Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Black Griffon posted:

Gotta admit I'm a little befuddled too. From what we know, would a 3070 fit in this?
https://www.komplett.no/product/778362?noredirect=true

I think all the huge size numbers are for the 3090 specifically, the 3070 is probably going to be more normal sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Black Griffon posted:

Gotta admit I'm a little befuddled too. From what we know, would a 3070 fit in this?
https://www.komplett.no/product/778362?noredirect=true

If the leaks are right, the 3070 is the same dimension as 1080ti so 267mm long, which should be fine for that case. The image on that site itself are using a pair of cards roughly of the same size.
We should wait for the actual announcement before making any buying decisions.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No I already pre-ordered the 3069 on a grey market site, on the off-chance that nVidia will release a meme card this generation

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

shrike82 posted:

The rumors are coalescing around the 3090 being redlined to destroy any AMD card but at the cost of people fitting their setup around it...
I suspect most people are going to be happy with a 3080 (or 3080 Ti if they can wait)

So a 3080ti is definitely coming? I imagine with the current performance rumors and price differential between the 3080 and 3090 it would put the Ti at somewhere around 35% more powerful than a 2080ti for the low low price of $1100?

Also I thought my 750w PSU was already overkill, but yeesh.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

There might not even be a 3080ti, it's looking like that's been rebranded to the 3090, and the Titan Ampere itself is an even more power-hungry galaxy-devouring behemoth.

Of course if the price points are true, there is a significant gap between the 3080 and the 3090, and any potential ti would slot in neatly between the two.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think at this point if the pricing + power rumors are true then a 3090 is out of my league. I'm not even sure if that thing will fit in my case with the fuckoff Noctua D15 heatsink in place.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I think at this point if the pricing + power rumors are true then a 3090 is out of my league. I'm not even sure if that thing will fit in my case with the fuckoff Noctua D15 heatsink in place.

Not sure why the D15 would matter, the added size is extra length towards the front of the case and extra thickness over the other PCIe slots. It doesn't appear to extend any further up towards the CPU.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's hard to tell, I was just going off this article where the card does appear to have some extra thickness moving up toward the CPU. Not enough to bump the heatsink but maybe enough to mess with the airflow. I could be wrong though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'd assume Nvidia would make a GPU that's compatible with the best CPU cooler of all time.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ufarn posted:

I'd assume Nvidia would make a GPU that's compatible with the best CPU cooler of all time.

Noctua probably isn't even on their radar lmao

Worst case is to swap in a D15S, which is offset away from the PCIe slots.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

smol

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1297518250708938752

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Less mad at the 12 pin now if it's reducing my exposed cables

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
angry about my tiny pinout

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

pinout noir

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

angry about my tiny pinout

This is highly unsettling

I don't know if I did the joke right I don't really know anything about this stuff

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

my massive pinout causes sag unless I lie horizontally? I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing here.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

my massive pinout causes sag unless I lie horizontally? I don't know. I don't know what I'm doing here.
please sleeve it before plugging it in

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Black Griffon posted:

nobody does, you just feel your way into the receptacle

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

What a twist

That's a lot smaller than I was imagining

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What a twist

That's a lot smaller than I was imagining

Same. Was expecting the same size as 2x6pin and the real difference just being the connector in some stupid proprietary cash grab.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
So i started to gently caress around with afterburner fan settings and i reduced my rx570 temperature from 70°c to 55° playing arkham knight at full settings. thats possible or im reading something wrong?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

No Nvidia this is the wrong direction for us ITX compact PC builders.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zeta Acosta posted:

So i started to gently caress around with afterburner fan settings and i reduced my rx570 temperature from 70°c to 55° playing arkham knight at full settings. thats possible or im reading something wrong?

If it's just the fan settings that you changed, do you notice them being any louder? Because fan settings don't have anything to do with its ability to read temps correctly.

Also, most Radeon cards can be thought of as "pre-overvolted to hell for your convenience." You can almost certainly scale back the power target/voltage a little with minimal to no impact in performance and drop temps that way.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

eggyolk posted:

I'm waiting to see what's on the back of those boards. If it's just a generic heat issue from a big ol' die, then the shorter PCBs might actually be a great thing for compact builders who can slap an AIO/block on them. I'm a little concerned about the possibility that the GDDR6X runs super hot and would take active cooling, though--just using stick-on aluminum sinks on past cards has worked fine for me, and I'd like it to stay that way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

eggyolk posted:

It seriously took my hope of doing a small form factor PC out back and old yellered it.

Making a desktop with an integrated fold-up screen and keyboard in a Pelican case is looking better and better though.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

eggyolk posted:

Eh, my Fractal R5 is ready and willing for the Magnum GPU

Though the Noctua cooler doesn’t leave much space

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Well looks like a new video card will cut my oil use this winter. Electric heat for my office!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Back when I upgraded to my current system, I wanted a case big enough to handle a 140x420MM top mount radiator because I was going full custom loop again after using AIOs for several years, thus I cut the 5.25" bay out of a Corsair Obsidian 750D.

