Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Torchwood is fun. I've always liked how bonkers it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I didn’t realise Capaldi was in James Gunn’s upcoming Suicide Squad as The Thinker. :monocle:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Given that the alternative is "actually watching Torchwood", I'd continue to stick to this gameplan if I were you. :v:

Yeah, much less playing date rape off for laughs in the Web Planet

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

I didn’t realise Capaldi was in James Gunn’s upcoming Suicide Squad as The Thinker. :monocle:

I'm so delighted by his presence!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh hell yeah :getin:

I’m finally rounding out my Character Options Doctor collection and today the War Doctor arrived. He looks great! But I’m not sure if the alternate head is supposed to be Eight or a young post-regeneration John Hurt because it doesn’t quite look like either of them. Anyone know?

I just need to decide which One, Three, Six, and Eight figures I want now. I really wish the Night of The Doctor figure wasn’t so drat expensive now because I’m not crazy about any of his victorian/TV movie looks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh hell yeah :getin:

I’m finally rounding out my Character Options Doctor collection and today the War Doctor arrived. He looks great! But I’m not sure if the alternate head is supposed to be Eight or a young post-regeneration John Hurt because it doesn’t quite look like either of them. Anyone know?

I just need to decide which One, Three, Six, and Eight figures I want now. I really wish the Night of The Doctor figure wasn’t so drat expensive now because I’m not crazy about any of his victorian/TV movie looks.

The spare head is meant to be 8, although 9 would make much more sense.

It might be worth tracking down the 13 Docs set, as it comes with a bloodied NotD 8. Also available is Dark Eyes 8 with blue leather coat in a 2-pack with a dalek.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Gunn is determined to cast as many former Doctor Who stars as he can so he can force them to shave their heads, I guess.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Capaldi's beautiful hair! :gonk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

The spare head is meant to be 8, although 9 would make much more sense.

It might be worth tracking down the 13 Docs set, as it comes with a bloodied NotD 8. Also available is Dark Eyes 8 with blue leather coat in a 2-pack with a dalek.

Oh nice, I didn’t know they’d updated that big set. I really dig the 6B Troughton and the JNT Tom in it.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I stopped watching part way through series 11, and the op doesn't make it sound like it's gotten any better.

Having said that, I love Torchwood - it's dumb, but John Barrowman is a charming fellow (though even he can't make Miracle Day rewatchable).
So my question is this - is series 12 charming terrible? Or is it "Amazon just needs a few tweaks but the system is fine and the oppressed workers are the real bad guys" terrible?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The individual episodes are fine but often feel like they end abruptly or had a bunch of little subplots that went nowhere. There are no true standout episodes (maybe the Mary Shelley one), mostly the high points are unexpected twists/reveals (in particular in Spyfall and Fugitive of the Judoon). But the reveal/twist in the final episode is utter dogshit and terrible which has only been compounded by the massive wait for the resolution of it come the next episode (maybe), which was already a long way away and will probably be longer thanks to COVID.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I think the biggest problem with the most recent season - which is a bit tedious, but nothing really they terrible tbh - is that John Barrowman's appearance has apparently prevented the release of Torchwood Season 7.

The continuity stuff in the finale is shrug worthy. It doesn't really matter to me in the same way it bothered other posters.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Ahh, has Barrowman/Captain Jack now become a Current Doctor Era Thing and Big Finish can't touch him now?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Strong Convections posted:

I stopped watching part way through series 11, and the op doesn't make it sound like it's gotten any better.

Having said that, I love Torchwood - it's dumb, but John Barrowman is a charming fellow (though even he can't make Miracle Day rewatchable).
So my question is this - is series 12 charming terrible? Or is it "Amazon just needs a few tweaks but the system is fine and the oppressed workers are the real bad guys" terrible?

If you like retcons, definitely check series 12 out

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

The individual episodes are fine

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the biggest problem with the most recent season - which is a bit tedious, but nothing really they terrible tbh
Yeaahhh... think I'll skip it for a few more years then.
Had enough of sigh fine and sigh a bit tedious with Capaldi.

I wish the Doctor would regenerate into Donna so at least there'd be a bit of personality on the show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Any list of problems I might have with the show absolutely do not include the name Jodie Whittaker. She's fantastic.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Any list of problems I might have with the show absolutely do not include the name Jodie Whittaker. She's fantastic.

Her characterisation could be better. One of the (many) things wrong with the most recent finale is that she basically stood there passively for 50 minutes while the plot happened at her making a ‘buh?’ face. She essentially did the same for much of Fugitive of the Judoon too. Come on Jodie, be more active!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

Goddamned right. She's the best. But it's tragic that her era is going to be marred but such lovely stories.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Goddamned right. She's the best. But it's tragic that her era is going to be marred but such lovely stories.

You can say the same for just about every Doctor other than maybe One, Two, Three, and Eight (and only on technicality since he’s only had 1.25 tv episodes!) though.

