Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
This is a great thread. I borrowed a Hennesy hammock from a friend a few years back and have been thinking about it since. After a random YouTube recommendation last week I've been watching Steve Wallis's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?thestevewallis?videos) recently and have had that hammock once again on my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love Steve Wallis. He seems like such a chill guy.

I went camping last weekend, and managed to find a single pair of trees to sling my ENO hammock (with some random aftermarket bug bag). Problem was, it was heat advisory warm - about 85-90F at bedtime. First night was ok, but second night we were expecting thunderstorms, so I set up this random black cheap rain fly I had bought. It cancelled 100% of any breeze, and after about 10 minutes I decided I would rather be soaked than role-play a piece of meat sous vide in sweat. Rain held off, so was a win.

Are there any good 'two tree' rain fly kits that would allow a breeze or ability to see out? ? I wanted to look at the water, but what I got was a black plastic ceiling. I was pondering trying to make a spare tent pole X triangle roof that could hang from a Ridgeline. Rather not reinvent the wheel though.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

Are there any good 'two tree' rain fly kits that would allow a breeze or ability to see out? ? I wanted to look at the water, but what I got was a black plastic ceiling. I was pondering trying to make a spare tent pole X triangle roof that could hang from a Ridgeline. Rather not reinvent the wheel though.
Are you imagining a lean-to type set up that cantilevers beyond your ridgeline? I can't think of anything like that. If I actually need rain protection and want a view and ventilation, I look a couple long sticks to prop up one end. Other times I set up the tarp and and stakes, but leave it in a snake skin or have it folded over one side for quick deployment.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

I just use my hiking poles and some guyline and stake those out one end. Raises the end up a bit and then you can get a good view while laying in your hammock.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Also, now that I'm looking at your big net setup: Have you thought to try incorporating that ridge line with the hammock itself and then sliding the bugnet as a sock over the entire thing? I think it might give you a much faster set-up.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Not a bad idea! They have separate little stuff sacks, which I just clip together, but overall it's really fast to set up. I spent far more time trying to set the stupid black rain fly - no instructions, the stakes were nice, but the ridge line was too short, so I tied two (guy ropes? Not sure the term) together, which left me short one, so I used some other rope... Only to find I had built a hammock-oven. I don't have those hiking poles, but I did once buy replacement tent poles (only to find they didn't fit) so I can try that.

I go camping again in 3 weeks!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone ever winter camp with their hammock? Im talking proper winters, IE -20F to 20F or so.

I'd need to invest in new underquilts before I could go that late in the season, I've already made big investments in sleeping bags and tents for winter so I'm not sure its something I want to jump into right away. I love winter hiking and camping but wonder if fiddiling with hammocks in the winter would get old.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know the real meaning of cold, but Shug, the crazy uncle of hammocks, has a lot of winter camping videos.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Had a lovely weekend camping with friends on a mountain biking trip. I spent three nights in my new Eno Skylite and loved it. The spreader bars completely eliminate “shoulder squeeze” if you have broad shoulders and have run into that problem before. The integrated bug net was lovely as well and provided great ventilation. Tarp handled very well, we got nightly rainstorms and I stayed dry and comfy.

We had a bit of a hammock hoedown going on for post-ride hangouts. Not pictured is my friend’s Hennessy, which was to my rear, so for four guys staying at this site we had six hammocks strung up.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

CopperHound posted:

I don't know the real meaning of cold, but Shug, the crazy uncle of hammocks, has a lot of winter camping videos.

Yeah his videos are fantastic! Thats how I learned how to setup my hammock in the first place, love watching his winter videos.

I think the way to do it, unfortunately as is the case often with winter camping, is to just throw a lot of money at your insulation.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I think the way to do it, unfortunately as is the case often with winter camping, is to just throw a lot of money at your insulation.
Eh, closed cell foam goes a long way for cheap if not the most packable of comfortable solution.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just did my third or fourth weekend trip in a hammock, and will continue espousing how great it is to all of my friends until one of them finally makes the switch. I've always had a hard time sleeping in a tent (at least in my adult years) and would wake up every half hour to shift around, move my pillow, re-orient my sleeping pad, and so on, versus now I wake up once to take a quick 3am piss and I'm back to sleeping the night away

I've found it particularly invaluable for canoe trips, where any useable campsite is typically not large enough to host the 5 or 6 tents in my group, but I can pitch up just about anywhere.

