Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Congratulations on being back to 1FA I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Congratulations on being back to 1FA I guess

How is that any different from using Authy where the second factor is in an adjacent Chrome extension?

If an attacker bypasses the security around 1Password then they have the same tools they'd need to do so on any other app. 2FA protects against someone not on your device that has your login credentials but not the second factor. They aren't going to get the credentials from my 1PW vault.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 16, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crosspost from Android OS thread

Hope you all didn't like Duo or get your family members on it.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/15/google-duo-may-eventually-be-phased-out-in-favor-of-google-meet/

Google literally is the little kid trying to copy their older siblings. Rumor is they're doing this because people seem to like Zoom.

They're wrong. No one likes Zoom. People use Zoom because Zoom jumped on the "everyone at home" bandwagon and celebs promote it on TV daily. Meanwhile, it's a broken security, bug-ridden shitpile.

With how Google loves to kill things, this is probably 100% true even if they claim it's not in an official blog post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I didn't love Duo, but I got my luddite mother to learn how to use it and I don't wanna teach her something new ugh.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Will there ever be a point where Google figures out that no one is interested in any of their new products anymore because they never stick with any of them and constantly replace them with less developed new apps every few years?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, I'm doing my part of not using new Google products because there's a good chance they will replace them in a few years! Whenever they replace some product of theirs, I go looking for a 3rd party alternative.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

They aren't going to get the credentials from my 1PW vault.

They might. No software is perfect and password managers (and in particular the associated extensions that make them so convenient) are hardly an exception.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Does Meet have the same video quality as Duo? The big draw to Duo when it came out was that the video quality was so much better than Hangouts or Skype or whatever else was out at that time.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

dissss posted:

They might. No software is perfect and password managers (and in particular the associated extensions that make them so convenient) are hardly an exception.

I think that's just the risk you have to take if you're going to use a password locker.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

I think that's just the risk you have to take if you're going to use a password locker.

One which is easily worked around by storing your 2fa codes outside of the password manager.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

LastInLine posted:

How is that any different from using Authy where the second factor is in an adjacent Chrome extension?

Yep, skip that Chrome extension and just have it on your mobile devices.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
99% of my GPM listening is 'shuffle my thumbs-up playlist' - so rather than mess around with the original files I downloaded the playlist contents from GPM, re-uploaded the MP3s to a folder in Google Drive, and used up some survey money on CloudPlayer for my phone. Works a treat so far: it pre-caches the tags and artwork, it supports offline copies of albums/playlists/whatever, and it integrates with Android Auto as well. Solid recommendation.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

spincube posted:

99% of my GPM listening is 'shuffle my thumbs-up playlist' - so rather than mess around with the original files I downloaded the playlist contents from GPM, re-uploaded the MP3s to a folder in Google Drive, and used up some survey money on CloudPlayer for my phone. Works a treat so far: it pre-caches the tags and artwork, it supports offline copies of albums/playlists/whatever, and it integrates with Android Auto as well. Solid recommendation.

Oh man, DoubleTwist makes it--that's a blast from the past!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LastInLine posted:

If an attacker bypasses the security around 1Password then they have the same tools they'd need to do so on any other app. 2FA protects against someone not on your device that has your login credentials but not the second factor. They aren't going to get the credentials from my 1PW vault.

Authy had a windows app that runs independently of chrome

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Celexi posted:

Authy had a windows app that runs independently of chrome

Authy only has a windows app. The Chrome app is deprecated (though it does still work).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does Meet have the same video quality as Duo? The big draw to Duo when it came out was that the video quality was so much better than Hangouts or Skype or whatever else was out at that time.

I've been using meet all along with a goodish 8mp camera on my tablet and it looks fab.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

spincube posted:

Sounds like a good idea. I've got unlimited Google Drive and 1TB on OneDrive so could store my music on either then access it through that. Thanks for the idea!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Is anyone else having issues with Google Drive right now? None of my uploads from the app are going through and my desktop folders aren't refreshing either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Cardiovorax posted:

Is anyone else having issues with Google Drive right now? None of my uploads from the app are going through and my desktop folders aren't refreshing either.

