Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

loving Maneo, man... :kheldragar:

Maneo is the hero we can relate to the most.

Doing a crazy rear end stunt because we wanted to impress a girl who has a nice rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Gobbeldygook posted:

No, the books really improved after book 4 (ie after where the show is). Book 5 is when they finally gave the crew personalities and back stories, much of which was incorporated into the earlier seasons of the TV show.

Are you reading the novellas too?

Oh yeah. Everything in order of publishing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Holden is basically the Jon Snow character of the series wandering around while all the other characters make fun of his mistakes and bad leadership decisions.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Any word on the Cas Anvar thing? Shouldn't take that long for an investigator to reach out to people on Twitter and look at screenshots of texts and DMs...

Miller woulda wrapped this up in a week, tops...

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

etalian posted:

Holden is basically the Jon Snow character of the series wandering around while all the other characters make fun of his mistakes and bad leadership decisions.

Yeah but to be fair he's early GoT naive Jon Snow, not season 8 Jon Snow.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
turns out Ceres may not need that water after all.

https://twitter.com/guardianscience/status/1292911857267650560?s=20

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

This happens to just about every piece of scifi.

If it didn't they'd be a prophet, or they didn't make any bold technology.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Inners stole the water already

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I think the Nestle CEO wants to own all the water in Bolivia or something. Bet he'd gobble up everything on Ceres in a second.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Literally wants to own the rainwater.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Good news if you liked seeing Jared Harris in a sci-fi TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gdm40MPYnw

Bad news if you liked seeing him in The Expanse probably.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I think the Nestle CEO wants to own all the water in Bolivia or something. Bet he'd gobble up everything on Ceres in a second.

How do you think Ceres got cored out for habitation in the first place?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ty posted on twitter that they're finishing up season 5 postproduction, so it seems like we're getting it on schedule. But assuming they renew I'm guessing season 6 is 2022 at best.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Grand Fromage posted:

Ty posted on twitter that they're finishing up season 5 postproduction, so it seems like we're getting it on schedule. But assuming they renew I'm guessing season 6 is 2022 at best.

Hopefully some other show will fill the 2021 void and miss their 2020 season. I have a feeling we're going to see animation get really really popular. Trailer Park Boys transitioned ahead of the curve! (so they could bring a dead actor back for some reason, let Mr Lahey die already).

for animated scifi, we have lower decks and that's it right now?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If Netflix et al aren’t dumping their billions into animation right now we will all be getting into re-runs for a year or two...

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If Netflix et al aren’t dumping their billions into animation right now we will all be getting into re-runs for a year or two...

Filming has been restarted in Canada for a while, which is where the Expanse was filmed (at least, a lot of it was in Toronto), so I wouldn't go that far.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

Good news if you liked seeing Jared Harris in a sci-fi TV show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gdm40MPYnw

Bad news if you liked seeing him in The Expanse probably.
Holy poo poo, I had no idea they were doing a Foundation TV series. Jared Harris is going to be amazing in the role they cast him in. That's amazing.

And I would just be hyped if it had just been a trailer. What the gently caress was that random guy at the beginning saying about Apple? Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this "trailer," because that one sentence was the most jarring bit of anti-hype I have ever experienced and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Got a friend who does computer animation professionally. He has been slammed with work for months, in typically non-crunchy times. Definitely a lot of animated stuff coming down the pipe.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

And I would just be hyped if it had just been a trailer. What the gently caress was that random guy at the beginning saying about Apple? Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this "trailer," because that one sentence was the most jarring bit of anti-hype I have ever experienced and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Just throwing in a bit of vague, generic praise for Apple since they're bankrolling it as an Apple TV exclusive title

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Look at how excited people got over Netflix licensing Avatar: the Last Airbender. Tons of social media buzz.

The cheapest content they could create would probably be dubbing existing foreign TV shows/movies like Dark.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Once again anime wins, suck it 3d waifu failures

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Personally I'd be down for a bit of an animation revolution. I really love this show, but even with its huge budget a lot of it feels toned down from the books to fit in with the realities of set construction and paying extras. Sci Fi/Fantasy adaptations in general could be really cool if animated well, but American TV still seems to view animation as being fundamentally for kids or stoned college age folks. I'm not saying that season 6 should be an anime (although I'm not NOT saying that), but any fiction property with a large scale and cast like this, game of thrones, wheel of time, whatever would be really cool to see animated rather than pared down to fit with real life tv production constraints.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Gobbeldygook posted:

Look at how excited people got over Netflix licensing Avatar: the Last Airbender. Tons of social media buzz.

The cheapest content they could create would probably be dubbing existing foreign TV shows/movies like Dark.