It’s practically tradition by this point!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You can say the same for just about every Doctor other than maybe One, Two, Three, and Eight (and only on technicality since he’s only had 1.25 tv episodes!) though.

Hers has been exceptionally bad though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

exceptionally full of delays too

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Most Doctors, in addition to bad stories, also get good stories though

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

Most Doctors, in addition to bad stories, also get good stories though

Jodie has gotten good stories, it's just that many of them are quietly good rather than big earth-shakers, and are occasionally tied to a greater, worse plot in a way that you can't entirely shake.

Like of this last season, I think when taken by themselves, Spyfall, Fugitive of the Judoon, and The Haunting of Villa Diodati are all fantastic stories that have really strong pieces that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend... except that they all tie really heavily into the finale. And even if I'm not as hard on the finale as others (I always want Doctor Who to swing for the fences conceptually, consequences be damned, and they sure as hell did that) it leaves a big goddamn asterisk on recommendations for those preceding stories.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Demons of the Punjab and It Takes You Away are top-tier as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

<the TARDIS lands>
The Doctor: ...and again, for the 14th time, be kind. Never ever eat breakfast at the Cafe Gallery in Paris, the croissants are frozen. Remember to tie your shoelaces. Don’t swim on a full stomach. If you find yourself in London 1989, don’t go and see ‘Run for your Wife’. Smile. Wear sunscreen...
<the TARDIS takes off>

This all happening at random points in future episodes, all done on greenscreen with a thousand different variations so they can be put in wherever the director wants

And they are contractually obligated to do this at eyebrow-point, but you didn't hear that from me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished Fugitive of the Judoon - the fact that Jack doesn't meet up with the Doctor is a very bizarre choice. But Hot Take....I really dig the idea of Ruth as an incarnation of the Doctor.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

jivjov posted:

But Hot Take....I really dig the idea of Ruth as an incarnation of the Doctor.

I was really into that episode (Jack's inclusion feeling like a non sequitur aside) and thought the build-up and reveal was fantastic. I wound up pretty indifferent to where it ultimately went in the end but in isolation I was gripped

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also Ruth's Tardis interior looks awesome.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

They need to find a way that Ruth is both an incarnation of the Doctor and not saddle continuity with the terrible timeless child stuff. Future incarnation, so future she’s forgotten some of her past. Works for 8 all the time.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Yeah I really liked Doctor Ruth and it still shocks me that her version of the TARDIS is better in literally every way than 13's TARDIS.

It's just such a good modernisation of the original 1963 console room. I don't get why when the art department can create something that nice and minimalist we have to be stuck with the terrible fake looking crystals.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thirteen's TARDIS console room has grown on me a lot. I don't like when the crystals move...but I'm fond of it in general

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

Thirteen's TARDIS console room has grown on me a lot. I don't like when the crystals move...but I'm fond of it in general

You know, I don’t think the outer 6 crystals moved at all last season.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tomtrek posted:

Yeah I really liked Doctor Ruth and it still shocks me that her version of the TARDIS is better in literally every way than 13's TARDIS.

It's just such a good modernisation of the original 1963 console room. I don't get why when the art department can create something that nice and minimalist we have to be stuck with the terrible fake looking crystals.

This is so good. I know they likely had no budget so they just redressed the set pieces they had on hand but id like to see it with an updated console as well.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

This is so good. I know they likely had no budget so they just redressed the set pieces they had on hand but id like to see it with an updated console as well.

I’m tired of cold and clinical looking console rooms, but I’d be fine with that setup in different lighting and maybe a few splashes of color.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just love the stark white. But I'm sure they cam spin the Ikea controls to various colors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
No idea how true this could be...but: https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/20...IBpDmvQ8YafucIQ

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I'll believe it when I'm watching Marco Polo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yes, it's 7 copies of Mission to the Unknown!

The_Doctor posted:

They need to find a way that Ruth is both an incarnation of the Doctor and not saddle continuity with the terrible timeless child stuff. Future incarnation, so future she’s forgotten some of her past. Works for 8 all the time.

The Time Lords made 2 do missions for them after the end of The War Games, then after The Two Doctors they forced him to regenerate into Ruth who did some more missions then went on the run and hid, bumped into 13 in Fugitive of the Judoon, went off doing her own thing for a bit (and Big Finish!), eventually gets caught by the Time Lords (or more likely, tricks them into thinking she didn't want to be "caught") and has her mind wiped and regenerates into 3, whose first episode just so happens to be available in HD meaning him falling out of the TARDIS in Spearhead from Space can be easily incorporated into a modern episode.

There we go, Ruth is in, all without any need for that Brain of Morbius bullshit. Also the Doctor is just another Time Lord, not the Timeless Child (source: the Master said she's the Timeless Child, therefore she isn't).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, I see the Mugabe excavation team hit paydirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

Ah, I see the Mugabe excavation team hit paydirt

Unlike Mugabe, the rumor will live forever :allears: