Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Mustaine went full Alex Jones chud so maybe that's not the best endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey this is apparently extremely old news but my twitter feed is blowing up with refugees from Jared LEGO’s private island sex cult and it sounds just absolutely hosed. I can play a couple of 30StM songs on guitar but wasn’t a fan of this dude and he’s a legit terrible actor, IMO, but I guess he made enough money to buy an island then have his rich fans fly to this island to become his groupie wives...

The Lego Batman Movie spinoff got weird

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Milana Vayntrub is best known at the ATT girl from the cheeks but is also a comedian and actress in other things.

A cadre of men basically have become so obsessed with her that they have sexually harassed her online to the point where ATT has disabled comments on any social media post featuring her. This weekend she posted a selfie in a cute dress as she was going out and the comments were so sexual and toxic so went on IG live to tell people they need to stop and how unacceptable it was, but broke down crying as a bunch of men kept talking about her body live. Really hosed up. SheRatesDogs screenshotted some of the comments. It's just disgusting men think this is funny.

https://twitter.com/SheRatesDogs/status/1297711832665214977?s=19

She's a sexual assault survivor btw

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I listen to a comedy interview podcast called Last Laugh, and the guest most recently was Ron Funches, one of the funniest and nicest guys ever. During the interview he sort of directly wonders outloud “do the people at Netflix not think to vet these men before signing over 50 million dollar contracts without doing any investigating whatsoever? Not like Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle, but like D’Elia and Louis CK, right? What’s going on at Netflix that you are throwing around truly life-changing amounts of money and aren’t doing anything approaching due diligence to protect your brand?”

which is 1) pretty refreshing to hear, he’s a good guy, but then 2) Willstein (the interviewer) mentioned that Netflix is supposedly in talks with CK and Chappelle to put out a new joint special between them, like a 2 hour special with Louis opening for Chappelle, or select clips from CK’s spots on Chappelle’s tour.

What would Netflix’s open promotion of Louis CK and his new material do for the conversation? For the #MeToo movement? I’ve heard and read lots and lots of thoughts on the idea that Joe Biden//Tara Reade basically killed the mainstream momentum of #MeToo, by basically driving a wedge between liberals and leftists, and fracturing the movement, which was already sort of stumbling from Asia Argento. Louis CK coming back into the serious mainstream would basically signify, to many I think, that the wave has broken, that nothing matters, or that simply going away for a little while is the best you can hope for.

Overall it seems like a little bit “Sky is falling” but Willstein is very well connected in the comedy world, if he’s using his platform to spread rumors that CK might get a new Netflix deal that means there is meat on those bones for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Milana Vayntrub is best known at the ATT girl from the cheeks but is also a comedian and actress in other things.

A cadre of men basically have become so obsessed with her that they have sexually harassed her online to the point where ATT has disabled comments on any social media post featuring her. This weekend she posted a selfie in a cute dress as she was going out and the comments were so sexual and toxic so went on IG live to tell people they need to stop and how unacceptable it was, but broke down crying as a bunch of men kept talking about her body live. Really hosed up. SheRatesDogs screenshotted some of the comments. It's just disgusting men think this is funny.

Jesus.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh God that's real? I heard about that a while ago but I thought it was a loving joke, just a "haha, that weirdo Jared Leto started a cult, how 2020 is that?" spoof story.

Holy poo poo it's real. gently caress.

Don't worry, it's just a CIA op.

http://newlevellers.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-deep-politics-of-jared-letos-cult.html

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Honestly when I see those pictures my thoughts are "Oh whose the director that looks like an interesting movie, great color pallette"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's not that different from bands that do cruises as floating festivals. Leto remaining in the public sphere is what's weird.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1297976609199120385?s=20

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I mean they can legally say "Confessed Child Rapist" Roman Polanksi I don't know why that's never taken off.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I didn't realize an Oscar came with a coupon for one free sexual assault of a minor.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Crackbone posted:

I didn't realize an Oscar came with a coupon for one free sexual assault of a minor.

Those swag bags are getting WAY out of hand.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

AceOfFlames posted:

Those swag bags are getting WAY out of hand.

I think it was in the last page or two that someone mentioned there was an uncomfortable frequency of jokes. I understand it's SA, but stuff like this can really limit the people who want or feel comfortable to participate. Would they want to risk their pain becoming a punchline?

Something to consider.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
It's a joke aimed at an organization that for a long time supported Polanski, and not aimed at survivors.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
If anything maybe it will force them to take back more Oscars from abusers.

hahahahhahahah

*sigh*

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

WTF is this poo poo.

But for real though, there were things written about Leto loving underage girls a decade ago on forums, surprised nobody has gone on the record.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anonymous John posted:

WTF is this poo poo.

But for real though, there were things written about Leto loving underage girls a decade ago on forums, surprised nobody has gone on the record.

Yeah I dunno this weird conspiratorial nutter poo poo about Jared Leto only muddies the water on why this guy is or is not a problem. "For the past year, I’ve been working hard on a book project, which is going to offer insight into a lot of the bigger contemporary political trends." I usually hear those kinds of sentences from people storing their urine in jars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, until it drops it just smacks of "I always hated that guy!"

