Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a way to remove the Snipping Tool? Now that Snip & Sketch is a thing, I wanna use it. But when I hit the Windows key and type in "snip", 50% of the time, it defaults to Snipping Tool, which then tells me to use Snip & Sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Uthor posted:

Is there a way to remove the Snipping Tool? Now that Snip & Sketch is a thing, I wanna use it. But when I hit the Windows key and type in "snip", 50% of the time, it defaults to Snipping Tool, which then tells me to use Snip & Sketch.
I haven't tried this and I personally wouldn't recommend it, because it involves messing around with group policies and those can gently caress your computer hard, but here's a guide for disabling the default snipping tool: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-snipping-tool-in-windows-10

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i just deleted the snipping tool shortcut from the start menu and it stopped suggesting it. click "open file location" when it appears in the search results and it'll take you there. you can also just press win+shift+s to launch snip & sketch directly

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Weedle posted:

i just deleted the snipping tool shortcut from the start menu and it stopped suggesting it. click "open file location" when it appears in the search results and it'll take you there. you can also just press win+shift+s to launch snip & sketch directly

Came here to post the same thing. Definitely seems like the easiest way to go.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Uthor posted:

You can just delete that link from the start menu and it should stop doing that.

Type snip, right click on the Snipping Tool entry, select open file location. This should should take you to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories which is the all users area of the start menu. Delete the shortcut there (and any other accessories you don't want in your start results). This will get reset with major updates so you'll have to do it again twice a year.

e: god drat that's the tyson-spinks of beaten

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 21, 2020

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Weedle posted:

Nice, thanks for the shortcut!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for the backup advice! I’ll get that setup this weekend.

Weedle posted:

Super thanks for this too!

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
You can bind snip and sketch to PrtScr. It's in the Windows settings under Ease of Access.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

c0burn posted:

You can bind snip and sketch to PrtScr. It's in the Windows settings under Ease of Access.

gently caress yes this is what I'm talkin about. Much much easier.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I updated to the newest version of Windows a few weeks ago and now every time I open my laptop to shitpost or look at a video on youtube or send a quick email or something I have to spend 15 minutes in task manager force closing everything with the word 'Microsoft' or 'Windows' in the name. They usually relaunch themselves 3 or 4 times so it's kind of like playing whack-a-mole. Then after doing all of that my disk usage returns to 0% from 100% and I can finally use my computer. It's a really cool mini-game that does not make me angry at all.
I have disabled everything I possibly can like superfetch and all that stuff. I don't know why I'm posting this other than out of frustration and maybe the hope that someone will post a video about how to use Linux or something.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

caleb posted:

I updated to the newest version of Windows a few weeks ago and now every time I open my laptop to shitpost or look at a video on youtube or send a quick email or something I have to spend 15 minutes in task manager force closing everything with the word 'Microsoft' or 'Windows' in the name. They usually relaunch themselves 3 or 4 times so it's kind of like playing whack-a-mole. Then after doing all of that my disk usage returns to 0% from 100% and I can finally use my computer. It's a really cool mini-game that does not make me angry at all.
I have disabled everything I possibly can like superfetch and all that stuff. I don't know why I'm posting this other than out of frustration and maybe the hope that someone will post a video about how to use Linux or something.

Do you have an SSD or a spinning HDD in that computer?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
SSD. I was more just saying that there is so much bloat now that it is driving me crazy. Your Phone, Xbox things when I don't even own an Xbox, Edge updater when I don't use Edge and never have. There's like 30 Windows things that just open and slow everything to a crawl and I do not use any of them and it is exhausting trying to just kill all of it.

caleb fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 23, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Have you considered... a MacBook?

I’m just kidding and I’m sorry this is happening to you. :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The usual culprit for insane disk usage after a windows update is windows search. #1 thing to try is this:

Settings -> type "search" in the find box, choose "Windows Search Settings" -> scroll down, pick Advanced Search Indexer Settings -> click Advanced -> click button for delete and Rebuild index

(The other frequent thing is a antivirus full scan, but that should be done by now. Unless this is a laptop that is closed / suspended any time you're not actively using it. In that case, leave it alone -- turned on & plugged in -- for a couple hours.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you know what you're doing you can open services.msc and stop a lot of stuff from auto starting. Still, how old is the hardware? Windows 10 runs well on most semi modern hardware.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
I did that and it said "this may take a while" in the dialogue box and then it immediately closed and it seemed like nothing really happened. I think I managed to fully disable telemetry the other day in regedit because that seemed to be the biggest culprit other than search so here's hoping that rebuilding the index worked. I am not exactly a wizard with this stuff so I really appreciate the help.

