Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/decafjedi/status/1297376611713654787

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When they reveal it was actually Final Fantasy 4, that’ll be FOUR TIMES the power.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This is very stupid because I use the US store primarily and do not live there, and so do a lot of my friends, and some use local stores so basically we will have no idea if we can play together if we get this game, which also took out local multiplayer

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

doesn't track for FF4 either, the characters who come and go use the same "shadow slot" that would be a lot to explain. basically different characters will share the same EXP pool in the game's memory

Characters who've left the party do get awarded the same experience as those in the party, and that's exactly why KO'ing characters can be so lucrative. Winning a fight with Cecil solo on Mt. Ordeals doesn't just give him 4 times the experience, but it gives 4 times the experience to Kain, Rydia, Rosa, and Yang as well.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Vagrant Story on Switch when

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Alec Eiffel posted:

Vagrant Story on Switch when

Put Final Fantasy Tactics on the Switch first

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

thetoughestbean posted:

Put Final Fantasy Tactics on the Switch first

You guys all have phones right?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jokes posted:

You guys all have phones right?

Where is Vagrant Story, jokes? Where is it and no funny business.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Your phones can emulate PS1, right?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also Vagrant Story is the story of every person who spends all their money on mobile games and then loses their job and ends up homeless due to spending their savings on a limited edition Rydia but dammit it was worth it because she has blue hair instead of green and we'll be together forever and what do you mean that's just some space alien clone of her, dammit TAY you hosed me over again!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not my iPhone no lol

Also yikes touch screen controls

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Give me Vagrant Story 2
It's all I want, why is that so hard

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently Trials of Mana did better than expected so we might end up with more lower budget but still total remakes of old games, Vagrant Story would be a good pick.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I think the devs talked of remaking Legend of Mana next, which I'm mixed about. On one hand, I don't think you could improve on the graphics or the soundtrack, both are pretty much perfect and the game would lose a lot by going to 3D between its gorgeous backgrounds and sprite-work. On the other hand, Legend of Mana with actual gameplay might be interesting.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I remember Vagrant Story's excellent story, graphics and music getting me to power through the many systems that were somewhere between obtuse and actively hostile to the player, but I guess in a post Dark Souls world they would make it a smash hit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Party Boat posted:

I remember Vagrant Story's excellent story, graphics and music getting me to power through the many systems that were somewhere between obtuse and actively hostile to the player, but I guess in a post Dark Souls world they would make it a smash hit.

dark souls works because it's an action game, and you can overcome it with experience and reflexes. vagrant story's :psyduck: crafting system only rewards you for understanding it and knowing where to get the drops for the next upgrade in the chain, rather than improving your skill as a player

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Vagrant Story's cinematography is only surpassed by MGS1 when talking about PSone games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s looks even better than MGS1 tbqh

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Augus posted:

it’s looks even better than MGS1 tbqh

those rear end-less chaps really pop in HD.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I guarantee this thread's been linked itt before but it's a great breakdown of how the VS team pulled off such an incredible looking game on the PS1

https://twitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1226610123000467457?s=19

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
While we're talking about bits, now is as good a time as any to post this since Nier has officially been part of Final Fantasy proper for several months now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKf8nB7-1iQ

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It made a lot of sense when I found out that Akihiko Yoshida was the character designer for both Ashley Riot and 2B.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Party Boat posted:

It made a lot of sense when I found out that Akihiko Yoshida was the character designer for both Ashley Riot and 2B.

if you ever want to see yoshida's idea of what heavy armor should look like, please play The Last Story

(hint: there's a shemagh)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stuff like this is why I'm always amused when people get mad that game prices are "too expensive." IIRC, Gauntlet 2 was $79.99 at Toys 'r Us back in the day.

Mega64 posted:

I think the devs talked of remaking Legend of Mana next, which I'm mixed about. On one hand, I don't think you could improve on the graphics or the soundtrack, both are pretty much perfect and the game would lose a lot by going to 3D between its gorgeous backgrounds and sprite-work. On the other hand, Legend of Mana with actual gameplay might be interesting.

All they need to do is make the multiplayer not hot garbage and it'd be worth (re)buying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everybody should have something that they love as much as Akihiko Yoshida loves thighs.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

All they need to do is make the multiplayer not hot garbage and it'd be worth (re)buying.

