Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Elephanthead posted:

That is not a good place to crash at.

Yeah, but thank the gods that they finally put the aeroscreen in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Fraudnando Afailso.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

iospace posted:

Yeah, but thank the gods that they finally put the aeroscreen in.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Elephanthead posted:

Lol no red flag ratings in Japan must be worth a bundle.

Yes, a 30+ minute red flag before the last 2-3 laps would have been great for ratings.

He completely hosed up the wall and they would need to completely replace it to go green again...

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Elephanthead posted:

That is not a good place to crash at.

safety fix

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Sato going around hugging everyone and all the crew saying "Thank you" was wholesome as gently caress

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I feel like an Indy 500 champion right now too, I managed to knock over and spill one of my kid’s glasses of milk all over myself!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Would shortening the pit wall so the attenuator is further down the straight help this? Sure seems like Indy is the worst track for cars hitting pit wall.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

holy poo poo lol

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Would shortening the pit wall so the attenuator is further down the straight help this? Sure seems like Indy is the worst track for cars hitting pit wall.

Problem would be spins like Dixon's in practice and the Daly / Askew crash. Seems like with a later outer pit wall there could be a higher likelyhood for high-energy debris (or whole cars) flying towards occupied pit areas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Colton saying what's in all our hearts

E: yeah. I don't know that there's a better solution, I just don't know why Indy seems to have so much more issues with the attenuator than most tracks.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Colton saying what's in all our hearts

E: yeah. I don't know that there's a better solution, I just don't know why Indy seems to have so much more issues with the attenuator than most tracks.

Most ovals like Texas, Fontana, Gateway, etc, have a totally different pit entry configuration is certainly part of it. The only one I can think of off hand that is similar to Indy is Pocono, and when it comes to track width there is no comparison there either — and the outer pit wall is much narrower. Maybe if they rebuilt the outer pit wall at Indy to eliminate the trench where people used to stand with message boards, but even then... I dunno.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1297756559947313152

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just finished watching the race, couldn’t believe Sato got his second :japan:

I’ll try to find any good clips from Japanese TV or Twitter too.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Leigh Diffy giving an update about Alex Zinardi. "He is taking some better steps <pause> to recovery".

I think he regretted that sentence about half way thru.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

bennyfactor posted:

Most ovals like Texas, Fontana, Gateway, etc, have a totally different pit entry configuration is certainly part of it. The only one I can think of off hand that is similar to Indy is Pocono, and when it comes to track width there is no comparison there either — and the outer pit wall is much narrower. Maybe if they rebuilt the outer pit wall at Indy to eliminate the trench where people used to stand with message boards, but even then... I dunno.

I think the only way you actually fix this is to extend the wall all the way back through halfway around turn 4, and eliminate the turn 4 pitting entirely. If you move the end of the wall further down the front straight someone will still hit it at some point. This is the Law of Dumb Wrecks.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

On the plus side I won my bet that Mario would lead more laps than Marco...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I *just* took this screenshot right before he deleted it, lmao

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
very presidential of our man PT

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Anybody who wanted a GWC finish should be forced to watch the last lap of the 1996 Indy 500 to see how badly trying to do a last lap shootout in a open wheel series can go.

Also:

https://twitter.com/carlsonsraiders/status/1297649899056648193

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

He also has more victories than all of Canada.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

:canada:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Brave to say Quebec isn't part of Canada. :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Brave to say Quebec isn't part of Canada. :v:

Sato has two Indy 500 victories, Villeneuve -- the only Canadian winner -- only has one?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Its easy to forget about Jaques Villeneuve

also recommended

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
edit: nvm

Synthetic Hermit fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 25, 2020

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
There is Jacques and Uncle Jacques.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Frond posted:

There is Jacques and Uncle Jacques.

So I've just learned. Photos at the local snowmobile track didn't make a distinction.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Sato has two Indy 500 victories, Villeneuve -- the only Canadian winner -- only has one?

Don't forget notable non-winners like Scott "Sad Sack" Goodyear and Paul "Dogshit" Tracy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don’t understand the freak out about the ending under yellow. I guess if the commercial considerations want GWC’s I suppose they will have to be implemented but I won’t like it.

I’m not convinced Dixon would have caught Sato anyway.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Frond posted:

I don’t understand the freak out about the ending under yellow.

Neither do I!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Frond posted:

I don’t understand the freak out about the ending under yellow.

Old timers love complaining more than they love racing. I would much rather end under yellow than spend 2 hours of dead air watching them repair the attenuator, then go green for 1 turn where someone just inevitably crashes after bottoming out because the tire pressure has gone to zero and we finish under yellow anyway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

I’m not convinced Dixon would have caught Sato anyway.

100% agreed. The only real question mark is whether or not Sato could have made it to the end on fuel without engaging in Rossi-style clutch and coast. As long as he could stick with regular fuel save strategies, Dixon wasn't going to pass him. Even with Sato getting backed up by lapped traffic* and Dixon on full rich, Dixon was keeping pace, not closing the gap. I don't think Dixon had enough tire left.

Also, how many people poo poo their britches in 2014 when they called a red flag with nine laps to go? It was controversial as gently caress at the time, and even then it was only 11 minutes long to clean the track and some minor SAFER repairs. This would have been a much longer red flag, with so little of the race to go that by the time you get the field gathered up, into the pits, restarted and warmed back up, you maybe have one green flag lap left? The only way a red flag with that little race left makes any sense to me is if you change the yellow flag rules around it to not count those laps. Now you have an Indy 505 or 510, and you gently caress up fuel strategy across the field.

*WHY THE gently caress WAS ED STILL ON THE loving TRACK WITH 5 TO GO? He was thirteen loving laps down and in front of a battle for the lead. TK was an absolute legend and got the gently caress out of the way. There are times to fight to stay on the lead lap, but five to go at the 500 in front of a close battle is not one of them.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
well you see ed carpenter is a massive piece of poo poo hope this helps OP

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

CactusWeasle posted:

well you see ed carpenter is a massive piece of poo poo hope this helps OP

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What likely hurts the most for some is “well there’s no time left to do the repair because NBC will be out of TV time, and they moved the start later for TV too...”

Yeah but asking to wait an hour-plus for five laps makes zero sense. If that happened on lap one, sure, but so late in the race...eh.

Robin Miller’s column pointed out the number of races finishing under caution, and fun fact: all three of Franchiti’s wins technically happened under the yellow flag!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I mean, Indy races have finished under yellow for years and it’s never been a problem. The only difference is that this time it was a Japanese driver who won under a yellow and oooooohhhh it’s racism.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

What likely hurts the most for some is “well there’s no time left to do the repair because NBC will be out of TV time, and they moved the start later for TV too...”

Yeah but asking to wait an hour-plus for five laps makes zero sense. If that happened on lap one, sure, but so late in the race...eh.

With how the "post race" was treated, were they hoping for another 180+ MPH average pace race?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

what am I looking at here