Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fartbox posted:

Nolan makes competent movies but like someone said, they all feel sterile as hell. TDK stood out a bit because a coked out Heath ledger pumped a lot of life into the movie

I think Nolan's style can stand out especially in a period where editing and shakeycam was making a lot of Hollywood movies turn out outright incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Why is his henchman named after a Canadian rock band?

*Tear runs down the face of Herman Hesse silently*

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tenet has big watch commercial energy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hakkesshu posted:

More than Ad Astra, possibly, but still not in the Bond league

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean every single one of his movies could be a cologne

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I forget, was there actually a romance between Catwoman and Alrightalrightalright? I thought there was at most mutual respect. Doesn't she not get sent back in spacetime through the hypercube tesseract or whatever?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The movie ends with him going back through the wormhole because he loves her (apparently nobody in the future society is interested in finding out what's going on with the whole wormhole situation.)

This doesn't sound right. I don't think there was any kind of implied romance between the two astronauts.

Plan A was to find a habitable planet and send people from earth there (which requires scientific findings from the mission). Plan B was to find a habitable planet and colonize it with embryos, letting humanity on earth die. They find out Plan A was never actually viable because the 'send people from earth there' part was never actually practical. McConaughey sacrifices himself so that Hathaway can do Plan B. But his 'sacrifice' allows him to fulfil the part of Plan A that involves saving the people from earth. Humanity is able to get that part of Plan A. The second part, the 'find a planet to live in', is left hanging. Presumably they don't know Hathaway survived.

In the end McConaughey goes to find Hathaway to fulfill the remainder of the plan: find a habitable planet so that all these people living on a space station can have a real home.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Aug 23, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gotta love Miller's planet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Why does an ancient evil alien have a latin symbol carved into his chest?

On his planet it means die, everybody, DIE!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Samovar posted:

*Tear runs down the face of Herman Hesse silently*

Halt die Fresse, Hermann Hesse!

should have been the title of a Steppenwolf song.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Get ready boys, we'll be watching Batman in the year 3091

or 4k21

or 5k51

or

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

or 4k21

or 5k51

or

Eleventh of October, obvi.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lobok posted:

On his planet it means die, everybody, DIE!

Nobody who speaks Apokolips-ian could be an evil man!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan Smithee posted:

or 4k21

or 5k51

or

The suits saw what happened with the New Mutants and decided not to risk making a promise they'd have to walk back.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

The suits saw what happened with the New Mutants and decided not to risk making a promise they'd have to walk back.

5 DAYS.

I never thought I'd live to see the day *wipes a single tear away*

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Laughing Zealot posted:

5 DAYS.

I never thought I'd live to see the day *wipes a single tear away*

If my drive-in gets it I'll definitely watch it. What the hell else am I gonna watch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For the Nolan chat, this is a pretty in-depth discussion of his style (though you do have to put up with the talk-show format):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92uAesOimQ&t=199s

TL;DW: Nolan shoots in a very (well lit and constructed) functional style akin to a documentary. It allows his films to convey information easily and without thinking about the filming process/language or without CG assistance.

My implication of that assessment is that simplicity is why so many people enjoy Nolan’s movies. They’re easy to watch and understand (from a style perspective) because they aren’t asking more of the audience and is absolutely necessary.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 23, 2020

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
When I saw Dunkirk the film wasn't aligned properly or something so the sound kept popping in and out and changing in volume. But very nice colors.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jesus, why can't Nolan up the volume track with the dialogue on it? If a movie costs 150 million when it's a modest picture then surely they spend a dime on not muffling the actors with imaginary jock-straps. Just because it's intentional doesn't make it good.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean every single one of his movies could be a cologne

Eau de Batman Begins

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Jesus, why can't Nolan up the volume track with the dialogue on it? If a movie costs 150 million when it's a modest picture then surely they spend a dime on not muffling the actors with imaginary jock-straps. Just because it's intentional doesn't make it good.

The dialog is just a sound effect, maaan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/immolations/status/1297343184742342663?s=21

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot to unpack here but I just have to highlight the fact that Seagal seems to magically lose 50 kg when the two are shown in shillouette, almost as if it's not really him. :thunk:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

AceOfFlames posted:

There's a lot to unpack here but I just have to highlight the fact that Seagal seems to magically lose 50 kg when the two are shown in shillouette, almost as if it's not really him. :thunk:

Keep following the Twitter thread to see the "twist" of this movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Keep following the Twitter thread to see the "twist" of this movie.

https://twitter.com/andrewjlavigne/status/1297428664108318721?s=20

:lmao:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

"All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you want to look, I gently caress like you want to gently caress. I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways your are not."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Suddenly there was no Steven Seagal.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Suddenly there was no Steven Seagal.

No, John. You are the Seagal.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is that the same roof set where John Voigt kung-fu fought against a cartoon dog? I get similar vibes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

wyoming posted:

"All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you want to look, I gently caress like you want to gently caress. I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways your are not."

I highly recommend the Steven Seagal episodes of Behind the Bastards because they’re hilarious and lead me to believe Seagal would see this and immediately assume it was unironic.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That twist is pretty unbelievable as I doubt that Seagal would sign off on a movie where he doesn't exist.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I'm excited for the Snyder's cut, as I still haven't seen JL on accounts of it being trash, so it would be interesting to see the Grownup Cut with fresh eyes.
Let's be honest though, it's still going to be bad, right?

Monglo fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 24, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Monglo posted:

There's no way it's good lol

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It looks pretty great!

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I really liked the Prestige, but the following Nolans never really captured that same feeling for me.

On the other hand, Nolan has my undying loyalty for making sure Michael Caine never goes unemployed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Monglo posted:

I'm excited for the Snyder's cut, as I still haven't seen JL on accounts of it being trash, so it would be interesting to see the Grownup Cut with fresh eyes.

Absolutely.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hallelujah!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snyder Cut: 30 minutes longer because of MORE speedramping

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

wyoming posted:

No, John. You are the Seagal.

*immediately kills self*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that twist has been done

if it turned out he was a Seagull that would have been....different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Or a girl that just really likes the ocean.