A 3090 is an option, but I'm debating if I'd wait for one with a full cover block already installed (MSI Sea Hawk EK variant) which usually takes ~2-3 months to show up after the initial launch, or if I will once again go the route of buying the GPU and EK full cover block separately to avoid :catdrugs: RGB and get the Copper+Acetal that matches what is already present in my loop.

I've also toyed with the thought of the EVGA full cover block, but the last few times I've checked it was always more expensive than buying an EK block and the air cooled version of the same card separately.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
A modern airflow case like the updated h500 (fantastic case) is going to seat the 3090 with 4-6 inches to spare and they're like 100 bucks. This seems like the least of your worries if you're buying a $1400+ GPU, especially because you're going to want that airflow.

The PSU thing is kind of funny though. People got upset in the PC parts thread when I got a 1000w seasonic titanium last month (you'll never use that power! Why!!!) but this is exactly why it's a decent investment. You use a PSU for several years, the PSU is fully warrantied for 12 years, the amortized cost of buying a good one is extremely worth it for a higher end setup and future headroom even if this card wasn't coming out in a few days. Also, the titanium power savings do add up over the full life of the unit especially if you live in a high electricity cost area.

Right now the biggest question is what the gently caress is up with the Titan. As Zed said (and the rumors have continually pointed to) it seems like either a replacement for the 3080Ti, or a new higher gaming tier. It doesn't seem like it's for compute in the same way the Titans have been. The specs line it up as basically just a steroid-laced gaming unit with mega ram. I don't know where that leaves the titan.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ufarn posted:

The 3090 is a real bargain: just throw out your ITX case and 650W PSU on top of the price of a new GPU.

At least there's an opportunity for people to get those two on the cheap, perhaps with an ITX mobo thrown in, from people who probably deserve their own tax bracket.

This has what has me "chilly" on 30xx cards at the moment.

DrDork posted:

I'm waiting to see what's on the back of those boards. If it's just a generic heat issue from a big ol' die, then the shorter PCBs might actually be a great thing for compact builders who can slap an AIO/block on them. I'm a little concerned about the possibility that the GDDR6X runs super hot and would take active cooling, though--just using stick-on aluminum sinks on past cards has worked fine for me, and I'd like it to stay that way.

This is really the only chance that I could have to use the higher tier cards, and there still stands a question about that 10-ish mm bit coming off the side of the bracket. Assuming the render is true and the PCB is actually the width of the bracket, I'll be fine, but if there's PCB extending that high I'm boned.

Might be looking for firesale 20xx in the coming months depending what we see.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I really, really wouldn't infer anything about the specifics of the mid and lower tier cards from the 3090.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

DrDork posted:

No one's "cold" on the 30-series right now. Some people aren't happy with the pricing that's been rumored, but all that'll end up meaning in most cases is that they'll buy one step down to what they've been accustomed to. They'll still buy something. It's not like the 20-series launch where a lot of people just didn't see a reason to upgrade to anything.

:shrug: Speak for yourself, I guess.

The most plausible scenario right now seems to be:

- The absolute top-end "price is no object" tier gets a substantial boost in both price and performance. Important if you're chasing the 4k high refresh rate dragon and have money to burn in 2020, but that's not a lot of people

- Price/performance through the rest of the range improves a bit but not dramatically. Someone who's unhappy with their current performance and thinking about buying might go for it; whatever the 3060 ends up looking like, it'll be a big boost for the person who's been holding on to a 970. But, if their general attitude towards their current system is "eh, my current card is mostly OK, and the 2000-series doesn't give me enough of a boost that I want to spend the money," then the 3000-series isn't likely to present a much bigger case

- Features like raytracing and DLSS move down the stack into lower-priced products. With some of the DLSS 2.0 results at lower resolutions, this could be a long-term game changer - but right now DLSS 2.0 is only supported by a tiny handful of titles. It's not a super compelling reason to upgrade yet

Meanwhile, the one big-name/big-graphics release that might drive upgrades is Cyberpunk 2077, which isn't going to hit its release date for months, and has already seen several delays. It's also targeting XB1/PS4, so odds are it'll scale well onto lower-end hardware.

People will continue to upgrade, but presenting it as "everybody's going to buy something" is really overestimating how much people will be driven to upgrade what they've got.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The other compelling reason to upgrade in the near future is that consoles are entering a new generation and 20XX series cards won't completely blow everything away anymore for the PC port.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

The absolute top-end "price is no object" tier gets a substantial boost in both price and performance. Important if you're chasing the 4k high refresh rate dragon and have money to burn in 2020, but that's not a lot of people

- Price/performance through the rest of the range improves a bit but not dramatically. Someone who's unhappy with their current performance and thinking about buying might go for it; whatever the 3060 ends up looking like, it'll be a big boost for the person who's been holding on to a 970. But, if their general attitude towards their current system is "eh, my current card is mostly OK, and the 2000-series doesn't give me enough of a boost that I want to spend the money," then the 3000-series isn't likely to present a much bigger case

- Features like raytracing and DLSS move down the stack into lower-priced products. With some of the DLSS 2.0 results at lower resolutions, this could be a long-term game changer - but right now DLSS 2.0 is only supported by a tiny handful of titles. It's not a super compelling reason to upgrade yet

It's actually not a substantial price increase for the top end. The 2080Ti was $1200 minimum, and we're being quoted $1299 minimum with FE bump to $1399. That's immaterial for that specific market, and the conditions for that market are actually better than ever for multiple reasons. It's possible that prices might settle higher, but we will have to see. In any case the point remains that the top market doesn't care.

