Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When I was little my family was on vacation in LA and got into a taping of some pilot that never got picked up by a guy standing on the street recruiting people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the movie Sinister 2, how did the kid survive being hit by a car at full speed and then chase a full grown rear end man and woman down with a sickle?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tenzarin posted:

In the movie Sinister 2, how did the kid survive being hit by a car at full speed and then chase a full grown rear end man and woman down with a sickle?

He didn't skip leg day.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In the movie Pet Sematary, how was the evil controlled baby able to kill his own grown rear end mama and then carry her up to the attic to then hang her from a noose?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
How many rewrites and revisions does a script generally go through before it is finalized and ready for shooting? I know some scripts have rewrites and all that even well into production, but do any scripts get greenlighted in their initial form (barring the general editing and revision process done to basically any form of writing)?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

How many rewrites and revisions does a script generally go through before it is finalized and ready for shooting? I know some scripts have rewrites and all that even well into production, but do any scripts get greenlighted in their initial form (barring the general editing and revision process done to basically any form of writing)?

Almost never. Most scripts go through at least two redrafts and accompanying revisions; most go through many more. About 4-5 full drafts plus revisions and a polish is pretty common.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

therattle posted:

Almost never. Most scripts go through at least two redrafts and accompanying revisions; most go through many more. About 4-5 full drafts plus revisions and a polish is pretty common.

With that, how do screenwriters and the like get credited? There are uncredited writers and script doctors, but how is it determined who gets the credit?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Leavemywife posted:

With that, how do screenwriters and the like get credited? There are uncredited writers and script doctors, but how is it determined who gets the credit?

From what I understand if there's any dispute, screenwriters submit drafts and info to the Writers' Guild who convenes a panel to determine credit

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 24, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

morestuff posted:

From what I understand if there's any dispute, screenwriters submit drafts and info to the Writers' Guild who convenes a panel to determine credit

If it’s WGA. But on most independent films the numerous drafts are all done by the same writer. The usual practise is to persist with the original writer unless the relationship has broken down or they just can’t do what is required. If you bring in another writer it may be clear that they have contributed enough to merit credit (in which case first writer’s contingent compensation is reduced), or it goes to arbitration with the applicable guild. Or a new writer may be brought on for an uncredited or end-roller credited polish, if they are happy to agree that.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Did older B-movies like Space Mutiny or Ator: the Fighting Eagle (in general, the sort of movies you find on MST3K) get theatrical releases, or were they straight-to-video? I was curious because of how blatantly Space Mutiny uses the special effects from Battlestar Galactica. Unless that was officially licensed, I can't see that flying for a theatrical release.

Also, were cheap-ish movies like that made before VHS was a thing? Did they just get limited theatrical releases, or were they distributed in some other way?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DorianGravy posted:

Did older B-movies like Space Mutiny or Ator: the Fighting Eagle (in general, the sort of movies you find on MST3K) get theatrical releases, or were they straight-to-video? I was curious because of how blatantly Space Mutiny uses the special effects from Battlestar Galactica. Unless that was officially licensed, I can't see that flying for a theatrical release.

Also, were cheap-ish movies like that made before VHS was a thing? Did they just get limited theatrical releases, or were they distributed in some other way?

Direct to video movies did not exist until the 90's. You could blatantly re-use effects because people wouldn't have seen the original use in months or years. Cheap movies have existed since movies have existed.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd guess at least 2/3rds of MST3K movies were released before VHS was invented.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Short answer: Yes. Here's a newspaper ad for Ator. Didn't see one for Space Mutiny.

Longer answer is that before the era of the corporate multiplex, there were more theaters, each with a slightly more curated lineup. Here's a newspaper clipping from 1982 showing the drive-in theater offerings in the Pittsburgh area. Even from just one weekend you can sort of get an idea of which ones are more mainstream and which ones would show Ator.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cool, thanks for the information, all!

