Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Enigma posted:

Can we not, please.

If things are not serious enough for you feel free to drink alone, yeah with nobody else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Bourbon is easier and faster to type than Tennessee whiskey. That’s as much as I care about the distinction lol.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

abske_fides posted:

Metallic might not be the best word to describe it, but it has an aftertaste which I really didn't like. It's too bad as well because the initial pear taste is quite lovely.

I'm also thinking about getting a calendar if I can get it shipped to Norway without paying an insane price. Since everything in 2020 sucks, perhaps I'll have to splurge on one either way

Make a DIY one, like a true son of the north. Hit me up if you need white dog (don't actually do that, I don't have any, officer)

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

I was incredibly lucky last week and was able to get two bottle of E H Taylor Single Barrel BIB from my state's website. By far the best bourbon I had and probably will unless I win a pappy lottery.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

wormil posted:

If things are not serious enough for you feel free to drink alone, yeah with nobody else.

Yeah, you know when I drink alone I prefer to be by myself.

Cracked open a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa last night. It's the heaviest peat I've had thus far, but still pretty good.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
On an impulse I bought a bottle of Dalwhinnie Winter's Gold to save for christmas, might be fun?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bought myself a Highland Park 12 the other day. Quite nice and balanced. I usually go for something more peaty when I'm at a bar but this is rather good on its own.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I realize I was maybe too forward in my last message about jack Daniels barrel proof, and I’ve since had a couple more chances to try some.

After further review, it’s ridiculously good. I’ll be on the lookout for more store picks, but may pick up a few standard bottles to compare too as well.

The TW by me has the 375ml bottles for $25, which I might grab to compare.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

Octomore 8.2 is making me feel like a grizzled old steamship captain right now. Lots of citrus and dark fruit but mostly I'm getting rocked by the coal smoke, brine and unexpected amount of heat. I think this is the first whisky I prefer with water added, which brings out a nice vanilla note. Now I want more Octomores.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I am up on Speyside right now and earlier tried the Glenallachie 12 OB. Nice dram. VERY oily.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

I am up on Speyside right now and earlier tried the Glenallachie 12 OB. Nice dram. VERY oily.

Yeah it's good stuff. The 15yo is a crazy sherry bomb. Like old GlenDronach 15yo levels. Not nearly as good, more of a simpler, less complex version of it but still good.

I'm currently on an Edradour kick and I've nabbed myself an independent bottling by The Ultimate of a delicious 9yo cask strength 2009 vintage which is just incredibly rich and fruity. Matured in a Sherry butt for the full 9 years.

I've also gotten an OB of the 2008 vintage Natural Cask Strength, also the sherry version which I imagine will be similar but I haven't opened that one yet.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Billy Walker (who was at Glendronach) is now at Glenallachie and seems to have kept the knack of finding nice casks around the place. Had a single cask one last night from an Oloroso puncheon. Pretty good again.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

Yeah it's good stuff. The 15yo is a crazy sherry bomb. Like old GlenDronach 15yo levels. Not nearly as good, more of a simpler, less complex version of it but still good.

I'm currently on an Edradour kick and I've nabbed myself an independent bottling by The Ultimate of a delicious 9yo cask strength 2009 vintage which is just incredibly rich and fruity. Matured in a Sherry butt for the full 9 years.

I've also gotten an OB of the 2008 vintage Natural Cask Strength, also the sherry version which I imagine will be similar but I haven't opened that one yet.

I have a bottle of the 2007 natural cask strength sherry cask and it’s fantastic. It’s the only Edradour I’ve ever tried, but I’m definitely going to stay on the lookout for more!

Did you get yours off of finedrams?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I have a bottle of the 2007 natural cask strength sherry cask and it’s fantastic. It’s the only Edradour I’ve ever tried, but I’m definitely going to stay on the lookout for more!

Did you get yours off of finedrams?

No from a local shop actually. They're usually only a couple euro over the cheapest online prices and merely a short bike ride away. Online I do most of my liquor buying at drankdozijn.nl or drankgigant.nl

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Edit: double post

Virtue fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 29, 2020

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Harmony is fine but it's a pretty straightforward dram once you get past the beautiful bottle. The consensus is that it's a pale reflection of the original Hibiki 12, and I tend to agree, the 12 (which was also wildly overpriced for what you got) had a lot of floral, subtly fruity complexity that I do not get with Harmony.

If you have the patience to try a few bottles of $20-$40 blended Scotch you can probably find something roughly equivalent to Harmony for a fraction of the price. Decent quality blends that include grain whisky tend to be sweet, fruity, and drinkable.

Any specific recommendations? The only $20-40 blended Scotch I can recall having is JW Red and Black which wasn't close at all.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Virtue posted:

Any specific recommendations? The only $20-40 blended Scotch I can recall having is JW Red and Black which wasn't close at all.

I am a fan of the Compass Box Great King Street blends, which are $35 near me. I see lots of other blends in that price range in stores near me but I have no idea which ones, if any, are decent. I usually just stick to single malt if I'm doing Scotch. Definitely agree that Johnny Walker's blends are way off base for this, but you could also try things like Ballantine's, Grant's, Chivas, etc., particularly if they have an age statement.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Back to my blind tastings again with a Bottled-In-Bond flight from Friday:

I surprisingly only had 5 BIB bottles in my cabinet, so I decided to just go with all 5 this time.

Dickel 11 Year, McKenna 10 Year, Mellow Corn, Rittenhouse Rye, E.H. Taylor Small Batch
Some things to note: all of these except for the Rittenhouse and MC qualify as straight bourbon, but obviously the corn whiskey and Tennessee whisky designations supercede on the case of the MC and Dickel. Rittenhouse is only 51% rye, so it isn't as much of an outlier as something like Whistlepig or MGP sourced rye would be.

Regardless of these notes, this was definitely the easiest guessing I've had so far. Each of these whiskeys had their merits, and I'd be happy to drink any of them any time (with one exception). The ratings for this were based on my mood/palate of the day, and there'd definitely be days where I'd want the flavor of one of the ones I picked lower over the others.

In first place was the Rittenhouse Rye: a light caramel, vanilla nose, with spicy, nutty, bubblegum flavors on the tongue. This was exactly what I was in the mood for on a Friday afternoon after a long week. Second came the Dickel: cinnamon spice filled the nose, with a sweet caramel apple and buttery flavor surrounded by oak. Definitely a charcoal mellowed Tennessee whisky taste. Third was a tie here between the McKenna and the Taylor, it was too hard to decide which of the two somewhat basic bourbons I was happier with in the moment. McKenna had a nice salted caramel brown sugar nose, with the same tones amplified with vanilla, chocolate, and oak on the palate, with a nice light spice in the finish. Taylor's nose was pure cherry vanilla Dr. Pepper, and palate hit the vanilla, cherry and brown sugar, also with a nice light spice in the finish. Having had the McKenna as the stand-out in one of my previous tastings, and finding myself getting better and better at recognizing distinct tastes of distilleries, I managed to guess these two properly. We'll see if that can hold true in the future.
In last place was Mellow Corn. I'll preface this by saying it's a great mixer, and probably a great alternative to grain scotch. Nose was bourbony: caramel, vanilla, oak; but the palate was clearly not. Very thin with a grainy coconut butter taste that you get from something like Compass Box Hedonism or Girvan No.4.

Next up is probably a Buffalo Trace Horizontal with Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, EHT, and Blanton's in the lineup - don't know when I'll get to it though, and maybe I'll throw in a Weller 107 or something too.

