Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

mortons stork posted:

I did not know this. Not that it matters that much tbf, there is really very little pressure. I nailed the run going the long way around on my first try

Yeah it has to be doable this way because of the "beginner's luck" achievement. So it's pretty generous about the timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think a lot of people hear the end-game track that starts playing when you remove the ATP core and misinterpret it as being the supernova track because of the similarity, and start rushing way harder than necessary. Assuming you grab the core as early as possible, you should have enough time to complete the whole run with 10~ minutes to spare. Even if you miss the first or second pass of the sand column you'll have plenty of time to take it slowly through Dark Bramble.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A melancholy ending if there ever was one. Still helping create a new universe is certainly a neat way to go.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just finished this game the other day. It went from 'huh, that does look pretty interesting' to my absolute favourite game in years.

I think I spent way more time on the warp core run than I needed to. Because Ash Twin doesn't open up until later in the cycle I went straight to Dark Bramble, tried finding the vessel without using the escape pod, then if I could I input all the coordinates and left my beacon there so I could definitely find the vessel next time. If all that went well then I'd go to ATP, grab the core then just plug it in and flip the switch. I practiced that loop about six or so times before one really went well and I thought 'poo poo, this is it.' and grabbed the core to do it for real. That music kicking in for the final run was so drat good. Real Sunshine vibes.

Anyone do it that way or am I alone in making things needlessly complicated :D ?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I encourage anyone who played the game and has a VR headset to give the mod a try. It's absolutely amazing how huge and real everything feels with it. I guess I'm really lucky because i have absolutely zero motion sickness flying in zero G in VR, it's more the walking on planets that gives me issues. I still have to curb my speed though and given the clunky controls of tools in the VR mod I doubt anyone could ever play the game this way as a first attempt, but it's really great for visiting places you love in the game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Tirranek, leaving your probe at the vessel is redundant, it's selectable as a waypoint after you've found it the first time.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Chev posted:

Tirranek, leaving your probe at the vessel is redundant, it's selectable as a waypoint after you've found it the first time.

Wellll, poo poo. That makes things simpler.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's still important if you want to get the achievement for winning the game in the first cycle, to be fair.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well no, cause you can still do it with time to spare by going the signal way.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Welp, just "beat" this after about 20 hours play time. Amazing experience, especially the ending sequence which has to be one of the best I've ever seen.

Two areas that I had some frustration with:

Quantum moon: I thought the Nomai shuttle was the key to getting there, so I spent a few cycles where I'd recall the shuttle to Brittle Hollow and try to wait until the moon was nearby before launching it. Even after doing the whole Tower of Quantum Trials, which was a fantastic little bit by the way, it never occurred to me to use the probe camera.

Ash Twin Project: I waaay overthought it at first. I read the clue about how teleport pads don't target the opposite pad precisely, and thought that meant you had to find an alignment between two other teleports (like say from White Hole to Brittle Hollow) that would get "intercepted" by the Ash Twin being in between the two points at the right time. Obviously that would require a very specific conjunction so I figured it would be a scripted time, and I spent some time looking for signposts as to when and where that would be. Even after looking up the real solution, it was really frustrating trying to get on the pad until I realized that you wouldn't get sucked up if you're standing in the little nook. I could have sworn I got sucked up one time even while standing there, so I thought you just had to be split-second with your timing to jump on before you get lifted off.

Overall great game though. The non-linearity means the first 50% of the game or so is just choosing a different target and blasting off to poke around on it.

I think I hit all the main infodumps, but I'll keep messing around for a while to try and find any little easter eggs or other non-standard endings.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chev posted:

Well no, cause you can still do it with time to spare by going the signal way.

Before they added campfire-time-passing it was also something somewhat productive to do given the timing of things. Watching speedruns it seemed many of the earlier versions did that.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Quantum moon: I thought the Nomai shuttle was the key to getting there, so I spent a few cycles where I'd recall the shuttle to Brittle Hollow and try to wait until the moon was nearby before launching it. Even after doing the whole Tower of Quantum Trials, which was a fantastic little bit by the way, it never occurred to me to use the probe camera.

