Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
You’re a wonderful protagonist, The Protagonist! I’m not gonna look at all that yet but I will do the same when I catch up!

If there isn’t a thread for this yet, maybe one of
us should get around to making one. I doubt it’d see much traffic, but still. I also like the bit where you can’t look much of anything up because I’m horrible about spoiling things for myself that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I was thinking about diving into Hellpoint but saw a couple things mentioned on the internet that made me a little hesitant and I wanted to check if they were valid.

I saw a number of people complaining that the game's layout was extremely convoluted and that, without a map, you spend a decent chunk of time just aimlessly wandering around trying to get back to a place you know you're supposed to be going. Accurate or overblown?

I also saw mention that there's virtually no story unless you actively seek out lore items and terminals and things. This isn't a negative for me, I'm just curious if that's true as well.

Finally, more of a direct question -- is this a game where if you don't do your stats correctly on leveling up you potentially end up with a useless character and have to start from the beginning, or are stats not that important and/or is there a respec option that can be easily used?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

From what I understand, there’s not currently a respec option (or a level cap) but somebody with more experience will have to take the rest.

The bug that’s bugging me most at the moment is that it won’t let me delete my goddamn save data. It just pops back up no matter what!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Aerox posted:

I saw a number of people complaining that the game's layout was extremely convoluted and that, without a map, you spend a decent chunk of time just aimlessly wandering around trying to get back to a place you know you're supposed to be going. Accurate or overblown?

Depends what you like. Personally I absolutely loved exploring and mapping out the station, figuring out what areas connected to what and making note of locked off places should I stumble upon the proper keys later. Even late into the game I was finding new interlinks and return shortcuts that bound up the whole place in a tight web where nothing was really all that far away, if you knew the way. What I took on my first runthrough to be a late-game area, you could actually get to pretty early on if you made a point to. Haven't been in a world that felt like that since DS1, including 2 & 3 which both had their charms but never fully recaptured that aspect.

But it absolutely is not a passive thing. At the very least you need to be asking yourself 'what areas can I access, and have I beat the boss there yet?' Game is giving the finger to waypoints and quest notifications.

Aerox posted:

Finally, more of a direct question -- is this a game where if you don't do your stats correctly on leveling up you potentially end up with a useless character and have to start from the beginning, or are stats not that important and/or is there a respec option that can be easily used?

Respec would be nice but isn't in as far as I've found. I was totally wishy-washy with stat allocation, basically adding what points I needed to use whatever new toy I found that looked cool. Throw in a few body/mind mods, and the passive buffs upgraded weapons give and you can do whatever you want in short order. Probably just wanna boost up health and stamina first thing to get a comfortable buffer, and not pump up a bunch of the load stat. Here's my build at ng+

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Cool, thank you! I think I’m gonna give it a shot this weekend.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I put 5 points into everything starting out, and so far I don't feel penalized too much and let me feel around which path to go with. The cool thing is you can still use an item if you don't have the stats you're instead penalized heavily. Also there are these conductor things you are actually upgrading instead of the weapon itself so you can swap your +5 thingy to another weapon if you find something else plus if you find a DEX weapon and you are all STR, you could put a STR conductor on it to apply your STR bonus to balance out the lack of DEX.

As for the exploration I love it. I haven't gotten lost yet, but you sure do wonder around a lot. I ended up taking this long rear end round trip to the back door of the second boss via several zones.

If you're bored goto Twitch and click on a Hellpoint streamer, check the user list for iridnovo and then you can do !vote to start loving with people totally confused why things are happening.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I'm still going in Hellpoint and loving it, I've converted to a "mage" after upgrading the fire staff to max. It melts everything.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

ghostinmyshell posted:

I put 5 points into everything starting out, and so far I don't feel penalized too much and let me feel around which path to go with. The cool thing is you can still use an item if you don't have the stats you're instead penalized heavily. Also there are these conductor things you are actually upgrading instead of the weapon itself so you can swap your +5 thingy to another weapon if you find something else plus if you find a DEX weapon and you are all STR, you could put a STR conductor on it to apply your STR bonus to balance out the lack of DEX.

As for the exploration I love it. I haven't gotten lost yet, but you sure do wonder around a lot. I ended up taking this long rear end round trip to the back door of the second boss via several zones.

If you're bored goto Twitch and click on a Hellpoint streamer, check the user list for iridnovo and then you can do !vote to start loving with people totally confused why things are happening.

Hold on - so you can "unsocket" the conductors and keep both them and the weapon in question?

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hold on - so you can "unsocket" the conductors and keep both them and the weapon in question?

You can remove conductors and put them in other weapons without penalty. The weapon will keep it's xp/unlocks but lose the stat bonuses.

There are two handed attacks, actually a lot of weapons have a another attack if you have one empty slot and press left attack.

I found a top hat.

I am a fire build and it melts the gently caress out of everything except for one boss so far. I think I'm getting close to the end but I'm having too much fun with my one-punch build I'm working towards.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
I'm not sure if I've encountered 2 large bugs in hellpoint or if I'm doing something wrong in the game.

