Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
It's real unfortunate that young, talented martial arts actors are overprone to stupid, lethal accidents- because I really want to see Scott Adkins behind the camera one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
well, he's 44. I think he's got most of the stupid out of him by now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah, if it makes you feel any better, Adkins has said in interviews that he can't do what he did in his late 20s/early 30s anymore and he's focused more on acting and such. He knows he can't do Boyka triple kicks forever.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m watching that One Night in Bangkok movie. Pretty neat opening montage so far.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Scott Adkins is the best and I'm glad I brought him up a few pages ago, all his youtubes are great.

here's his top5 btw - Still haven't seen Universal Soldier; since I hadn't seen the original, will double-header them tonight.

#1 -Avengement
#2 - Undisputed III: Redemption
#3 - Accident Man
#4 - Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
#5 - Ninja: Shadow of a Tear

I agree with Avengement; it was the first movie of his that I "got" Scott Adkins - those prison scenes were loving brutal and his story telling in the bar was great acting. Hell yeah just found out Legacy of Lies is out now too

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gonna try to not spam too much but One Night in Bangkok is essentially Collateral in Thailand, lmao.

Edit: there’s a major plot point centered around Bitcoin, lmao

Edit 2: I gave it 2.5 stars. Was hoping for way more action and they totally chicken out on the climax when you’re expecting a big fight scene. You could skip it, but it’s not a complete waste of time.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Aug 22, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Gonna try to not spam too much but One Night in Bangkok is essentially Collateral in Thailand, lmao.

gently caress yeah!!!

quote:

Edit 2: I gave it 2.5 stars. Was hoping for way more action and they totally chicken out on the climax when you’re expecting a big fight scene. You could skip it, but it’s not a complete waste of time.

gently caress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Collateral is really good but it's really more of a mood piece than an action setpiece movie. I wouldn't expect a giant climax to a movie that resembles it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

Collateral is really good but it's really more of a mood piece than an action setpiece movie. I wouldn't expect a giant climax to a movie that resembles it.

Yeah but it’s Mark Dacascos and I didn’t wanted a straight remake I wanted the big men to punch each other!!!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Taintrunner posted:

Edit: there’s a major plot point centered around Bitcoin, lmao

I didn't want to mention before you finished it that the director of the movie previously made two of the worst action movies of all time, so your review indicates a huge improvement in his filmmaking ability.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahaha if that’s the case. Well, I found it enjoyable, if uninspired. But they say the best way an artist can improve is by copying the greats.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I’m making my way through all of Scott Adkins stuff and Savage Dog is top tier. I feel like it’s an 80’s JVD or Stallone type film so it’s giving great nostalgia vibes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

dokmo posted:

I didn't want to mention before you finished it that the director of the movie previously made two of the worst action movies of all time, so your review indicates a huge improvement in his filmmaking ability.

:stare: oh my god the Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever guy isn't in movie jail.

:psyboom:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

:stare: oh my god the Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever guy isn't in movie jail.

:psyboom:

YO WHAT

Edit: I’m now watching Scott Adkins Ninja 1 and this is a ton of fun for a live action children’s cartoon, somehow the voice actor for the Cowboy Bebop guy is in this? What? Lmao.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 23, 2020

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

YO WHAT

Edit: I’m now watching Scott Adkins Ninja 1 and this is a ton of fun for a live action children’s cartoon, somehow the voice actor for the Cowboy Bebop guy is in this? What? Lmao.

I recommended it in the old kung fu movie thread and got yelled at. It's nice to find someone else who liked it. The sequel is loving great.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

I recommended it in the old kung fu movie thread and got yelled at. It's nice to find someone else who liked it. The sequel is loving great.