How has this happened twice in this thread

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

I had the same thought when I played, so make that three times. I think at least a few people (like myself) manage to muddle through the trials on Giant's Deep without actually understanding what they're doing, because they have an idea in their head that is incorrect but manages to work to get them through it. In my case I figured out that I needed to use the probe to "observe" quantum objects but thought that it only worked as like a "live feed" meaning I had to keep refreshing the photo to observe it. I later figured out that this wasn't necessary but it still managed to get me through the trials and completely miss how they would apply to the moon itself. I think it also might depend on the order you find things - if you find stuff sooner but never find a use for it, your brain is primed to make them more important than they necessarily are. This is especially the case with the gravity cannons because they really feel like they are important but are actually entirely for flavour.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
A lot of Brittle Hollow involves using Nomai technology to get around, so I figured the gravity cannon and shuttle were another part of that. I want to get to the moon, there's a shuttle that went to the moon, and controls that recover and launch the shuttle...

The other part that didn't click for me is the moon disappearing despite having it in view the entire time. It still seems kind of nonsensical because if the cloud cover doesn't "count" as observation per the quantum rules, then having a probe photo of the clouds from above shouldn't have any effect. Maybe having the clouds get thick enough to completely block out the light would have cued it better since that's established as something that triggers quantum movement, but AFAIK if never gets completely dark while you're passing through the clouds. So I just figured there was something else at work that I would learn about eventually.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

There’s a data entry about the shuttle being on the moon and no other apparent use for the shuttle so I also thought that you were supposed to use the cannon to shoot at the moon

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you think about real quantum mechanics, it's easy to assume that the probe has to be observing a state to maintain it, rather than the way it works where display of evidence of a past state is the thing that maintains that state. My understanding was that the probe's camera was the thing maintaining the state, not the picture it sent back - the same functionality the player's eyes have. With that assumption, you shoot your probe at the moon and at a certain point the camera can't function anymore, so you figure there must be another step. The shuttles are the only thing you know made it to the quantum moon, so it seems like they must be somehow relevant.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Arrhythmia posted:

Happened with me too. I thought it was to do with the dial that was in the black hole forge and you had to time standing on the warp pads. So I used the other, non-sandy warp from Ash Twin, then time walking back with the dial lining up in the black hole forge. Was convinced that I had already tried the other tower and it wasn't correct, because by that point it seemed way too simple. That place makes your (my) mind go, 'Woahh OK, sand, can't use that one then. Let's try something else then' and I didn't think about it again until way later.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Something fun I noticed playing around last night is the landing camera can pick up ghost matter, in real time, since it's likely the exact same tech as the probe.

Another nice touch is if you're trying to land on the quantum moon, have a photo of it but look at your landing camera, the moon disappears- in all likelihood because the hatchling is looking at the camera instead of the photo.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There was some text somewhere saying that Nomai use their "third eye" to do that kind of manipulation. So by analogy, Hearthians can use their "fifth eye".

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Just wanted to say that I finally got around to playing this and it was a rad experience. This tiny solar system is one of the most creative and inventive video game environments ever designed. Being able to piece together clues and solve the environmental puzzles sparked such a joy in me that very few recent games have been able to do. I think BOTW is the only such game where exploring was its own reward. The general mood of the game was this odd mix of frantic rushing to beat the time limit, existential dread from the loneliness of the cold uncaring cosmos, and chill campfire moments that really worked when blended altogether.

I will echo everyone else's complaints about the Ash Twin Project teleporter and the entirety of Dark Bramble, because that place is scary and unfun. But outside of that, I could gush about everything else.

I wish i could wipe my memories and play this fresh again. Although in the next time around, i hope they fix the auto pilot so it doesn't fly me into the sun whenever i want to get to the Twin planets.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

There's no need to fix that, that's its intended behavior. Careening you into the sun I mean.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Is it that hard to ask for an auto pilot in fiction that isn't evil?

