Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I remember Realmz. I mostly remember spamming Festering Wounds being a solution for most combats for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Item Getter posted:

Not really related to games, but anyone else remember MacAddict CDs and their surprisingly great music?

Warning: very boring Internet Anecdote ahead.

My exact username comes from my nick on the MacAddict Forums in the late 90s.
On that ancient version of BB software you didn't need to register, you could post unregistered and even choose a nick to apply to your posts.
But for some reason people would get annoyed at unregistered regulars and so would sign up an account with that name so you couldn't post unregistered with it anymore.
So I had to finally register an account and also had to add the ~ to get a unique nick.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Fool's Errand was an amazing game and I'd play the Wheel of Fortune card game all the time as a kid.

I've got a game I'm thinking of but google is no help. It was a fighting game creator where you uploaded individual sprites; iirc the base game had a horribly photoshopped four-armed guy/someone who was clearly just cropped black and white photos of the the dev? Any ideas?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Realmz started out as a pretty cool D&D knockoff and then got increasingly bloated and weird with updates over the years.
I can't really remember what it was like when I stopped playing, just that I preferred it to Exile, I think because the Spiderweb rpgs were all really ugly (not that Realmz was much of a looker)

Dirt Bike 1/2/3/3d - basically Trials. I spent a *ton* of time playing these, although the 3d version wasn't great
Snood - basically Puzzle Bobble, insanely ugly but also insanely addictive
Damage Incorporated - a 2.5d game that came out once the world had moved on but was still quite fun
Spectre Supreme/VR - seem to remember people raving about this, especially my brother who got a Mac when I was still using an amiga, but I never really enjoyed it that much.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

toiletbrush posted:

Damage Incorporated - a 2.5d game that came out once the world had moved on but was still quite fun
This one's fascinating - sort of a proto-Rainbow Six in the Marathon engine with some simple squad management. It also has an extremely 2019/2020 storyline in which your ragtag platoon of brimstone preachers, John Wayne impersonators, psychotic metalheads and videogame addicts hunt down and annihilate white supremacists, freeman militias and other such right-wing domestic terror groups. There was also a Windows 95 port, but you'll almost certainly want a Virtual Machine for that, anyway. The developer went on to design and write both of The Suffering games and recently put out The Church In The Darkness.

Another interesting Marathon-descended game is Prime Target, a sort of Metroidvania-y 80s action movie take on the Marathon style where you wander between the office buildings, museums and Capitol Building of Washington DC, fending off besuited thugs and the occasional ninja while trying to piece together the clues to solve a murder mystery.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Damage Inc has some interesting team features, like certain members will have mental health crises or refuse to fight some groups.

I didn’t know they did a Windows port. I wonder if it’s too modified for Aleph One still.

https://youtu.be/8WYeOf0POQw

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

It also has an extremely 2019/2020 storyline in which your ragtag platoon of brimstone preachers, John Wayne impersonators, psychotic metalheads and videogame addicts hunt down and annihilate white supremacists, freeman militias and other such right-wing domestic terror groups.

... Night Dive remaster loving when

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
My uncle just gave me his old Apple IIe and a binder full of pirated games. The floppy drives sound like they need a bit of TLC, and the video output only works if the cable is held in place at an upward angle, but otherwise it's working great.

Unfortunately I only had time tonight to set it up and test. If tomorrow wasn't the first day of classes for the school I work at, I'd definitely be staying up all night playing these.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The composite video jack probably just needs to be soldered back together. It’s really common for them to break on Apple IIs.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Hunter Noventa posted:

I remember Realmz. I mostly remember spamming Festering Wounds being a solution for most combats for a while.
Yeah that one was nasty because it kept hitting every turn, but most of the magic classes run into the problem of things being immune to their good spells, or even reflecting them. I think there are some things where size is accounted for in weapon damage which wound up making axes the best for anything difficult because it did a ton of extra damage to large enemies. They also added a "pixie" race at one point which was tended to be flimsy and weak but extremely easy to roll a 3/2 or even 2/1 turn rate archer on their initial stats, which was hilarious (but eventually outpaced by basically any other race that eventually built up turn rate).

You can get it on Windows too now, but a big problem with it is none of the spell effects use a proper frame rate limiter, so you can't even see most of what's going on even remotely modern hardware... which is frustrating since the effects were, for the time, pretty good.

Can't help but wonder if some of it was lifted though, since as time went on, it seemed like various bits of artwork were getting swapped out with less-realistic substitutes.

toiletbrush posted:

Snood - basically Puzzle Bobble, insanely ugly but also insanely addictive
Also one of the first games to start bundling lovely adware. :negative:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The composite video jack probably just needs to be soldered back together. It’s really common for them to break on Apple IIs.