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Leto’s fondness for underage fans is pretty common knowledge at this point, no?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

https://twitter.com/raynefq/status/1298296242523447296

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Anonymous John posted:

WTF is this poo poo.

Yeah I read that article and I came out of it thinking about whether this was how people become Qanon people.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It seems like a really unfortunate modern issue where up-and-comers like Milana are required to engage with the "fanbase" very directly while working to build their brand and stuff. I don't mean "unfortunate" in a way of removing responsibility from the harassers, I just mean, it seems like creepy celebrity worshippers/objectifiers have never had such large-scale direct and immediate access to the targets of their mental illness.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's hosed that if you're a nobody from some marketing campaign or a voice actor in a video game / tv show or whatever you are now basically expected to be a brand ambassador and have to deal with the worst people on the internet.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Like one of the first comments in that screenshot in the tweet is some dickhead literally arguing the actress is at fault for having tits. Like what in the gently caress. How much of a hosed up broken-brained dipshit creep do you have to be to think that is a reasonable argument?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Badonkdonk doesn't even refer to boobs can't these psychopaths do anything right.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d like to take a second to push back against posters saying we can’t make jokes or funny posts about the stuff in this thread.

The most salient point, and the only really relevant one, is that for many people on SA humor is the only way we can process the nightmares of waking life. Some people get mad, some get angry, some of us have literally no choice but to laugh and crack jokes, because it’s our only method of participating in the discussion. I don’t think any of the humor over the last few pages has been at any of the victim’s expense (or punching down), and the idea that we shouldn’t make jokes or quips or humorous observations about the way the cult leader dresses or whatever is just a way of gate keeping the discussion from people who don’t view the world or process emotions the same way that you do.

If this thread is supposed to just be a joyless tunnel of darkness and pedofile conspiracies that only gets darker and more twisted and sad the longer it goes on... I don’t know that doesn’t seem like a good format for a discussion to me.

Someone can both take something seriously while also making a joke out of it, and it’s important for people to understand that for some of us it’s the only thing we know how to do.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There isn't a problem with people making jokes in here. There is a problem with them making bad ones where the target of the humor is the victim, or the punchline is how hot they think the victim is.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Yeah I think it’s fair to call out “than that broads too fuckable to cheat on am I right fellas!?”

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Yeah I dunno this weird conspiratorial nutter poo poo about Jared Leto only muddies the water on why this guy is or is not a problem. "For the past year, I’ve been working hard on a book project, which is going to offer insight into a lot of the bigger contemporary political trends." I usually hear those kinds of sentences from people storing their urine in jars.

I honestly thought it was still a good read, and all the cult imagery and related branding with 30 Seconds to Mars has been a thing for years. Their live shows are notoriously bad and tend to consist of Leto trying to hype up the crowd like some sort of deity.

But the band is also obviously a front to access underage girls, which is why I was surprised it wasn't brought up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've said it before, but dudes learn to play guitar as teenagers to impress teenage girls and some of them just decide that's all they're interested in.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Anonymous John posted:

I honestly thought it was still a good read, and all the cult imagery and related branding with 30 Seconds to Mars has been a thing for years. Their live shows are notoriously bad and tend to consist of Leto trying to hype up the crowd like some sort of deity.

But the band is also obviously a front to access underage girls, which is why I was surprised it wasn't brought up.

Let me also be clear that I don't doubt Leto rumors based on this blog post

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

There isn't a problem with people making jokes in here. There is a problem with them making bad ones where the target of the humor is the victim, or the punchline is how hot they think the victim is.

Jokes mocking the state of the world like saying the Oscars give a get out of rape free certificate are funny because the organization is a cesspool of exploitation that has dismissed, covered up, or ignored rampant abuses from powerful people for the sake of prestige and money.

Jokes that ask why a person would bother cheating/abuser other women when they married a perfect 10 smokeshow is not funny because it makes it seem like its all based on attractiveness rather then gross abuses of power and privilege against vulnerable people.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Basically, this thread is not the thread to get horney in.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1300542793916522498

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That sounds like a plot line from Riverdale.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wow I can’t think of something less comforting than knowing that the FBI has infiltrated popular media and is keeping tabs on underground pedofile rings in Hollywood by becoming celebrities

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
They helped get Poppa Poutine off the streets, who am I to judge.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow I can’t think of something less comforting than knowing that the FBI has infiltrated popular media and is keeping tabs on underground pedofile rings in Hollywood by becoming celebrities

You wont believe the ten celebreties that are secretly FBI agents keeping tabs on Hollywood pedo rings - click the article to find out!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The first thing that pops into my head is how the cops will arrest some dumb teen for marijuana possession and then use them as an undercover agent to try and bust dealers and poo poo.

I kinda think she got caught trying to buy a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think the FBI is good but if this means less damaged kids I guess it’s good

Edited for less doom

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 3, 2020