Outer Wilds' auto pilot? Evil

Wall-E's auto pilot? Evil

Airplane's auto pilot? Well, maybe not evil but he couldn't land the plane safely.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

DemoneeHo posted:

This tiny solar system is one of the most creative and inventive video game environments ever designed.

The environments are so well designed that it took me over 12 hours to realize that they consisted of video game clichés: "forest world", "desert world", "water world", "ice world", "lava world", "floating platform world", "haunted house world", "warp zone".

In true Zelda fashion, one of the most memorable challenges was the water temple.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DemoneeHo posted:

Is it that hard to ask for an auto pilot in fiction that isn't evil?

Outer Wilds' auto pilot? Evil

Wall-E's auto pilot? Evil

Airplane's auto pilot? Well, maybe not evil but he couldn't land the plane safely.

what is evil about outer wilds' auto pilot

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Futaba Anzu posted:

what is evil about outer wilds' auto pilot

It has a perverse tendency to hurl me into the sun, despite telling it numerous times to not throw me into the sun.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The guy at the campfire tells you to be careful around the sun.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I would argue that if you've plotted a route from A to B and the most direct orbital path between A and B intersects the sun, you've asked to go into the sun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I would argue that if you've plotted a route from A to B and the most direct orbital path between A and B intersects the sun, you've asked to go into the sun.

I'd accept this if the auto pilot said "actually," before plunging you into the sun

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The 'actually' comes in the form of the giant looming sun you're plunging towards.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, it's just part of the hearthian low tech mindset. Everything you do is kinda barely tested, your ship is like 50% wood, 30 stolen tech and 20% actual good looking space ship.

They had to cut corners, the autopilot is just a fancy feature no one *really* needs.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I mean, as long as you ascertain the sun's not between you and your destination it does its job pretty well.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Don't use autopilot, have fun like I do seeing how high a top speed syou can head to your destination and how late you can rip it in reverse to just edge out not getting killed

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
yeah. an embarrassing amount of hours in both elite dangerous and kerbal space program made me instinctively turn autopilot off and I think I was better off for it. The only real issue I had with the ship was that the roll axis required a button press to access. I would've preferred using my HOTAS instead, but I still managed to get up to all kinds of ship-related shenanigans. It's pretty amazing where you could get that deceptively sturdy thing to go.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The autopilot travel time is where you unbelt and go read the ship's log. Extra fun for the scramble back to the pilot's seat when you notice something is going wrong.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think I got through about 90% of the game before I realised there was an autopilot. I'm glad it exists but I preferred the gradual learning curve of doing everything manually, sprinkled with impatient hubris flights that got me killed.

Feels a bit more on brand for the Hearthian space programme too.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
A few days ago I was hanging out with an old friend whom I had mentioned this game to several times. I told him it's pretty much a masterpiece, and that he and his girlfriend need to get it because they'll absolutely love it (we have a lot of similar taste in games) and it's available on Steam now so you don't have to deal with that Epic exclusive poo poo anymore. I was meticulous in making sure not to spoil anything, only giving abstract descriptions of the nature of the game. I had even offered to buy it for him, but he refused, saying he'd definitely check it out.

Anyway, fast forward to when we're hanging out. I mentioned the game, asking if he's planning to pick it up soon. He goes "Oh yeah, Outer Wilds. Eh, I just went to the wiki and read about everything. It honestly doesn't sound that interesting, especially now that I know the ending, and how the whole supernova gimmick works."

I wanted to loving strangle the guy.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Why is this person considered a friend? I would not play my instrument with this person, would you?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
While I'm not going to drop the dude as a friend over a video game, you can bet your rear end I won't let him live this one down. In the long run, I'm sure he'll forget about most of it within a year or so, since reading about it obviously wouldn't leave as much of an impression as actually playing the game.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SEVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

i had a work friend a few years ago who played NieR Automata and when he beat Route B and saw the trailer for Route C he said it looked cool and then uninstalled it to
play Destiny instead because he thought that was a trailer for a sequel.......then he started abusing FMLA, taking vacations with it around the time our friendship fell apart and he got fired after getting caught posting photos on facebook so ya huge piece of poo poo for it but man I'll never forget that lol