Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i realize this has been going on for years now, but i’ve seen another round of tweets from liberal white women about how a guy having Infinite Jest on his book shelf is a huge red flag. the discourse around IJ is so ridiculous it’s really just bewildering to me. i actually have read it and it’s a good book — though i understand why many would be put off not only by its size but also its style — and one that is actually quite prescient and still relevant given the overwhelming amount of Entertainment being produced today. i’m curious what these women think it’s about, though i suppose they just had bad experiences with guys who had it on their shelves in college and are just extrapolating from that or something.

anyway it is a good book, i will defend it (though not DFW apparently being an abuser), and people are really psychotic about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i realize this has been going on for years now, but i’ve seen another round of tweets from liberal white women about how a guy having Infinite Jest on his book shelf is a huge red flag. the discourse around IJ is so ridiculous it’s really just bewildering to me. i actually have read it and it’s a good book — though i understand why many would be put off not only by its size but also its style — and one that is actually quite prescient and still relevant given the overwhelming amount of Entertainment being produced today. i’m curious what these women think it’s about, though i suppose they just had bad experiences with guys who had it on their shelves in college and are just extrapolating from that or something.

anyway it is a good book, i will defend it (though not DFW apparently being an abuser), and people are really psychotic about it

there was a good tweet that I can’t find now that all these types of threads are all just people blatantly complaining about their exes and generalizing

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

like most things its a confluence. legitimate backlash over people using media consumption as a badge of status as well as a cudgel to wield their privilege against others, also legitimate grievance with what's sold as the literary canon almost entirely being written by privileged white dudes, that then merged with peoples insecurity about their own media consumption habits, longform intense literature being at complete odds with current trends in text media, a general popular insecurity with what a loving intellectual wasteland popular media has become, and the ease of using reductionist woke strawman as dummies to grind out social media clout

a lot of reactionary stuff distorts "accepted ideas have problems or lack certain context" into "i dont want to think about things, and thinking about things is bad, actually". tbf thats one of the few reactionary things that's not exclusive to one ideological community and is as much a problem with the left as it is with libs

but yeah a lot of the twitter discourse on it is the same genre as "bernie is like all the loser shitheads i chose to date for some reason"

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
What was DFW guilty of, besides occasionally dressing like a roadie? I’ve never heard of any abuse allegations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Your summary pretty much nails it. It reeks of literary "mad cuz bad". They bounced off the book (not hard to do) at all and assume anyone who didn't is either lying or some flavor of Bad Person. Most of the time they say the person who owns it didn't actually read it and they're a poser.

I did it on audiobook because there was no way I could do it on my own power, it had to be drip fed into the spaces of time where my attention span could focus.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

What was DFW guilty of, besides occasionally dressing like a roadie? I’ve never heard of any abuse allegations.

a bit of a summary here, or google david foster wallace mary karr for more

https://www.bustle.com/p/mary-karr-speaks-out-about-david-foster-wallace-amid-literatures-metoo-movement-9003387

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

there are so many “red flag” type tweets for guys who apparently like certain books (IJ, hemingway, bukowski) and movies (scorcese) but not enough for music, it’s very disappointing

i want some wild music tweets with the same premise, like “ladies..... if the guy you’re seeing says his favorite black metal album is filosofem — run!!”

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
infinite jest is good. i'll grant that dfw was about as straight and white as they come and so his poc and trans characters in IJ are... not great. but it's still good

i strongly suspect that the anti-dfw folks should really be directing their hate towards dave eggers instead, but i've never read a dave eggers book

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dave Eggers sucks so loving bad

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dave Eggers sucks so loving bad

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

So long as Joyce and Pynchon, my adolescent smarty pants obsessions, are still ok.

