Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

ArfJason posted:

might have to give this a longer think but i need to do something rn

on retrospect i might have placed gorge a/d higher than i should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I also have very fond memories of Fast lane.

My favorite good-bad map is when PL_Cashworks was in an early version. It wasn't a good map balance and even layout wise but drat if it wasn't fun.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
oh btw ive been watching some of heavyisgps's balance mod videos. some really fuckin cool and spicy poo poo in there (vitasaw heals teammates on hit for quick burst, engie catapults/speedpads, natascha makes *you* faster on hit instead of slowing the enemy down)

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ArfJason posted:

oh btw ive been watching some of heavyisgps's balance mod videos. some really fuckin cool and spicy poo poo in there (vitasaw heals teammates on hit for quick burst, engie catapults/speedpads, natascha makes *you* faster on hit instead of slowing the enemy down)

you can't make these provocative claims without linking it :allears:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Paul MaudDib posted:

you can't make these provocative claims without linking it :allears:

e: https://www.balancemod.tf/

heres the release trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUTMn8fdpQ

dude has a billion videos covering each month's changelogs. one that isnt shown here is the Loose Cannon doing 50% less self damage, which lets you overcharge jump just like the beggars and can lead to some seriously cool demo jumps. also he made the sharpened volcano fragment explode on burning enemies so you can do sick AOE damage.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
EDIT: ^^ That sounds amazing, I gotta check that out!

This is my newer ranking. I moved a few around. Lost the luster for a few and gained a new appreciation for some others. TF2 after such a break always has more stuff to learn and come back to. Such a uniquely good game :)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
he also made it so the lunchbox items for heavy eat at different speeds, so for example, dalokohs bar is eaten fast and buffalo steak SUPER fast. it all sounds really cool and i should see if his creators.tf server wont kick me due to lag lol

e: hightower really is one of the greatest hits of tf2

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 21, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Powerhouse is a great map, but it needs a forward spawn for whoever holds mid. Put a spawn room up high over that middle open area on each team's side (the one between mid and last, connecting to that flank at mid that goes across from the point. Since it'll make defending mid easier also make mid cap super fast.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i feel i shouldve placed powerhouse a bit higher but it does need some tweaking. its a pretty alright map

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I enjoy 5cp, Koth, wide open A/D maps because that means I get to play Scout.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's actually one other issue I have with it, there are some hosed up textures on the stairs in the garage leading from mid to the sniper perch.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The game updated! Summer crates!

"TF2 Update 8/21/20" posted:

August 21, 2020 - TF2 Team

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added the Summer 2020 Cosmetic Case
Contains 22 new community-contributed items
Adds 4 new community-created Unusual effects
Fixed an issue where values computed from server bounded ConVars could be incorrect on the client and therefore possibly exploitable
Fixed Australium Medigun/Wrench items not dropping for the Mann vs. Machine rewards
Fixed the chat window not always being restored to the appropriate place
Fixed Competitive badges not displaying correctly
Increased the default caps_per_round for Mannpower mode
Updated the Watch Streams dialog to open the Twitch page
Updated cp_granary with a permanent Soldier statue
Updated/Added some tournament medals
Updated the localization files

I need to check this out, is it a memorial for his voice actor?

e: yep, that's super sweet of them :unsmith:

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 22, 2020

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Wow, after like a year i play tf2 and 2 days later the game gets a (cosmetic) update.

I should play tf2 more often, hopefully i rain dance a balance update

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love 2fort

I'm sorry

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

I hate Harvest, it's very unrewarding to play the objective and usually your team's not there to back you up. Viaduct is the perfect koth map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ott_ posted:

I hate Harvest, it's very unrewarding to play the objective and usually your team's not there to back you up. Viaduct is the perfect koth map.

you misspelled nucleus

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

I love 2fort

I'm sorry

2fort is the best map as measured by community servers

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Shinjobi posted:

I love 2fort

I'm sorry

if I could only ever play one more map, it would be 2fort.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Way back in 2007 or whenever that trailer for TF2 first hit, I remember being tickled pink at the way 2fort had been updated to the new art style. It's fun, but it's also over a decade old now. I'm old. :sigh:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Butt Detective posted:

He COULD add those, but nobody ever votes for 5CP maps when the vote menu comes up, and on the rare occasion we DO end up on a 5CP map, half the server immediately tries to RTV.

I was about to write something about them recognising that 5CP just isn't a good gamemode in pubs because rounds are either a steamroll or a several-hour-long slogfest, but then I remembered this is the same server that will frequently vote to go to Powerhouse where I've seen single rounds go on for 2+ straight hours, so v:v:v

(This is my experience with the Frankfurt server at least, maybe it's different in the US servers. I forgot those were a thing when I wrote this lol)

Most of the game's maps for either CP or CTF would be better off as KOTH instead, especially Powerhouse(especially since the middle section of the map is the fun part while the last points are a slog) and Doublecross

ArfJason posted:

e: https://www.balancemod.tf/

heres the release trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaUTMn8fdpQ

dude has a billion videos covering each month's changelogs. one that isnt shown here is the Loose Cannon doing 50% less self damage, which lets you overcharge jump just like the beggars and can lead to some seriously cool demo jumps. also he made the sharpened volcano fragment explode on burning enemies so you can do sick AOE damage.

Neat

VideoGames posted:

EDIT: ^^ That sounds amazing, I gotta check that out!