Re: price/perf through the rest of the range, there's basically no reliable data on price/performance, especially for anything below a 3080, so I would definitely hold off on that assessment. Please tell me you're not relying on that "comprehensive benchmark" image where all the cards are supposedly compared because that is insanely fake.

And re: DLSS2 I respectfully disagree. I get that people were burned on DLSS1.0 but only intensive titles need DLSS, not every title. Nvidia is going to be reaching out to everybody to get DLSS in their game, and they have way more impetus to do that then they ever have. Who is making a GPU intensive game in 2020+ and doesn't want an absolute shitload of free performance? I get your reluctance but DLSS is the most magical single technology in... honestly I don't even know what the last comparable tech is. This thing is fully happening.

Sure you have titles like Horizon where they seemingly rejected DLSS on purpose because AMD was sponsoring it, but saying that it bit them in the rear end is an understatement. That game would have been received completely differently if it had the headroom of DLSS. If anything it's a major warning to publishers to include that poo poo, especially when Death Stranding released at the same time and ran on a potato as long as it had DLSS.

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 23, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The consoles aren't going to be targeting 1080p30 either. Their refresh doesn't change the math on pixel shading, the 2XXX aren't about to become less performant unless we see a bunch of AMD specific optimizations, so unless you're a real loathsome type that can't stand the idea that a console can rival your computer your GPU needs are still going to be dictated by your monitor.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

DrDork posted:

Graphics memory doesn't get very warm on GPUs. GDDR6X is probably 1.35v like GDDR6 and GDDR5X before it.

Regarding DLSS chat.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/1296821256139005952?s=20

Riflen fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 23, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Riflen posted:

Graphics memory doesn't get very warm on GPUs. GDDR6X is probably 1.35v like GDDR6 and GDDR5X before it.

Yeah, I'd think that you're right, but that's been one of the purported reasons for the big gently caress-off cooler design we've seen so far. Obviously we'll have to wait to see what it really turns out to be. I think "we had to juice this new VRAM enough that it now actually needs a bit of cooling" is more likely than "lol we slapped an entire co-processor on the backside of the card where cooling it without running into installation issues is a total bitch," at least.

Space Gopher posted:

:shrug: Speak for yourself, I guess.

Obviously not everyone is going to rush out and buy a new GPU, just like with any generation--you're putting words in my mouth. I am saying, however, that from everything we've seen so far about the 30-series it sounds like performance will be quite good, it adds new feature sets that are both useful and that people have been asking for for a while (*cough* HDMI 2.1 *cough*), etc. So unlike the 20-series where even prior to launch there was a lot of hesitancy because it just didn't seem to be moving the needle very much in terms of performance--eg, "is there a point of buying something at all?"--we're now instead talking about various price brackets and which card we're going to be able to afford--which card to buy. Quite a different attitude.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 23, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The consoles aren’t going to necessitate upgrades in the near future - I don’t see a need to buy Ampere this year because of them. The interesting games are going to be console exclusives anyway (e.g., Demons Soul) and anything that’s likely to flex RTX/DLSS is still a ways off. For CP2077, people keep forgetting that it’s built to run on 7 year old consoles and will not have next gen bells and whistles until it’s patched next year.

DLSS is cool but look at how individual games supporting it is still a noteworthy affair.

I’d wait for the dust to settle around Ampere especially FE versus AIB before buying. And if you really feel a need to spend money on gadgets, get a nice HDMI2.1 TV and a PS5 this holiday season.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I guess i got lucky that I was forced to upgrade to a 1000w PSU earlier this year. I changed out most of the parts in my PC except for the GPU since I was waiting for the 3000 series, and my old 650W PSU didn't have another modular slot for the extra 8 pin needed for the 3900x on the mobo. Due to it being early in the pandemic, it was real hard to find PSUs, so I had to go with whatever best buy had that was gold. 1000w G+ it was. Maybe the 3090 will make my PSU efficient again. :v:

I'm changing out cases as well for airflow. My old R5 silent just wasn't enough airflow for the heat I'm expecting, so the p600s should let me swap between silent/airflow as needed since i'm filling it with 140mm fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

People should also keep an eye out on whether the boards come out on Samsung 8nm and run hot, that’s another reason to wait for a 7nm Super respin.