Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Lovecraft Country was pretty wild tonight - I thought for sure that what happened tonight would have been a multi-episode arc but they blew through it all in one night. No idea what to expect for the rest of the season now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is there a thread yet? But yeah the episode blew though episodes of plot. I appreciate that.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

GreenNight posted:

Is there a thread yet? But yeah the episode blew though episodes of plot. I appreciate that.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3936898

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished tng season 3. I bet a lot of people were pissed at this season's last episode too. Now the question is, should I wait a year to get the full effect of season 4 episode 1?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Klowner posted:

Just finished tng season 3. I bet a lot of people were pissed at this season's last episode too. Now the question is, should I wait a year to get the full effect of season 4 episode 1?

Nah, just a few days. BoBW Part 2 is a bit of a letdown so I wouldn’t jump straight into it and ruin the high of the Part 1 cliffhanger, but you should go in knowing that S4E2, “Family”, is pretty much the real conclusion to that two-parter.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also season 3 felt very different from the prior seasons. More focused, more formulaic. It still takes its time but every scene is dedicated to advancing either the A plot or the B plot. I kind of miss season 1's attitude of "let's follow this random character while he fucks around for 20 minutes"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 3 is when it gets really good. Bunch of all timers in that season, including Yesterday’s Enterprise , which is probably the consensus best episode.

Also BoBW 2 is not a let down FOH

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

zoux posted:

Season 3 is when it gets really good. Bunch of all timers in that season, including Yesterday’s Enterprise , which is probably the consensus best episode.

The Inner Light :colbert:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sirotan posted:

The Inner Light :colbert:

That's pretty much the only episode that leaps to mind when anyone asks me about ST:TNG

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Yesterday’s Enterprise is the first truly great episode of TNG. The Inner Light is (deservedly) an all time favorite among Trekkies and non-Trekkies alike.

But Darmok is TNG at its absolute best. Whenever I remember it, I’m compelled to watch it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Slamhound posted:

Yesterday’s Enterprise is the first truly great episode of TNG. The Inner Light is (deservedly) an all time favorite among Trekkies and non-Trekkies alike.

But Darmok is TNG at its absolute best. Whenever I remember it, I’m compelled to watch it.

:hai:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRMVtm2voVA

The first trailer for this made it look really bad but now I am interested.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

They air a show about young women trying to negotiate feminism and fashion, while balancing their personal and professional lives. If anything, a show about social distancing is too modern for them.

It’s not even the concept or the quality that annoys me, though I’m sure they’re both terrible, it’s that goddamn title. It wasn’t clever the first time someone used it for their Medium article about online dating during the pandemic and it wasn’t clever the ten millionth time I’ve seen it in the last six months, either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Inner Light might be one of the best Star Treks but DS9's The Visitor is slightly superior.

They kind of tarnish the legacy of Inner Light in the time travel movie when he trashes the flute.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mu Zeta posted:

The Inner Light might be one of the best Star Treks but DS9's The Visitor is slightly superior.

They kind of tarnish the legacy of Inner Light in the time travel movie when he trashes the flute.

Are you thinking of the Kurlan naiskos that gets tossed aside at the end of Generations? Because the flute survived all the way into a deleted scene of Nemesis, where it's being displayed in Picard's office.

Edit: fixed image

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 24, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you’re talking about the artifact he tosses aside in the crashed Enterprise that’s Generations, not First Contact, and it’s not the Ressikan Flute, it’s a different artifact from The Chase.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon's adaptation of the Culture series of books is apparently not going forward. The head writer says it was a decision of the rights holders but wasn't based on anything that was happening on the production end (which didn't get farther than a series bible.)

I'm disappointed because they would have eventually gotten to adapting Use of Weapons which I really enjoyed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Plot twist, it'll suddenly reappear on Quibi

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Amazon's adaptation of the Culture series of books is apparently not going forward. The head writer says it was a decision of the rights holders but wasn't based on anything that was happening on the production end (which didn't get farther than a series bible.)

I'm disappointed because they would have eventually gotten to adapting Use of Weapons which I really enjoyed.

gently caress!

I was really looking forwards to that, I love the Culture books.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Next rewatch thread is American Crime Story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This sounds like a goddamn parody but Greg Berlanti is producing a gritty live action Powerpuff Girls series for the CW.

quote:

In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Let’s hope it goes SURPRISINGLY DARKtm

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I hope they still have nubbin arms and legs.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The upside is there's no way they can make a show worse than the 2016 reboot was.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
What the hell happened to Lovecraft Country’s second episode? It felt so rushed, like whole important sequences just happened offscreen or were cut entirely to fit three episodes worth of plot into a single episode. I’ve never seen a show do such breakneck plotting two episodes in.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Also BoBW 2 is not a let down FOH

I just watched it and yeah I'm not sure what people were expecting if they thought it was terrible, of course they're going to stop the borg and rescue Picard, otherwise there wouldn't be a show!

The episode immediately following that one is really drat good.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I was really impressed with Dave, having never heard of Lil Dicky until seeing it, and thought he tackled some topics well and he was funny and that one episode with him and his girlfriend was brilliant and heartbreaking. More people should see it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If they play it as a comedy that could be hilarious.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's Diablo Cody so I have weirdly high hopes despite the fury my love for PPG should be filling me with.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
lmao did you make that boa gang tag or did someone else, esp

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I did lmao

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
smh why am i not surprised

Also like i said so long as they can translate the flying well I will be hopefully optimistic

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What the hell happened to Lovecraft Country’s second episode? It felt so rushed, like whole important sequences just happened offscreen or were cut entirely to fit three episodes worth of plot into a single episode. I’ve never seen a show do such breakneck plotting two episodes in.

I liked it. 10 years ago an entire season of television would have been just that episode to stretch the sets.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

smh why am i not surprised

Also like i said so long as they can translate the flying well I will be hopefully optimistic

Man you're lucky this isn't the Smallville era because then they just would refuse to fly as a sign of how angry they are at their childhood or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I just want to know if they're gonna use that patented Alita big eye technology

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Following the book, I think that was the perfect place to end the second episode. That's all the boring setup for the real story that made me put the book down for a few months.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Honestly, it would be unfilmable in my mind. And that's okay. They're good books.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1298275335163830272

2020 is undefeated

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

dear god why won't they stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We have enough lovely centrist in real life.