Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t particularly believe in the Kidlidibus theory but I don’t exactly get why they had him be child sized after the fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Everyone keeps saying Elidibus was just some kid, but he's got a pretty deep voice for one.

Do balls drop in the womb for Amourantians or is puberty for them a terrifying process where your voice slowly gets replaced with Charlie Brown adult noises?

he's using an ancient amaurotine voice changer because he got harassed on call of duty

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I suspect the Amaurotians are just intensely paternalistic to everybody, including each other.

(it's part of why they blew up)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not to get too political in a random thread, but to follow up on the idea reflected in the thread title... gently caress, I can't stop thinking about this quote and reading it in Elidibus's voice

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1297570544867475458

"To me, warriors of Light!" -- Joe Biden
It's not uncommon on these forums to pray for SS-18, but i can probably get behind "just flood this poo poo out, Hydaelyn."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t particularly believe in the Kidlidibus theory but I don’t exactly get why they had him be child sized after the fight

That was his actual size. Hell, during the fuzzy flashbacks shown of the Convocation (allegedly) from Elidibus' POV, they're way taller than him.

He also sounds way way younger in Japanese compared to the English VA.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Plus they’re immortal super wizards who can create poo poo out of thin air, teleport to the moon and across dimensions, and possess people, living and dead.

His voice being deeper might just be some of the last vestiges of his “great hero” persona/fantasy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Since he has no face, changing his voice would have been the obvious way to convey "a kid all along," and since they didn't do that I assume that was not the intention.

Having Elidibus be a child sacrifice also completely changes the subtext of "My brothers... my friends" and I don't think that's desirable.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
There's definitely something to him being younger, since if you're a Lalafell he's actually a bit shorter than you. He probably chose to become Zodiark's heart, but presumably that's missing the point - a willing sacrifice is still a sacrifice.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

Since he has no face, changing his voice would have been the obvious way to convey "a kid all along," and since they didn't do that I assume that was not the intention.

Having Elidibus be a child sacrifice also completely changes the subtext of "My brothers... my friends" and I don't think that's desirable.

While from my perspective, why make him smaller than a Lalafell and have people talk to him the way they do if not to signify that he's a child? Also changing the voice takes more work than taking the Amaroutine model and shrinking it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The first three or four quests of 5.3 are about children with the best of intentions dreaming of becoming Warriors of Light, and then you literally fight the idealized Warrior of Light and find out after beating him he's the same size as the Amaurotine children you see learning how to create stuff in the Amaurot side quests, and treated by the other Amaurotines in the exact same way as those children are

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Well, re: voice, it was pointed out that elidibus’ Japanese VA sounds a lot younger than his wisened old wizard voice in English, and also the dub staff may just have not had enough turnaround time to hire someone younger sounding for the role, even if they did realize the twist.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the whole "you're punching a baby" angle is a crude caricature of a reading that could easily make sense if you imagine someone Alphinaud's age at the heart of it

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the japanese VA still does not sound remotely childlike, he just sounds like a regular adult rather than particularly old or young

*edit* also arent the various language scripts written pretty much concurrently? if there was a "twist" the NA staff would have been in on it

YES bread fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 24, 2020

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the whole "you're punching a baby" angle is a crude caricature of a reading that could easily make sense if you imagine someone Alphinaud's age at the heart of it

I don’t think anyone’s claimed otherwise, like, nobody’s saying he was the amaurotian equivalent of an 8 year old, but model size plus the way other members of the council talk to him in flashbacks pretty heavily imply that he’s an aphinaud-style Precocious Teen if anything.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Everyone keeps saying Elidibus was just some kid, but he's got a pretty deep voice for one.

Do balls drop in the womb for Amourantians or is puberty for them a terrifying process where your voice slowly gets replaced with Charlie Brown adult noises?

They do change his voice, just not his voice actor. Listen to his delivery in those final scenes versus all the previous ones. It's less harsh and more vulnerable. And it's not like he previously didn't have scenes that required him to convey grief or contemplation. Even compared to those it's a different delivery.

It's not a complicated process really. "Why did they make a child model for the heart of this creature that has been conveyed in the past as a child?". Gee I don't know, because he's actually kind of young?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I think regardless of whether it's intended literally it's meant to communicate how much the single-minded goals of Elidibus and by extension the Ascians left them in a state of arrested development, unable to move on and find a place in the new sundered world, even Emet-Selch who put in a token bad faith effort

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CYBEReris posted:

I think regardless of whether it's intended literally it's meant to communicate how much the single-minded goals of Elidibus and by extension the Ascians left them in a state of arrested development, unable to move on and find a place in the new sundered world, even Emet-Selch who put in a token bad faith effort

ES’s token bad faith effort was pretty successful. Dude set up multiple calamity-causing empires

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

ES’s token bad faith effort was pretty successful. Dude set up multiple calamity-causing empires

successful for like, ascian goals, not so much for finding a healthy niche in the ecosystem

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CYBEReris posted:

successful for like, ascian goals, not so much for finding a healthy niche in the ecosystem

That's like saying the pixies failed to create a flourishing economy. Emet literally never even tried to make any of the empires he built 'healthy', he built those empires up specifically so they would go on to destroy the world. Sometimes multiple times.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Unfortunately, the Allagan Empire was TOO good at loving up

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
All of you that are screaming "ELIDIBUS ISNT A CHILD" are the densest motherfuckers on the planet.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That's like saying the pixies failed to create a flourishing economy. Emet literally never even tried to make any of the empires he built 'healthy', he built those empires up specifically so they would go on to destroy the world. Sometimes multiple times.

uh that's kinda what I'm saying though? there was a desire somewhere to connect with these people, he had kids and poo poo when he never had to, but all of it was tainted by his more compulsory desire to fulfill the mission of zodiark.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CYBEReris posted:

uh that's kinda what I'm saying though? there was a desire somewhere to connect with these people, he had kids and poo poo when he never had to, but all of it was tainted by his more compulsory desire to fulfill the mission of zodiark.

