Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Thank you very much, this thread/website are too kind to me.

i'm so useless at accepting praise that this is my third attempt at this post

I want to join in with everyone in saying your stuff is awesome and I get excited whenever I see you doing a run or being part of the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
What happened with Rocko's Quest that was so bad they didn't even upload it to YouTube?

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

mango sentinel posted:

What happened with Rocko's Quest that was so bad they didn't even upload it to YouTube?

powerpoint

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

It’s here.

https://youtu.be/GYuwjBbPs4s

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
thirty seconds in, fifty thousand people hear him unload his nasal cavities into the microphone of his Acer laptop running over Wifi

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It wasn't even funny bad, it was just boring bad.

I'm almost sure that the runner wasn't setting out to do some kind of meme run, since his speech at the end felt pretty genuine, but he was just incredibly ignorant about everything involved in his run and its suitability to GDQ.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

TeaJay posted:

It wasn't even funny bad, it was just boring bad.

I'm almost sure that the runner wasn't setting out to do some kind of meme run, since his speech at the end felt pretty genuine, but he was just incredibly ignorant about everything involved in his run and its suitability to GDQ.

This is just making me want to watch it to see what happened

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wrex Ruckus posted:

This is just making me want to watch it to see what happened

Same honestly

https://twitter.com/NoseJonesSpeed/status/1296949560728645632?s=20

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Well just watch it, it's not that long. Although I feel like the GDQ hate crew is overhyping the hell out of it ("they don't want you to see this run!!!1") but the runners tweet makes me believe I am right about it. He's likely just embarrassed about how this turned out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i don't know if i'm getting that vibe from his tweets, more that he might be leaning into that crew's vibes intentionally

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flatluigi posted:

i don't know if i'm getting that vibe from his tweets, more that he might be leaning into that crew's vibes intentionally

yeah it certainly seems that way

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I took it as sort of a humble attempt to say he performed on a level that's unacceptable for the event, but I guess we'll see.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

To me that tweet just reads as him giving away the bit. Felt that they were loving around intentionally either because they thought it was funny or maybe having the trainwreck run of the event would get them way more attention

Either way lmao at that run getting accepted with the quality of mic the runner had. That alone seems easily disqualifying.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Unrelated to GDQ but just want to mention Big Bad Gameathon starts on September 18th.

It's basically 3 days of GDQ awful block and have been putting on really solid marathons the past few years. Some familiar faces on the schedule this year

https://horaro.org/bbg2020/schedule

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My local speedrunning group is ring our own "yearly flagship in person event forced online" this upcoming weekend.

https://horaro.org/mwsf2020/mwsf2020

One run we got lined up which only works online that I'm really excited for is Peekingboo doing sm64 70 star on his ddr cab, should be a good time.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

mango sentinel posted:

idk if it's enough on its own, but a couple of fucks were dropped, at least

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Are you a fan of:

Heavy breathing on a poo poo microphone?
Choppy framerate?
Stories about dogs puking?
Someone talking about a completely different game on commentary?

Then the Rocko's Quest run should be up your alley.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Did they really have TASBot play a TAS from four years ago or what?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CPColin posted:

Did they really have TASBot play a TAS from four years ago or what?

That looks like it's just the regular-rear end sm64 tas. The shindou edition one appears to be new this year, and has totally different techs because there's no blj.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, that's definitely not the same run. The one at SGDQ actually broke the game less despite bouncing off walls that didn't exist.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

listen do you expect me to watch the very short video to confirm if its the same or not when i could just post without checking

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If goons didn't attempt to mercilessly 'own' any and everything, we wouldn't get to laugh at them for being so bad at it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Some Goon posted:

That looks like it's just the regular-rear end sm64 tas. The shindou edition one appears to be new this year, and has totally different techs because there's no blj.

Ah, thanks. I'd seen that old TAS pop up on the front page of tasvideos.org and got confused.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Aside from Pokemon Sword & Shield, what were this year's good "put it on a second monitor while doing another thing" runs? Stuff where the most interesting parts can be conveyed through the commentary, rather than blistering moment-by-moment action?

Unrelated, I've just finished watching the Baba is You run, and wow, rarely has a game based on words and language made me so staggeringly inadequate. Great game, great run.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kestral posted:

Aside from Pokemon Sword & Shield, what were this year's good "put it on a second monitor while doing another thing" runs? Stuff where the most interesting parts can be conveyed through the commentary, rather than blistering moment-by-moment action?

