Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think that's from one of the internet audio PPVs. Boston Brawl? or just one of their internet radio shows they tried to make.

I can't remember the guy's name, but I know it's not Tenay or Borash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i was thinking scott hudson but i think he has too much hair

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DJExile posted:

I think that's from one of the internet audio PPVs. Boston Brawl? or just one of their internet radio shows they tried to make.

I can't remember the guy's name, but I know it's not Tenay or Borash.
I don't think it's from any of the audio-only PPVs, those apparently ran from June 1997 to July 1998, and Shane Douglas didn't make his return to WCW until July 26, 1999. He immediately formed The Revolution with Malenko/Saturn/Benoit, but that crew only lasted a few months, as Benoit would turn face and feud with the groups starting in October 1999.

And of course by January 2000 everyone but Douglas jumped ship to WWF.

So whoever the weirdly familiar looking guy is, that photo is almost definitely from between July 26, 1999 and October 11, 1999.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That really annoys me. He looks so familiar.

I'm guessing this is from a pre-show he did with Borash. It has to be BATB 2000 because I don't think Borash was hired on full time by WCW until later in 99.

Anyway, I shot Borash a tweet asking him who the guy is so we can get this settled.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
the one who must not be named has reached out on twitter and told me that it is a guy named Chad Damiani

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jetzotime/status/950581928939241472

here we go

E: He was on Raven's podcast a few years ago too

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He went by the nickname of The Dehli Boy and did the nWo audio updates on the nWo's website.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This Nitro Twitch stream is great!

There is something oddly cringey to me about the NWO walking around clutching aluminum bats constantly. Powerful old guys still trying to be cool energy.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1296216186351484930?s=20

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

about 4 years late to the beavis and butthead game 2 years too early for the adult swim one

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This is my first time watching Souled Out 2000 and godamn does it ever look bush league.

edit: Oh wow so the first match just ends like this huh? Jeeeeesus.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 20, 2020

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The Tank Abbot vs. Big Al match is more unbelievably bad than I remembered. It was a typical Russo "X on a pole" match. For whatever reason, Big All takes his belt off and demands this is now a strap match, with their right hands bound together. But Tank can't quite tie the belt off, so they're just kind of holding hands with a belt loosely hanging around them. They exchange some horrible punches. Tank throws the belt away and begins teeing off on Big Al. Al knocks Tank out, pulls him to the corner, and acts like he's going to pull his nuts into the post, but then decides not to, informing the audience that Tank is "too good for that." Tank springs to life, knocks Al out, and decides TO TRY TO CARRY AL ON HIS SHOULDERS AS HE CLIMBS TO THE TOP TURNBUCKLE, BARELY HOLDING THE POLE FOR BALANCE. Tank slips, Al falls on the ring steps, nearly dying. Tank wins the match, pulls out a knife, puts it to Al's neck, threatens his life, and then the cameras pan away as commentary says "I think it's a pair of scissors, he's gonna cut his beard." Al didn't have a beard. Mark Madden says "Maybe it's a pair of salad tongs."

:psyduck:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Animal-Mother posted:

The Tank Abbot vs. Big Al match is more unbelievably bad than I remembered. It was a typical Russo "X on a pole" match. For whatever reason, Big All takes his belt off and demands this is now a strap match, with their right hands bound together. But Tank can't quite tie the belt off, so they're just kind of holding hands with a belt loosely hanging around them. They exchange some horrible punches. Tank throws the belt away and begins teeing off on Big Al. Al knocks Tank out, pulls him to the corner, and acts like he's going to pull his nuts into the post, but then decides not to, informing the audience that Tank is "too good for that." Tank springs to life, knocks Al out, and decides TO TRY TO CARRY AL ON HIS SHOULDERS AS HE CLIMBS TO THE TOP TURNBUCKLE, BARELY HOLDING THE POLE FOR BALANCE. Tank slips, Al falls on the ring steps, nearly dying. Tank wins the match, pulls out a knife, puts it to Al's neck, threatens his life, and then the cameras pan away as commentary says "I think it's a pair of scissors, he's gonna cut his beard." Al didn't have a beard. Mark Madden says "Maybe it's a pair of salad tongs."

I have so many questions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlTQS-aXv04

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I am in absolute awe of these 00's Nitros. Did anyone really think The Harris Nazis running in on every match after SuperBrawl was gonna get anything but apathy? Jeff Jarrett and the Haris brothers, guys you can really build a company around.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

I am in absolute awe of these 00's Nitros. Did anyone really think The Harris Nazis running in on every match after SuperBrawl was gonna get anything but apathy? Jeff Jarrett and the Haris brothers, guys you can really build a company around.

I feel like at this point creative was just thinking of how to put together a show each week. They couldn't think of how to start to win back viewers or take a new direction (Though the first Bischoff/Russo show was clearly an attempt at a new direction and welp), it's just "Okay how do we fill two hours of television."

I swear there are matches in 2000 Nitro that seem to have been booked entirely at random. Like when you play TEW and see what the computer did with the other promotions.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Animal-Mother posted:

Who in tarnation was Big Al? There seems to be zero information on him available, and cagematch brings up another unrelated wrestler.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Max Coveri posted:

Who in tarnation was Big Al? There seems to be zero information on him available, and cagematch brings up another unrelated wrestler.

