Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

SardonicTyrant posted:

Wait, all of his self-inserts are heavy metal rockers, but he hates rebels?

What

aesthetic primarily shaped by world of warcraft circa 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

I updated the op and crossed out the rule to not talk about original Dominic Deegan, because there's just nothing to talk about wrt Legacy.

Looking at a few posts in the beginning, posters were...well, I wouldn't say hopeful for Legacy. More like a bile fascination. It's amazing how things turned out.

I was hopeful things would be interestingly bad.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Yeah he just likes the long hair. As we know from "Star Power" Mookie is a bootlicker through and through.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

What

Yeah: https://starpowercomic.com/alignment/

I get it. Rebels are awesome. Living by your own rules is a sweet fantasy. Following your whims is a dream. But not everyone has those dreams. Some of us still aspire to the ideal of the knight in shining armor, and try to make those ideals relevant in modern storytelling.
Lawful Good may not be the alignment of awesomely rad rebels or sexy scoundrels, but its ideals are the ones I aspire to.

And on being uncool: https://starpowercomic.com/uncool-is-timeless/

Don’t try to write “cool.” You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with current trends, and it will become a time-stamp on your work. Uncool is timeless.
Even now, here in STAR POWER, Danica’s attempts at humor are far from clever or smooth (unless you ask the Zicuri, they think she’s hilarious), and it’s one of her most endearing qualities. Uncool characters are never a time-stamp because being uncool is not only a timeless quality, but a relatable one.

Write what you know. Think of some “uncool” things about yourself and make them character traits for your cast. If you think they’re awkward or embarrassing, all the better. You’ll reach someone who never thought they’d have a character to relate to on that level.

Honestly I don't even disagree with that last bit. But there's something about the way Mookie writes his "uncool" characters that makes them grating instead of endearing.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 23, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
One of the musicians Danica dated and hated was even a heavy metal rocker who gave his songs edgy titles. Which is exactly what Gregory turned into.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

What

The only thing Mookie cares about is appearing lawful/good/knowledgable/successful. It's why the lack of con scene is hitting him so hard.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly I don't even disagree with that last bit. But there's something about the way Mookie writes his "uncool" characters that makes them grating instead of endearing.

Because he still sits in judgement of others. His counterculture nonsense still comes with this superiority of not being like all the rest. Even his classic bits of advice from his panel are all about what not to do

- no cool rebels
- no farmboys
- etc.

He is continously patting himself on the back for doing the opposite of what he ignorantly thinks everyone else is doing.

Also, I agree, there's nothing particularly wrong with early DD, especially for the time. But, I think you can start seeing some of the Mookieisms pretty early, and there is a point when Mookie's writing enters the fascinatingly bad. My point, I would say, is past the storm of souls. There's bad stuff before that , but it's at that point, the story shifts away from more standard DND stuff to the interpersonal dramas where Mookie starts really getting weird.

However, his general immaturity around sex is obvious right from the beginning. Given that this was 20 years ago and he was fairly young, it sorta makes sense. I'm still going to call it out though because it doesn't change for over a decade, and if Legacy is any indication he still obviously has weird hangups about it.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 23, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I get it. Rebels are awesome. Living by your own rules is a sweet fantasy. Following your whims is a dream. But not everyone has those dreams. Some of us still aspire to the ideal of the knight in shining armor, and try to make those ideals relevant in modern storytelling.
Lawful Good may not be the alignment of awesomely rad rebels or sexy scoundrels, but its ideals are the ones I aspire to.

Mookie has such a narrow view of D&D Alignment. Robin Hood, the quintessential archetype of a cool, dashing rogue, had an extremely strict moral and ethical code bent on the betterment of people that he adhered to no matter what. You can make a compelling case that Robin Hood could be considered Lawful Good. He could even have been a Paladin of sorts, a champion of justice for the oppressed smiting the evil minions of a despotic king. Paladins have training in ranged weapons, usually have high charisma, that'd fit a longbow wielding sexy man just fine.

But he doesn't consider things like that, because as someone else said he's a proto-TVTroper. He doesn't see tropes as basic frameworks to help fill in a story, he sees them as immutable lego pieces to either be slotted in or wackily circumvented.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I gotta admit, I'm kinda curious what it'd be like to play D&D with Mookie.

