Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Everyone should own a Chromecast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I use a harmony companion - that's the one with the hub and very simple paired remote - for my remoting needs. My dog ate my remote, and its only a matter of time until it fails outright. Logitech doesn't sell the remote by itself, which is insane (they recommended I buy their $200 alternative instead). It looks like I can replace the remote with a used one from eBay for a reasonable amount, but honestly, gently caress you Logitech.

Are there any other reasonable alternatives to their stuff? I have a simple set up, all things considered. TV, soundbar, apple TV, blu-ray player. But some of it is in closed door cabinets, so I like the hub/IR blaster model.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Huh, they used to sell one. I bought one like a year ago to add to my Harmony Elite setup so I would have two remotes on the hub.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Boxman posted:

I use a harmony companion - that's the one with the hub and very simple paired remote - for my remoting needs. My dog ate my remote, and its only a matter of time until it fails outright. Logitech doesn't sell the remote by itself, which is insane (they recommended I buy their $200 alternative instead). It looks like I can replace the remote with a used one from eBay for a reasonable amount, but honestly, gently caress you Logitech.

Are there any other reasonable alternatives to their stuff? I have a simple set up, all things considered. TV, soundbar, apple TV, blu-ray player. But some of it is in closed door cabinets, so I like the hub/IR blaster model.

If you find it please let me know. I used to have the Harmony One, and it was great but didn't work with Bluetooth and eventually the buttons stopped working well. Now we use the Harmony Elite and it's so much less responsive. I'd gladly swap it out for something else if there was something that worked with 10+ devices, had Bluetooth, and was fairly simple to use but I've never found anything that compares. One-4-All had some remotes, but nothing that makes it obvious how to change from one function to another (a must when my mom comes over to watch the kids, babysitters come over, etc.).

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

To be clear, they recommended the Harmony 950, the Ultimate One, or the Touch. MSRP of the 950 is $250, and they don't market the other two anymore, so supply is spotty as all get out.

It's sort of nutty how insanely lovely remotes are. Roku and Apple remotes take minimalism way too far (although Apple's is worse. I'd be happy ditching the universal if only I could keep actual buttons to scroll around with). Like, it's the primary way you interface with your device, how are manufacturers not spending time on this?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Insert that joke about too many standards so somebody makes another standard.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Insert that joke about too many standards so somebody makes another standard.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have an older version of that remote and it's been amazing for like, man, 6 years or more? We use our phones a lot, but as long as we keep it away from our toddler it might survive another 6.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

Nocheez posted:

I have an older version of that remote and it's been amazing for like, man, 6 years or more? We use our phones a lot, but as long as we keep it away from our toddler it might survive another 6.

Same boat, minus the toddler. I don't know what I'm doing to do if/when my harmony hub kicks the bucket, because I think it would also disable what limited Alexa voice control I have in my setup.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

ARC still not working. Getting a different HDMI cable that's more highly recommended. Firestick went from $35 to $50 in one day, so hopefully this new one does the trick. Settings all correct, supposedly. Great times.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Everyone should own a Chromecast

The H9G has one built in, but the resolution is worse than the included apps which makes me wonder if they cheaped out and it isn't an Ultra.
It might just be an iOS app only problem though.
Chromecasted iOS apps are also unstable and buggy as gently caress (YouTube being the sole exception), and that hasn't really changed.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 25, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Anyone looking for an ~11% discount on a 77" Sony A9G?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/08/24/sonys-massive-77-4k-oled-android-tv-could-be-yours-for-only-4000-500-off/

quote:

Amazon, Best Buy, and Rakuten are all offering this same deal.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
But isn't the LG OLED even less than that and a better product?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What makes it better? Pretty sure the Sony is using LG's panels.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sony has great processors, specifically with regards to motion handling. Not sure if any of that actually comes into play with this particular TV, but that's a scenario where two TVs using the exact same panel could be differentiated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, it basically depends on who's UI and processing you prefer.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Anyone know what could be causing this? It's supposed to be a solid color, but has all these artifacts on it. This was happening during Infinity Train, but I've also seen something similar on very white people's skin while streaming movies. Trying to figure out if it's some weird setting on the TV (LG CX) or part of the stream, or some mystery third option

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Looks like bad MPEG compression artifacts meaning it's an issue with the stream and not your TV but I'm not super versed on this stuff so it could be a hosed up setting somewhere I guess.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
The A9G doesn't support VRR so it's strictly worse for gaming uses.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, it basically depends on who's UI and processing you prefer.

How could someone develop a preference for processing? Not trying to be snarky, I honestly don't know how someone would have an opinion in that particular area without buying two TVs and comparing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

"Raises hand"

My 2016 LG C6 has horrendous processing compared to my 2014 Sony. Lack of 3:2 detection on progressive sources. Horrible artifacting on anything with solid colors (like animation) if you turn on Truemotion to even its lowest setting to get around the whole lack of 3:2 detection on progressive sources.

