Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I like the 70's style videotape. Every British show I watched from the 1960's to mid-1990's looked universally awful so it seems appropriate.

Not sure if it was a PAL thing or if the British enjoyed a color palette that looked like dried piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

christmas boots posted:

haha look at the funny foreign kid what an adorable little sex offender

Somehow he was getting laid 24/7 when the show was popular.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I like the 70's style videotape. Every British show I watched from the 1960's to mid-1990's looked universally awful so it seems appropriate.

Not sure if it was a PAL thing or if the British enjoyed a color palette that looked like dried piss.

TV in the UK was funded by a TV tax, so they didn't get that sweet, sweet funding from commercials like we did in the US. It's most likely they just couldn't afford better equipment.

There was even a joke about it in National Lampoon's European Vacation.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rodbeard posted:

I saw him in that From Dusk til Dawn series that was on Hulu awhile ago, and god :drat: I didn't recognize him. Like, I knew he was familiar, but it took me a couple "Really!?" to piece together that it was him.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

the_steve posted:

that From Dusk til Dawn series that was on Hulu awhile ago,

Was that any good?

I am a big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, but I saw the direct to video sequels, and Holy Jesus gently caress they are awful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

TV in the UK was funded by a TV tax, so they didn't get that sweet, sweet funding from commercials like we did in the US. It's most likely they just couldn't afford better equipment.

There was even a joke about it in National Lampoon's European Vacation.

Well the BBC was. There was an independent channel by that point and they did have slightly better production values but not by a lot.

Monty Python did an entire episode about the BBC running out of money. "Mrs. Kelly, who owns the flat where they live, has said that they can stay on until the end of the month."

(PAL was a thing though, a lot of the footage was meant to be seen at a slightly higher resolution. But also, 70s aesthetics, man.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

God that British counterpart was truly, truly awful. Part of what makes Red's frequent threats slightly more palatable is that he's this not particularly threatening looking old dude. You cast a more hulking bloke in the same role and suddenly those threats come off way, way darker

Also, while I think it's an interesting choice to shoot the thing as if it was a legit British 70s show, those shows looked like poo poo and no one wants to watch that

Red not threatening? Clarence boedicker emanates pure menace.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

God that British counterpart was truly, truly awful. Part of what makes Red's frequent threats slightly more palatable is that he's this not particularly threatening looking old dude. You cast a more hulking bloke in the same role and suddenly those threats come off way, way darker

How the gently caress can you say Clarence Boddicker isn't "threatening"

Edit:^^ drat it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It has been awhile since I've actually watched That 70's show so I'm not sure how the show held up in general. It is kind of weird that we're farther away from the 90's than the show was compared to the 70's when it started.

If That 80's show didn't bomb maybe that would be a trend.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

bobjr posted:

It has been awhile since I've actually watched That 70's show so I'm not sure how the show held up in general. It is kind of weird that we're farther away from the 90's than the show was compared to the 70's when it started.

I can just imagine in a couple decades we get "That 2020 Show"... Not "That 2020's Show"... just 2020. It lasts 13 seasons.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

bobjr posted:

I rewatched a lot of it when Comedy Central had it in syndication a year or two ago and the first half of it holds up pretty well. I always liked the first season a bit more because I thought it used the period setting better, plus the cast still easily passed as high school kids, but the second and third seasons were really good too.

The fourth season is okay, but season five (Which IIRC starts with the California part someone else mentioned) is where they essentially start resetting everything at the beginning and end of each season so nothing develops beyond the same cycles. It’s not outright bad (Mostly), but the show just gets very repetitive from that season onward, until you get to the final season without Eric, mostly without Kelso, and the horrible Randy character and it’s clear holy poo poo the show needed to be over.

Granted, I haven’t watched it (Or even seen it on TV) since before all the Danny Masterson stuff really blew up, so I have no idea how rewatching it now would be, particularly some of the earlier episodes where Hyde was more of a creep...

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fartknocker posted:

I rewatched a lot of it when Comedy Central had it in syndication a year or two ago and the first half of it holds up pretty well. I always liked the first season a bit more because I thought it used the period setting better, plus the cast still easily passed as high school kids, but the second and third seasons were really good too.

The fourth season is okay, but season five (Which IIRC starts with the California part someone else mentioned) is where they essentially start resetting everything at the beginning and end of each season so nothing develops beyond the same cycles. It’s not outright bad (Mostly), but the show just gets very repetitive from that season onward, until you get to the final season without Eric, mostly without Kelso, and the horrible Randy character and it’s clear holy poo poo the show needed to be over.