There's a cyber-ninja and there's two ninjas fighting for the climax. It rules. The second is more grounded and a huge step up in production values but it's a fantastic movie centered around the King of the Weebs going on an international rear end kicking tour.

edit: and the second one has a dude running drugs through a ninja dojo this poo poo kicks so much rear end

edit2: finally finishing Avengement and this dude has a fantastic flight simulator setup

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Aug 23, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

jase1 posted:

Im making my way through all of Scott Adkins stuff and Savage Dog is top tier. I feel like its an 80s JVD or Stallone type film so its giving great nostalgia vibes.

yea, when I started the Scott Adkins derail it was right after watching Savage Dog. What a great little movie. If you haven't check out Avengement; was one of the earlier ones I saw and it's basically what got me hooked on the Adkins diet.

Taintrunner posted:

The second is more grounded and a huge step up in production values but it's a fantastic movie centered around the King of the Weebs going on an international rear end kicking tour.
Completely agreed, I watched back to back, both are well films, but the first one is a lot "sloppier" - The second one is just fantastic all the way around.

It reminded me a little bit of The Foreigner (with Jackie Chan) which imo was one of the best action movies of the past few years.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 24, 2020

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

Taintrunner posted:

edit2: finally finishing Avengement

Lucky... wasn't it so good?!

Also just finished Legacy of Lies. Good movie overall, one of his better ones - it helped going in totally blank (as I always try to do) after just finding out it existed/was out.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Speaking if Scott Atkins has anyone heard of 36 cinema. They are doing a stream of My Lucky Stars on Friday and Scott Adkins is doing live commentary which sounds amazing.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Adkins and My Lucky Stars? That's insane

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crying Freeman with Mark Dacascos is phenomenally dumb, absolutely a must-watch. So many ridiculous little details, and this is a movie that opens with exploding guns, only getting more and more ridiculous from there. Great practical effects work and action too!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

Crying Freeman with Mark Dacascos is phenomenally dumb, absolutely a must-watch. So many ridiculous little details, and this is a movie that opens with exploding guns, only getting more and more ridiculous from there. Great practical effects work and action too!

This was a movie I knew nothing about until I watched the Adkins youtube episode with Dacascos. Same for Drive, and it turns out both are on Prime.

Cryman Freeman is I guess where Dacascos met the director of Brotherhood of the Wolf, which is also great.

edit: lol the movie should've been called Cryman Freeman instead

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 25, 2020

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, I just started watching BotW, which is hilarious. Mark is a martial arts Native Americans is a ridiculous combo. Plus it’s got Vincent Cassel!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Watching Hard Boiled yet again because it fuckin' rules and like, drat, this movie fuckin' rules so hard even after so many years of watching it. Even the non-action parts are like, like Tony Leung/Alan's intro where he's driving to the library and it freeze frame fades to him entering the building and then the music cuts out as he takes his sunglasses off, like holy poo poo. :perfect: the caliber the of shots and setups in this. Everything feels so dense like you could pull an entire movie out of characters like Uncle Hoi that are on screen for like five minutes, like every single time any two actors are on screen together there's like perfect chemistry. The entire warehouse raid -> Uncle Hoi being dealt -> the police raid right after would be the ridiculous highly lauded climax of any other action movie but then the action in the final act is so good people don't even bring it up.

Honesty The Killer really is a better and more focused movie overall but holy poo poo, Hard Boiled is one of my favorite flicks ever.

Also more movies need to have a scene where the character loads SHINY GOLD shotgun rounds into their shotgun so that there's an excuse to have ever single shotgun blast result in an explosion and people being set on fire.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Crying Freeman is an adaptation of a Kazuo Koike manga, so it's the same source author as both Lone Wolf and Cub and Mad Bull 34. That is why it's insane, everything he writes is insane and great.

Drive is one of the top-tier action movies of all-time, but if you can find the Director's Cut instead of the one that always gets loaded to streaming services then you should watch that.

I actually own a bootleg DVD set that sold both together, it used to be very easy to get on eBay but apparently that has dried up in the last decade as people started to avoid physical media.

https://twitter.com/Boco_T/status/650489473151684608

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Another Crying Freeman movie is The Dragon From Russia from 1990. It's pretty crazy and has Mrs. Jet Li in a shower fight.