Luckily the problem was just as much with the 30 year old cable as it was the jack. Using a new cable it's only slightly flakey.

I made babbys first Apple II mod:

Cut the wire off a spare PC internal speaker and wired the ends to a 3.5mm jack so that I can connect external speakers to the motherboard beeper output and be able to control the volume.

I've also got ADTpro working so that I can write disk images to the 5.25 floppy drives from my PC through the IIe's SuperSerial card. I'm going to start with Number Munchers and the other MECC educational games/software. The blank Dysan floppies that I got with this still read and write like they're new.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 5, 2020

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

There was a game I played as a very young child on my dad's Macintosh Classic. It was a first-person perspective, with static screens as the main view. You could move north, south, east, and west, with menu commands. You could also swing your hand or feet or sword or something, and fight a mouse after cutting open bags of grain. Stuff like that.

One of the first screens I remember is a cave with a creature or statue or something that you could click on the mouth to open and close the mouth. You couldn't progress past it if the mouth was in the wrong state (I can't remember now which was which).

I remember one time I randomly encountered a game developer inside the game - a very rare occurrence since it only happened once. I remember killing the game dev and getting his credit card as an item, which was very bizarre.

I never beat the game and I'd very much like to revisit it if possible, but I have no idea what it was called. It's in the same era as Dark Castle, which I do remember the name of. So this would have been around the end of the '80s or 1990, somewhere around there.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Finding representative imagines is being difficult, but might it have been a World Builder game?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
There's a really good "help me identify this game" thread somewhere that has a pretty good success rate. I would also try in there, but where it is exactly escapes me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Baggot posted:

There was a game I played as a very young child on my dad's Macintosh Classic. It was a first-person perspective, with static screens as the main view. You could move north, south, east, and west, with menu commands. You could also swing your hand or feet or sword or something, and fight a mouse after cutting open bags of grain. Stuff like that.

One of the first screens I remember is a cave with a creature or statue or something that you could click on the mouth to open and close the mouth. You couldn't progress past it if the mouth was in the wrong state (I can't remember now which was which).

I remember one time I randomly encountered a game developer inside the game - a very rare occurrence since it only happened once. I remember killing the game dev and getting his credit card as an item, which was very bizarre.

I never beat the game and I'd very much like to revisit it if possible, but I have no idea what it was called. It's in the same era as Dark Castle, which I do remember the name of. So this would have been around the end of the '80s or 1990, somewhere around there.

Some Goon posted:

Finding representative imagines is being difficult, but might it have been a World Builder game?

Looks like it's Radical Castle. The gameplay video below has the statue with the mouth and fighting the programmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssndEwLFAIA

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looks like it's Radical Castle. The gameplay video below has the statue with the mouth and fighting the programmer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssndEwLFAIA

This is it!! Thank you so much!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So in middle school I remember getting shiny new iMac G3’s in our computer lab, which all had some sort of 3D insect game preloaded. Nobody got very far into it before getting caught by a teacher and sent back to whatever dumb word art project that was assigned to us.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Probably Bugdom, a fairly bad 3D platformer/collectathon.
The developers made a bunch of middling 3D titles that were mostly given away free with the purchase of a Macintosh of that era.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Coming soon to your pocket. :catstare:

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 18, 2020

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Glider Pro Android port is done: https://galeforcegames.itch.io/aerofoil

It looks like Ben Spees started a new company, got the rights to Harry the Handsome Executive and Ferazel's Wand back:
https://5elementsentertainment.com/harry_ferazel/

.... but the news is dated 2015 and the only thing that seems to have happened so far is Ferazel's Wand has a placeholder entry and placeholder site. :(

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

I'll try that "identify a game" thread when I find it too, but:

Can anyone help identify a game that looked somewhat like this? It was 2 player, so imagine this mirrored on the other side of the screen. The little guy in the lab coat with the bumps on his head is seated at a computer console or something. The gun/wheel thing on it moved around the big circular loop. The idea was to try to shoot at the other player's gun/wheel. You could get power ups/different weapons, one of which looked (as I recall) like a pile of cannonballs, that would show up around the circle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Movod II.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Amazing.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Holy poo poo, you’ve fulfilled years of curiosity. Thank you so much!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Thank you for making such a good sketch. You basically drew a screenshot of the thing from memory.

Here's a longplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5cd3yCUMM

I wish Tony Small would come back to games. We need a new Quagmire!

