Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Brain Issues posted:

I have an SHR-2 (Essentially RAID6) with 8 Drives of varying size up to 14TB --- 72TB of raw space total. Maybe my expectations are just too high for speed, I don't know. It literally took 3 weeks to rebuild the last time I added a drive.

If one of those was still an SMR drive then that's probably why. A RAID rebuild/resliver is the perfect storm of everything SMR drives are worst at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztTf2gI55k&t=375s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
HGST seems to be dead as a brand but are Ultrastars still a good pick for home mass storage of photos and videos?

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I have a question regarding my Synology DS920+ NAS, specifically whether the WD Gold 18TB I put in the unit is dead or just incompatible.

For background, I purchased the NAS a few weeks ago and initially installed a Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16TB (Drive Bay 1) along with an additional 4GB of (Synology) RAM, for 8GB total, and have had no real issues to speak of. As the Ironwolf Pro is just about full, I wanted to expand and purchased the WD Gold 18TB (WG181KRYZ-01AGBB0) directly from WD, which came packaged in an anti-static bag within a cardboard box with plastic braces.

I installed the drive into Drive Bay 2 and was unable to initialize the drive, leaving the drive inserted for at least ten minutes at a time, usually longer. I observed that the NAS did throw five errors at various points, "Trying to re-identify disk", and not every time I inserted the drive but about 1/3 of the time. I was not given any ability or opportunity to perform any kind of diagnostics or repair functions on this disk in any of the NAS' utilities. I attempted to install the drive in the other two bays, as well as even booted up the unit with the Ironwolf Pro pulled and the WD Gold in Drive Bay 1, which seemed to work at first as I got as far as attempting to install DSM onto the new disk, but the drive failed to initialize and no installation could be performed. During this process the WD Gold was completely silent and had zero vibration. During the other attempts to install the drive the vibration and noise from the Ironwolf Pro made it prohibitively difficult to tell whether the WD Gold spun up at all.

I went as far as opening an RMA ticket with WD for the drive when I remembered the PIN3/"power disable feature" issue and some page I found through Google research from back when 12TB drives were the highest available capacity indicated that "future" enterprise-type drives will likely have this issue.

What I can't figure out is if the WD Gold 18TB is subject to the PIN3 issue and whether or not the DS920+ will have problems with drives with said issue. I have found posts indicating that users of the DS918+ can use drives with the power disable feature without problems but nothing on the DS920+. One would assume that the DS920+ would have that same capability, but when you remember that Synology decided to solder one of the RAM banks onto the DS920+, I guess one really can't assume anything.

The only thing that gives me pause is there have been at least two occasions, separate from when the NAS threw the "Trying to re-identify disk" errors, that I briefly observed the drive bay indicator lights on the NAS light up on the drive bays the WD Gold had been inserted into at the time (bays 2 and 3, if I recall correctly), but in each case the lights turned back off after a few seconds. So I suspect the NAS could at least intermittently detect the WD Gold and was able to negotiate with it in some way which I assume would require power being accepted by the drive. [I am not informed enough to know if the PIN3 issue still allows affected drives to "power up" but merely prohibit the platters from spinning up.] The fact that any errors are thrown at all, plus the fact that the errors don't happen every time the drive is inserted, both additionally point me toward thinking the drive is defective or damaged.

I am leaning towards sending the disk back to WD for a replacement to see if I have better luck with a second disk, but I am hoping someone here can lend me some knowledge or wisdom if they have personal experience with some aspect of this setup (whether the WD Gold 18TB has the PIN3 issue or if the DS920+ has issues with such drives) or just an educated guess that's better than what I can come up with. I have thirty days to send the drive back if that's the route I go, and am open to attempting the Kapton tape method if the symptoms I am providing aren't overwhelmingly indicative of a defective or damaged drive, but if the thread is convinced there is no point (conclusive knowledge that a DS920+ has no issues with drives subject to PIN3 issues, or that the WD Gold 18TB has no PIN3 issues) I'd rather just get the exchange moving.