However, that said, I've gotten really tired of having to set up my bug net-- running a separate ridgeline for it, since my rainfly doesn't need one, just really slows down the whole operation

Looking for a rec on a hammock with a built-in bugnet that I could switch to

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Warbonnets have integral bugnets. I use a Blackbird.

Although I am confused how much it slows down the whole operation - could you not do the following for an incremental time cost of like 2 minutes?

Prewrap your bugnet around a 20 foot cord with dutchware hooks. Anchor one end and bunch the bugnet up at that side. Then anchor one end of your hammock through the bugnet, then anchor the other ends of your ridgeline and hammock. Tarp goes up same as before wherever you place it in your workflow

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 4, 2020

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sockser posted:

However, that said, I've gotten really tired of having to set up my bug net-- running a separate ridgeline for it, since my rainfly doesn't need one, just really slows down the whole operation
I'm a fukin' broken record here. Integrate the ridge line with your hammock. Pack the hammock with the bug net on it.

e: can we put this image in OP please?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 4, 2020

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That Eno Skylite that I mentioned in my last post has an integrated bug net, is pretty easy to set up and very comfy to sleep in. I think Hennessy or Warbonnet make more lightweight or packable options if space is at a premium, which I suspect it would be for canoe camping.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Both of my Clark hammocks have integrated bug netting too. The TX-250 (or whatever, the big one) has bug netting and & nylon so you can have some wet protection without a fly.

Not sure if this is the proper thread for it, but I found a Tentstile Connect Tree Tent (https://www.treestuff.com/tentsile-connect-tree-tent/) on craigslist in Seattle for $100. I emailed him a PDF of a shipping label and had the tent in 2 days. Gonna try it out this weekend in the Tillamook State Forest somewhere on the Nehalem River.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh, that's neat looking. No lumpy rocks under your bag!

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wish that were the case this weekend. Although I found an amazing camp site (perfect for hammocks tbh) it was too steep for me to be able to find 3 trees that would work so I had to pitch it on the ground.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If people were looking for a cheap good entry to Hammocking this guy is selling a nice Warbonnet setup for a good price:
https://old.reddit.com/r/GearTrade/comments/ifbsiv/wts_warbonnet_blackbird_xlc_winter_cover_wookie/

edit: What is it with all tarps everywhere being sold out? Supply issues? Right now I only have a Winter tarp for my hammock and a re-purposed square tarp. I wanted to go all in and get a new hammock specific tarp but pickings are slim.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If people were looking for a cheap good entry to Hammocking this guy is selling a nice Warbonnet setup for a good price:
https://old.reddit.com/r/GearTrade/comments/ifbsiv/wts_warbonnet_blackbird_xlc_winter_cover_wookie/

edit: What is it with all tarps everywhere being sold out? Supply issues? Right now I only have a Winter tarp for my hammock and a re-purposed square tarp. I wanted to go all in and get a new hammock specific tarp but pickings are slim.

On Thursday this will become my hammock

Thanks for posting it

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sockser posted:

On Thursday this will become my hammock

Thanks for posting it

Good to hear! I'll keep posting deals in this thread as I find them.

I have a Blackbird XLC with his webbing strap suspension and love it. I seriously dream about getting off into the woods to sleep in that thing. That hammock plus my cheap Apex underquilt and Nemo Fillio pillow and I sleep like a baby.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Finally got out camping with my new Blackbird!

I've been super busy with work and other poo poo and waited until the last minute to rope up my new tarp (Superfly, obv), so I just strung together a shitload of 550 paracord and it was, yknow, fine

What sort of cord should I be using for my ridgeline and guylines on my tarp, though?

I'm thinking m90 isn't going to be heavy enough, and I know there's a couple of high-strength/low-weight lines that are great but I've heard they just kind of destroy themselves if you use prussik knots to attach the tarp

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I like using arborist throw line for most stuff. It is super strong and abrasion resistant and the weight is pretty much negligible. There is some learning curve though. It doesn't have a core, so I don't think it holds a prussik, but It can be the prussik. I would use a figure 9 or one of the silly dutchware things on one side of your tarp like this:

Also, because the string has no core it can be hard to untie any non-slippery knots that have been loaded.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive always just used a continuous ridgeline from Dutchware:
https://dutchwaregear.com/product/continuous-ridgeline

I use mine with soft shackles to attach the tarp for the most part. After trying just a caribiner and prussik combo with some Brite-Ize cordage I had laying around a few times I prefer the ridgleine from Dutch. It's worked well for me many times now.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I don't really see the point to adding hardware to the setup-- it takes me less than a minute to throw a bowline around tree one and tie a trucker's hitch on tree two, and then my ridgeline is taut and my tarp is ready to go inside my snakeskins and all I need to do is get it centered over my hammock, tighen up the prusiks, and stake it out.

