which is focused around dodging, increasing dodge chance, and increasing speed (which increases dodge).
2) I use a Druid Perk that makes the Defend action increase my creatures' Speed instead of Defense
3) Then I have a Lich Priest in my party which gives my entire party a large Death-powered AoE spell called Murder of Crows which refreshes charges every fight
4) I also use a salamander in my party that makes it so that when my creatures Defend, they cast one of their spells at random, and it's fused with something that gave it a trait that makes every spell cast by my party have a 50% chance to be cast again
5) Then I make sure not to equip any spells on any creature so that Murder of Crows is the only spell they have
6) Next I have a Lich Shadowcaster that makes all of my creatures cast Death spells as if they had 100% more Intelligence
7) Then there's a Raven Acolyte which gives my entire party 30% more intelligence, fused with a Water Priest which makes this Raven Acolyte share 15% of his intelligence with the entire party each time it takes a turn.
8) And a Raven Ritualist, which deals 20% of its intelligence as damage to every enemy every time one of my creatures casts a spell.
9) And I fused something with a rift dancer that makes all effects that trigger on Defend trigger an extra time

So in battle I just have all six of my creatures Defend, which triggers each of them to cast this large Murder of Crows AOE spell, which triggers the Raven Ritualist to deal additional AOE damage to the entire party. And then there are even MORE traits I've stacked on like casting a spell has a chance to give my creatures a random buff, my creatures are immune to intelligence-reducing debuffs, etc. And all of my creatures hover around ~80-90% chance to dodge, with 50% chance to dodge spells.

This might sound overpowered and, yeah, it is - and so is every build in Siralim, and so are enemy party comps, which will occasionally hard counter you, and that means always being ready to tweak the team to counter what I'm up against. Then there are literally hundreds of other party comps I can think of looking at just the list of creatures I've got so far (42 floors in, there are 150 total currently in the game) plus however many hundreds more that I'm not clever enough to think of.

There's ALSO a mode you can enable that regularly forces you into different classes/specs which makes you re-evaluate your build basically every single dungeon run which is rad and I can't wait to unlock it

Game owns

Ok, as somebody who just played through 3 a few months ago and loves it but it ready to get...something else out of the series will ultimate deliver in any way?