Unrelated, I've just finished watching the Baba is You run, and wow, rarely has a game based on words and language made me so staggeringly inadequate. Great game, great run.

the final fantasy remake run had some interesting tech but i didn't catch some large chunks of it b/c sleep.

other runs i watched that fit that bill: the witcher, batman, alien isolation, breath of the wild, super mario odyssey

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Besides Rocko's Quest, were there any runs that were outright bad this SGDQ? Like, I'm talking on the level of that guy who did the Xbox racing game a year or two back and was either extremely stoned, extremely sleep deprived, or both.

I also feel like a lot of people got away with a bit more this year in terms of having a message (HL: Alyx run where the streamer put out an amazing "black lives matter and trans rights are human rights" in the middle of his stream without batting an eye), and also a bit more cursing (oh no think of the children watching!!) than is usually tolerated.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Drone posted:

Besides Rocko's Quest, were there any runs that were outright bad this SGDQ? Like, I'm talking on the level of that guy who did the Xbox racing game a year or two back and was either extremely stoned, extremely sleep deprived, or both.

I also feel like a lot of people got away with a bit more this year in terms of having a message (HL: Alyx run where the streamer put out an amazing "black lives matter and trans rights are human rights" in the middle of his stream without batting an eye), and also a bit more cursing (oh no think of the children watching!!) than is usually tolerated.

Pokemon Shield had a bit where they paused the timer for about 5 minutes so they could get under estimate lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sumichu said black lives matter + trans rights are human rights in her finale speech; hopefully that's a sign that nobody's 'getting away with it' or 'sneaking it in' during their runs

Borsche69 posted:

Pokemon Shield had a bit where they paused the timer for about 5 minutes so they could get under estimate lol

the shield run was good and when the timer was 'paused' it kept running in the background fine, they were under estimate legit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

It was only paused on the display, once they resumed it it instantly jumped forward for the amount it was "paused", so that despite the last bit being screwing around for donations it was still just under estimate lol

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

TeaJay posted:

I took it as sort of a humble attempt to say he performed on a level that's unacceptable for the event, but I guess we'll see.

pretty sure he's taking you for a ride, man. Sounds a lot like he's trying to be "epic", for lack of a better term to describe the irony poisoning.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think the worst just actual bad not funny bad run I've ever seen was a crash bandicoot run a few years ago where the runner told really bad and awkward jokes the whole time and then intentionally softlocked the game before the end, apparently as a joke that literally no one else got or found funny

even the couch at the end were like "oh dude, uhh... I guess that's run over?"

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

pretty sure he's taking you for a ride, man. Sounds a lot like he's trying to be "epic", for lack of a better term to describe the irony poisoning.

That's even doubly weird then, since I felt they didn't even go all out to super meme everything, just sorta ... half-assed it? Oh well, I tried giving him the benefit of the doubt, but perhaps I shouldn't considering the context.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the all-time worst gdq run has to be that halo run by a dude who was not a speedrunner but somehow bullshitted his way into getting accepted to gdq

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the all-time worst gdq run has to be that halo run by a dude who was not a speedrunner but somehow bullshitted his way into getting accepted to gdq

lol what when was that i either missed it or somehow forgot i wanna see

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aC_dSMGURg

It's not exactly that he wasn't a speedrunner, it's that all his submitted times weren't actually done in a single segment. Dude was an admin on the halo speedrunning website.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What about that Divinity one where the dude mucked up his run and then just noped out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SeXReX posted:

It's not exactly that he wasn't a speedrunner, it's that all his submitted times weren't actually done in a single segment. Dude was an admin on the halo speedrunning website.

the era before they had commentary...

lol this guy cant even aim???

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Personal favorite of mine is raneofsotn's binding of Isaac run that culminates in a beautiful shot of his asscrack

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SeXReX posted:

ah, i figured i was prolly remembering specifics wrong. either way: lmao

SeXReX posted:

Personal favorite of mine is raneofsotn's binding of Isaac run that culminates in a beautiful shot of his asscrack

i remember this one because agdq 2013 was the first gdq i ever watched live. that event holds a fuckin shitton of nostalgia for me; pj's sg'ng run there remains an all-time highlight, as does runnerguy's oot 100% run (among others). been hooked on this poo poo ever since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Drone posted:

Incidental swearing seemed about normal; biggest shock content-wise for me was seeing three hours of The Last of Us in the middle of the day. Graphic violence against humans and lots of profanity, with a couple of suicides for good measure...feels like the kind of game they typically relegate to overnight.

Also the Vice City run was really good and I enjoyed that game at the time but, eugh, lotta early-00's edgy Rockstar comedy that doesn't hold up. I'd forgotten that the Vespa knock-off is named the "Faggio." KZ used it a lot, too, so the name was on-screen repeatedly. It's even in the screenshot the GDQ tweeted to promote that run.