My issue is just in trying to cut some weight and get some cord that won't stretch out on me.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's been a while since I bought it, but I'm pretty certain I use Samson Lash It https://amzn.to/2xiYjFd

I also use Dutch hooks - I know you said you don't see the need for hardware, but they make me so happy with how well they work and are designed so I'm just sharing anyway

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 23, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

How are you attaching your tarp to your ridgeline Sockser?

If you're trying to save weight look into soft shackles. Weigh almost nothing and have worked really well for me.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

How are you attaching your tarp to your ridgeline Sockser?

If you're trying to save weight look into soft shackles. Weigh almost nothing and have worked really well for me.

prusiks with mini s-biners on them. Since the superfly has split rings on the tie outs, I could just thread the prusik directly through the ring and call it good, and I may do that when my zing-it arrives and I restring my ridgeline

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Not sure what kind of tarp you have, but if it's silnylon and gets a little slack when wet you can tie in some shock cord into the guy lines and have it self tension a bit.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Anyone have a Warbonnet Diamondback TQ? I think if they run a Black Friday sale I am going to finally buy one.

It'll be expensive but all of the stuff I have from them has been great. I'm also realizing as I get older that I am usually better off going with the buy once cry once strategy for gear. I'm about 15 years into my camping hobby now and I still have a lot of my first purchases that I use like my original JetBoil, Zlite pad, REI quarterdome, etc.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Anyone have a Warbonnet Diamondback TQ? I think if they run a Black Friday sale I am going to finally buy one.

It'll be expensive but all of the stuff I have from them has been great. I'm also realizing as I get older that I am usually better off going with the buy once cry once strategy for gear. I'm about 15 years into my camping hobby now and I still have a lot of my first purchases that I use like my original JetBoil, Zlite pad, REI quarterdome, etc.

Haven't tried one but the specs look nice and Warbonnet makes great poo poo so I doubt you can go wrong with one.

Definitely agree with the "buy once cry once" thinking. Looking to buy my last hammock (haha) right now, been speccing out a DreamHammock Sparrow that I think will tick all the right boxes. Still pondering quilts (the underquilt I use is a Snugpak which is warm but heavy++) but since I am in Europe I think I'll go for the Cumulus stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I regret not switching to a hammock ages ago

I'm enjoying camping and backpacking more than I ever have, comfy cozy in my big warm cocoon, swaying in the cool fall breeze

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sockser posted:

Me too! Whenever I take a trip with my wife I'm stuck in a tent, but whenever I go out solo or with a group of friends I'm bringing my hammock!

I'm hoping I can get some later fall trips in with my hammock soon.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

From a bikepacking trip a few weeks ago. First night required a bug net and also a rain tarp due to some overnight showers; second and third nights could have dispensed with the tarp and bug net but I sure would have loved an under quilt. Pro-tip: wearing all of your layers is not a substitute when it hits the mid-30s.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have a wool army blanket that kept me warm when it was about freezing, with a summer weight sleeping bag. Not precisely ultralight, but dual purpose as it is good for wrapping around you on cold mornings.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well I gave myself an early christmas present and bought a Warbonnet Diamondback top quilt with all the bells and whistles. 20F with a draft collar, 3oz of overstuff, and the elastic drawstring. Came in at $410 with shipping and tax....

But the Cats Meow sleeping bag its replacing is 13 years old. So if I get 15 or so out of this new bag it'll be money well spent.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got my Warbonnet Diamondback topquilt. Super nice, really pleased with it. Finally going to get a chance to test it out this weekend on a quick overnight trip.

Also picked up a 20F Warbonnet Yeti underquilt on reddit GearTrade for $200. 950 fill power and somehow weighs under 10 oz!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Sockser posted:

I'm enjoying camping and backpacking more than I ever have, comfy cozy in my big warm cocoon, swaying in the cool fall breeze

PA Grand Canyon?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Also picked up a 20F Warbonnet Yeti underquilt on reddit GearTrade for $200. 950 fill power and somehow weighs under 10 oz!

The 20F Yeti UQ is nice, but I want it to be even warmer. I've been thinking about a sock thing to act as a windbreaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

God Hole posted:

PA Grand Canyon?

Got it in 1!

My right knee hurt for like a full week after that trip