I mean, probably insufferable, but still. His approach to... everything seems like it'd make for a somewhat bizarre event.

... I mean as a fellow player, I would not want to play with him as the DM, Jesus.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

What gets me is that it's not just his characters that have to be lawful good, but the world around them has to be to. His characters don't ever face dilemmas where they have to adhere to a moral code, he sets it up so the situation is always such that their answer is clear from the beginning. But how does that define a lawful good character if their lawful goodness is never tested? Even if you would have played a DND game using a very strict strict interpretation of the alignment system, did you still want to put your players in situations where they have to make a choice that would require a personal sacrifice but for the sake of their good alignment. I mean what defines a good character other than their willingness to sacrifice themselves for the greater good?

Danica never does something like that, and neither does Dominic.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 23, 2020

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

What

Well it's not 1970 anymore, liking metal doesn't make you part of a rebellious counterculture nowadays :shrug:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Little Death posted:

What gets me is that it's not just his characters that have to be lawful good, but the world around them has to be to. His characters don't ever face dilemmas where they have to adhere to a moral code, he sets it up so the situation is always such that their answer is clear from the beginning. But how does that define a lawful good character if their lawful goodness is never tested? Even if you would have played a DND game using a very strict strict interpretation of the alignment system, did you still want to put your players in situations where they have to make a choice that would require a personal sacrifice but for the sake of their good alignment. I mean what defines a good character other than their willingness to sacrifice themselves for the greater good?

Danica never does something like that, and neither does Dominic.

He would probably say a certain orc's choice was this.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

SardonicTyrant posted:

What

Reminder that Paul Ryan, who was picked to be Mitt Romney's running mate in 2012, decided his favourite band was Rage Against The Machine.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Uncanny Valley posted:

I downloaded the streams way back when. Looks like either UStream's auto-archiving or my copies might be missing a few sessions, and the videos are lovely UStream quality, but ~37.5 hours of Dominic Drinkin is still a hell of a lot of Deegan.

If Tesseraction is cool with it, I can upload to YouTube or Google Drive?

Go with the latter - if they go on YouTube I'd rather something of slightly better quality went up. Not sure my liver could survive a second round of it, mind you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Wait does that include the one where I started pre-loaded and passed out basically instantly and left the stream running for 8 hours while asleep on the floor?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

Because he still sits in judgement of others. His counterculture nonsense still comes with this superiority of not being like all the rest. Even his classic bits of advice from his panel are all about what not to do

There’s also the fact that instead of avoiding the current cool guy tropes to keep his characters timeless, Mookie’s just stapling on a bunch of nerd tropes from the 80s and 90s that have aged just as poorly. Danica lives hundreds of years in the future and still calling people jocks? People haven’t unironically said jock in 30 years! Back in the day it might’ve been an endearing archetype but “Pure nerd who values knowledge and is accepting of outcasts” rings pretty hollow nowadays, especially when the mask slips as often as it does in Mookie stories.

Remember Nimmel? How he was a shy outcast just like Dominic and such an uWu nerd bean? Then he transferred to the werewolf school where he knew his powers would make him the alpha and suddenly it’s “Bow before me inferior races”. Dominic will judge a woman for having big breasts but the man (and Mookie) is all about big breasts. poo poo Danica went from “Could never even hurt a robot, pure nerd astronomer” to “I’mma maim your whole family for fun” in record time.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

Remember Nimmel? How he was a shy outcast just like Dominic and such an uWu nerd bean? Then he transferred to the werewolf school where he knew his powers would make him the alpha and suddenly it’s “Bow before me inferior races”. Dominic will judge a woman for having big breasts but the man (and Mookie) is all about big breasts. poo poo Danica went from “Could never even hurt a robot, pure nerd astronomer” to “I’mma maim your whole family for fun” in record time.

John Berger, Ways of Seeing posted:

You painted a naked woman because you enjoyed looking at her, put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting “Vanity,” thus morally condemning the woman whose nakedness you had depicted for your own pleasure.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Hostile V posted:

I would disagree but I'm rereading Narbonic for funsies and while the main strip is still pretty solid, Garrity is absolutely correct it didn't find its feet until it introduced Madblood and the Sunday fan interaction strips give me secondhand embarrassment. Like they're innocuous really and people liked Narbonic a lot and it's still a good comic but I'm also glad in the commentary Garrity's like "god...yeah, yeah these happened" that kind of are just stumbling blocks from the rest of the updates. She's also a good creator in general and has learned a lot of lessons as time went on.

