Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, like I said, I think part of that is just how most of the Stand Users are kids/teens with superpowers and no responsibility. Hazamada having violent thoughts about what he wants to do to people who make fun of him probably wouldn't be nearly as damaging if he didn't have the means to actually carry out his desires undetected. You do have very weird cases like Rohan, where he becomes almost a different person entirely for his next appearance, but it is what it is.

Yukako probably wouldn't have been much different without the hair powers, though. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have sorta mixed feelings on part 4. I loved the lower-stakes setting and more relaxed pace, especially since I'm now making my way through part 5, which does not seem like it's ever going to stop to catch its breath, but I was also really bothered by the odd color scheme and the yellow sky, and how every character who wasn't Koichi (and the chef dude, he was cool) was a deranged lunatic. Also compared to part 5 which is in Bella Italia and has more grounded and reasonable characters despite being actively devoted to ultraviolence.

I also miss the beefcake patrol. There's nothing wrong with moving away from that, but guys averaging a height of 195cm and the chest of a linebacker was kind of a JoJo thing.

The twink era at this point has lasted longer than the beedcake era, so the beefcake designs are really the outlier

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I have sorta mixed feelings on part 4. I loved the lower-stakes setting and more relaxed pace, especially since I'm now making my way through part 5, which does not seem like it's ever going to stop to catch its breath, but I was also really bothered by the odd color scheme and the yellow sky, and how every character who wasn't Koichi (and the chef dude, he was cool) was a deranged lunatic. Also compared to part 5 which is in Bella Italia and has more grounded and reasonable characters despite being actively devoted to ultraviolence.

I also miss the beefcake patrol. There's nothing wrong with moving away from that, but guys averaging a height of 195cm and the chest of a linebacker was kind of a JoJo thing.

That was a Fist of the North Star thing, really, before Araki completely found his own voice

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the thing to realize is that at this point jojo as a series is way more defined by parts 4-8 than it is the ones before that. 3 clings to relevance by being a popular thing back when it was coming out, but even it's kind of off by itself given how much of a mess it kind of is at times. 4 is when araki starts to work out just what the gently caress he wants stands to be. if you're big on 4 then congratulations, cuz the rest of the series kind of keys off of similar things going forward.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Beamed posted:

Just an update since I persisted past Stardust Crusaders into Part 4.

Holy poo poo Part 4 is so loving good. I love Josuke and I love all the random friends he keeps making and how all the friends remain major characters and Shigekiyo and AHH. this is legitimately as good as the series highs from part 1 and 2. thanks for telling me to stick with it. But honest question: Why is Stardust Crusaders the one everyone talks about?

It was the early series that got the most attraction, by breaking the series out into it's own thing with the concept of stands, and before the David Pro anime adaptations it was the part that got the most outside media influence that also spread to the west (the arcade fighter and the OVAs were big in giving jjba a cult following in the west at the time. There are likely other factors too like the adventure aspect and Jotaro being Japanese compared to the previous jojos.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iirc the main thing about why Stardust Crusaders is so popular is that at the time, there was really nothing like it, and a lot of shounen especially was embracing the tower of power levels, tournament arc style of storytelling while SC instead embraced a power plateau where it was less about kicking the asses of progressively stronger dudes, and more encountering weirder and weirder fight puzzles. Its definitely the part that’s aged the worst, though, 1 and 2 have looped around to being retro and 4 on are still pretty fresh and unique even now, but 3 feeling out its legs plus 30 years of imitators hammering its best and worst aspects into the ground have really kinda soured it to the modern viewer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it doesn't help that the part 3 anime was extended into two full seasons despite literally being shorter than part 4. there's a lot of dead time going on in it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I bounced off part 1 real hard and skipped straight to Stardust Crusaders since it's what I heard everyone mention and got totally hooked. Part 4 is overall better but Part 3 is my favorite.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

I bounced off part 1 real hard and skipped straight to Stardust Crusaders since it's what I heard everyone mention and got totally hooked. Part 4 is overall better but Part 3 is my favorite.

What the gently caress? Skipping part 2 is some wack-rear end bullshit

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't believe they made a live-action Jojo movie and called it "Chapter 1". That's Divergent levels of franchise dreaming. I strongly doubt there'll be a Chapter 2.

I don't think a direct adaptation of Jojo can work for much the same reason The Last Airbender flopped. It works because it's a serialized cartoon. It can afford to be lax and not overly grounded in reality. The appeal is in the monster-of-the-week stuff which takes up 90 percent of the running time. The overarching plot of 3-6 can be summed in a page each.

You could make a movie with the same sense of humour and puzzle-fight tendency of Jojo, but it would have to be an original story that's meant to be a three-act/ hundred-minute story.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don’t know how you can say SC aged the worst when Part 2 has Literally Everything about von Stroheim.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't believe they made a live-action Jojo movie and called it "Chapter 1". That's Divergent levels of franchise dreaming. I strongly doubt there'll be a Chapter 2.

I don't think a direct adaptation of Jojo can work for much the same reason The Last Airbender flopped. It works because it's a serialized cartoon. It can afford to be lax and not overly grounded in reality. The appeal is in the monster-of-the-week stuff which takes up 90 percent of the running time. The overarching plot of 3-6 can be summed in a page each.

