Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
And has so many hard to reach places that need swabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Come And See posted:

Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution is not very good (OG english dub 4evar) but the ending song is legit fantastic and far better than the movie deserves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3ykA1ZUC1Y

drat, you weren't kidding o_0

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

well boys, looks like we're at the home stretch. i just finished up the day of black sun, and now one season (or the second half of the last season) is left. with the exception of the season finale and a few episodes here and there, i personally thought it was pretty weak, mostly cause of far too many filler episodes. but i've always felt that way so that's not new. the second half though, definitely much stronger, so can't wait to go over them.

that being said, one thing i'm pretty glad about is that so far the series (unsurprisingly) still holds up. oh sure, there's no replicating the sense of nostalgia i had when i watched the series for the first time, but that's not limited to avatar by any means.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
After catching up with the latest episodes of Mao Mao, you know, when you get right down to it I guess every wish the Ruby Pure Heart ever granted pretty much was an evil wish, or did something evil. Once or twice might have been "whoops, another spell gone awry," but at this point there's a pretty consistent pattern of the wishes (including the early ones where they don't make it explicit that the Ruby Pure Heart made it happen, like Adorabat ending Mao Mao and Badgerclops' friendship) being driven by a malign will.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m three episodes into Infinity Train and really enjoying it so far. It seems like a refinement of the Adventure Time formula of having light adventures in a really grim setting governed by complex premises and deep history. There’s great economy of storytelling and characterization as well—the ten-minute format must be starting to seem natural to people working in animation these days.

My one quibble is that Tulip doesn’t seem very curious about where anyone else has come from or how the train works despite being introduced as methodical and curious and very concerned with rules making sense. It’s still early, though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Was protecting the town and allowing its inhabitants to become weak and fluffy and totally vulnerable an inherently evil act?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

Was protecting the town and allowing its inhabitants to become weak and fluffy and totally vulnerable an inherently evil act?

...maybe? That would be an interesting answer as to why the Sweetiepies are such rotten little monsters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Owl House spoilers: "IT'S ME, EDALYN! IT'S ME EDALYN! IT WAS ME, ALL ALONG EDALYN!"

Aw, son of a bitch!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I need to hear Hooty sing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLOq9C0kN-A

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Episode where Hooty is voiced by Darius Rucker.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

Episode where Hooty is voiced by Darius Rucker.

This is a good joke.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Like, no one even draws attention to it.

Hooty is just suddenly speaking with Rucker's "country Eddie Vedder" voice and no one points it out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

More Owl House spoilers: Was wondering if they were going to try for a redemption arc for Lillith, but after she actively endangered Luz as a human shield and is both dismissive and racist towards her, and revealed to have been the one who cursed Eda apparently unprovoked and likely out of jealousy, I'm guessing any chances of a redemption arc for her are going right down the crapper unless they pull some real turns.

Also, guessing the Titan is probably connected to the colossal corpse that appears to make up the Boiling Isles, and that beating heart in the middle of the palace.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I thought it was pretty clear, that the titan was exactly that. The Boiling isles. They spoke with familiarity and some reverence about the thing "He is the only one who can talk to the titan." So I guess, they all regard the place they live on as some sort of deity. Makes sense, if you remember that the magic in that world isn't exactly inherent but is drawn from that titan. So yeah, given that the heart is beating, it's probably not quite dead, which has some interesting implications.

Lillith ist kind of an rear end in a top hat this episode. And retroactively in every episode she's in.

It was fun finding out that Kikimora are an actual thing from mythology. I only knew that word because a kind of monster in Witcher 3 was called that way.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The owl house owns and I should have waited approximately a week to get into it, gently caress

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Junpei Hyde posted:

The owl house owns and I should have waited approximately a week to get into it, gently caress

Hey, we can be pals! Just binged everything in the last 2 days.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Hey, we can be pals! Just binged everything in the last 2 days.

the show should be entirely amity and luz with hootey owning everyone in the background imo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Junpei Hyde posted:

the show should be entirely amity and luz with hootey owning everyone in the background imo

Can't say I'm not down with optimising gayness

Though still getting non-binary vibes from Luz. And Eda is just non-comforming all the way down.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can't say I'm not down with optimising gayness

Though still getting non-binary vibes from Luz. And Eda is just non-comforming all the way down.

It can still be gay

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Junpei Hyde posted:

Hooty has surprisingly grown on me over the course of the past few episodes. I don't know why.

And I could watch Amity making those faces forever. :kimchi:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Hooty has surprisingly grown on me over the course of the past few episodes. I don't know why.

And I could watch Amity making those faces forever. :kimchi:

It's because he's the most powerful character on the show, hoot hoot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Junpei Hyde posted:

It can still be gay

Well of course, I'm finding one of the best parts of the 21st century is how gay everything can be. Even cishet straight guys can be gay, or we can only hope to be.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Junpei Hyde posted:

It's because he's the most powerful character on the show, hoot hoot.