In conclusion: yeah they sure all were like that huh.

e: except Kid Radd which upon many revisits has consistently held up as being pretty good.

Narbonic rules, I went back to it during the height of quarantine and man what a fun ride. Absolutely takes a bit to get going both in terms of art and storyline quality though

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Skin Horse was also good. Narbonic was good. Schlock Mercenary as fun. You can tell what time period they come from, and it's not like they can compare directly to some of the stuff now. with even the artistic tools available to people having radically shifted. DD I think is unique in the author having not changed at all in that time, and retroactively looking at it through the lense of having followed Mookie for almost 2 decades, seeing the connecting patterns is really interesting to me.

I actually find Mookie, as I have said before, an interesting case study in American Liberalism. He is not a reactionary figure, he outwardly tries to be progressive, but analyzing work I can see this sort jungian shadow of his politics sitting beneath the surface. And because, like a lot of other people, Mookie doesn't seem to be willing to critically self-analyze, his responses to being called out (which occured several times during the course of DD) produced some fascinating rationalizations and results. While Stonewater was definitely the apex (or nadir?), there's plenty before and after where you see this dynamic, and that's what I sort of want to look at. I'm actually going to call out places I think Mookie did a good job, of which there are quite a few.

E: It's like Heinlein. I don't think you could say his work is bad objectively, but reading it critically shows you a set of politics in it that are fascist, and a set of sexual politics and mores that are mysoginistic. Being able to critically analyze it is I think more important than being able to declare it good of bad. DD is bad, but that's not what's interesting about it to me.

I actually remember liking DD when I read it as a 13 year old. But it was as I grew older and my politics changed and developed that I started hatereading, for lack of a better word. But it was more interest in analyzing than hatred that kept me coming back.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 23, 2020

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
hot take: the first strip of dominic deegan is unironically good. it exposits the core concept (or what was supposed to be the core concept, anyway) with a reasonable lack of heavyhandedness and even manages to extract humour out of the whole beleaguered small town oracle setup without coming off as trying too hard to be funny and quirky. nothing groundbreaking, but perfectly servicable all the same. if you just gave me that strip and no other context, I'd want to read more

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The core concept of "oracle for hire" and the fact that he's a grumpy rear end in a top hat because no one wants to use his powers for anything of consequence is good. Too bad about the rest of the comic though.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

hot take: the first strip of dominic deegan is unironically good. it exposits the core concept (or what was supposed to be the core concept, anyway) with a reasonable lack of heavyhandedness and even manages to extract humour out of the whole beleaguered small town oracle setup without coming off as trying too hard to be funny and quirky. nothing groundbreaking, but perfectly servicable all the same. if you just gave me that strip and no other context, I'd want to read more
If it were just the first few strips I would still be reading it alongside Questionable Content. Just some light entertainment I don't have to think too hard about.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I feel like as a white cis het man, Mookie may not understand why other people might like characters who are not bound by the rules of society and act against them.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, the stakes if DD had stayed roughly along that initial trajectory would have been really low, but... that wouldn’t have necessarily been a bad thing? Say he acts like a grump because he went off to wizard college with high hopes of being a mover and shaker with his scrying power, but he only gets people like Siegfried with major destinies once every few months at best, and the rest of the time is him doing stuff that’s way below his paygrade. Heck, maybe even include some gag where he has a sign out front where the very first rule is something like “DO NOT EVER ASK ME FOR THIS WEEK’S LOTTERY NUMBERS”?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, it's Ethan Becker's discord. I'll edit in an invitation here when I find it.

Edit: discord link here: https://discord.gg/eKD9hfy

My friend streams the sessions on his twitch page: http://www.twitch.tv/iamspacedad?sr=a

Totally free but tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Danica means "morning star" :rolleyes:

Eh, that's fair enough. Superheroes often have 'meaningful' names, after all. Still, I almost can't believe Star Power ended on such a wet fart. I guess actually having an ending puts it above Strong Female Protagonist, as low a bar as that is.

Heliotrope posted:

I feel like as a white cis het man, Mookie may not understand why other people might like characters who are not bound by the rules of society and act against them.

