Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

What's the significance of his being a "white man?" What does his whiteness have to do with his being a creep and a douchebag?

It's how he got away with it for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

What's the significance of his being a "white man?" What does his whiteness have to do with his being a creep and a douchebag?
I'm sure it's just a total coincidence but somehow that's one of the common attributes of all the coworkers and friends I've had who were making nazi jokes or racist comments, and also coincidentally being toxic in many other ways without being fired on short notice.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
One time the Skullgirls community tried to get a sanctioned tournament at fighting game event. Unfortunately, they missed the bracket requirements by single player. Mike Z found out about a guy who frequently went to the game's both to play casuals, but they didn't want to sign up for the tournament. Mike proceeded to meltdown pointing out the guy who didn't sign up for the tournament and but played the game and tried to use him as a poster child example of "what the problem with the community is."

J.A.B.C. posted:

https://twitter.com/dapurplesharpie/status/1297637542305697794?s=19

I feel bad for the SG community. Especially when Sharpie and SonicFox came out and said 'Hey, what Mike did sucks but still support LabZero

It really does. The reason why Skullgirls has so much life in it is because the community works their rear end off to make sure the game is still relevant. Such as organizing tournaments, plug the game when they can, set up fundraisers to fly players (including international players) to tournaments. If only the face behind the game wasn't such a butt.

Probably a joke about how Wayforward devs also make games with hypersexualized teenagers.

In addition to what's been already said, there is also the fact that the team likely wanted to do thing such as include more inclusive characters or make certain changes to characters Mike didn't approve of.

For example, every single character in the base game was either white or white passing. It wasn't until Big Band that you got a person in the roster who clearly wasn't white. And Mike Z originally wanted to make Big Band as "the dumb character" until others likely advised against it.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3

Technowolf posted:

It's how he got away with it for so long.

I'm sure there's some truth to that. However, It seems to me that his position as Project Lead, Lead Designer, etc. on Skullgirls (so his position of power) has more to do with his getting away with bad behavior for so long, rather than his being "white."

Moreover, the whiteness comment in that tweet strikes me as a pretty lame attempt to piggyback onto the BLM movement.

Chev posted:

I'm sure it's just a total coincidence but somehow that's one of the common attributes of all the coworkers and friends I've had who were making nazi jokes or racist comments, and also coincidentally being toxic in many other ways without being fired on short notice.

Dude, where are you working, and who are your friends? Yeesh

Edit: Upon reflection, this is probably not the thread to have this discussion in, and I regret broaching the topic. My apologies.

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 24, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Oh, he's just a wacky guy! Remember BlazBlue! haha, what a neato Russian accent, he's like Zangief irl :xd:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

In addition to what's been already said, there is also the fact that the team likely wanted to do thing such as include more inclusive characters or make certain changes to characters Mike didn't approve of.

For example, every single character in the base game was either white or white passing. It wasn't until Big Band that you got a person in the roster who clearly wasn't white. And Mike Z originally wanted to make Big Band as "the dumb character" until others likely advised against it.
Just for clarification, the original roster was mostly set up by Alex Ahad and the only changes between what he wanted and what we got at launch was the removal of Squigly and Umbrella who were instead replaced by Valentine and Double. I hadn't heard about Mike wanting to make BB a dumb character as I only remember him wanting Big Band in as a guarantee because he wanted to use a big body character as a way to improve his engine. I don't doubt it though but a link would be appreciated.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Time to strike while the iron is hot. Please come back the Kickstarter for my new original game Cranium Lasses.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Saint Freak posted:

Time to strike while the iron is hot. Please come back the Kickstarter for my new original game Cranium Lasses.

Why would anyone support this charlatan when they could instead help make my dream game Bone Ladies a reality? My company's called NullPlace and our Kickstarter page is right here

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Just for clarification, the original roster was mostly set up by Alex Ahad and the only changes between what he wanted and what we got at launch was the removal of Squigly and Umbrella who were instead replaced by Valentine and Double. I hadn't heard about Mike wanting to make BB a dumb character as I only remember him wanting Big Band in as a guarantee because he wanted to use a big body character as a way to improve his engine. I don't doubt it though but a link would be appreciated.

Interesting about the Ahead stuff.

In terms of Big Band, I heard from one of Mike's close friends. So take it for what you will.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
you guys know discount skullgirls already exists right (fearless night)

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Fearless Night's being reworked as an Arcsys-style cel shaded 2.5d fighter though so if you're in it for the 2d sprites it's not gonna be a substitute anymore.