Yeah I misread what the “token effort” was, I thought you were saying that he was doing a token effort for the Ascian cause

Mordiceius posted:

All of you that are screaming "ELIDIBUS ISNT A CHILD" are the densest motherfuckers on the planet.

Seems a bit rude and needlessly aggressive

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

are people actually screaming this or do people just disagree that some of the signs of it aren't that obvious. I think it's dumb if he's a kid but it's not like it ruins the game or something

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ffxivbattletip_/status/1297611566204858368?s=20

5.4 starts with us finally getting dinner with Aymeric.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It is weird how some characters have basically been in stasis for two expansions' worth of time (poor Unukalhai in the Solar)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

unk isn't in stasis, he's just chillin'. if you pop in on him during shadowbringers he'll have updating dialogue reflecting various poo poo you've done.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

(poor Unukalhai in the Solar)

Speaking of children thrust into situations beyond their control or understanding.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I miss Midgardsormr :(

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Its Rinaldo posted:

I miss Midgardsormr :(

he has earned his nap

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Slider posted:

Best part of the patch was the emet hand wave

nothing else to add

I still don't know if I was supposed to know the friendly Ascian was Emet-Selch until then, but when that handwave happened it blew my mind.

Such great work by the team building characters to such a detail level that a little gesture like that is immediately recognizable.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

unk isn't in stasis, he's just chillin'. if you pop in on him during shadowbringers he'll have updating dialogue reflecting various poo poo you've done.

Holy poo poo, this game's attention to detail.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah but other characters have a semblance of life because they show up in cutscenes or at least idle in different places as the story progresses.

He's been standing in the same instance inside another instance for years lol

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah but other characters have a semblance of life because they show up in cutscenes or at least idle in different places as the story progresses.

He's been standing in the same instance inside another instance for years lol

He's a NEET okay?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Wait, do linkpearls mean that Eorzeans can get food delivered?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cleretic posted:

To be fair, I'm not actually entirely sure that's true. Emet seem to have had a very indecisive attitude towards his nation-states; whether it's just because of the scope of time involved in the span between "prosperous empire" and "dissolving catastrophe engine" he seems to have taken pains to build empires he found at least somewhat personally appealing. For example, in his guise as Solus, encouraging the arts and creativity in Garlemald doesn't exactly suit its fascistic purposes. If nothing else, since Emet presumably perceives time like a Spoken and not a dragon, he doesn't exactly go into centuries-long naps, so he's gotta spend time in the places he builds.

Emet seems to have repeatedly tried to go native, in the same way that Elidibus seems to have encouraged and posed as heroes throughout the history of the various Shards even if he was not actually the original Warrior of Light. (He explicitly says he's imitating the Warrior of Light.)

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 25, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still love that Emet loved the theater so much that they had to ban it after he died because his family was sick of it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

SirSamVimes posted:

he has earned his nap

He was napping for fifteen years!

Just want to have him and Feo Ul to dramatically appear to poo poo talk me like my own fantasy royal Statler and Waldorf :(

Jetrauben posted:

To be fair, I'm not actually entirely sure that's true. Emet seem to have had a very indecisive attitude towards his nation-states; whether it's just because of the scope of time involved in the span between "prosperous empire" and "dissolving catastrophe engine" he seems to have taken pains to build empires he found at least somewhat personally appealing. For example, in his guise as Solus, encouraging the arts and creativity in Garlemald doesn't exactly suit its fascistic purposes. If nothing else, since Emet presumably perceives time like a Spoken and not a dragon, he doesn't exactly go into centuries-long naps, so he's gotta spend time in the places he builds.

Emet seems to have repeatedly tried to go native, in the same way that Elidibus seems to have encouraged and posed as heroes throughout the history of the various Shards even if he was not actually the original Warrior of Light. (He explicitly says he's imitating the Warrior of Light.)

Going to plays while you're sitting around waiting for your engineered evil empire to commit crimes while blowing up planetary populations doesn't exactly halt the boot stomping on the human face forever behaviors you set them up to do.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 25, 2020

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

he has earned his nap

If he can hang out with us and be dead at the same time, he can hang out with us and be dead and nap at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Its Rinaldo posted:

He was napping for fifteen years!

Just want to have him and Feo Ul to dramatically appear to poo poo talk me like my own fantasy royal Statler and Waldorf :(

Going to plays while you're sitting around waiting for your engineered evil empire to commit crimes while blowing up planetary populations doesn't exactly halt the boot stomping on the human face forever behaviors you set them up to do.

Sure, but like, a lot of Garlemald's whole deal seems to have initially involved a lot of genuine improvement for the lives of individual Garleans, and of course Allag for a very long time was a genuinely thriving and prosperous empire which bettered the lives of a lot of people before degenerating into its latter decadence of monstrous tyranny.

Doesn't excuse the evil fascistic stages, but it implies Emet was doing a lot of genuine nation-building as well as "setting up unwieldy nightmare state prone to collapse." You need a prosperous stage before your empire can fall apart sufficiently nastily.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 25, 2020