Afaik a lot of foreign-language content on Netflix isn't just stuff they've licensed and dubbed, but actual original, Netflix-financed content for that language that they're just making accessible in english as well by dubbing it.

Iirc at least multiple EU countries stipulated that some percentage of Netflix content needed to be locally produced in order for Netflix to get the kind of market access there that they have now, in order to prevent local TV production industries from being killed off as Netflix grabs market share from local TV channels.

So just grabbing already-made foreign shows might not be as easy as imagined.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Gobbeldygook posted:

They already have dubs of Dark, and anyways, why would you want to watch a dub when the dialogue is so obviously German? :confused:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Filming has been restarted in Canada for a while, which is where the Expanse was filmed (at least, a lot of it was in Toronto), so I wouldn't go that far.

Yeah, luckily everywhere that isn't America/Russia/Brazil should be able to resume normal filming soon...

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Eiba posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea they were doing a Foundation TV series. Jared Harris is going to be amazing in the role they cast him in. That's amazing.

:jerkbag:

Gotta keep the corporate overlords happy...

Slashrat posted:

Afaik a lot of foreign-language content on Netflix isn't just stuff they've licensed and dubbed, but actual original, Netflix-financed content for that language that they're just making accessible in english as well by dubbing it.

Iirc at least multiple EU countries stipulated that some percentage of Netflix content needed to be locally produced in order for Netflix to get the kind of market access there that they have now, in order to prevent local TV production industries from being killed off as Netflix grabs market share from local TV channels.

So just grabbing already-made foreign shows might not be as easy as imagined.

"Into the Night" caught me by surprise- really enjoyed that one.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"Into the Night" caught me by surprise- really enjoyed that one.

It was great see a disaster themed series in which the people were actually adaptable and mature for how they approached the problems that come during the series.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Eiba posted:

Thinking on this more: :ironicat: that Apple became the big brother from their 1984 ad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Eiba posted:

This video was shown at Apple’s WWDC 2020 event. They were promoting their streaming service Apple TV+ with this first-look promotional video.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Eiba posted:

Yeah, but David S. Goyer. Is that even a good thing?

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Seems like every rocky dwarf body is theorized to have a sub-surface ocean these days. Ganymede too, along with Europa and Enceladus, maybe Triton and Callisto, heck, Pluto too might have a liquid water layer. Maaaybe, but I'll believe it when we actually get there with a drill rig.

Ugh, clock is ticking for season 5! oh yeah baby.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

gfarrell80 posted:

Seems like every rocky dwarf body is theorized to have a sub-surface ocean these days. Ganymede too, along with Europa and Enceladus, maybe Triton and Callisto, heck, Pluto too might have a liquid water layer. Maaaybe, but I'll believe it when we actually get there with a drill rig.

Have they said when it might start?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Have they said when it might start?

I think they just mentioned post-production finishing up, so hopefully in a couple months?

gfarrell80 posted:

A big component for life seems to be an orbital system which creates enough pressure in the planetary body to keep the core hot, so Pluto is a good candidate!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ty said post production is pretty much done and Shoreh posted about finishing her ADR for the season. I'm guessing it'll be out in December like last time.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

Ty said post production is pretty much done and Shoreh posted about finishing her ADR for the season. I'm guessing it'll be out in December like last time.

Makes sense.

Also a good idea for Amazon to let season 2 of The Boys wrap up before premiering a new season of something.

I wonder if they'll roll out The Expanse the same way- release the first few episodes all at once and then the rest weekly.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
All of season 4 was released in its entirety on day one, iirc? I remember binging through it over a couple of days.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Slashrat posted:

All of season 4 was released in its entirety on day one, iirc? I remember binging through it over a couple of days.

Yeah it was, the full season dropped on 12/12 of last year.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have to wonder whether there are wild spiders, flies, mosquitoes and other insects floating around on space stations like ceres or tyco, and in large space ships.

what the hell does a spiderweb look like in zero-g? and where is a good location for a spider to set up a web?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

We know that Ganymede has some insect life, likely some brought intentionally for the plants and some that hitched a ride. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find roaches and stuff that eats roaches on any station out there. Wonder what low-g development does to spiders, do they get all elongated too?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

double nine posted:

I have to wonder whether there are wild spiders, flies, mosquitoes and other insects floating around on space stations like ceres or tyco, and in large space ships.

what the hell does a spiderweb look like in zero-g? and where is a good location for a spider to set up a web?

Turns out spiderwebs don't look much different in space, but the flies fly even more like they are drunk than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

T-man posted:

Inners stole the water already

I think that's the real answer, right? Expanse-Ceres did used to be covered in a hundred km of ice or whatever, it just all got stolen already and dumped on Mars by the time the show is set and all that's left is the hollowed out rocky core.