1) I can use Pathing with the omnicube but when I try to use Transposition no prompt comes up. There's no purple light on the cube either when it's selected, unlike Pathing which gives the cube a yellow light.

2) When I try to make any breach warpable, I click and nothing happens.

Probably bugs right? Should I just find the save file and uninstall/reinstall? Also where is the save file if that's the solution.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

ghostinmyshell posted:

You can remove conductors and put them in other weapons without penalty. The weapon will keep it's xp/unlocks but lose the stat bonuses.

There are two handed attacks, actually a lot of weapons have a another attack if you have one empty slot and press left attack.

I found a top hat.

I am a fire build and it melts the gently caress out of everything except for one boss so far. I think I'm getting close to the end but I'm having too much fun with my one-punch build I'm working towards.

Yeah, found that out, it's a neat way to enable multiple weapons even if one also is obliged to level weapons up to get the most use out of them. Didn't know about the simple unequip to unlock two-handing, I was wondering if there was powerstancing in this game.

thehandtruck posted:

I'm not sure if I've encountered 2 large bugs in hellpoint or if I'm doing something wrong in the game.

1) I can use Pathing with the omnicube but when I try to use Transposition no prompt comes up. There's no purple light on the cube either when it's selected, unlike Pathing which gives the cube a yellow light.

2) When I try to make any breach warpable, I click and nothing happens.

Probably bugs right? Should I just find the save file and uninstall/reinstall? Also where is the save file if that's the solution.

So I bopped in-game to check Transposition and when I select it it pops up a prompt to return to the last Breach visited. I don't think there's meant to be a purple light on it, as it only starts emanating an aura when the dialog is brought up and if you cancel out, it tucks away. Are you using a keyboard? If so, are you tapping the actual number key to select the program first while holding X, before releasing X and tapping it again?

As for the breaches, do you have a Breach Synchronizer consumable in your Misc tab of your inventory? (Last inventory category). You need to have one to make a Breach warpable, they aren't innately warpable upon discovery. It's one of my primary beefs with the game, particularly since it makes farming more lengthy.

Pyrolocutus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 11, 2020

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Pyrolocutus posted:

So I bopped in-game to check Transposition and when I select it it pops up a prompt to return to the last Breach visited. I don't think there's meant to be a purple light on it, as it only starts emanating an aura when the dialog is brought up and if you cancel out, it tucks away. Are you using a keyboard? If so, are you tapping the actual number key to select the program first while holding X, before releasing X and tapping it again?

As for the breaches, do you have a Breach Synchronizer consumable in your Misc tab of your inventory? (Last inventory category). You need to have one to make a Breach warpable, they aren't innately warpable upon discovery. It's one of my primary beefs with the game, particularly since it makes farming more lengthy.

Lol it's so glitchy. I'm on controller and figured out I can play with the buttons enough to get the prompt to come up both with transposition and breach synchronizer but nothing happens when I do.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Speaking of soulslikes, what’s the word on Mortal Shell? It comes out tomorrow/the 18th and the videos I’ve watched make it seem like it’d also be right up my alley but if there’s information out there (beta impressions from goons, etc.) that’d sway me one way or another, I’d love to factor it in.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

burial posted:

Speaking of soulslikes, what’s the word on Mortal Shell? It comes out tomorrow/the 18th and the videos I’ve watched make it seem like it’d also be right up my alley but if there’s information out there (beta impressions from goons, etc.) that’d sway me one way or another, I’d love to factor it in.

I haven't heard much about it except for it's hardening gimmick. I would love to hear how the exploration is though, that's the big draw for me in these games. I have heard it might be $30 so that's a good price for me to jump in blind, but I'll wait for initial console performance reviews.

edit: Watching people playing it on Twitch. So far I'm a little meh on it for the environments seen so far. Definitely don't like how most enemies don't react to being hit or stagger.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 17, 2020

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mortal Shell comes out tomorrow on pc/ps4/xbox and looks very interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1AESBecyTc

It's a streamlined Souls-like (that actually advertises itself as a "Soulslike" on the official website) with a heavy focus on the combat and stripping out a lot of the RPG aspects.

I read some reviews and the consensus seems to be that it's very hard, but good. There are no stats or levels, you never get numerically stronger, so even at the end of the game, the low-level enemies can still legitimately wreck you, you can't grind or outlevel them, your health never goes up and you never take less damage. The bonfire equivalents are very rare (only about 10 in the entire game) and you can sometimes go an hour between them, so you get lots of very tense situations and you get invested in your survival in a way you don't so much in newer soulslike games with a bonfire every 5 feet. The game itself is small compared to other games in the genre, but the punishing difficulty and the fact that you can actually lose large chunks of progress make it feel big.

There aren't any shields, but there is dodging and a sort of blocking system that sounds hella cool - you can basically transmute yourself into a statue in the middle of any action/animation/whatever - you freeze and your skin hardens, and then when you get hit (or after some time passes), you take no damage, the statue form ends, and you continue the animation you were in when you started it. So, for example you can line up big home run swing of an attack, transmute into a statue partway through the animation to block an enemy attack, and then immediately counterattack with the big swing you started earlier.