911 in ECW wait no he was a different Big Al in WCW :psyduck:

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 21, 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1039698566988685313

Tank got him a job, presumably.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Thank you :)

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I turned the stream on last night to see what was on and immediately turned it off when they were promoting the main event coming up next - Jarrett and The Wall vs Sid and Vampiro.

Just abysmal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

By the end of 99, basically everyone in WCW knew they were done, so from there out it's very much a ton of going-through-the-motions matches and shows that aren't even in that "entertainingly bad" category.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DJExile posted:

By the end of 99, basically everyone in WCW knew they were done, so from there out it's very much a ton of going-through-the-motions matches and shows that aren't even in that "entertainingly bad" category.

That last part is the real kicker and sad part for me as this era of shows is streamed. They aren't even so bad that they're fun to watch. They're just bad and make you feel bad.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I couldn't keep up with the watchparties after that point. My brain just refused to process anything on the screen.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The bright spots on these for me have been Sid and Booker but for completely different reasons. Booker is doing some solid work and actually appearing to get over with fans, only problem is the Harris Brothers are running in on literally every match so his heat gets killed dead. Then Sid is just out there doing Sid poo poo and that's kinda so bad it's good... right up until Hogan gets involved and I feel like I'm watching the most turbo corny 80s WWF poo poo around.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ganso Bomb posted:

https://twitch.tv/legendxkiller

They don't stream all the time and yesterday they just stopped in the middle of a Nitro and started playing video games for the rest of the stream so hopefully it kicks back up again soon.

They've reached David Arquette's title reign and heel turn.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Randy Hogan would be perfect for my fantasy PPV where every match is a jobber squash. Hogan vs. Hogan at MSG, brother

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 21, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Opened the stream just in time for Hugh Morrus to reveal his real name of Hugh G. Rection. Perfect.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
We've been over this in this thread before but Misfits In Action were the loving worst

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheKingslayer posted:

The bright spots on these for me have been Sid and Booker but for completely different reasons. Booker is doing some solid work and actually appearing to get over with fans, only problem is the Harris Brothers are running in on literally every match so his heat gets killed dead. Then Sid is just out there doing Sid poo poo and that's kinda so bad it's good... right up until Hogan gets involved and I feel like I'm watching the most turbo corny 80s WWF poo poo around.

It's crazy to me how Hogan got two different runs where he was absolute top-of-the-world hot and they both ended in exactly the same way: with everyone getting totally sick of him and just wishing he'd stop.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW got huge by having the top heels constantly get heat and never get much of a comeuppance, and when they flailed about in their dying days, they just. Kept. Trying that.

They killed every babyface to get heels over at a time when fans were gagging for a babyface.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

It's crazy to me how Hogan got two different runs where he was absolute top-of-the-world hot and they both ended in exactly the same way: with everyone getting totally sick of him and just wishing he'd stop.

I'm genuinely curious how they managed to keep Hogan away from all the Ready To Rumble build and feuding with Billy Kidman of all people.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It still baffles me how they just let Juvi steal The Rock's entire cache of catch phrases so shamelessly. I mean, obviously the company had no shame especially at that point but still. Nothing could have felt more amateur hour than using someone else's shtick while that person was still active.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Ganso Bomb posted:

It still baffles me how they just let Juvi steal The Rock's entire cache of catch phrases so shamelessly. I mean, obviously the company had no shame especially at that point but still. Nothing could have felt more amateur hour than using someone else's shtick while that person was still active.

Was there ever a Monday night where The Rock and Juvi were using the same catch phrase at the exact same time? That must have happened at least once

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I turned the stream on last night to see what was on and immediately turned it off when they were promoting the main event coming up next - Jarrett and The Wall vs Sid and Vampiro.

Just abysmal.

I just turned on the stream, and I saw a sign that said "Russo eats poop". And Flair just won the title from Jeff Jarrett

What more could I want from entertainment? 8/10

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Someone should have told Hogan the F.U.N.B. poo poo was dumb as hell. Or not maybe, it's really funny to look at.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

overmind2000 posted:

Was there ever a Monday night where The Rock and Juvi were using the same catch phrase at the exact same time? That must have happened at least once
Juvi only did the Rock bit for like two weeks, so I doubt it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Juvi only did the Rock bit for like two weeks, so I doubt it.

Seriously? It felt like he did it forever when it was happening.

Tangential related to this stream - does anyone know of any streams that just run old NWA shows from the 80s? Or even just any other consistent streams like this? It's such a nice way to just put something on that you don't have to think too much about.

Sorry if this request is :filez: but I assume it's not since we've been talking about this WCW stream already.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

WCW got huge by having the top heels constantly get heat and never get much of a comeuppance, and when they flailed about in their dying days, they just. Kept. Trying that.

They killed every babyface to get heels over at a time when fans were gagging for a babyface.

That's right. I got so tired of NWO storming a match, ending in a DQ, it was so goddamn boring and i switched it to RAW instead in those days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ganso Bomb posted:

Seriously? It felt like he did it forever when it was happening.

Tangential related to this stream - does anyone know of any streams that just run old NWA shows from the 80s? Or even just any other consistent streams like this? It's such a nice way to just put something on that you don't have to think too much about.

Sorry if this request is :filez: but I assume it's not since we've been talking about this WCW stream already.

Youtube.