What happened if a movie failed to find a distributor/theaters back in the day? For example, I watched "Dolemite is my Name" a little while back. If a film like the original Dolemite had failed to find theaters to air it, would it just have disappeared, or were there other options for finding an audience? Could you make a deal with a television channel and debut your movie on TV?

Along those lines, are there any legitimately good films that fell through the cracks like that, and were discovered a long while later?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

drat, The Thing/Fun House/American Werewolf would be a fun as poo poo triple feature!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

fenix down posted:

Short answer: Yes. Here's a newspaper ad for Ator. Didn't see one for Space Mutiny.

Longer answer is that before the era of the corporate multiplex, there were more theaters, each with a slightly more curated lineup. Here's a newspaper clipping from 1982 showing the drive-in theater offerings in the Pittsburgh area. Even from just one weekend you can sort of get an idea of which ones are more mainstream and which ones would show Ator.

Very disappointed that Porky’s wasn’t playing at Camp Horne.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
In Blackkklansman, the antisemite guy wants to see Flip's penis because he suspects he's Jewish, but aren't like 90% of American men circumcised? I'm not American, but that's what I've been led to believe.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spermando posted:

In Blackkklansman, the antisemite guy wants to see Flip's penis because he suspects he's Jewish, but aren't like 90% of American men circumcised? I'm not American, but that's what I've been led to believe.

I'd assume an antisemitic klansman wouldn't be that bright.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What's the twist in Antebellum? I've heard it's really dumb, but I've not seen anyone on this forum just go ahead and state whatever the gently caress it is. I don't care if it's a spoiler.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Leavemywife posted:

What's the twist in Antebellum? I've heard it's really dumb, but I've not seen anyone on this forum just go ahead and state whatever the gently caress it is. I don't care if it's a spoiler.

Haven't seen it, but having read reviews/comments on those reviews, it appears it is the same twist as The Village.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Klungar posted:

Haven't seen it, but having read reviews/comments on those reviews, it appears it is the same twist as The Village.

I don't even understand how that would work.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I don't even understand how that would work.

How what would work? I haven't been following this movie at all, but descriptions of the plot and trailers seem to slot in with that sort of twist pretty easily.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Klungar posted:

How what would work? I haven't been following this movie at all, but descriptions of the plot and trailers seem to slot in with that sort of twist pretty easily.

Unless time travel is established as something real in the film, I don't see how someone would just buy that they've time travelled, when in fact, nope it's all fake and it's still the present.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Wow, what a weekend to be going to the movies. Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Thing, Blade Runner, Wrath of Khan, Pussycat Ranch...

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
In Birdman, the nighttime rooftop scenes have a completely different look to them. What's the reason for that? Is it the lighting, the type of camera? The only example I can think of off the top of my head of such a drastic change between shots is the scene in X Men Origins where Wolverine cuts a ladder step by step.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Spermando posted:

In Birdman, the nighttime rooftop scenes have a completely different look to them. What's the reason for that? Is it the lighting, the type of camera?
Is it because we're not following Keaton and it's apart from his POv?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's this weird motion blur that's not present in other scenes. It's like it was recorded on a phone.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Unless time travel is established as something real in the film, I don't see how someone would just buy that they've time travelled, when in fact, nope it's all fake and it's still the present.

Antebellum: Still haven't seen it, but from reading further reviews with actual spoilers, it appears there is no time travel involved, just that the movie is told non-chronologically.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What are some great movies by directors who never made another great movie? I don't care about stuff like The Night of the Hunter by directors who didn't produce a lot, but more like movies like Training Day, where some middling director who has a ton of credits was never able to come close to the success of their most popular film.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some great movies by directors who never made another great movie? I don't care about stuff like The Night of the Hunter by directors who didn't produce a lot, but more like movies like Training Day, where some middling director who has a ton of credits was never able to come close to the success of their most popular film.

L.A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson)

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Klungar posted:

I’ve been to tapings of Letterman and Last Week Tonight.

