Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

buglord posted:

How likely is this to be easier to grasp as a newbie vs CK2? CK2 confused me to no end and this is as someone who figured out the inscrutable ways of EU4 and HOI4.

obviously not many people will have first hand experience to say just yet but paradox has been putting out tutorial videos and the UI looks so much more comprehensible than Ck2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26vR8IdZmGQ&list=PL_3rLv22kp6T7YGF35GcXgqE7814GTUUm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
yeah it will be a million times easier, I think that's pretty clear just from the preview videos etc.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

The art direction overall is easy on the eyes. The character model generator thing looked great in Imperator but it's really going to shine here.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Never played CK2, but this game looks great, and the UI looks nice as well.

And after watching a few videos, it looks like this game is what the AI characters in Imperator should be playing in the background.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

buglord posted:

How likely is this to be easier to grasp as a newbie vs CK2? CK2 confused me to no end and this is as someone who figured out the inscrutable ways of EU4 and HOI4.

If you come in on the ground floor, it will probably be easier. By the end CK2 was loaded down by so many extra, special-case, oddball extra, modified or DLC-added rules that it could get… a bit too much to all keep in mind.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
Some rando on my Steam friends list was playing this already, how is that possible?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

bluegoon posted:

Some rando on my Steam friends list was playing this already, how is that possible?

You can very easily change the name of a non-steam game or program, then launch it through steam, and it will show.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You can very easily change the name of a non-steam game or program, then launch it through steam, and it will show.

Yeah you're right, but apart from that fuckery, could it have been a review copy?

EDIT: It was CK2, holy gently caress I'm going blind.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Descar posted:

Never played CK2, but this game looks great, and the UI looks nice as well.

And after watching a few videos, it looks like this game is what the AI characters in Imperator should be playing in the background.

I would've much preferred if Imperator took more from CK2, but alas. Though Imperator's biggest fault was that it was a EU: Rome sequel instead of them building a new classical era game that didn't suck.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Ham posted:

There are problems with age restrictions / ratings if you're in Australia that caused it to be pulled. They're trying to resolve them and recently fixed it for New Zealand.

I managed to pre order it. Are they censoring it? What is even in the game to worry about?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
There’s nudity in this one, possibly related to certain heresies

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I really hope After the End eventually makes the transition to CK3. I've played it more than vanilla.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

bgreman posted:

I really hope After the End eventually makes the transition to CK3. I've played it more than vanilla.

Same, that’s a terrific mod. Honestly CK2 had several really excellent mods; I’m definitely buying CK3, and I hope against hope that we see AtE and AGoT and others make their way over.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Didn't Ofaloaf make that?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Yeah I'm going to keep CK2 around a bit longer so I can play AtE, GoT, and EK until (if?) they get ported.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Veryslightlymad posted:

Didn't Ofaloaf make that?

He did, some other people took over updating it but Ofaloaf made everything originally.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CK sure seems to have the largest number of overhaul mods.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Raged posted:

Is there a reason we can't preorder this on steam?

I managed to preorder from Paradox directly from Aus

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I wonder if HIP or CK2+ will make the move, love those

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

teacup posted:

I managed to pre order it. Are they censoring it? What is even in the game to worry about?

It managed to get an M rating from the ESRB so I assume rather a lot!

(my guess is that the move from portraits to 3D models with the occasional nudity/bloody wounds/disease disfigurements raised the hackles of some ratings people).

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I wonder if HIP or CK2+ will make the move, love those

HIP has alresdy transitioned develoment to CK3.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Anyone have their first game planned yet? I think I'm going to try being one of the Viking invaders of England in the early start, it seems like a good chance to test out the new religion mechanics in a relatively, but not entirely, isolated position. My traditional warm-up of Irish petty king -> high king -> crusader king can wait until the second go-round.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

orangelex44 posted:

Anyone have their first game planned yet? I think I'm going to try being one of the Viking invaders of England in the early start, it seems like a good chance to test out the new religion mechanics in a relatively, but not entirely, isolated position. My traditional warm-up of Irish petty king -> high king -> crusader king can wait until the second go-round.

I was going to ask something like this. If anyone has any suggestions for a game to play after I do the tutorial, I'd appreciate it. :)

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

orangelex44 posted:

I was gonna go through the tutorial in Ireland. I have friends who are interested in CK but daunted, so I want to see how well it does its job. After that I might play a duke in France to see how the game plays as a vassal. Or maybe somewhere in the middle east. or...

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I'm just going to do the tutorial. I never found a good spot to properly get into CK2 so I'm mostly starting at the beginning.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Robert of Apulia in 1066 is always a fun start, not too easy but also powerful. You start with a horde of ambitious family and dynasty members, are in a war with the Byzantines for control of Epirus, and are perfectly situated to take Sicily from the Muslims and form the Kingdom of Sicily.

From then on you can use your power base to either invade the HRE for their Italian holdings, to inherit them through strategic marriages with Matilda of Tuscany, or to just wait till they eventually secede from the HRE and gobble them up - or you can go an entirely different path with the crusades and try to eke out a crusader realm in the outremer.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

My favorite games have always started in Iberia/Italy, I'm thinking Asturias 867, maybe go Cathar, recreate my favorite CK2 game.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I'm going to do a dumb religion thing I've been thinking about for a few months. I'll probably need to start over a few times.

Christian heresy with St. Peter's cross symbol
gnosticism even though it's mechanically bad
witchcraft yes
gay unions yes
lady priests only
women-first succession maybe
mend the Schism
:killing:

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I’m definitely taking the basques to their rightful place as rulers of Western Europe

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I actually like playing in Georgia/the Caucasus too, as a non-traditional sparking point between the Christians and Muslims. Might not be as entertaining in the 867 start though.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I’m gonna start with Ireland, but then I really want to try one of the places in Saharan Africa, now that there’s more space and more stuff going on there. I don’t know if they’ve said anything about trade routes so much as existing, but that webwork of passable terrain through the desert looks fun.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone else actually disliking the new UI? I miss some of the lighter colored backgrounds with the color of parchment paper, the new UI looks like the forums on darkmode.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Can I reform Frisia? I’m gonna reform Frisia.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My plan is to start in Ireland withe recommended newb character of king murchad and unite Ireland itself, then over the course of a few generations intermarry with the ruling dynastys of Scotland, England and Wales if its still around. That will hopefully put me in line of succession and I can murder my way to their individual crowns or I might be able to leverage some alliances to pressing my claims militarily. Either way I plan to form the empire of brittania, which I will use as my own personal laboratory for loving around with the new heresy and religion systems. All in it probably ends with me setting myself up as a god-king of the British Isles.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Nice thread title! Game looks great from what I've seen, can't wait to create a dynasty of bumbling Blackadders :ese:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I don't know if I can bear to play as anyone except beloved Tutorial Ireland :ohdear:

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Really thinking of playing Hungary for my 2nd play through after the tutorial. During a my CK2 games I played the traditional powers and I figure its a good a time as any to branch out.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Might go for my classic Prussia as the Old Prussians run, for some reason I really like the Baltic and giving stateless peoples a kingdom

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's time to bring back the old Egyptian religion.

The weak cults of the modern world shall submit before the blazing glory of Amun-Ra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

It's time to bring back the old Egyptian religion.

The weak cults of the modern world shall submit before the blazing glory of Amun-Ra.

Welp, my plans are cancelled because that’s the best god drat idea I’ve heard in weeks.