The videos I've seen make it look like the combat is very kinetic and weighty which is IMO the main thing missing in most souls clones

And it's only $30.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 18, 2020

burial
Sep 13, 2002

We were just talking about that! The reviews are making it sound like I’m going to have thirty less dollars in the near future. I am telling myself this is OK and totally not irresponsible.

Apparently there was already enough clamour for a physical version that one is heading into production and being released on 2 Oct, so I guess that’ll work out extremely well for patient types who want to make sure it’s decent AND also like having a disc and fancy artbooks or whatevs.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wasn’t impressed by the midgame twist of an apostrophe arriving to inform you that it’s actually mortal’s hell

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I watched one boss fight and it was camera hell. I still haven't found anything about console performance.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mortal Shell is cool and fun so far

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Mortal Shell is cool and fun so far

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Mortal Shell: so after getting the first shell, I wandered into a dungeon found a cool giant sword and a couple of upgrades for it, defeated a couple of bosses, then discovered that after defeating the second one I was basically trapped in one of the hardest dungeons in the game.

This sucks, guess I'll restart.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I put in a refund for Mortal Shell. It feels like a very streamlined Souls game focused on combat. And because of that a lot of the world design and mystery is suffering which is why I really enjoy these games. The XBX version I was playing was experiencing frame drops the first couple of boss fights so that was frustrating.

Plus I kept hitting A to jump :smith: Thanks Hellpoint.

I'll probably come back to it on PC when I upgrade one day.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
is it possible to remap the controls in Mortal Shell

burial
Sep 13, 2002

I don’t think so, unfortunately. They’re fine for me, but if I am correct I hope that’s something they fix for the scores of people that won’t tolerate that poo poo.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

One of the reasons Mortal Shell is good because, like bloodborne, the small number of weapons means they all get a lot of attention for animations and different strings of light+heavy attacks doing different moves.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
who cares about that, I always spam R1 and it hasn't failed in the soulsborne games so far

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I kind of do, because something I dislike the most about many Souls clones is how samey all weapons often feel. Collecting cool gear is one of my favourite things about the Dark Souls games, but if there's no real difference it feels kind of pointless.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
It looks like the Fresh Releases is exposing a demand for a non-From Software Souls-like megathread.

They clearly get the most discussion.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This kinda bites, I was looking around for info on Gunhead/Cryptark 2, but it looks like the devs have been almost radio silent for a year or two :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I downloaded “Spiritfarer” on xbox game pass and it’s a gorgeous looking sort of 2d platformer mixed with management sim that I am enjoying the extremely chill vibes of. Anyone else playing it?

Apprently you can play local coop where the 2P controls the cat, Daffodil, and can do tasks like cook food and harvest crops etc, which rules.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

priznat posted:

I downloaded “Spiritfarer” on xbox game pass and it’s a gorgeous looking sort of 2d platformer mixed with management sim that I am enjoying the extremely chill vibes of. Anyone else playing it?

Apprently you can play local coop where the 2P controls the cat, Daffodil, and can do tasks like cook food and harvest crops etc, which rules.

Played it for a few hours the other night and enjoying it. Very chill.

Didn’t realize it had a local coop option. That’s awesome!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Played it for a few hours the other night and enjoying it. Very chill.

Didn’t realize it had a local coop option. That’s awesome!

Yeah I just read about it in one of the reviews, or it could have been online coop. I didn’t see an option on the pc platform though so perhaps only xbox.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

priznat posted:

It is indeed very chill and good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Some really heavy subjects, though. If you recently lost family members to things like Alzheimers, you might want to think twice about playing it.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
It's definitely an interesting take on Charon, the art is very nice too.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OMG, Fall Guys is as much ridiculous fun as it looks like. I have terrible reflexes, am a terrible platformer, and never made it past Stage 1 (although I have hopes). It's still riotous fun.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

priznat posted:

I am playing it and loving it so far. Lots of things to do and a very natural progression, but still very relaxing. Also the art and music are gorgeous.

Definitely some heavy subject matter but I think it's handled sensitively.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Spiritfarer is gorgeous and I like it a whole lot. My only major criticism is that they leaned really hard into the fiddly busywork part of the management and it can get a little annoying having to water your plants for the 500th time while you're sailing around doing stuff for your pals.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kanos posted:

Spiritfarer is gorgeous and I like it a whole lot. My only major criticism is that they leaned really hard into the fiddly busywork part of the management and it can get a little annoying having to water your plants for the 500th time while you're sailing around doing stuff for your pals.

Yeah I was hoping for a way to automate that but I guess not.

Also I need a ton of thread for various upgrades so gotta grow a bunch of flax.

I haven’t parted ways with any of the folks on board yet (got 4 now) so haven’t had that to deal with yet..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kanos posted:

I finished the game yesterday, you absolutely will find a discrepancy on resources you just have over time v the ones you work for. This really needed automation options for everything. Especially once you bring characters to the everdoor and lose their free resources every once in a while.

Overall I enjoyed my time but the ending left me unfulfilled, there's lots of things you're supposed to work out yourself and lots of things unanswered. Also some characters will land and others just have zero character development. Don't think it's worth full price, but I had fun playing through it on gamepass.