You could make a movie with the same sense of humour and puzzle-fight tendency of Jojo, but it would have to be an original story that's meant to be a three-act/ hundred-minute story.

Yeah right now i'm trying to figure how the hell you can fit stardust into one and a half hours.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Regalingualius posted:

I don’t know how you can say SC aged the worst when Part 2 has Literally Everything about von Stroheim.

i kind of dislike a lot of aspects about part 2 so i generally just don't talk about it, myself :shobon:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah right now i'm trying to figure how the hell you can fit stardust into one and a half hours.

trim it down to the egyptian villa fights, combining both darbies

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

What's bad about him

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Regalingualius posted:

"Aged poorly" means something has gotten worse or less acceptable since the time it was produced. Unless Battle Tendency was written 80 years ago, I don't think that applies.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

Wheel of Fortune is an incredibly underrated fight.

I think this was the fight that made me fall in love with the series, but it got overshadowed by weirder things later. Also I think the whole "Haha Part 3 is over" joke is probably the least funny gag in Jojo

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Regalingualius posted:

Part 2 :allears:

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

i thought it was chapter 1 because it was literally only the first arc of DiU

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Terror Sweat posted:

What's bad about him

Hes a nazi hth

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I kind of wish his death had been revised to something fittingly undignified, like “drowned in a latrine pit”.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I like the way BT handles Stroheim. His interests just happen to align with those of the main characters because the bad guys want to destroy Nazi Germany along with everywhere else. A suitably wacky idea for the series Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

basically the nazis find a biologically superior master race and don't like the idea it isn't them

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I maintain that Part 5 did its general plot better than Part 3 by giving the cast little goals to shoot towards on the final battle, though Part 3 had a lot more breaks and fun moments to help endear the cast to the viewer.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tunicate posted:

basically the nazis find a biologically superior master race and don't like the idea it isn't them

The irony is a bit clearer in the manga, where the narrator mentions that the Nazis believed that Germans were "more evolved" than other people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Setting aside the irony, you still have the situation where Stroheim is introduced massacring and draining the blood of a small village who shifts first into "dangerous, unwelcome ally" and then to "he may be a jerk, but he fights with us (hurray)!"

I like part 2 quite a bit, but that ain't exactly hot.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Takashi Miike movie was good, it just wasn't fabulous enough. Needed to lean into more posing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Takashi miike makes two kinds of movies, ones where he is dead set on making something absolutely loving insane and memorable and one where he’s just not giving a poo poo, collecting a pay check and fulfilling an obligation so he can get back to making the first kind.

His JJBA movie was, sadly, the second kind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Setting aside the irony, you still have the situation where Stroheim is introduced massacring and draining the blood of a small village who shifts first into "dangerous, unwelcome ally" and then to "he may be a jerk, but he fights with us (hurray)!"

I like part 2 quite a bit, but that ain't exactly hot.

I dunno, I think there's something funny about Stroheim loudly proclaiming that Germans are the best before managing to gently caress things up for everyone for the twentieth time. I think the only time he ever actually manages to do something that is helpful without immediately undercutting himself is saving Joseph from Kars in the final battle. And that was after he already helped Kars become the Ultimate Lifeform.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i would be more willing to believe that stroheim was possibly a joke at the expense of the nazis if there wasn't the whole tragic 'mark the friendly nazi' segment where we're supposed to feel sad that he gets half-vaporized

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Right, or how the Animal House ending basically lauded Stroheim for his final stand in Stalingrad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like a lot of the nazi stuff in part 2 is just Araki being excited about indiana jones

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

One of the best gags in Part 2 is when an obviously evil ancient creature with demonic and vampiric features awakens, then possess and kills a bunch of people (with body-horror involved) and Joseph is like "Wait wait, he has only killed nazis so far, right? He might actually be a swell guy".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He does have a point. :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean “total creep who abuses people with body horror crimes” is how 90% of JoJo party members are introduced, and only part 3 had the flesh bugs as an excuse. All Santviento had actually done before then was wake up in a cell in an armed compound and killed those who fired guns at him.

Even if it weren’t just nazis he’d killed, asking him to stop and talk was very much the right response.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Von Stroheim could have been problematic if the show genuinely ever glorified him, but even during the Stunning Reveal that He's Actually Alive and a Robot Nazi Now, he was portrayed somewhat as menacing (and goofy).

God I want to rewatch Part 2 now.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Do it. Part 2 is always good

Joseph crawling away from Wamuu kills me every time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Joseph is literally a looney tunes character

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

goblin week posted:

Act 2 was better in every way and Koichi got robbed.
I thought this doesn't happen until Part 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bell_ posted:

I thought this doesn't happen until Part 5

nah, Echoes evolves into Act 3 in the fight with Sheer Heart Attack (which really should have been named Don’t Stop Me Now considering) for like no reason iirc. I haven’t watched Part 5 yet but I’ve seen clips of him using Act 2 for recon poo poo, so idk what the gently caress is going on with it.