Granted, I haven’t watched it (Or even seen it on TV) since before all the Danny Masterson stuff really blew up, so I have no idea how rewatching it now would be, particularly some of the earlier episodes where Hyde was more of a creep...

Someone once said that That 70's show has an episode where they are making fun of Fonz jumping the shark where the series jumps the shark. I thought that was a good way to put it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sweet geek swag posted:

Someone once said that That 70's show has an episode where they are making fun of Fonz jumping the shark where the series jumps the shark. I thought that was a good way to put it.

Some quick and dirty googlin’ tells me that was like midway through season 4, and that’s fairly accurate.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fartknocker posted:

Some quick and dirty googlin’ tells me that was like midway through season 4, and that’s fairly accurate.

I think it was early season 5, but more or less the same thing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was a point where they were running out of plot and reason for the characters to stay in the basement all the time and not do anything, where even the year of the show stopped and stayed the same the last 4 seasons.

Which made season 8 weird because Eric was gone and everyone still hung out at his house, including Donna bringing over her new boyfriend constantly.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well the BBC was. There was an independent channel by that point and they did have slightly better production values but not by a lot.

Monty Python did an entire episode about the BBC running out of money. "Mrs. Kelly, who owns the flat where they live, has said that they can stay on until the end of the month."

(PAL was a thing though, a lot of the footage was meant to be seen at a slightly higher resolution. But also, 70s aesthetics, man.)

British shows generally used different camera types for filming outside and inside and it's kinda obvious most of the time.

They seem to be a thriftier lot, too. There was a higher percentage using black and white television in the UK. It was reported last year that more than 6,000 still retain a license for black and white

Here's a related bit about the 1971 color strike:

Wikipedia posted:

The strike was called off on 2 February 1971 with all colour production and transmissions resuming on 8 February except for some ITV regions continuing to broadcast in black and white until the following dates: Westward Television (22 May 1971), Border Television (1 September 1971), Grampian Television (30 September 1971) and Channel Television (26 July 1976).

(Channel was unaffected, really, having never broadcast in color before the strike.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That 70s Show starts in '76 and ends on new year's 1980 and they still somehow manage to have five Christmas episodes, at least one of them with Eric in it when supposedly he'd be in Africa at the time.

Also yeah the realization that we're as far away from its debut than it was from its setting is mind blowing

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Calaveron posted:

That 70s Show starts in '76 and ends on new year's 1980 and they still somehow manage to have five Christmas episodes, at least one of them with Eric in it when supposedly he'd be in Africa at the time.

It gets worse when you realize the first season basically covers the summer of ‘76 to summer of ‘77. Things get really compressed in there at some point where it’s all stalled.

By comparison, I think M*A*S*H had like four or five episodes featuring Christmas, including the later episode that depicts the entirety of 1951, but that show generally played loose with exactly when during the Korean War it was set, to the point I think the Chinese intervention happens more than once.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I have a flimsy excuse to post this now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rrZeTH9HI

Also I did not pick up on the fact that the guy Dwayne Johnson played when he had a cameo on that 70's show was not only a real wrestler but also his father.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

fartknocker posted:

It gets worse when you realize the first season basically covers the summer of ‘76 to summer of ‘77. Things get really compressed in there at some point where it’s all stalled.

By comparison, I think M*A*S*H had like four or five episodes featuring Christmas, including the later episode that depicts the entirety of 1951, but that show generally played loose with exactly when during the Korean War it was set, to the point I think the Chinese intervention happens more than once.

As it gets later on, the inconsistent timeline in M*A*S*H ends up giving it a super weird purgatorial feel that is really noticeable if you're marathoning it. All of the continuity, character development and characters coming and going is is recognized but time has no meaning.

That 70's Show just ended up being a sitcom with 70s aesthetics. I actually liked the last season if only for it finally letting the characters, especially Donna, get out of the rut of the last few seasons. Eric and Kelso coming back for the finale pretty much tossed all of that away though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Topher Grace even end up being in many movies? The only ones I can think of are Spiderman 3 and Win A Date With Chad Hamilton, and I’m really disturbed that I remember Win A Date With Chad Hamilton.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Did Topher Grace even end up being in many movies? The only ones I can think of are Spiderman 3 and Win A Date With Chad Hamilton, and I’m really disturbed that I remember Win A Date With Chad Hamilton.

He was Davis Duke in BlacKkKlansman too.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
He was im BlacKKKlansman pretty recently.