Absolutely this.

Honestly, I'm excited for this abbreviated look at original recipe Dominic Deegan. It'll be good for the ol' creative thinking to discuss just what went wrong with it.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 23, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Heliotrope posted:

Note that being a rebel is a "fantasy" and a "dream" and being lawful is an "ideal".

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Meanwhile in the present, we're still in molasses swamp.

This is the Legacy's first shift into weird gore, but it's still down in a slow and boring way. The blurring around those vines and scars is ridiculous,.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

FYI it's another 3 for 1 week.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

RIP Bubblegum Man :(

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

The Little Death posted:

FYI it's another 3 for 1 week.

Yeah I saw, but they're honestly so boring I didn't see the rush in posting 'em. Only thing of note is that Mookie gave up on handwriting the journal entries and just used a sans-serif font.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Long-term consequences to snapping into a Slim Jim.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, the stakes if DD had stayed roughly along that initial trajectory would have been really low, but... that wouldn’t have necessarily been a bad thing? Say he acts like a grump because he went off to wizard college with high hopes of being a mover and shaker with his scrying power, but he only gets people like Siegfried with major destinies once every few months at best, and the rest of the time is him doing stuff that’s way below his paygrade. Heck, maybe even include some gag where he has a sign out front where the very first rule is something like “DO NOT EVER ASK ME FOR THIS WEEK’S LOTTERY NUMBERS”?

There could've also easily been room for softer one-off character comics too for character building because the appeal of 'here's this jackass, watch him suffer' only lasts so long. Like Sterling Archer, for example, is an rear end in a top hat, but even he gets the odd moment of genuine emotional connection with people as the series goes by.

I was gonna type out an example sad story about a forgetful old widow or a jock who's really asking if he has any future at all when he asks about winning the big game but then I got distracted by the new update, specifically the second panel, and even more specifically the melting noodle man's upper lip.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheHan posted:

Yeah I saw, but they're honestly so boring I didn't see the rush in posting 'em. Only thing of note is that Mookie gave up on handwriting the journal entries and just used a sans-serif font.

How do you access them early anyway? I'm impatient.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How do you access them early anyway? I'm impatient.

Open the image itself. you can see the naming convention which is the strip number an underscore and then a date. Just change the strip number and change the date.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Pyrotoad posted:

There could've also easily been room for softer one-off character comics too for character building because the appeal of 'here's this jackass, watch him suffer' only lasts so long. Like Sterling Archer, for example, is an rear end in a top hat, but even he gets the odd moment of genuine emotional connection with people as the series goes by.

I was gonna type out an example sad story about a forgetful old widow or a jock who's really asking if he has any future at all when he asks about winning the big game but then I got distracted by the new update, specifically the second panel, and even more specifically the melting noodle man's upper lip.

Yeah, on thinking about it a bit more, I could see an actual plot starting up after establishing him as a grump with a load of wasted potential when his archmage mom invites him to some important social function, he initially blows her off, but changes his mind when he gets a particularly strong vision indicating that it would be a really good idea for him to attend. Like, he sees himself quite a bit better off financially, or someone assassinating the host, or something else that makes it clear that his life is going to significantly change if he attends.

And from there... You have so many different places you can take the story. Maybe what he saw doesn’t come to pass, which is extremely anomalous in-universe. Or he uses his advance knowledge to prevent the assassination, which kicks off the larger plot because he just screwed with destiny... You get the idea.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Little Death posted:

Open the image itself. you can see the naming convention which is the strip number an underscore and then a date. Just change the strip number and change the date.

Thanks... I think, considering what I just saw. Is Mookie creatively inspired now or just really depressed?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
What is going on with the weird puckered anus on Snout's back between his shoulder blades? Why is his undershirt getting sucked in there?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This would be weird and gory if it were at all well drawn but this is just torn paper.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

TheHan posted:

Meanwhile in the present, we're still in molasses swamp.

This is the Legacy's first shift into weird gore, but it's still down in a slow and boring way. The blurring around those vines and scars is ridiculous,.

His look in the last panel is less "A man's skin is being peeled off his body right in front of me" and more "The cat barfed on the floor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Caught up with the last 600 posts, I see snout has gone from knowing what to do to having a weird dream.