Yeah: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/20/massive-google-server-issues-are-affecting-gmail-drive-docs-meet-chat-and-voice/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Thank you, I googled for current issues but I couldn't find anything somehow. I was starting to worry something had broken in my phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google seems to always manage to disrupt all their services in the lead-up to a new Android release.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey thread, I started using Syncthing a few months ago to my home server with great success, avoiding needing cloud services for file storage. I realized I could use this to share things with my girlfriend, but I need to make it super easy for her.

I can use Solid Explorer to create a folder shortcut on the home screen, but I'm looking for a way to add a specific folder to the "Share To" menu. I can share to Solid Explorer or to Syncthing, but in both cases you then have to specify which folder/share you're dropping into, and like I said, I need to make this easy. i want her to be able to just pick my name from the "Share To" list and have it copy the object to the prespecified folder. Does anyone know of a way to do this? I tried searching around, but no matter how I arranged my terms I just got various cloud sharing apps and other things, nothing that says it can add a folder to the "Share To" list.

Also if possible, I'd like to get a notification on my phone whenever a new file shows up in that shared folder, does anyone know of anything to do that?

And just to contribute, I've been using the app CalendarSync to create and manage calendars syncing to simple .ics files shared via syncthing, and it's been working beautifully without having to put any calendar data in the cloud. I've also been using Todo.txt (for the app) and SimpleTask (for the widget) along side a simple shared todo.txt file to keep track of lists of things; notes, shopping, etc. It works just fine for all kinds of lists besides just 'todo'. Private flat file, no cloud, exactly what I need. I've also been using this Powershell script for Outlook to export my calendar to another .ics, also synced. Only problem is it has to be done manually due to Outlook's security prompt; but it works wonderfully.

I am deeply, deeply in love with Syncthing.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Cardiovorax posted:

I always use this G Suite Status Dashboard to check if it's on my end or at Google when there are issues.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Did someone post recently about YT Music and their car? 2016 Honda Fit displays artist, song, and album just fine if I'm using GPM or literally anything else, YT Music can't display info 😑 Guessing there's nothing to do to fix that besides use something else? edit: and also YT Music on iPhone actually shows info just fine lol

e: ok I can change Bluetooth settings in developer settings from 1.4 to 1.3 and that might help? Any downside? Any reason YT Music is the only app that hosed up?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2020

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Titles in my 2015 CRV just suddenly started working today in YTM. Maybe an update has gone out?

It was weird that it's worked fine in Books this whole time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Using Solid Explorer to copy some stuff to my phone via wi-fi. I can't make it work at all. Creating an user does nothing (using my windows 10 file explorer to log in and so) while using Asus file manager works without issues for this while using a internet tab. Am I missing some option on Solid Explorer? I kind of want to use the FTP way to move files but it keeps telling that I don't have permission despite making the login as adming with the ftp://admin thing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Anyone have recommendations for a habit-tracker like app?

Since lockdown started I've been participating in a report-daily thing that pops up a notification every day around lunchtime and I've found it a really effective way of making sure I do it every day.

I'd like something similar for other things I ought to be doing regularly. I've been using Grow but it doesn't quite do everything I'm looking for, specifally:
  • set multiple 'habits'
  • be able to set reminders for multiple times in one day or reminders every other day
  • get notifications/alerts as reminders

Grow lets you do all that except set a reminder every other day. You have to select which days of the week you want reminders.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

nexus6 posted:

Grow lets you do all that except set a reminder every other day. You have to select which days of the week you want reminders.

Make two sets of identical reminders, one M-W-F-Sun and the other T-Th-Sat and make a weekly reminder to turn one off and the other on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Make two sets of identical reminders, one M-W-F-Sun and the other T-Th-Sat and make a weekly reminder to turn one off and the other on.

I'm getting vibes of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Not from anyone here, just the potential of the conversation.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, nah.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

nexus6 posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a habit-tracker like app?

Since lockdown started I've been participating in a report-daily thing that pops up a notification every day around lunchtime and I've found it a really effective way of making sure I do it every day.