Edit: Beaten

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

He also had a small role in Interstellar

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Predators

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I saw it in theatre, enjoyed it, and immediately forgot it existed.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Outside of that 70s show, the only thing I've seen Topher in was the romcom Take Me Home Tonight. It was dumb and honestly not great but I enjoyed it, but it hit me at a very specific time in my life, so.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
That 70's Show didn't have one mention of krautrock afaik.

It should burn for that alone.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Was that any good?

I am a big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, but I saw the direct to video sequels, and Holy Jesus gently caress they are awful.

It's been a long time, and I don't think I actually watched the whole thing, pretty sure they hadn't even made it into Mexico when I quit watching.
Basically it was something I had on while a friend was hanging out at my place.
That being said, I don't remember disliking it. I may have to look and see if it's still on there and give it another go now that you have me remembering it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

rodbeard posted:

I have a flimsy excuse to post this now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rrZeTH9HI

Also I did not pick up on the fact that the guy Dwayne Johnson played when he had a cameo on that 70's show was not only a real wrestler but also his father.

If I remember right the guy playing his manager was actually also his father.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

He had a tiny role as himself in Oceans 12

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Krispy Wafer posted:

I forget the technical details, but there was something about the technology of the the time that meant converting analogue video between NTSC and PAL formats (in both directions) gave the converted footage a grainy look and lovely washed-out colours. Clips converted from NTSC to PAL were even worse because they had to be upscaled from 525 to 625 lines as well. You could always recognise a clip imported from the US because it was simultaneously smeary, grainy, and tinted yellow/brown. It wasn't until the mid 80s that better technology made the conversion more seamless.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

British shows generally used different camera types for filming outside and inside and it's kinda obvious most of the time.

A lot of outdoor stuff was still shot on film well into the 70s, only switching to video tape indoors where the lighting could be more carefully controlled, and it's really noticeable when things switch from one to the other between shots.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Dec 17, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

They seem to be a thriftier lot, too. There was a higher percentage using black and white television in the UK. It was reported last year that more than 6,000 still retain a license for black and white

Until the digital switchover in 2012 you could watch programmes online via iPlayer with only a black and white TV licence, so it used to be clever thrifty people. It's believed, however, that most of the people who still have monochrome licenses are blind or partially sighted.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rodbeard posted:

He was with Lindsay Lohan during the height of her fame and sex symbol status. As an adolescent boy at the time I was very envious but as an adult it’s weird because she was 17/18 at the time and they had to hide their relationship until she was of age.

Related media that didn’t age well: nationwide horniness for this teenager because she had big boobs! Maybe it just felt that way at the time because again, I was 12/13, but also this is a real magazine cover. I know skeevy British papers have countdowns to legal age and poo poo but here in prudish America that’s weird!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Grampian Television

Over here we call that "CBS"

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He was with Lindsay Lohan during the height of her fame and sex symbol status. As an adolescent boy at the time I was very envious but as an adult it’s weird because she was 17/18 at the time and they had to hide their relationship until she was of age.

Related media that didn’t age well: nationwide horniness for this teenager because she had big boobs! Maybe it just felt that way at the time because again, I was 12/13, but also this is a real magazine cover. I know skeevy British papers have countdowns to legal age and poo poo but here in prudish America that’s weird!

America only wants people to think it's prudish.
I know there were tons of people counting down the days on the Olsen Twins, Britney Spears, and literally every other child actor and teen pop singer.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Yeah, the whole “countdown until x female celebrity is legal” thing is something I’m glad seems to have gone the way of the dodo, at least I think. There’s no way I’m googling if there are any Jojo Siwa countdown clocks out there.

I remember Robot Chicken had a funny sendup of the whole thing.

“The Olsen twins - they’re legal man!”
“Dude, you’re 36”

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

letthereberock posted:

Yeah, the whole “countdown until x female celebrity is legal” thing is something I’m glad seems to have gone the way of the dodo, at least I think. There’s no way I’m googling if there are any Jojo Siwa countdown clocks out there.

I remember Robot Chicken had a funny sendup of the whole thing.

“The Olsen twins - they’re legal man!”
“Dude, you’re 36”

I'm sure they're still around, you'd just need to look for some content aggregate site with a clickbait headline like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW THIS CHILD STAR LOOKS NOW!"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the_steve posted:

I'm sure they're still around, you'd just need to look for some content aggregate site with a clickbait headline like "YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW THIS CHILD STAR LOOKS NOW!"

Taboola algorithms or whatever clearly think I'm an old man because I get stuff like "Elisabeth Shue leaves nothing to the imagination at 56!" and also "If you're over 50, you must play this game!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The clickbait thing I always wondered about was that photo of the woman on a beach who was a giant foot. But I never clicked it, so the mystery remains.