Sorry for making you all read all that, and thank you for any advice anyone can give.

[PS. If it helps, I'll add that I only know of the drive as a "WG181KRYZ" from when I ordered it and looked at the drive's exterior. I got the "-01AGBB0" suffix from the NAS' "Logs" tab in the "HDD/SSD" section of Storage Manager, which also correctly identifies the drive's serial number. These entries coincide with the aforementioned "Trying to re-identify disk" errors as well as two "Drive plugged in" and "Drive plugged out" entries. There are also four additional "Drive plugged out" entries which do not correspond with any "Drive plugged in" entries, and none of these entries include an associated "Drive Model" or serial number. All but one of the "plugged"-related entries report the associated "Position" as being "Drive 2", with one "plugged out" entry associated with "Drive 4".]

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So an external drive which I used for backup has died after like 10 years of usage and I'm looking to buy a NAS and store stuff that way. I don't think I need anything too fancy, I'm only storing some MP3s, movies and some installs; so I think something capable of just doing a RAID1 of 2x 4TB drives should be plenty for a long time (I had ~1TB of backed up poo poo on two external drives). I wouldn't mind if the NAS was quiet when not in use. Any models+HDDs I should be looking at?

Also I don't know how viable it is to have a plex server (or something else to send 1-2 FullHD streams with separate subtitles to a phone) on a basic Synology machine - is it feasible, or do you need something more dedicated?

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

mmkay posted:

So an external drive which I used for backup has died after like 10 years of usage and I'm looking to buy a NAS and store stuff that way. I don't think I need anything too fancy, I'm only storing some MP3s, movies and some installs; so I think something capable of just doing a RAID1 of 2x 4TB drives should be plenty for a long time (I had ~1TB of backed up poo poo on two external drives). I wouldn't mind if the NAS was quiet when not in use. Any models+HDDs I should be looking at?

Also I don't know how viable it is to have a plex server (or something else to send 1-2 FullHD streams with separate subtitles to a phone) on a basic Synology machine - is it feasible, or do you need something more dedicated?

The biggest problem with going smaller is SMR is rampant at small drive sizes and SMR is pretty bad for RAID. For shuckables (which is a much cheaper way of getting CMR drives), the smallest safe drive is the 8TB Elements/Easystore.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Buff Hardback posted:

The biggest problem with going smaller is SMR is rampant at small drive sizes and SMR is pretty bad for RAID. For shuckables (which is a much cheaper way of getting CMR drives), the smallest safe drive is the 8TB Elements/Easystore.

If you're just doing a mirrored RAID-1 I wouldn't see how a SMR would be any worse than it would be as a single disk, which is to say fine if you're mostly just writing to it once and then reading it back a bunch, and not so great if you're doing a lot deleting / overwriting files or shove it 90% full.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

DrDork posted:

If you're just doing a mirrored RAID-1 I wouldn't see how a SMR would be any worse than it would be as a single disk, which is to say fine if you're mostly just writing to it once and then reading it back a bunch, and not so great if you're doing a lot deleting / overwriting files or shove it 90% full.

That is a very good point, but if you ever wanted to expand down the line those drives would basically be useless.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Buff Hardback posted:

That is a very good point, but if you ever wanted to expand down the line those drives would basically be useless.

True, but in a 2-bay you'd be replacing both disks anyhow.

Still, it looks like 4TB WD Reds are ~$100 while 8TB shuckables are ~$150, so the extra $100 to double your space and skip the whole SMR issue entirely might be worth it. Though with only ~2TB used I'd think that would depend heavily on how much file growth is expected in the next 2-3 years.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Are the 4-bay qnap units decent quality or is it worth it to spend the extra for a similar Synology unit? I was looking at the Synology DS920+ for now. This would be for basic storage and occasional streaming on a local network.