I'd like something similar for other things I ought to be doing regularly. I've been using Grow but it doesn't quite do everything I'm looking for, specifally:
  • set multiple 'habits'
  • be able to set reminders for multiple times in one day or reminders every other day
  • get notifications/alerts as reminders

Oh man, I really like that app, but I don't like that you can't set up something without attaching a reminder to it. My schedule swaps around so much that I would be changing the reminder times almost daily and I am way too lazy for that. I've been using this app but it doesn't let you do the every other day reminder that you were wanting. But if anyone has any other habit trackers to recommend, I'd be interested in them. The one I have does everything I need, but it's really bland to look at.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Do any of those do an adaptive reminder, for example I want to replace a filter every 30 days but I'm lazy and don't do it until day 35. A normal app would remind me 25 days later, too early, so I'm looking for a reminder that doesn't reset until you mark it done. The filter is just one example, I would use a timer like that for lots of things.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I'm thinking Google calendar reminders tbh

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

nexus6 posted:

I'm thinking Google calendar reminders tbh

The trouble with those is that you only get one shot to deal with the task. If you ignore a reminder, or can't get to it at the moment it occurs, you just have to remember or you have to manage the notification itself. It's also difficult to manage once you have a few recurring reminders.

I'm not a reminder guy, but I have one recurring reminder that I use in Calendar (which are distinct from other Google reminders) and the system feels fragile for just that one, I can't imagine trying to do anything more with it.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.
Habits is good for this. You can set up recurring reminder notifications that aren't swipeable and don't go away until you press Yes, you've done it (or No).

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Uthor posted:

I'm getting vibes of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eECjjLNAOd4

Not from anyone here, just the potential of the conversation.

Never would have guessed that there'd ever be a Jon Bois video in an Android thread lol

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I just got the email that Google Play Music is dying :(

For all its flaws, I liked it. I never used their music discovery / streaming, I am 100% a play my own library kinda guy, but my library is a little too big to fit on the phone, so I really appreciated the ability to pick some albums to download copies of, while keeping the rest of the library streaming.

I transferred my library to Youtube Music, google's official replacement, and it sucks rear end. It takes like 10 presses to navigate to an album in my own library and play it. When I search anything, it defaults to their public repo of music rather than my library. When I pick an artist in my library it displays an alphabetical list of their songs instead of a list of albums :psyduck: so to pick an album I have to actually go to the alphabetical list of all albums and find it. It only loads like 20 items to scroll through at a time so I have to scroll to the Bs in my library before it loads more, so there's no way to scroll quickly to the later alphabet. In its basic functionality it does what Google Play Music did (i.e. yes I can stream my own library, yes I can download some albums for offline use), but its usability is loving awful. /rant

Any good recommended replacements that let you stream your own library, as well as download some albums for offline playing?

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 24, 2020

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

alnilam posted:

I just got the email that Google Play Music is dying :(

For all its flaws, I liked it. I never used their music discovery / streaming, I am 100% a play my own library kinda guy, but my library is a little too big to fit on the phone, so I really appreciated the ability to pick some albums to download copies of, while keeping the rest of the library streaming.

I transferred my library to Youtube Music, google's official replacement, and it sucks rear end. It takes like 10 presses to navigate to an album in my own library and play it. When I search anything, it defaults to their public repo of music rather than my library. When I pick an artist in my library it displays an alphabetical list of their songs instead of a list of albums :psyduck: so to pick an album I have to actually go to the alphabetical list of all albums and find it. It only loads like 20 items to scroll through at a time so I have to scroll to the Bs in my library before it loads more, so there's no way to scroll quickly to the later alphabet. In its basic functionality it does what Google Play Music did (i.e. yes I can stream my own library, yes I can download some albums for offline use), but its usability is loving awful. /rant

Any good recommended replacements that let you stream your own library, as well as download some albums for offline playing?

This one works for me.

spincube posted:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

This one works for me.

This seems cool. It would require me paying for a Google Drive upgrade but it might be time for that anyway. Still open to other suggestions.

Also, is there an easy way to view which GPM albums I bought through GPM, so I can download those ones? The rest is all stuff I uploaded from my own mp3 library, which is already pretty well organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

alnilam posted:

Also, is there an easy way to view which GPM albums I bought through GPM, so I can download those ones? The rest is all stuff I uploaded from my own mp3 library, which is already pretty well organized.

There's a "free and purchased" auto playlist.