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
https://archive.org/search.php?query=Hypercard

Archive has a lot of hyper card stacks available on their in browser emulator

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Currently installing Tiger on a G5 for some classic mode goodness. I don't want to replace the thermal paste on this thing, please someone tell me not to...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

do it, then you won't have to do it again for awhile

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Some Goon posted:

Currently installing Tiger on a G5 for some classic mode goodness. I don't want to replace the thermal paste on this thing, please someone tell me not to...

iMac G5 or Power Mac G5? If the latter I don't know if you need to bother?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

~Coxy posted:

iMac G5 or Power Mac G5? If the latter I don't know if you need to bother?

Power Mac. Until I get an operating system on it I won't know what the temps act are, but the thing is 16 1/2 years old, the thermal paste on it is definitely past it's prime. (After the third failure I restarted the install without the printer drivers and fonts I overlooked initially, only for the tray to close suddenly while a disk was only halfway in and scratch it, and the replacement I burned wasn't recognized at all, so after ~5 hours of tinkering it's in exactly the same place it was before, grr).

E: and then it booted to the "please insert disk 2" prompt this morning so I tried the scratched disk one last time and it worked without an issue. I had forgotten how much of a pita doing anything with a computer used to be.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 27, 2020

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

You can boot from USB for installing an OS on Power Mac or iMac G3 G4 and G5: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/articles/115-how-to-boot-ppc-powermacs-g3-g4-g5-from-a-usb-stick-or-drive-

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I was aware you could but for whatever reason I thought it was difficult to get working. Bit moot now anyways.

Found a 20" Cinema display on Craigslist to go with it. Other than the polycarbonate being slightly proud of the body on one side and a couple small dings it's in fine shape. They look quite nice together and the sub-FHD resolution shouldn't matter at all for my uses. A little worried this is how you become a collector though. Maybe I'll clean up one of the early macintosh keyboards I grabbed an an estate sale this summer to go with it...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I feel like USB was always more finicky to boot off that Firewire for whatever reason. Of course obtaining FW hard drives is a bit hard now.

I was still using my pair of 20" ACDs on my Hackintosh until 2018! :woz:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

I hope this is appropriate for the thread as others have asked for help in identifying old games.

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I used to play on the mac's we had in our computer lab back in the mid 90's.

It was a static screen adventure game that was set in a castle (I think) I remember one of the early screens had a hall way that you pulled on a torch to open up a secret passage. I never really got very far in it as we never had much time to play games during the class. I have vague memories of picking up an apple that was done as the Apple logo, but outside of that, that's all I really remember. It was B&W I think too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Custard Undies posted:

I hope this is appropriate for the thread as others have asked for help in identifying old games.

I've been trying to remember the name of a game I used to play on the mac's we had in our computer lab back in the mid 90's.

It was a static screen adventure game that was set in a castle (I think) I remember one of the early screens had a hall way that you pulled on a torch to open up a secret passage. I never really got very far in it as we never had much time to play games during the class. I have vague memories of picking up an apple that was done as the Apple logo, but outside of that, that's all I really remember. It was B&W I think too.

The apple thing is definitely from Radical Castle.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Thuryl posted:

The apple thing is definitely from Radical Castle.

OMG! That's the one!

Thanks so much :)

Edit: Rather embarrassed that it was mentioned a few posts up and I dismissed it thinking that it didn't contain the text on the right hand side of the screen

Custard Undies fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 31, 2020

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009
Got sent here by the White Whale post in GBS - looking for a battlefield game where the armies are black and white stick figures. When the fight (you drag one onto the other) they start flashing madly. There's also chests with powerups you can drag a soldier to and I think the missions/battles you could choose had a star rating for difficulty?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This is a pure guess but I found Wyrm in MR:
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/3083-wyrm

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Whelp, the sound was off when running classic programs on my G5, so now I'm the proud owner of a pair of g3 iMacs, both of whom's harddrives are presumably on the way out. Given that the 1TB drive in the G5 is far far beyond anything I'll use, is there anything stopping me from chucking it in a firewire enclosure, putting a system 9 install on a separate partition, and booting the different computers from the partitions appropriate for them? I don't see why not, but I wasn't into computers when I was using classic Macs so I'm not familiar with any technical issues they may have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I was digging though some boxes in my garage and found some of my old disks. Doubt they still work since they've been in a rubbermaid tote for 20 years.

I actually beat Taskmaker, took a long time since I just brute forced my playthough. I know I bought the Gato and PT-109 games at MacWorld 1989 along with a bunch of shareware discs from BMUG. I actually fired up my PowerMac 6500 last year. Other than it being a bit slow and using an ancient version of Netscape everything still worked. Didn't try the install of YDL that I have on that drive though, probably for the best.

Wasted too much time playing this game, never beat it though.
https://archive.org/details/DungeonOfDoomRevealed