Chev fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 24, 2020

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Please also look forward to my Street Fighter knock off of uh....Road....Warrior wait no gently caress

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Why play SKULL GIRLS when you can play ARM JOE? We've got:

-Les Miserables!
-Robo-Valjean
-Regular Valjean!
-So much more!!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No joke I'd totally help crowdfund Arm Joe Xrd.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

dragon enthusiast posted:

Fearless Night is discount Guilty Gear.

Chev posted:

Fearless Night's being reworked as an Arcsys-style cel shaded 2.5d fighter though so if you're in it for the 2d sprites it's not gonna be a substitute anymore.

Well that's disappointing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Chev posted:

sprite art is cool and all but it's not even in the top 5 reasons i play skullgirls instead of something else. does it have GGPO? does it have 6-button, capcom-style normals?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Saoshyant posted:

Why would anyone support this charlatan when they could instead help make my dream game Bone Ladies a reality? My company's called NullPlace and our Kickstarter page is right here
All teen girls! All nude! All fleshless skeletons!

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does it have GGPO? does it have 6-button, capcom-style normals?
It's got rollback networking but not GGPO, a custom-made (and also freely available) alternative called ShobuNetwork instead. It's good!

Controls are Guilty Gear style.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 24, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Too bad it hasn't updated in a while (like 3 years?) because I remember watching Zinac stream him working on the game and it was always chill and I liked the idea of a more GG inspired game. Plus Zinac is a sick Faust player and all around cool dude in my book.

punk rebel ecks posted:

In terms of Big Band, I heard from one of Mike's close friends. So take it for what you will.

I gotcha.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you want a 2D GG clone I recommend having a look at E's Laf++:

https://twitter.com/FreeEslaf/status/1039148369996787712

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

is e's laf++ the dumbest fighting game title

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I dunno, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] is pretty far up there. the [cl-r] stands for "clear" as, I quote, "cl-r" shines within the "Exe:Late"!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

is e's laf++ the dumbest fighting game title

That's ++fal s'e.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

That's ++fal s'e.

This is just the bad guys from Final Fantasy XIII

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Chev posted:

I dunno, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[cl-r] is pretty far up there. the [cl-r] stands for "clear" as, I quote, "cl-r" shines within the "Exe:Late"!

Under night the in-birth: calcium, lime, and rust

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

How can blood be "melty" when it is already in a liquid state?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Reiley posted:

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Ritual+Blood

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ah, Kos... or some say Kosm... can you make a hard read?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Reiley posted:

red blood cells can be frozen for a decade for storage. not having played fighting games in a bathroom stall, I am unfamiliar with the storyline, so I assume everyone works at a blood donation center until I am told otherwise

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

We call her fish in the FGC to not mix her up with tentacle (Ebrietas in the US).

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
https://twitter.com/kinucakes/status/1297985084604129280

Another w/ more of Mike being pretty creepy and just a general huge rear end in a top hat. This is way too much

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SirKibbles posted:

Another w/ more of Mike being pretty creepy and just a general huge rear end in a top hat. This is way too much

RIP lab zero

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Two, actually. Probably more but I don't know everyone's twitters.

https://twitter.com/personasama/status/1297982976156774400

Chev fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 24, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

SirKibbles posted:

quote:

[Mike Z] once suggested that I masturbate when I told him I couldn't sleep, and on another occasion suggested I 'help' him with his unfulfilled sexual needs. . . . I did try to talk directly to him about how I was uncomfortable in 2017, and in return he called me a hypocrite and blamed me for how I dressed. He said he didn't want sexual harassment training. If I wanted to keep my job, I felt like I had to just deal with it.

:catstare:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all of these eyes inside and outside of my head and I still fell for the tick trap :negative:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/junkpuyo/status/1297991890537598976

this guy quit and he didnt even publicly list that he worked for labzero, which has gotta be some kinda record

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Didn't Alex Ajad get booted from Lab Zero partway through Indivisible or am I making that up?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Didn't Alex Ajad get booted from Lab Zero partway through Indivisible or am I making that up?

He left in 2018 and the most we know now is that it was a board decision.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/junkpuyo/status/1297991890537598976

this guy quit and he didnt even publicly list that he worked for labzero, which has gotta be some kinda record

I like how his timeline is basically just him saying he quit, RTs from other LabZero people that quit and then a cavalcade of booby OC waifu fanart. The whiplash is real.

Mike Z always came off as abrasive but I can't say I saw "serial harasser" coming. Also don't hit on your subordinates, that's like rule #1 of management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

mango sentinel posted:

So against all odds that was probably unrelated to this, actually.

edit: I swear this is the only Bad Twitter Reply I'll spread but lmao "Liked by: Dark_Tzitzimime."

https://twitter.com/altoraiser/status/1297753565750951937

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 24, 2020