Every gameplay-adjacent system in Legend of Mana is hot garbage. The base combat, the skill learning, the crafting, the monster raising, quest trigger conditions- they're all fine ideas with absolutely dumbass execution. Legend of Mana is a game desperately in need of a remake- every bit as much if not moreso then Trials was- but yeah, there's no way Legend gets the Trials treatment and doesn't lose something in terms of it's style in the transition because that was the original LoM's high point.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

It's been so long since the western vs japanese title thing was relevant that i thought it was talking about actual FF II. Took me a solid minute.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Elentor posted:

Give me Vagrant Story 2
It's all I want, why is that so hard
Original team is too busy working primarily on FFXIV these days.

FFXIV's Orbonne Monastery raid has a ton of Vagrant Story reference throughout, not counting the infamous third boss fight.

As for that third boss fight... here ya go, don't click if you don't want the surprise ruined: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2XXiVvEMDE

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bongo Bill posted:

Everybody should have something that they love as much as Akihiko Yoshida loves thighs.

Most “gamers” do, it’s also thighs.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Stuff like this is why I'm always amused when people get mad that game prices are "too expensive." IIRC, Gauntlet 2 was $79.99 at Toys 'r Us back in the day.

Maybe it's becoming noticeable as cost of living, rent in particular has gotten higher while videogames have been largely the same?

I paid $100 for FFIX when it was released 20 years ago, and paid $70 for FFVII remake on the PS4 this year.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

MythLisp posted:

Maybe it's becoming noticeable as cost of living, rent in particular has gotten higher while videogames have been largely the same?

I paid $100 for FFIX when it was released 20 years ago, and paid $70 for FFVII remake on the PS4 this year.
If you adjust for inflation, the cost of video games actually peaked in the mid-90’s and if prices had simply changed with the inflation rate, we’d paying something like $110 for the average game.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 24, 2020

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Just finished FFXV after over 2 years of playing off and on, restarting on PC at some point. Something would always frustrate me into putting it down for a while, but the style (visuals, music, general vibe) always brought me back.

Despite Chapter 13 (I think? The one in the factory) being kind of a slog that game finished really strong. The ring weapon was pretty cool when you got to use it like Royal Guard from DMC, but it didn't always seem to work. When it did work that was the best the combat felt in the whole game to me; quickly switching to it to stun an attacking enemy then switching back to the trident or sword. Playing as the other boys felt pretty good too.

The emotional bits got me despite not being super invested in the plot until the end although that may have been due to the style more than the substance. I didn't understand at all why people hyped up Ardyn as a great antagonist until I played the last chapters and still don't know if I think it's justified, if only because ALL of his interesting stuff is in the last 3-4 hours.

Just wanted to get these thoughts off my chest. Tiny bit of background: I've only finished the 13 trilogy. Will probably play 10 next.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ardyn is just acted really well, mostly, i think

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Super No Vacancy posted:

ardyn is just acted really well, mostly, i think

Played with Japanese VO so idk. Always Japanese VO when available so it's harder to tell if the acting is bad.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
His motivations are interesting. I'll give him that. It doesn't make a ton of sense why the crystal/the gods rejected him but it's fantasy god stuff so either you go along with that aspect of it or you don't at some point. I don't fully understand how he was usurped either, because the crystal didn't "accept" anyone until Noctis iirc.

PhoenixFlaccus fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 24, 2020

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Played with Japanese VO so idk. Always Japanese VO when available so it's harder to tell if the acting is bad.

yeah i’ve been known to do that too. if everyone was acted as well as ardyn (as is the case in ff7r) you wouldnt need to

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If this were a few years ago I would have tried to explain Ardyn's whole deal to you, but Episode Ardyn really soured me on the entirety of the game, which is weird even to me that a single expansion could ruin the whole shebang for someone, but that's human emotion for you.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

His motivations are interesting. I'll give him that. It doesn't make a ton of sense why the crystal/the gods rejected him but it's fantasy god stuff so either you go along with that aspect of it or you don't at some point. I don't fully understand how he was usurped either, because the crystal didn't "accept" anyone until Noctis iirc.

Basically Ardyn believed he could cure the starscourge but in actuality is soaking it up like a sponge, which eventually corrupts him. Cue getting rejected by the crystal and centuries of emotional turmoil later we get the Ardyn we all know and love.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

If this were a few years ago I would have tried to explain Ardyn's whole deal to you, but Episode Ardyn really soured me on the entirety of the game, which is weird even to me that a single expansion could ruin the whole shebang for someone, but that's human emotion for you.

Well it basically shits all over the one interesting thing in Ardyn's story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Me before playing FF14: "Wow, that's some neat design to make that bit of landscape/building look like a creature."
Me during FF14: "...yup, that's a Primal. Gonna stab that in whatever passes for a face later."