Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I just received my 45mm GWatch3 to replace my 46mm GWatch1. This might have been a dumb move (TBD).

First impression: it's noticeably lighter and much better looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My GWatch Active2 has been draining its battery overnight and shutting off, usually after it gets down to 40-60%. Before about 2 weeks ago, it would reliably lose about 20%-22% every 24 hours - usually only about 6-7% overnight. I could go to work with it at 20% and it would still have some charge left when I got home to put it on the charger.

Is there any way to dig deeper into what's causing this? Or should I just try a reset? The battery info screen doesn't show any apps using like 50% battery or anything, the most being Samsung Heath recently at 17%. I have a navigation companion app that listens for Google Maps nav constantly but that shows like 1% usage. The watch is in do not disturb mode overnight as I take it off in the house usually.

E; did a reset, and installed a few less things than before. We'll see how it works out.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 22, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

seravid posted:

This might have been a dumb move (TBD).
In what way?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I don't usually buy the new model (of anything) just as it comes out, so there's a nagging feeling I can't shake that I should've waited, especially considering my two-year-old GWatch is still working perfectly fine and how similar they are in specs.

Ignoring that, I'm very pleased with the GW3 so far. As someone who likes mechanical watches, it's a massive upgrade over the GW1. Even with a Ringke bezel ring and a gapless steel bracelet, it was always just a little too gadget-y. Shame Samsung still haven't figured out how to properly integrate a black bezel ring with a silver case but, with the right bracelets, the all-black version I purchased will suit me just fine.

Some initial comparisons:

- The larger display is very nice and seems brighter under artificial light. Need to test in sunlight.
- The vibration motor's minimum setting is close to useless now. Was fine on the GWatch1. The max setting is stronger than I'd like.
- O2 saturation measurement is... there. Not sure how useful it is in this context, really.
- VO2Max, on the other hand, is useful to me, but I haven't had the chance to go for a run yet. Also curious about the advanced stats like asymmetry, though I'm very skeptic about their accuracy.
- No ECG or blood pressure here in Europe, AFAIK. Best not to get one's hopes up, I guess...?
- HR sensor is still crap, no surprise there. Polar chest strap + Gear Tracker still work, so I don't care.
- Battery is depleting fast, but hopefully that's due to messing with the watch more than usual.
- The new bezel ring is great. Tighter than the old one, yet still useable with just one finger. No idea how anyone can use a smartwatch without one of these.
- The top button produces a very satisfying metallic clicky sound when you push it. That and the general finish really sell you on the idea that this is a watch and a nice one at that. Slightly ruined by the fact that the bottom button just clicks boringly like any old button.

Also, not directly related to the watch but I've lost a few of my favorite watchfaces with the switch. They're gone from the store for some reason and, while I can still check the receipts and even install the faces on the GW1, they're nowhere to be found on the new one.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Can I get suggestions for an Android smart watch? I've been out of that market for a LONG time and my GF wants to buy one. Help me goons you're my only hope!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can I get suggestions for an Android smart watch? I've been out of that market for a LONG time and my GF wants to buy one. Help me goons you're my only hope!

The android Wear thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074) is probably better for this, but my understanding is essentially "no, but we're still hoping something new will come out"?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I got a Misfit Vapor X a week or so ago on fire sale for $40. A 4th gen Fossil Sport is $99 right now, and it's probably fine for that price. They're not going to be really fast and the battery is going to last just a day, but if you have android and want a watch that handles/responds to notifications well and can be used for exercising, there's nothing better for the price. It'll seem like an absolutely laggy piece of poo poo with a battery that drains 1% per minute when it's installing apps and syncing and you're setting it up the first time, but give it a few hours and it'll settle into "kinda slow and battery is fine" lol. I don't get enough out of a smartwatch to justify the $200+ for one of the Samsung ones but do want to be able to use it for more than a dedicated GPS or Fitbit, so WearOS it is for me.

You absolutely shouldn't be paying sticker price for one, though, and most of them are functionally identical, so just wait for a fire sale and grab one.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Instinct Solar. We have two people here who love theirs.