I know LG has made a lot of strides there so it likely isn't as bad anymore, but I certainly have a preference for Sony based on my experiences. My X900Es are champs. I think they can find proper 24fps cadence in smoke signals. Set it and forget it.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

bull3964 posted:

"Raises hand"

My 2016 LG C6 has horrendous processing compared to my 2014 Sony. Lack of 3:2 detection on progressive sources. Horrible artifacting on anything with solid colors (like animation) if you turn on Truemotion to even its lowest setting to get around the whole lack of 3:2 detection on progressive sources.

I know LG has made a lot of strides there so it likely isn't as bad anymore, but I certainly have a preference for Sony based on my experiences. My X900Es are champs. I think they can find proper 24fps cadence in smoke signals. Set it and forget it.

hmmm does this horrible artifacting look like the picture I just took? (posted a couple above this)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, it would be more along the lines of things not appearing as they should (like when an animated character speaks and the mouth animation is half missing due to the interpolation algorithms guessing wrong.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Listerine posted:

How could someone develop a preference for processing? Not trying to be snarky, I honestly don't know how someone would have an opinion in that particular area without buying two TVs and comparing.

Some companies handle various features better than others; local dimming algorithms, motion interpolation smoothness, handling 24p content or 24p content on 60p sources, HDMI-CEC support, intrusiveness of advertising, etc. Sony units typically have a processing feature specifically to smooth out color banding, as an example. Hell, even the choice of anti-glare coating.

Processor choice might make an impact on input lag too, if one manufacturer goes cheap to save a few bucks.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 26, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Finally got my C6 fixed! Main board was the issue in the end. Hooked it up to my xbone to show my kids 3d and they loved it.

Next question, would you guys bother fixing a Panasonic 65" GT50? Replacement board is $200. Probably would just sell it but I doubt someone would pay much more than that for an 8 year old tv.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I guess it depends if you have a use for it. $200 isn’t bad for a 65” screen still even if it’s restricted to 1080p and being a plasma it’ll still look better than regular LCDs to me. I can’t remember if the GT series had the Pioneer tech, but I remember them being liked screens.

I used to have an S20 and I swear the reason my 66 OLED doesn’t feel way bigger than the 50 I had is the size of the bezel of that thing. If only I’d waited a year...

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm sure there's a hardcore plasma holdout that would jump on that.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm looking for a capture solution that will strip HDCP off my Chromecast. Is this the right thread?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm looking for a capture solution that will strip HDCP off my Chromecast. Is this the right thread?

No but run it through a 1x2 Chinese splitter off amazon.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

New update for the NVIDIA Shield adds remapping of the Menu key to change your TV’s input over IR. So now I don’t ever need to use my LG’s lovely remote at all. The update also adds AI upscaling to 60fps videos and looks fantastic.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
77" LG OLEDS dropped in price another $200, 3749.99 at Costco and 3,799.99 at Best Buy and Amazon.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Would be nice if it dropped to $3k.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last years models are.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

What's the easiest streaming TV for a 60 year old technologically illiterate woman to use? My mom loves watching Asian shows on YouTube and she wants to be able to do that on her living room TV.

She barely knows how to use her iPad so the process needs to be as simple as possible. Ideally it would be controlled from her iPad or iPhone or have a really easy to use way to navigate YouTube with things like favorites and recommendations.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 30, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You could get an apple tv and show her how to airplay to it. Alternatively the Apple TV’s YouTube app, like every ATV app, is simple to use.

The only problem is that she might gently caress up the airplay somehow and be so confused she never tries again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gamesguy posted:

What's the easiest streaming TV for a 60 year old technologically illiterate woman to use? My mom loves watching Asian shows on YouTube and she wants to be able to do that on her living room TV.

She barely knows how to use her iPad so the process needs to be as simple as possible. Ideally it would be controlled from her iPad or iPhone or have a really easy to use way to navigate YouTube with things like favorites and recommendations.

Most smart TV’s let you stream stuff from YouTube when you hit the cast button on the app. Wouldn’t that work?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, Chromecast or one built into the TV is definitely the easiest way to use a mobile device to put youtube on a television and control playback.

You can also queue up more than one video, which is something even the Android TV app doesn't appear able to do.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion but I don’t think chrome cast is a good suggestion for an aged user who struggles with technology. They are great but can be unreliable and become unsynced with the phone controlling it. It would be very frustrating for someone who can’t easily fix their own tech issues.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Would she be comfortable with a voice remote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The Apple TV remote sucks for the tech illiterate but if she uses the phone or iPad with the remote app or just casts to it, probably a good bet.