This is my newer ranking. I moved a few around. Lost the luster for a few and gained a new appreciation for some others. TF2 after such a break always has more stuff to learn and come back to. Such a uniquely good game :)

Honestly the only problem I have with Sujin is that it runs like poo poo, if it wasn't for that it would be much more highly rated in my opinion

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I may be an oddity but I actually do like playing some of the lesser played maps once a night or so. It gets old playing on an infinite loop of badwater/upward/dustbowl, hoodoo or Borneo or whatever breaks up the tedium a bit.

What I always do is queue up for lots of maps and then take them off once they’re played.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

this tier list maker sucks because it doesn't include Helltower, which is Actually the best map in the game

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Shere posted:

The game updated! Summer crates!

I need to check this out, is it a memorial for his voice actor?

e: yep, that's super sweet of them :unsmith:

Granary is the ultimate soldier map. A fitting tribute.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I just recently came back to the game, I haven't played in long enough that the only maps I really remember are 2fort and dustbowl.

I mostly like payload maps though. They never seem one-sided enough to just be a stomp but they'll also eventually end without stalemating forever. Just queuing up for casual doesn't land me enough koth to really form an opinion on it as a mode yet though.

drrockso20 posted:

Most of the game's maps for either CP or CTF would be better off as KOTH instead

This got me to imagine koth 2fort and the concept is kinda terrifying. Just the control point smack dab in the middle of the bridge.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A real meatgrinder would be the courtyard with the point in the middle and the spawns wrapped around it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't had a chance to play it since I started playing again, but I remember liking 5Gorge, and being the only person who seemed to like 5Gorge. Was I an idiot? Maybe I'll find out today!

EDIT: Also, whoever was the last to name their map out of Batwater, Snakewater and Swiftwater was a jerk. I'm never 100% sure if I'm picturing the right map when reading the name Snakewater and Swiftwater.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 22, 2020

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The easiest way to fix the bot problem would be to change tf2's price to be like, 50c or a dollar or w/e, but valve won't do it, or do anything about it honestly

like it's really insulting to have them put out a crate while the game is being hosed to death by these bots and they've been here since january

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

ArfJason posted:

on retrospect i might have placed gorge a/d higher than i should

Steel gets such a bad rap when it's genuinely one of the more enjoyable maps in the game. it's definitely one that requires more attention to map rotation since it can land like a wet fart after a map like Frontier

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
steel is good poo poo yeah. absolutely A tier

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Steel is interesting in concept, but breaks down in play, especially at a high level. There are a lot of cramped hallways and right angle corners. Only point B is good for explosive jumping (E you can get on it off the point and that’s it. The entrances are cramped so they are easy to spam and don’t always follow the 2 1/2 rule.

It’s a cool concept executed averagely at best.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
i like it, i wish some of the points werent such a one and done thing that go by super fast due to cap times

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm gonna be honest 75% of my love for Steel is getting under the lower approach from E to C and laying stickies on the grate and gloating about people who don't know that explosions blow through

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm gonna be honest 75% of my love for Steel is getting under the lower approach from E to C and laying stickies on the grate and gloating about people who don't know that explosions blow through

Yuuuup. Also that pipe you can walk along and the little catwalk down there that you can build on. There are lots of fun little surprise spots like that with Steel.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
My favourite Steel strat is just throwing enough people at E at the start of the round that RED ends up having to split their defences, thus making A easier to cap. It's definitely a map that doesn't really work on casual servers though, since it can be confusing at first and there are so many players who have no idea what they're doing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I've played on steel like 10 times and I still think it's confusing

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't like steel because I don't like any of the indoor maps, so Steel to me is just a map that gets actively worse as it progresses.

I like the map as a concept. Being able to attack E at any point but making it progressively easier to do so as you cap the forward points is pretty cool. I just dislike tiny corridors and rarely ever see a good fight on D, for instance.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 23, 2020

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Confession: barnblitz is actually one of my favorite maps even though it's bad. Mostly because it's fun as hell to play scout in and harass spawns on if you're on the defending team

Confession part 2 I actually haven't played tf2 in a stupidly long time and I really miss it, need to reinstall it and give casual queue another shot some time

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Since Marketplace.TF is going to stop letting you sell items in December, and since key are $1.81 right now. I decided to buy a bunch of keys (13), and I traded for an Unusual on Scrap.TF.

(Not my name or description; that's how it was when I traded for it. It is my first Unusual, though.)

It cost about ten keys. Wasn't the hat I was really aiming to get, though. I wanted the Berlin Brain Bowl to put together a Team Fortress Classic look. I also thought about the Halogen Headlamp or the Otolaryngologist's Mirror, since I wanted something I could wear with the Max's Severed Head. The Unusual effect is something I wanted (the Orbiting Planets).

EDIT: Honestly, right now I'm thinking I might go on a trade server or something, and see if I can swap it for something else.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 24, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So do we have any good alternatives to Marketplace.tf yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

drrockso20 posted:

So do we have any good alternatives to Marketplace.tf yet?

I was watching some random TF2 montage video this morning, and they said they were sponsored by this site: Mannco.Store.

Dunno if they're legit or not, though. They seem to be. The site itself is verified by Cloudflare, and the link to sign in through Steam takes you to the legit Steam login page (verified by Valve Corp)

That said, looking at the ad on that video (around the 1:20 mark), one of the payment options shown is G2A Pay, which is a red flag. There's also no option for PayPal, by the looks of it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 24, 2020