It's a 3 year old completely stock hp laptop and it's not great but it's not old enough that I would think it would be kicking the bucket.

I went through services in a rage and disabled pretty much everything but it still seems intent on starting up a bunch of things idk but thank you for the suggestion.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is it possible to just reformat?

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
That's probably my next move but I need to pick up a drive first to back up a bunch of stuff. I don't know if it was doing as Klyith suggested or what but I just left it alone for a while out of exasperation and then booted it up again and for the first time in a while it just functioned normally and I didn't have to go through that whole routine. There are still multiple instances of the Microsoft store and Your Phone and other garbage running which irks me slightly but it doesn't take 30 seconds to open a folder anymore.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Anyone see the new Windows 10 "Modern" Disk Management that's we're getting yet? It's super slick and good a cool, very informative and great and all, thanks Microsoft UI Team!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Im_Special posted:

Anyone see the new Windows 10 "Modern" Disk Management that's we're getting yet? It's super slick and good a cool, very informative and great and all, thanks Microsoft UI Team!

Why do they even bother? They haven't even finished merging the old control panel items in to settings yet, but now they're coming after random MMC snap-ins. I can't see in the new interface how you'd do basically anything, so what's the point?

I think they need to admit that their design principles have been pure shite since Windows 8, and re-do everything one more time. Less white space, more information density, visible dividers, buttons, list boxes and so on, so it's easy to figure out what one can click on

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

HalloKitty posted:

Why do they even bother? They haven't even finished merging the old control panel items in to settings yet, but now they're coming after random MMC snap-ins. I can't see in the new interface how you'd do basically anything, so what's the point?

I think they need to admit that their design principles have been pure shite since Windows 8, and re-do everything one more time. Less white space, more information density, visible dividers, buttons, list boxes and so on, so it's easy to figure out what one can click on

But it's so easy to use when you're partitioning the storage on your tablet!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It turns out that the humble "table" is actually a good interface for a lot of things. The thing is, Fluent is actually pretty good. It just seems like the team handling backend configuration thinks that Fluent demands whitespace for its own sake. That UI doesn't even follow Fluent's approach to dividing screen real estate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm having issues with not getting Facebook notifications on Windows 10. They just stopped coming in. I've tried checking the Manage Notifications menu and now the Facebook notifications (and Messenger notifications as well) options aren't appearing in my "Get Notifications from these senders" list.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Any recommended alternatives to CCleaner?

I've used it religiously for years but the updates are a bit annoying, the trying to sneak toolbars in is bad, and even Windows 10 are marking it as dodgy these days - just wondering if something superior has come out in the last six years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VagueRant posted:

I've used it religiously for years but the updates are a bit annoying, the trying to sneak toolbars in is bad, and even Windows 10 are marking it as dodgy these days - just wondering if something superior has come out in the last six years.

I highly recommend some PC aromatherapy candles and energy balance crystals, they're much more effective than grandpa's old snake oil.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From what I hear many people say, you're generally better off not using cleaner programs like that. They often tend to break things, because they're completely willing to mess with things like system files and registry entries without really knowing what the consequences will be.

The standard Windows 10 disk cleaning utility is perfectly adequate for most things and regularly frees up multiple gigabytes of space for me, especially after major updates. Have you given that a shot yet?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

I highly recommend some PC aromatherapy candles and energy balance crystals, they're much more effective than grandpa's old snake oil.

If you don't have a rose quartz in front of your monitor, your system certainly isn't running optimally IMO.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

VagueRant posted:

It doesn't do anything useful and is more harmful to have on your system than not:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/avast-no-plans-to-discontinue-ccleaner-following-second-hack-in-two-years/

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I like CCleaner because I can empty the recycle bin, wipe browser history, uninstall programs and decide what programs run at start-up* all in one convenient spot. The alternative would be 20 minutes of dicking around with 2 browsers and the Control Panel.

Don't think I've used the registry cleaner in years. The only noticeable thing it did was clean the start menu of uninstalled programs and I stopped using the start menu because it keeps changing.