Garmin is platform agnostic so!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

iospace posted:

Seconded, of course!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The new fitbits are officially announced, there's an incrementally improved Inspire, incrementally improved Versa with Google Assistant now, and a new Versa variant with more sensors

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/fitbits-3-new-trackers-want-to-destress-you-and-eventually-diagnose-you/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Do they have reliable Bluetooth yet? :thunk:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

repiv posted:

The new fitbits are officially announced, there's an incrementally improved Inspire, incrementally improved Versa with Google Assistant now, and a new Versa variant with more sensors

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/fitbits-3-new-trackers-want-to-destress-you-and-eventually-diagnose-you/

Those look nice. I still think fitbits are poor quality, but they do look nice and I would be happy to be proven wrong.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looking at the Fitbit forums there's still endless complaints about the band gap on the Charge 4 after it's been out for 6 months, with people getting multiple replacements with the same problem, so I don't have my hopes up for QC being improved :v:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

quote:

AMAZON ANNOUNCES HALO, A FITNESS BAND AND APP THAT SCANS YOUR BODY AND VOICE
It makes a 3D model of your body and tracks the emotional tone in your voice
The microphone on the Amazon Halo band isn’t meant for voice commands; instead it listens to your voice and reports back on what it believes your emotional state was throughout the day. If you don’t opt in, the microphone on the Band doesn’t do anything at all.

Can't wait to send Amazon nudes and have it track my emotional state.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If that's some AI guided bodyfat estimator, it's sure something innovative. If it works correctly, anyway.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
it's just extremely misleading advertising. they're selling a service with a data collecting band attached. the body scan has zero to do with the device and the mic is just a regular mic that's Amazon levels of invasive

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Can you just skip the middleman and send Jeff your pics?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The only company I'd be even less likely to buy a wearable from is facebook.

Reading the thread I guess I did the right thing by procrastinating on buying a versa2

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

iospace posted:

Does the instinct do topographic maps while on an activity like the Fenix 6 does? I would really like to use it for hiking and backpacking but it looks like it might only do breadcrumb trails which would make it significantly less useful.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does the instinct do topographic maps while on an activity like the Fenix 6 does? I would really like to use it for hiking and backpacking but it looks like it might only do breadcrumb trails which would make it significantly less useful.

Not that I have found. Its screen is too basic for that. That said, it will sync your location/track with the Garmin Explore app, which has full colour offline topographic maps, and I actually think works better.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not that I have found. Its screen is too basic for that. That said, it will sync your location/track with the Garmin Explore app, which has full colour offline topographic maps, and I actually think works better.

My hope was to avoid taking out my phone while I'm out hiking since using that to navigate through the trails drains it pretty quickly. Using a watch that can more or less top itself off with solar for my navigation while out hiking would dramatically improve my phone's battery life since I would use the phone significantly less.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

My hope was to avoid taking out my phone while I'm out hiking since using that to navigate through the trails drains it pretty quickly. Using a watch that can more or less top itself off with solar for my navigation while out hiking would dramatically improve my phone's battery life since I would use the phone significantly less.

I definitely get that, I tend to have my phone only out when I'm checking position when I'm hiking, as opposed to regularly. Maybe once an hour? Not sure if that works for you. You definitely don't have the high res screen on this watch with the topographical maps that other more expensive Garmin watches can do, unfortunately.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does the pulseox on the Instinct Solar give better data for sleep tracking at all? I don't care so much about the solar part, but pulseox is the other significant difference between the standard Instinct and the Solar (and Instinct is half the price).

Sleep tracking also seemed to be something people did say was not great on the Instincts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It seems fine?

Compared to Fitbit:
- It's not as prone to saying you were awake for an hour+ every night, so it feels more accurate there.
- actually shows you the pulse ox numbers as opposed to the derivative graph.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Does anyone have a big picture summary for wearables in 2020 and what you get for different price points. I'm not even sure what are reliable features in wearables let alone the ones I want. I *think* I want HR and Sleep tracking, maybe being able to go for a run w/o my phone, and... I think that's it? I'm not sure, tbh. I think this means I want a Mi Band 5 ($40?) or like a $200 Garmin (??), but I'm not sure. Also Fitbit? Do I want a Fitbit? There's the Inspire 2 that costs $100 but also has a $70 yearly service? Why would I want that?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

seravid posted:

I just received my 45mm GWatch3 to replace my 46mm GWatch1. This might have been a dumb move (TBD).

First impression: it's noticeably lighter and much better looking.

Very much same, including the ringke and bracelet. I think the best reason I had for swapping is that it was getting a little dinged and best to swap it up (free duo charger woo) no questions asked while I still could. I like the leather strap and will probably keep it on unless I need it be fancy.