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 31, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been using Rittenhouse rye to make old fashioneds, good choice.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

all of these except for the Rittenhouse qualify as straight bourbon

I thought Mellow Corn was aged in second-fill casks, which would make it Not Bourbon? It's possible I am misunderstanding something, though.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

I thought Mellow Corn was aged in second-fill casks, which would make it Not Bourbon? It's possible I am misunderstanding something, though.

no, you're right, that's my mistake - I didn't realize that corn whiskey didn't have the new oak requirement
edit: that'll also probably help account for the scotchy taste to it

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
I think (but I'm probably wrong) most of the flavor of MC comes from the bourbon that was in the cask for the first fill. Scotch gets some of that, too, of course, but an all-barley distillate has a bunch of flavor, and I think a corn-whiskey distillate is less rich - leading to the thin flavor you mentioned. Still some flavor from the whiskey that used to be in the cask, but a dilute, hollow touch laid over the blandish sweetness and roughness of the corn based distillate. I've noticed that MC tastes a lot like Evan Williams, which is also produced by Heaven Hill.

Honestly, I like MC pretty well, although I also like good whisk(e)y.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
People sometimes mistake Mellow Corn for ex-bourbon barrel-aged Scotch in blind tastings due to the re-used barrels. It's worth throwing MC into a blind tasting for that reason alone.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

People sometimes mistake Mellow Corn for ex-bourbon barrel-aged Scotch in blind tastings due to the re-used barrels. It's worth throwing MC into a blind tasting for that reason alone.

I mean, it's a pretty recognizable flavor for most scotch drinkers, because grain whisky used in blended scotch is mostly distilled from corn in a column still and then aged in refill casks. So in that way Mellow Corn is a lot like the average Scotch grain whisky.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Derby day blind buffalo trace tasting!

Gonna do this one as I did it to keep the suspense built

Glass A:
Nose: candied apple, caramel, light oak
Taste: vanilla, sugar, light oak backing, nice bit of buttercream frosting, not really any bite

Glass B:
Nose: caramel, stronger oak, mild cinnamon spice
Taste: surprising bitter overoaked taste, cherry, vanilla, cinnamon spice, light chocolate, definitely higher proof

Glass C:
Nose: spice, cinnamon, candied sugar caramel
Taste: sugary oak, mild bitterness, light spice

Glass D:
Nose: candied apple, caramel, peach and citrus (I've been drinking too many NEIPAs lately) lighter sugar though
Taste: vanilla, rummy molasses, spice, then oak

Rankings: D, A, C, B
Reveal: D Eagle Rare, A Buffalo Trace, C Blanton's, B EHT Small Batch

Not super surprised but intrigued that the Taylor was the weak point here. I'll concede that all of these bottles except the Taylor were barrel picks from the same store so maybe they just have good picks...
I did guess them all correctly too, but I did have a bit of a waver on which was the Taylor and the Blanton's, but the proof gave it away I think

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I did the same blind taste lineup (plus 4 from Jim Beam) a while back and Eagle Rare was my top pick as well, but EHT was #2. I think the other 3 people with me had the same top 2. I ranked Booker's over BT & Blanton's, but everyone else had all the JBs in their bottom 4.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

The same bottle of Taylor was in my tasting last week and I didn't get any of the bitterness that I got this time. If I didn't know what was in the lineup is probably have guessed it was Eagle Rare. It's a pretty fresh bottle too.
It could have been my palate yesterday, or just in comparing 4 much more similar whiskeys I noticed the distinguishing flavors a bit more.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Derby day blind buffalo trace tasting!

Gonna do this one as I did it to keep the suspense built

Glass A:
Nose: candied apple, caramel, light oak
Taste: vanilla, sugar, light oak backing, nice bit of buttercream frosting, not really any bite

Glass B:
Nose: caramel, stronger oak, mild cinnamon spice
Taste: surprising bitter overoaked taste, cherry, vanilla, cinnamon spice, light chocolate, definitely higher proof

Glass C:
Nose: spice, cinnamon, candied sugar caramel
Taste: sugary oak, mild bitterness, light spice

Glass D:
Nose: candied apple, caramel, peach and citrus (I've been drinking too many NEIPAs lately) lighter sugar though
Taste: vanilla, rummy molasses, spice, then oak

Rankings: D, A, C, B
Reveal: D Eagle Rare, A Buffalo Trace, C Blanton's, B EHT Small Batch

Not super surprised but intrigued that the Taylor was the weak point here. I'll concede that all of these bottles except the Taylor were barrel picks from the same store so maybe they just have good picks...
I did guess them all correctly too, but I did have a bit of a waver on which was the Taylor and the Blanton's, but the proof gave it away I think

Every time I drink Blantons I always think, "maybe this time..... THIS TIME... I will enjoy this"

Each time is a sorrow not only in the poor finish but also knowing I will do the same thing next year.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The candy corn of bourbons?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Enigma posted:

The candy corn of bourbons?