To the best of my understanding Joyce was just a sex weirdo & Nora was like, “lol, yeah, I’ll fart all over your stuff, w/e”

And then it’s kinda hard to terrorize people when you do everything in your power to avoid them, so I think Pynchon is still fine.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there are so many “red flag” type tweets for guys who apparently like certain books (IJ, hemingway, bukowski) and movies (scorcese) but not enough for music, it’s very disappointing

i want some wild music tweets with the same premise, like “ladies..... if the guy you’re seeing says his favorite black metal album is filosofem — run!!”

"i listen to everything except country and rap"

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
eddie pepitone's new special is c-spam as gently caress.

Eddie Pepitone: For the Masses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGZqSMbO2-Q

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8tWKJwyG6Y

what if you had an edgy superhero movie with twenty characters except half of their powers are gun

also

my superpower is having crohn's a dad who died in nine eleven too much money to bother treating my mental health

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Peanut President posted:

"i listen to everything except country and rap"

boring!!! needs more specificity

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
poptimism and the general takeover of hip-hop in pop music in the mid-2010s has made the mainstream music scene a lot less balkanized. in the early 2000s you had your blog music, remnants of scenesters, club rap, country, etc., and the various fans mostly stayed away from each other. nowadays everybody everywhere is giving their hot take on the new taylor album and every rap song has a dababy feature with the same exact flow

i actually like rap these days (and most new music) but it's pretty same-y and therefore it's hard to make stereotypes about people via music preferences

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the common thread is most likely guys who buy certain books and movies as signifiers and only incidentally tried to read or watch them

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Finally a decent looking show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnwttF7uv1I

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Nice to see Ridley Scott continue his old age existential crisis being explored via ancient aliens themed poo poo.

Looks just about as subtle as Prometheus too. Robogirlboss vs Le evil religious space marines. Should be fun schlock.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Is anyone watching Lovecraft Country? A guy I know is streaming it on Mondays

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

StashAugustine posted:

Ep1 was good, hopefully it can keep this energy up.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

you mean streaming it on a stream and watching along with viewers? i guess thats a whole genre now huh. entertainment is weird these days

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

thatfatkid posted:

Nice to see Ridley Scott continue his old age existential crisis being explored via ancient aliens themed poo poo.

Looks just about as subtle as Prometheus too. Robogirlboss vs Le evil religious space marines. Should be fun schlock.

my favourite part of prometheus is when the bridge crew acts pumped to ram the juggernaut as sarcastically as possible because the studio leaned hard on scott for there to be a big heroic sacrifice

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Ive been waiting until there was a bingable chunk available. I read one review that kinda bagged on it, mainly imo as a way to complain about Monkeypaw/Peele. Have you seen any of it? If so, opinion?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!
actually that's a lie, my favourite part of prometheus is every moment fassbender in on screen

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Prometheus is Final Destination in space and it rules.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Hodgepodge posted:

actually that's a lie, my favourite part of prometheus is every moment fassbender in on screen

That’s a true statement anytime a Fassbender has been recorded acting.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i didn't like prometheus when i first saw it, but on a rewatch i found that i actually liked it. covenant was also good just for how weird it is. and the double fassbender fight is rad because of just how creepy and eerie it is to watch

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

So long as Joyce and Pynchon, my adolescent smarty pants obsessions, are still ok.

To the best of my understanding Joyce was just a sex weirdo & Nora was like, “lol, yeah, I’ll fart all over your stuff, w/e”

And then it’s kinda hard to terrorize people when you do everything in your power to avoid them, so I think Pynchon is still fine.

pynchon is good as hell, also i found both the book and movie versions of inherent vice very entertaining

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

babypolis posted:

you mean streaming it on a stream and watching along with viewers? i guess thats a whole genre now huh. entertainment is weird these days

Eh it started as a quarantine movie night for some people in a sci-fi books discord, its not like hes got a Twitch account or something :v: First so tonight, will report back

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Complaints about Prometheus lacking realism show an unearned faith in the infallible logic that capitalist royalty must posses, because otherwise how’d they get all that money?