Nah, I'm not a fascist. If I was I would have liked Eda, the previous strongest character, more.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Hooty could easily cross over into being super obnoxious to watch instead of just being fun to hate, but to me at least he manages to avoid that for two reasons. First, none of the other characters can stand him either, which is a gag that somehow never fails to make me smile. Of course, acknowledging something is terrible doesn't magically make it not terrible, which is where the second part comes in. See, I get the impression that we're not really getting the Full Hooty ExperienceTM, and most of his worst behavior is happening off screen where the audience doesn't have to be subjected to it. Thus, whenever the other characters tell Hooty to gently caress off, you get the comedic payoff of "Heh, Hooty was about to do something really annoying/gross," without actually having to experience the annoying/gross thing yourself.

This was entirely too many words justifying the terribleness of a cartoon owl tube.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hooty is the best character on the show

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I had not previously realized that Eda's gemstone was not just a decoration and was connected to her power level. Just one more item for the "Ways in which she's just Ryouko from Tenchi" list.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cattail Prophet posted:

Hooty could easily cross over into being super obnoxious to watch instead of just being fun to hate, but to me at least he manages to avoid that for two reasons. First, none of the other characters can stand him either, which is a gag that somehow never fails to make me smile. Of course, acknowledging something is terrible doesn't magically make it not terrible, which is where the second part comes in. See, I get the impression that we're not really getting the Full Hooty ExperienceTM, and most of his worst behavior is happening off screen where the audience doesn't have to be subjected to it. Thus, whenever the other characters tell Hooty to gently caress off, you get the comedic payoff of "Heh, Hooty was about to do something really annoying/gross," without actually having to experience the annoying/gross thing yourself.

This was entirely too many words justifying the terribleness of a cartoon owl tube.

Put another way, Hooty and King are both best delivered in very measured doses.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Hooty is low key the best character one the show precisely because his personality is so off-putting.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Hooty totally killed like half of Lilith's goons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Hooty totally killed like half of Lilith's goons.

Well that one dude didn't even appear to have a face, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Well that one dude didn't even appear to have a face, so I'm not sure if it counts.

That made me wonder if the cloaked goons weren't some kind of animated constructs, so we can not feel bad when it comes time to start mowing them down in earnest.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TwoPair posted:

I've watched a gif of that like ten times and I'm pretty sure we saw Hooty cave a dude's head in on the Disney channel.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

...maybe? That would be an interesting answer as to why the Sweetiepies are such rotten little monsters.

I liked Pinky revealing that he hates himself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Big same. I marathoned it yesterday while farming for a phone game.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Funky Valentine posted:

I've watched a gif of that like ten times and I'm pretty sure we saw Hooty cave a dude's head in on the Disney channel.

Yeah I saw that and had to repeat it to find out what just happened and I'm still not sure. At first I thought he possessed the goon but he just sort of slipped through the hood.

Creepy. Makes you think of how Hooty and King are demons and almost all the demons we see are mostly harmless but there must be a reason why they're feared. Or if there's truth to King's title.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

The only live-action remake that could reasonably be counted as an improvement is the 2016 Jungle Book, and that's only because the original was basically bits and pieces of Kipling's book loosely assembled into a coherent narrative. Avatar was so well done, both visually and story-wise, that it would be an incredibly tough act to follow - even if everyone involved sincerely cared about making the best work they possibly can (as opposed to yet another cheap shot at name recognition), it's not that likely that they'd end up doing the original justice.

The comments in certain articles about the Netflix execs allegedly wanting to cram in more sex and violence certainly don't help matters. Nor does the general attitude of "dark and gritty equals more mature" that's infected big chunks of the TV and film industry (see also: Star Trek: Picard).

is it really an infection if its a cancerous tumor thats being affecting all modern media or maybe human media forever?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Now watch Amphibia!!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Just binged Infinity Train to day and all I can say is gently caress Simon! I can't remember the last time a show has made me hate a character this much. Definitely not looking forward to his eventual redemption.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Just binged Infinity Train to day and all I can say is gently caress Simon! I can't remember the last time a show has made me hate a character this much. Definitely not looking forward to his eventual redemption.

They've only got two episodes to go, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Been binging Infinity Train because of the hype from this thread, and wow, it is dark as poo poo I wasn't expecting Season 2 finale stuff To watch the flecks get straight up grinded and blasted to poo poo with full on gore and silver-blood and stuff. Also (season 3 mid-season around episode 6-ish) Simon straight up killed someone holy gently caress. I can't believe they're just wasting fools left and right on this show, it pulls no punches, and the thing with The Cat was epic. Though I totally expected for Grace to be the one to separate Simon and The Cat.

Is Owl House this good? What about that show about the cat?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 24, 2020