Overhyped and overrated but in a fancy bottle with collectable corks
My memory of Elmer T Lee is that it was good, I just wish it wasn't Weller 12 rare so I could get a bottle and compare it. Of course that's a $30 bottle that gets $200 on secondary, and Blanton's is a $60 bottle that gets maybe $120ish

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Blanton's is the one Whiskey or Bourbon I've found that was noticibly better after it was half gone and had oxidized for a while

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Blanton's is the one Whiskey or Bourbon I've found that was noticibly better after it was half gone and had oxidized for a while

Angel's Envy and George T Stagg are better this way for me, and a few others I forget that had a disappointing neck pour but were good after sitting on the shelf a while later.

I think Blanton's is fine, just not worth going out of my way or paying secondary for. I enjoy it more with a cigar.

What I will go out of my way for is Jefferson's Ocean. I just emptied my bottle and can never find it locally :( gotta drive 2 hours to the total wine that has it in stock

Apache
May 11, 2004

Enigma posted:

Can we not, please.

Are there any online retailers with 4R picks? It’s my favorite distillery, but i cant find picks near me.

I think my local liquor store has it for 80. Not sure if they ship outside of central FL though https://grapevinelakeland.com/shop/?product-id=56c2722175627570b0640200.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My shelf usually has Oban 18 year, Whistlepig 12yr, Hakashu 12yr, Nikka Whisky from the Barrell, Jefferson’s Ocean, Four Roses Small Batch. I use the Four Roses for the mixed drinks. Buffalo Trace isn’t always readily available apparently. I wish my pallete was refined enough to detect all the flavors but I like those from what I’ve tried thus far. I have a Lizardville here close to my home that has like 200+ bottles of various Whiskeys, Scotches and Bourbons and i usually sample from there before buying. Next week they’re having a Whiskey week and on Friday will have Pappy flight to try. Of which I’ve had Pappy 20 yr and it is one that gets better the longer it sits out but a pour was $150. It was good but knowing it now I wouldn’t do it again for the price but given how hard it was to find I appreciated the experience.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Cracked open a bottle of Ardbeg An Oa last night. It's the heaviest peat I've had thus far, but still pretty good.

Ardbeg is one of my all time favorite whiskies. My work does a big bonus every year and I always buy a bottle of Correyvecken.

My fav bourbon is New Riff Single barrel these days. Other bourbons might be a little bit better but new riff single barrel is definitely the best value I've ever found.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

My fav bourbon is New Riff Single barrel these days. Other bourbons might be a little bit better but new riff single barrel is definitely the best value I've ever found.

I've only heard good things about New Riff, but it's not available around here... I may pick up a bottle when I'm in NH in a few weeks though because it looks like they get it

Edit: apparently rabbit hole and new riff share a distillery?

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 12, 2020

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

I've only heard good things about New Riff, but it's not available around here... I may pick up a bottle when I'm in NH in a few weeks though because it looks like they get it

Edit: apparently rabbit hole and new riff share a distillery?

New Riff is pretty great and started by people who legitimately care about spirits / bourbon.

Rabbit hole is contract distilling out of New Riff until their space in Louisville is up and running. I have no opinion on this.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone had the Angels Envy Rye? I'm curious how the rum cask finish works, or if it sweetens it up too much?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I like Angel's Envy bourbon but the rye is a bit too sweet for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Carillon posted:

Anyone had the Angels Envy Rye? I'm curious how the rum cask finish works, or if it sweetens it up too much?

Maple doughnut. Delicious. Not for everyone cause it’s pretty sweet