Strava gone (for now?) but gear tracker is better anyway. ESim would be great but my service doesn't support :( Smaller battery is fine as long as wifi scanning is off.

If they'd reinvigorated the Tizen store it would have done them wonders. But really I just want audible.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Some kind of audiobook app would be great, yeah. Tapping on the buds works, but the watch would be a much better platform to control playback.

I've picked up the sleep tracking gimmick again, so I have to charge the watch everyday. Otherwise, I do believe it would last two workdays (barely). For comparison, the GW1 lasts two days with 20% to spare.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think this is the right thread for this, but let me know if I'm wrong about that.

I have a Samsung Gear S3 and I think it's hosed. I've had it maybe two years and I noticed a couple of weeks ago that there was a hairline fracture in the glass on the back. The pulse sensor wasn't working very well. I figured, OK as long as that's all that doesn't work, I'm OK with it. I wear the watch constantly but mainly use it for running and biking.

Sunday the battery started draining really badly. It's done this before but I chalked it up to signal searching or something. But this time it went from 100% to 0% in about two hours (normally at the end of the day it's at 60%, and I charge it every night). I charged it the rest of the day, to 100%.

Yesterday (Monday) I left it on the charger until I went on a bike ride, and it died after two hours. Brought it home and now it won't even charge - either the charger light flashes red, or there's a red triangle on the watch (looks like a high temp warning to me).

Sounds to me like it's hosed somehow, but can you guys confirm that it really is hosed?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats a good sensibly priced Samsung watch now? I'm on the fence as I cant say how disappointed I am with this S20 but whatever, my current watch is about to die I think.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

codo27 posted:

Whats a good sensibly priced Samsung watch now? I'm on the fence as I cant say how disappointed I am with this S20 but whatever, my current watch is about to die I think.

Assuming you like the look, Active Watch 2 supposedly has all the same sensors and will get the Galaxy Watch 3 features here soon, that would be my recommendation.

Galaxy Watch 3 has started see some discounts already but still seems overpriced.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 got OS update to Tizen 5.5 and the ECG feature unlocked finally in the US:

https://www.sammobile.com/news/updates-ecg-galaxy-watch-3-usa-tizen-5-5-active-2/

Also:

VO2max readings, advanced running analysis, the long-awaited Fall Detection feature, better notifications, and AR Emoji/Bitmoji support.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Maneki Neko posted:

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 got OS update to Tizen 5.5 and the ECG feature unlocked finally in the US:

https://www.sammobile.com/news/updates-ecg-galaxy-watch-3-usa-tizen-5-5-active-2/

Also:

VO2max readings, advanced running analysis, the long-awaited Fall Detection feature, better notifications, and AR Emoji/Bitmoji support.

Does this require an update of the watch? I'm not seeing the ability to do this on mine.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does this require an update of the watch? I'm not seeing the ability to do this on mine.

Yes, there's a big software update on the watch and a new Samsung Health Monitor app on both watch/phone for the ECG piece. It's also limited to Samsung phones for some reason.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 24, 2020

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Does anyone know why my fitbit blaze has never showed steps on this clock face?

It counts them and displays them correctly in the menu and on my galaxy s9, just never on the main face likes it's supposed to. (Yeah first world problems I know).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Neglected to grant access to that function? Check apps-permissions

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Fossil is having a flash sale that includes several of their hybrid watches.
https://www.fossil.com/en-us/flash-sale/

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a GPS/Sports watch that has LTE or some other cellular radio built in? I have a Garmin watch right now that is great but I'd love something that lets me send an emergency call or text while I'm out running. I don't need the extra features of Apple Watch or the Android equivalent since I work at home and have my phone in front of me all the time, and my phone is huge and a pain in the rear end to run with.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Semi-Protato posted:

Is there a GPS/Sports watch that has LTE or some other cellular radio built in? I have a Garmin watch right now that is great but I'd love something that lets me send an emergency call or text while I'm out running. I don't need the extra features of Apple Watch or the Android equivalent since I work at home and have my phone in front of me all the time, and my phone is huge and a pain in the rear end to run with.

There’s a version of the Vivoactive 3 that has LTE: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/602063

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vivoactive 4 on sale, boasting week long battery, something I miss from my old Pebble. Should I jump on it? How does it handle notifications and responses compared to WearOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Instinct (not solar) also on sale $150 from Amazon, I couldn't resist.