Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TV IV › Cobra Kai Season 3 - I guess someone at Netflix really liked Cobra Kai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Netflix will probably bring some better quality control to the table at least. S2 had a few weird issues that felt like they should have been easy to spot

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

PeterCat posted:

If they keep this production schedule the "high schoolers" are going to end up middle aged.

Wasn't Ralph Macchio 20-something at the time of the first movie?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

precision posted:

I think Netflix will probably bring some better quality control to the table at least. S2 had a few weird issues that felt like they should have been easy to spot

Eh sounds like plenty of Netflix shows.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OneTruePecos posted:

Maybe, but he was visibly 52 in the third one.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

OneTruePecos posted:

Yes, and nobody will ever understand how he managed to look 12.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

August 28th on Netflix!! It's coming.

https://twitter.com/CobraKaiSeries/status/1297549161106202626?s=20

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Maybe, but he was visibly 52 in the third one.

The best part about 3 is that he was older than the "Vietnam vet" main bad guy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I'm sure YT got paid out or something but this is a habit with netflix to buy up a series, and Stamp their Netflix Original on it and everyone forgets it was somewhere else.

Lucifer is a good example, but the move to netflix was such a massive jump in quality and pacing of the show, so much that the first 3 seasons are almost dragging it down.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
There's a few seconds of season 3 footage in this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ye8NYZ0ys

I think it's Chozen!

Sadly, it also says S3 is 2021.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So disappointed to see 2021. I assume it got pushed until then because netflix has no other finished content for 2021.

TheCenturion posted:

I think it's Chozen!

I agree. The only other guess I'd have would be a secret son of Miyagi. I hope it isn't this.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ewww yeah I hope it isn't what you spoilered.

Is there any word on Elisabeth Shue joining the cast ?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

isaboo posted:

Ewww yeah I hope it isn't what you spoilered.

Is there any word on Elisabeth Shue joining the cast ?

Not really.

Wikipedia posted:

She has expressed ambivalence appearing in Cobra Kai, reprising her role, Ali, from the original 1984 film The Karate Kid.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 25, 2020

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
http://www.ign.com/articles/2020/08...nintendo-switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6KJ3QXuks

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

lmao that looks insanely lovely

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm hoping that's an intentional fakeout, because there's very little justification for that big tease at the end of the last season otherwise.

I really just wanna know Miguel's fate. Poor kid

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That game does look terrible, but I'm a big enough fan that I'd buy it on sale for $4.99 or something. I like me a good brawler and it kind of has potential to not suck, just really lovely graphics.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I'm surprised there hasn't been a scene yet where Johnny plays Karate Kid on NES.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

TheCenturion posted:

I think it's Chozen!

Sadly, it also says S3 is 2021.

The high school kids are all gonna be 30 by time they make season 4.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I never knew this existed and just watched the first episode on netflix and holy poo poo i love it.

Edit, i now have my 20 year old son watching the og film for the first time.

Fumble fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 28, 2020

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Fumble posted:

I never knew this existed and just watched the first episode on netflix and holy poo poo i love it.

Edit, i now have my 20 year old son watching the og film for the first time.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this show being discovered again on Netflix. It's too good to have such a small amount of people that watched it on YT.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I just stumbled across this on Netflix yesterday, unaware of its existence. I managed to binge the first season. It's not flawless but it's definitely solid and leagues ahead of what I'd expect a resurrection-of-an-old-movie-franchise-as-a-tv-series to be.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 29, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My sister just asked me "Is Cobra Kai any good?" and I just replied back with "yes" about 15 times

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It sometimes suffers from "okay, now the plot is really gonna' begin, and then we just recycle old issues the show's already dealt with, but I still love it quite a bit.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't mind that because so much of this show is about vicious cycles. Repeating the same issues we've already seen is just another representation of that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Yes, I wasn't expecting a show this stupid-looking to be a pretty compelling exploration of cycles of parental abuse.

I obviously didn't pay for YouTubeRed or wherever this was at first, so I basically assumed it was a CollegeHumor skit from 2009 that somehow got ad funding. Turns out, it's...surprisingly good. It's pretty clever, really, to take the dimensionless rich-kid bully from an 80's movie, and use him as the jumping-off point to a discussion of toxic masculinity and fatherhood. I definitely wasn't wanting for any new Karate Kid media, but it seems like it's merely using the source material to inform a different story that stands on its own.

They also manage to strike the right tone for how ridiculous and contrived the plot has to be to function. The sensei of the Evil Dojo has a secret son, and his good guy rival trains him in his own martial art style to symbolically defeat evil in a fighting tournament. It's essentially the plot of an SNK fighting game from the 90's, except NOBODY is Japanese and it takes place in the San Fernando Valley.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I knew this existed but never wanted to shell out for YouTube Premium.

God drat this show is great and I love it. I want season 3 tomorrow.

Am I the only one actually kinda surprised by the acting chops of Zabka in particular?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh cool there's a thread for Karate High. It's my new favorite show. It's so humble and yet so charming.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Am I the only one actually kinda surprised by the acting chops of Zabka in particular?

Zabka is a revelation. It's cool to see Macchio getting work but Zabka carries the show. I really hope this gives his career a shot in the arm; I'd watch him on loving Teletubbies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think the Ralph Macchio real crane kick was on the Conan show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dChKENkLLk

etalian fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 2, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Zabka is a revelation. It's cool to see Macchio getting work but Zabka carries the show. I really hope this gives his career a shot in the arm; I'd watch him on loving Teletubbies.

I agree so much. I'm kind of pissed off at Hollywood for letting this dude just linger for 30 years when he clearly has talent and range.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rhyno posted:

I agree so much. I'm kind of pissed off at Hollywood for letting this dude just linger for 30 years when he clearly has talent and range.

Zabka isn't a bad actor at all. He got typecast as the high school / college bully so as he got older and couldn't pass for that age he got hosed.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I knew this existed but never wanted to shell out for YouTube Premium.

God drat this show is great and I love it. I want season 3 tomorrow.

Welcome to the dojo my friend. The wait for season 3 may be long but remember Cobra Kai never dies.

I also was surprised by Zabka's acting when I first started watching. I'm glad he did a good job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Season 3 is in the can btw, Netflix is trying to build hype before releasing it next year. Also, if you believe their homepage anyway, it's the #1 show on Netflix this week.

The characters/actors are really what makes this show special, you really like everyone. Except the Jack Black guy, he sucks.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rhyno posted:

Barney Stinson was right all along.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Welcome to the dojo my friend. The wait for season 3 may be long but remember Cobra Kai never dies.

I also was surprised by Zabka's acting when I first started watching. I'm glad he did a good job.

Honestly, the show never would have been the hit it was without him and his acting. If it had just been some sequel with Macchio it would have been...OK. Johnny's whole arc and the way Zabka portrays him grabs you from the first episode.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
It turns out that there wasn't really a market in Hollywood wood for a poor man's Denis Leary; the one was more than sufficient.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Thranguy posted:

It turns out that there wasn't really a market in Hollywood wood for a poor man's Denis Leary; the one was more than sufficient.
You take that back.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I’ve had so many conversations about this show thanks to it dropping on Netflix which makes me insanely happy as I was fully expecting it to disappear if YouTube kept it.

Now how do we get a Hawk spin off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It'll happen after season 4 when he moves to NY for college and has to teach a young inner city kid that knowing how to fight doesn't teach you when to fight.