With Letterman, you had to call in and answer a trivia question about the show. All my family (on a trip to NYC) was trying to call in at once, but I was the only one to get through. I was in high school and had never watched the show, so I got the question wrong and we didn’t get the tickets. We were walking around Times Square later and some guy was just grabbing people off the street to attend, so we still got to go to the taping.

This has been one of my most fun experiences in my trips to America.
10 years ago, my now wife surprised me with a 5 day trip to NY. We're from the Netherlands and in my college days I was a huge fan of Letterman. I used to stay up late to catch the show on a small network here.
I didn't know about it, but my wife tried to find a way to get tickets but didn't succeed. During our trip we got stopped on Times Square (I wanted to see the Sullivan theatre) by a girl. We were stopped regularly as tourists to begin with (buy CD, visit our stand-up, etc) so I didn't really believe it at first.

Got talking to the girl, smiling left-to-right, big fan, blabla. Had to answer who his bandleader was and were asked to the ticket booth at a specific time. We went, still not really believing it would happen, but we got tickets. I was stupidly grinning and excited and were picked out of the line, got some generic "you smile, look happy, smell great" salespitch and they asked us to come in advance to sit front-row.
Got a prep session on do's and don'ts (I recall you are forbidden to "woohoo") and it was just super fun all around.
Really great experience and I got to see Dave up close and live. :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Kodiak posted:

L.A. Confidential (Curtis Hanson)

No sir. I adore Wonder Boys.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

therattle posted:

No sir. I adore Wonder Boys.

8 Mile and In Her Shoes are actually quietly pretty great movies, too (and 8 Mile was a much bigger hit than Confidential anyway), and the dude co-wrote White Dog with Sam Fuller. The Hand That Rocks The Cradle was also a slightly bigger success than Confidential. He got around, he was just more of a journeyman who never really plastered his name as a brand to see a movie because of.

But Wonder Boys is probably the best Chabon adaptation we will ever get, I don’t know how but he managed to fit that entire book into the movie and it really feels exactly how Chabon writes.

I also didn’t realize he played Susan Orlean’s husband in Adaptation. Or that he died four years ago. Or that his career was over forty years long and includes a bad sex comedy starring Tom Cruise and Jackie Earle Haley in 1983 :psyduck:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Man, I haven't thought about The Hand That Rocks The Cradle in years. I remember liking it when I saw it; does it hold up?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghostbusters by Ivan Reitman comes to mind.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

Man, I haven't thought about The Hand That Rocks The Cradle in years. I remember liking it when I saw it; does it hold up?

It holds up pretty well, but definitely shows its roots as someone buying the closest script to Fatal Attraction they could find to cash in on. Hanson had a real good hand at balancing actor-focused prestige drama and sleazy, exploitation flick thrills, though. Ernie Hudson playing a vaguely developmentally-disabled fence builder is a bit weird in the current climate, but he definitely plays him with more dignity than you'd expect when you read that description of his character. The doctor molestation scene is also one of the most uncomfortable things to watch - clearly on purpose, of course - and they really manage to crank blood pressure up with the asthma attacks throughout the movie. Julianne Moore gives a nice little performance, too, Hanson was on the ball with getting her in there before Short Cuts and her becoming a critical darling. It's a nice little thriller, probably the best of the FA cash-ins.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

It's two movies rather one, but Roland Joffe's first two were The Killing Fields and The Mission. I don't think he's done anything else worth mentioning.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A weirdly controversial opinion on this forum, but Event Horizon.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Years ago there were rumors of a Coen Bros Yiddish Policemen’s Union adaptation and I was so freakin excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

A weirdly controversial opinion on this forum, but Event Horizon.

Paul WS Anderson directed several films that were more popular, and close in quality.

(And also a 2011 adaptation of Three Musketeers I didn't know about with Milla Jovovich and Mads Mikkelsen)