I'm not against building a unit from scratch I am just lazy but if the advantages for building one are significantly better I would be interested in hearing similar suggestions.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Both QNAP and Synology are solid. Pick the features you need, and choose the one that fits best.

Or join the insanity and build your own! I started with a D-Link DNS-323 with 2x 1TB drives, and now I've got two Lenovo towers with 8 drives apiece. 115TB or so. Still got the D-Link, though.

Premade is much simpler, the support is pretty good.

DIY can be super complicated. It certainly has a higher aggravation/mental cost to get going, but the capabilities are way higher. Do you need that higher capability? No one but you can know.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 21, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Starting to build out my flash array with cheap Microcenter $30 240GB ssds. Gonna fill my 25 bay array with em, to complement my SAS spinning rust arrays

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
UnRAID is a pretty happy medium between prebuilt and custom.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

What I can't figure out is if the WD Gold 18TB is subject to the PIN3 issue and whether or not the DS920+ will have problems with drives with said issue.

The WD181KRYZ is on the qualification list and should fine. I'd wager bum drive.

If your drive actually is a WG181KRYZ, WD doesn't seem to think such a thing exists, so no idea what's going on there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Not sure if anyone else can verify, but this post makes me think QNAP: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/iec7lb/if_you_value_your_data_and_sanity_dont_buy_qnap

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have a 6TB drive with about 4ish years of use on it according to SMART. My unraid server keeps sending me alerts that it's spiking in temp to about 46C for about five minutes and then dropping back under to normal. This is happening multiple times a day. Should I be concerned and think about replacing this or is this also potentially an issue where SMART doesn't always provide the correct temps? No other errors in SMART to report.

I don't like running to failure but don't want to just replace good drives that have a few beads of sweat on them. With a 12TB going on sale for $180 every few weeks it isn't the worst thing in the world and my server would continually be growing with fresher drives.

What's the threads input on this? Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think you accidentally a word because holy gently caress that sounds painful at best, and loving lol at hard coded root passwords.

TraderStav posted:

I have a 6TB drive with about 4ish years of use on it according to SMART. My unraid server keeps sending me alerts that it's spiking in temp to about 46C for about five minutes and then dropping back under to normal.

Is it getting fed warm air off of something else every five minutes?

I'd ignore it if temperature is the only error.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is it getting fed warm air off of something else every five minutes?

I'd ignore it if temperature is the only error.

Can't imagine it is, especially as the other drives are not shooting the error. It's not under an air return or anything (which this time of year would be cool air) and sits about eight feet up on the top of my storage racks in my basement.

Appreciate the input, I'll keep watching for other errors and go from there. Will see if there's any opportunities to improve air flow as well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was thinking more along the lines of getting cooked by the CPU/GPU in the case.

If you're still worried about it, swap it into a different position. That'll at least confirm that the issue is heat generated by the drive itself.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of getting cooked by the CPU/GPU in the case.

If you're still worried about it, swap it into a different position. That'll at least confirm that the issue is heat generated by the drive itself.

Ah, I see. The drives are in a standalone 8-bay JBOD enclosure that is stacked on its side on top of the dell 7810 workstation so it's conceivable that it's transferring up from there but different case entirely. I'll move stuff around and see how it goes.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What is the temperature of the other drives? If the other drives stay at 44 degrees and the warning limit is 45, then maybe the one drive just occasionally runs warmer. Or the other drives may be different, cooler models.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I don’t recall getting temperature alerts on the others but we’ll be mindful going forward to pay attention. That’s a snapshot from right now and I believe the others are generally between 35-40C. It’s disk 3.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I don’t recall getting temperature alerts on the others but we’ll be mindful going forward to pay attention. That’s a snapshot from right now and I believe the others are generally between 35-40C. It’s disk 3.

Temperature gradients up as you get to the middle of the device, sounds correct. You either need cooler inflow or more airflow. I bet if you swapped your coolest and hottest disk the temperature would follow the slot not the disk.

You made me curious, this is in my 8-bay synology that is in a room that I believe is currently set at 80F ambient, sideways in a Kallax unit because it doesn't fit face out:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 22, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hrmm. You’re making me want to shut it down and take a look. I’m not sure I was clever enough to arrange them in order in the bays but I should. It could just be the HGST runs hotter in this environment also.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Hrmm. You’re making me want to shut it down and take a look. I’m not sure I was clever enough to arrange them in order in the bays but I should. It could just be the HGST runs hotter in this environment also.

Your HGST disk is also fixed 7200 RPM while your WD Green's are bullshit IntelliPower Bullshit. Likely they are spinning a lot slower.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Your HGST disk is also fixed 7200 RPM while your WD Green's are bullshit IntelliPower Bullshit. Likely they are spinning a lot slower.

There we go! Hadn't considered that. Thanks, I'll wait for other failures now

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, yeah if they aren't all the same drive then of course there will be thermal differences.

To be clear, I don't even blink an eye at a 50 deg C drive - I ran a fileserver in my garage for years and I still have a single 10TB WD out there. Ambient is upwards of 40C in the summer.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

QES is only used on their high end models. You know, where security is important. The home and small business models don't seem to have the same issues.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Devian666 posted:

QES is only used on their high end models. You know, where security is important. The home and small business models don't seem to have the same issues.
Oh good. That sure makes me want to support them in that case. Hard coded root passwords are a sign of a great company. My mistake. What a poo poo show.

/S if it's not obvious.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think you accidentally a word because holy gently caress that sounds painful at best, and loving lol at hard coded root passwords.

:lol: yeah, missed a word or thought.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Molten Llama posted:

The WD181KRYZ is on the qualification list and should fine. I'd wager bum drive.

If your drive actually is a WG181KRYZ, WD doesn't seem to think such a thing exists, so no idea what's going on there.

You are, of course, correct on the drive's model designation. I was so sure I checked that linked page and recall seeing Golds on the list but only up to 14 TB.

I went ahead and sent the drive back in anyway; hopefully the replacement doesn't have the same issue. Thanks for looking into this and letting me know what you found.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Whoever makes a cross-platform development framework that actually makes your software secure will hopefully be rich and famous despite giving away the software for free so even penny pinchers use it. Otherwise, we're headed for a Westworld future where small tweaks and sliders will let a rando take over your freakin' datacenter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Oh man I just clicked this. That's illegal in California now I believe. It's why even the sketchy stuff comes with a random password on a sticker. I wonder if you can report it to the CA AG? You would need to own a unit to have standing though.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB327

"(1) The preprogrammed password is unique to each device manufactured."

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 23, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey everyone. I'm starting to run a bit low on HD space on my rig and wanted to grab a 6-8 tb drive to store media/games I don't play often enough (or are too large) to have on my SSD but don't want to download every time I get the itch (looking at you, Dirt Rally 2 and Hitman 2).

What should I be looking for regarding brand/model? I'm not in the states so my options are a bit limited but I can see the usual suspects here from some cursory window shopping: WD blue/red/black, Seagate Skyhaw/Ironwolf/Barracuda, but I've no idea what any of those mean.

Addendum: Can I -eventually- buy an external enclosure and set up a NAS with one of these? That's more of a long-term project than an immediate need, so just curious about it.

Thanks!

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

What should I be looking for regarding brand/model? I'm not in the states so my options are a bit limited but I can see the usual suspects here from some cursory window shopping: WD blue/red/black, Seagate Skyhaw/Ironwolf/Barracuda, but I've no idea what any of those mean.

WD Blue: General-purpose desktop drive.
WD Red: NAS drive. (Or "NAS drive" in the case of EFAX SMR models. Don't buy an EFAX model.)
WD Black: Fast desktop drive.