Like, based on what we know now about our current billionaires, why wouldn’t you think one would waste a ridiculous amount of money sending scientists out to space in order to discover alien life, mainly so he can live longer, and all the scientists he picks for his dipshit plan are going to 2089’s version of Joe Rogan regulars.

Scott adjusted his pessimism accordingly to fit the era his newest alien movie is filmed in. The first Alien was depressing because the faceless corporations send people out like drones in ugly, dripping industrial hell boxes in order to make number get bigger; Prometheus is depressing because the corporation has a face and he’s a scared moron that will destroy humanity if necessary to get a few more guaranteed years.

E: like, if someone could convince Peter Thiel he could live forever if he just sent a bunch of scientists weird enough to get his attention out into space to discover aliens, there would dead canisters of disgraced doctorate holders who thought weird poo poo like cryotherapy cures rickets orbiting most planets in our solar system.

mysterious frankie has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Aug 24, 2020

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

double negative posted:

pynchon is good as hell, also i found both the book and movie versions of inherent vice very entertaining

Pynchon is great and I am only slightly embarrassed I got into him because of a Yo La Tengo song.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Complaints about Prometheus lacking realism show an unearned faith in the infallible logic that capitalist royalty must posses, because otherwise how’d they get all that money?

Like, based on what we know now about our current billionaires, why wouldn’t you think one would waste a ridiculous amount of money sending scientists out to space in order to discover alien life, mainly so he can live longer, and all the scientists he picks for his dipshit plan are going to 2089’s version of Joe Rogan regulars.

Scott adjusted his pessimism accordingly to fit the era his newest alien movie takes place in. The first Alien was depressing because the faceless corporations send people out like drones in ugly, dripping industrial hell boxes in order to make number get bigger; Prometheus is depressing because the corporation has a face and he’s a scared moron that will destroy humanity if necessary to get a few more guaranteed years.

Hey to be fair, some of those picks were made by his fail-children wanting a big inheritance trying to save money by hiring cheap.

Also Prometheus is amazing, but then again I went in to the movie with unreasonably high expectations and I was still blown away so maybe don’t listen to me.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Mameluke posted:

my superpower is having crohn's a dad who died in nine eleven too much money to bother treating my mental health

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Aglet56 posted:

One time I was drinking with my coworkers after a work event and one of them got some edibles (prior to legalization) so I ate one and we made our way over to the metreon in SF, hoping to see a movie. Our choice? Prometheus

We had taken just long enough to get to the theatre that I was high as balls by the time we were buying our tickets, so I got in line at chipotle and told them I'd meet them in the theatre. By the time I got up to the movie I was way too high to find my coworkers in a dark theatre so I grabbed a seat at the end of an aisle and happily ate my burrito. I don't have a clear memory of the first half of the movie but I got to the squid c-section part and said "well I'm going home" and bailed. My coworkers had no idea where I was until I came into the office the next day

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/saywhatagain/status/1298007474017054731

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Aglet56 posted:

poptimism and the general takeover of hip-hop in pop music in the mid-2010s has made the mainstream music scene a lot less balkanized. in the early 2000s you had your blog music, remnants of scenesters, club rap, country, etc., and the various fans mostly stayed away from each other. nowadays everybody everywhere is giving their hot take on the new taylor album and every rap song has a dababy feature with the same exact flow

i actually like rap these days (and most new music) but it's pretty same-y and therefore it's hard to make stereotypes about people via music preferences

now and forever, Poptimism Was A Mistake

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

it has some cool ideas and i really wanted to like it but it just feels really cheap and hokey to me idk. probably not going to watch the rest after the loving gil-scott heron montage in the second episode lol

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Prometheus has amazing production values contrasted with a dumb as gently caress concept/story and characters that actively go out of their way to die in hilariously stupid ways. It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Prometheus is alien as a golden age sci-fi throwback and does awe of the unknown incredibly well. characters are secondary to the concepts and I’d reckon if there were more complete characterization (other than Fassbdnder’s robot) the movie wouldn’t work as well