*It only shows a fraction of what runs at start-up, presumably to keep people from disabling stupid poo poo and breaking stuff.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fruits of the sea posted:

I like CCleaner because I can empty the recycle bin, wipe browser history, uninstall programs and decide what programs run at start-up* all in one convenient spot. The alternative would be 20 minutes of dicking around with 2 browsers and the Control Panel.

Don't think I've used the registry cleaner in years. The only noticeable thing it did was clean the start menu of uninstalled programs and I stopped using the start menu because it keeps changing.

Ditto, never cleaned registry, only browser / app caches and a bunch of memory dumps and temp files.

Also the standard Windows cleanup once somehow managed to completely bork my system after I used the 'clean system files' option. As in, Windows wouldn't even boot to recovery, had to completely reinstall from scratch, so I can't help but be kinda wary of it now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, I've never heard of that happening before, but I can see why that would turn you off of using it. Well, just so long as you're aware of the risks.

Personally, I would really recommend just using something like Wiztree, though. You have to manually pick what to delete, but it's not that much effort to run it once a month and it just gives you much more control and insight into what is going on and what you're removing.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would one need to clear browser & app caches on the regular?

Also, to edit autorun entries, you can simply open the task manager and go to the "Startup" tab. For more advanced control that includes Scheduled tasks etc., Microsoft's Autoruns is very handy.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I think bleachbit is the opensource alternative to ccleaner, if that helps. It's nice to be able to get rid of all the versions of directx and other redists in one click.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

Why would one need to clear browser & app caches on the regular?

Also, to edit autorun entries, you can simply open the task manager and go to the "Startup" tab. For more advanced control that includes Scheduled tasks etc., Microsoft's Autoruns is very handy.

Yeah, the task manager provides an overview and there's also Task Scheduler if one wants to mess around with services.

Clearing browsers of cookies(because inevitably some site requires them) and history is probably the most useful. App caches inevitably get built up again so its a bit of a Sisyphean task.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

caleb posted:

I have disabled everything I possibly can
Msconfig disable from startup things you don't like, go to services do the same, I keep Microsoft stuff, but prune the "non-Microsoft" services. This is the most helpful thing that 1/2 people don't seem to know.

Fame Douglas posted:

Or this, but I thought you had to install sysinternals to get them.

I added the new powertoys and am digging the screensnap and alt-space to search for apps like on Macs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like Joe Biden asking something this basic, but how do I tell the computer to display a specific program in 4:3 even when it's full screen.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like Joe Biden asking something this basic, but how do I tell the computer to display a specific program in 4:3 even when it's full screen.
That should be in the management software that came with the drivers for your graphics card. Search for the option that lets you select the scaling mode and choose 'maintain aspect ratio,' which should force the monitor to display 4:3 resolutions as-is without stretching them out. The specifics depend on your GPU's manufacturer, so I can't tell you where exactly you'd find it. It's easy to google for, though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lurdiak posted:

If the thing that is full screen is an old game that does only 4:3 resolutions, there are two possible ways to go:

1. Your monitor's menus somewhere should have a setting for aspect ratio or similar. (Generally they have "stretch", "1:1", and "preserve aspect", but sometimes only the first two. 1:1 sucks because it doesn't expand anything so old games will be a tiny postage stamp in the middle of the screen.)

2. If you have a relatively modern video card, nvidia and AMD have options to use "GPU scaling" in their drivers. This means that the GPU always outputs to the monitor's native resolution and does the scaling itself, at a minor cost to performance.

Joe Biden: "But what about CGA compatibility mode?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I couldn't find those options anywhere in either my dell monitor's display options or my nvidia video card settings and had to resort to just telling the monitor to display everything in 4:3. Grandpa solutions for grandpa problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Klyith posted:

The usual culprit for insane disk usage after a windows update is windows search. #1 thing to try is this:

Settings -> type "search" in the find box, choose "Windows Search Settings" -> scroll down, pick Advanced Search Indexer Settings -> click Advanced -> click button for delete and Rebuild index

(The other frequent thing is a antivirus full scan, but that should be done by now. Unless this is a laptop that is closed / suspended any time you're not actively using it. In that case, leave it alone -- turned on & plugged in -- for a couple hours.)

I've never had search so this but update leaves dozens of gigs of crap lying around on the regular.