Seagate Skyhawk: Surveillance drive. Probably not what you want for a desktop or future NAS.
Seagate Ironwolf: NAS drives. Has features the WDs don't, and doesn't ever come in dumb broken SMR configurations.
Seagate BarraCuda: General-purpose desktop drive.
Seagate BarraCuda Pro: Fast desktop drive.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Addendum: Can I -eventually- buy an external enclosure and set up a NAS with one of these? That's more of a long-term project than an immediate need, so just curious about it.

Yes and no. Nearly all purpose-built NAS boxes are going to require you to initialize (i.e. erase) the drive when you install it. If you're looking instead at building a DIY solution, you can often plop an existing drive and all its data into an array if you know what you're doing. (Or you can easily lose all your data if you don't.) But depending on how long-term "long-term" is, you may well be better off buying newer/cheaper/bigger/faster drives for the NAS at that point anyway.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 24, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Molten Llama posted:

WD Red: NAS drive. (Or "NAS drive" in the case of EFAX SMR models. Don't buy an EFAX model.)

Seagate Skyhawk: Surveillance drive. Probably not what you want for a desktop or future NAS.
Seagate Ironwolf: NAS drives. Has features the WDs don't, and doesn't ever come in dumb broken SMR configurations.

Thanks a lot, that was super helpful. Will most likely end up going for a 4tb Blue, the only black I can find here is the 6tb one but it's 3x the price of the 4tb Blue and honestly I can live with slightly longer load times.

Molten Llama posted:

Yes and no. Nearly all purpose-built NAS boxes are going to require you to initialize (i.e. erase) the drive when you install it. If you're looking instead at building a DIY solution, you can often plop an existing drive and all its data into an array if you know what you're doing. (Or you can easily lose all your data if you don't.) But depending on how long-term "long-term" is, you may well be better off buying newer/cheaper/bigger/faster drives for the NAS at that point anyway.
Yeah, it's long term enough that I'll probably end up doing that eventually.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

sharkytm posted:

Oh good. That sure makes me want to support them in that case. Hard coded root passwords are a sign of a great company. My mistake. What a poo poo show.

/S if it's not obvious.

:lol: yeah, missed a word or thought.

I know when I demand security the first idea I have is to hardcode a password into an enterprise product that costs a fortune.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I've got a Synology DS416j with three 4tb disks in a SHR configuration (7.27tb total space) that is running really low on storage. Obviously the easiest thing to do right now would be to just grab another 4tb drive and call it a day, but I'm thinking I'd like to go ahead and just throw a few larger disks at it so I'm not having to rethink this in 8-12 months when I run out of space again. What is the easiest way to do this? If I have to start over from scratch and copy everything back over to the NAS it's something I can do, but is there a way I can do this without having to rebuild the array and back to the NAS?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

12TB Easystores for $190 at best buy, best buy on ebay, and best buy on google shopping:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14296031-12tb-wd-easystore-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black-190-free-shipping?src=frontpage

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6364259.p?skuId=6364259
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-easystore-12TB-External-USB-3-0-Hard-Drive-Black-/193558573703
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1428409141082269253

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I wanted to get a small NAS for RAW camera files and other photo/home movie backups, is it overkill to go with the Synology DS220+? The DS220j is half the price, but also seems like much lower RAM capacity.
I think I would put 2 4TB (or maybe 8TB) drives in there, mirrored. If I wanted to expand in the future, would I need to migrate everything to another drive while I installed the new disks?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Molten Llama posted:

Ok what about the Ultrastars? They're barely if at all more expensive than the Reds/Ironwolves and seem to be good in based on that Backblaze study but not necessarily the models I can find like HUS728T8TALE6L4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
For a new NAS build, I believe I am going to roll with ZFS. Seems to meet almost all of my requirements.

On a new deployment, should I be going with TrueNAS 12 instead of FreeNAS 11.2/11.3?

Going to mostly be hosting a bunch of large spinning disks for SMB shares + some SSDs for either iSCSI/NFS for ESXi VM storage.