The HK Legends DVD has a fascinating commentary with director Clarence Fok and (of course) Bey Logan on shooting without permission at the famous Peninsula Hotel and in Moscow just after the collapse of the Soviet Union. And how the studio kept messing with the movie to add whatever their whim of the moment was.
You can find the commentary audio on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGb25WMLpU

Look at that knife action ! (and sloppy editing)

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 25, 2020

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

CeeJee posted:

Another Crying Freeman movie is The Dragon From Russia from 1990. It's pretty crazy and has Mrs. Jet Li in a shower fight.

The HK Legends DVD has a fascinating commentary with director Clarence Fok and (of course) Bey Logan on shooting without permission at the famous Peninsula Hotel and in Moscow just after the collapse of the Soviet Union. And how the studio kept messing with the movie to add whatever their whim of the moment was.
You can find the commentary audio on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGb25WMLpU

Look at that knife action ! (and sloppy editing)

Holy poo poo I somehow had no idea there was more than one of these. :O

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thread hero Scott Adkins is doing live commentary over the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung movie My Lucky Stars this Friday. Tickets are free but limited.

quote:

Register here for your free ticket!

The Freer and Sackler team up with 36 Cinema to bring you a live event with British-born Hong Kong action star Scott Adkins (Ip Man 4), who will break down all the action in the martial arts comedy classic My Lucky Stars. Hong Kong martial arts greats Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan, and Yuen Biao join forces in this goofball kung fu lark. Chan is an undercover cop who enlists his bumbling former orphanage pals, the five Lucky Stars, to help him track down a corrupt cop hiding out in the Japanese underworld. From the dazzling amusement park-set opening—with Chan scaling a Ferris wheel in one of his most jaw-dropping stunts—to the thrilling haunted-house finale, My Lucky Stars offers its trio of legends a true chance to shine. (Dir.: Sammo Hung, Hong Kong, 1985, 96 min., Cantonese with English subtitles)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I paid 8 dollars for mine...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

I paid 8 dollars for mine...

Oh sorry! It says something about a code so maybe you're supposed to use that. It doesn't seem to be working one way or the other for me in Canada so I guess it's geolocked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
New Adkins youtube episode debuts today at noon. He's interviewing Richard Norton, who was a fight coordinator on Fury Road and Suicide Squad and has worked with a lot of notable action stars of the 80s and 90s like Jackie Chan, Cynthia Rothrock, Chuck Norris, and Michael Dudikoff.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Norton was the bad guy in a million direct to video action movies in the 80s and 90s, including one of my very favorites, Tough And Deadly, starring Billy Blanks and Rowdy Roddy Piper (who plays a guy named Elmo Freech, how great is that?). That film is a loving hoot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He also was fight choreographer on the seminal action masterpiece, Gymkata.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

Oh sorry! It says something about a code so maybe you're supposed to use that. It doesn't seem to be working one way or the other for me in Canada so I guess it's geolocked.

Oh no I ordered it on Monday from I believe a different site. I was fake complaining

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This little documentary follows Norton and Cynthia Rothrock while visiting Germany for an action movie convention. They're so cute in their passion for what they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QevSX7ruTk

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Stone Cold's end credits feature a really nice tracking shot. I must have taken a lot of coordination to get all those folks on cue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7eBXMqsePE

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

That Richard Norton interview was pretty good, it's mostly about his experiences doing Hong Kong action movies, including getting uppercutted 20 times by Sammo Hung on camera and enjoying it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

Norton was the bad guy in a million direct to video action movies in the 80s and 90s, including one of my very favorites, Tough And Deadly, starring Billy Blanks and Rowdy Roddy Piper (who plays a guy named Elmo Freech, how great is that?). That film is a loving hoot.

I've met Norton. He's also a pretty high level BJJ guy and taught a seminar that i attended. He was super loving cool and has an incredible speaking voice. Since we're talking about his roles, 'Salute of the Jugger' is a post apocalyptic sports movie that's way better than that ridiculous description implies.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
For those who don't know, it's a Rutger Hauer movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Salute of the Jugger loving whips rear end