Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Invictus posted:

these two are the exact same product contentwise, just one's got a fancy jacket on for individual booster sale at walmart and such, right? there's functionally no difference in terms of cards/frequency of what's in them?

up until recently, ikoria and throne of eldraine collector booster singles(the jacketed ones) kept showing up as overgoods(shipping box contents that escaped their package) all over the shipping hub I work in and inevitably make their way either to the tapeups area, where they probably get thrown away, or just scattered around on the floor and stuck under stuff for an indeterminate amount of time

I’m not advocating for you to get in trouble, but if they are just throwing them away try to double back and scoop them up. They may have completely nuked companions, but the Godzilla art and foil showcase Mutants actually command a pretty respectable price, especially Brokkos//Biolante, and the Triomes are just good magic cards that everyone should get playsets of now while they are cheaper than dirt.

“One man’s trash” is a powerful axiom, I made enough money to buy a car and a pretty awesome vacation by roughly pulling the same stunt in college (not magic cards, just extremely valuable stuff the school I worked for was just throwing away, I’d tie those trash bags differently, then I would dumpster dive for them to sell the contents)

Yeah also I have to imagine they took a huge bath on Collector Boosters in Big Box retailers, but there was also that time Brian Gottlieb tweeted from his local Target that every single Ikoria collector booster in the store had been repacked with a regular booster pack. He looked at all 20 of them, which means someone literally working for either Target or the distributor itself was scamming them.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What time do B&R updates typically show up?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

What time do B&R updates typically show up?

10-11 am EST

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Field of the Dead is dead

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/august-24-2020-banned-and-restricted-announcement?qr=4

Paging 80's James Hetfield

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
WhO cOuLd HaVe PrEdIcTeD tHiS?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Now it’s finally midrange’s time to shine :carol:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Field decks were fine until they printed Hour of Promise.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mcmagic posted:

The Field decks were fine until they printed Hour of Promise.
:wrong:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m not advocating for you to get in trouble, but if they are just throwing them away try to double back and scoop them up.
UPS is generally not known for taking kindly to people stealing stuff, even if they're throwing it away.

poo poo, I tried asking if I could take the piles of bubblewrap that sits in a bin leftover from torn open boxes and eventually thrown away, and they won't even let me take that. they'd crucify me if I tried to pocket items that actually came out of a package, regardless of whether they were going to dispose of it or not, and regardless of whether that actually makes sense

reminder that places like dunkin donuts actively punish people who, say, give leftover donuts/bagels/etc that are literally about to be thrown away to the needy rather than the garbage bin, "it's going to be trashed anyways" doesn't work in megacorp america.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

if i were to live in america, i would probably be a trash can

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Mox Hombre posted:

if i were to live in america, i would probably be a trash can

Better be ready to be a recycling bin as an unpaid intern for a couple years first...

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Captain Invictus posted:

"it's going to be trashed anyways" doesn't work in megacorp america.

your timing is wrong. it's not available before it's trashed, only after. Trash is the public's only true possession.
them's the dumpster diving rules.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thems dumpsters private property.

You could just keep an eye on them and text a buddy though. Use a burner or just tell them irl to stop it from getting back to you if'n your afraid of that.

Or don't, cardboard isn't worth losing your job over.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

lol americans absolutely terrified of stealing trash

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I guess previews start next week

https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1297941331675951104?s=21

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mox Hombre posted:

lol americans absolutely terrified of stealing trash

We hate homeless people so much we won't even let them have things we are actively disposing of.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The set comes out on Arena in 3 weeks so they better start soon

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I quite like the rapid fire eternal-relevant (Historic, at least) set releases, I'm hoping they announce Kaladesh Remastered for between Zendikar and the winter set. Maybe it's particular to arena but I think it's good the format keeps getting stirred a bit.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

I quite like the rapid fire eternal-relevant (Historic, at least) set releases, I'm hoping they announce Kaladesh Remastered for between Zendikar and the winter set. Maybe it's particular to arena but I think it's good the format keeps getting stirred a bit.

The Arena only Pioneer Masters scheduled for before the end of the year is definitely going to shake it up. I think Arena is targeting a monthly release just like WotC's paper division at this point.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

It is amusing that the same company that leaves Tron and Neoshoalbrand legal in Modern tried to tell us they care about decks in their formats having "polarizing match ups". When you are suffering against one for one do nothing control or losing to the 4x Ugin deck remember this is what people who wanted Field banned asked for.

Magic has too much garbage time and banning Field just created way more of it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I think this must be what hell is like:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

80s James Hetfield posted:

It is amusing that the same company that leaves Tron and Neoshoalbrand legal in Modern tried to tell us they care about decks in their formats having "polarizing match ups". When you are suffering against one for one do nothing control or losing to the 4x Ugin deck remember this is what people who wanted Field banned asked for.

Is this the consensus between all the people who share this account?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm glad we've settled the debate about whether hell is of our own making.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Did the game end?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Qwertycoatl posted:

Did the game end?

it looks like his opponent realized he values the fast-vanishing time he had left on this earth too much to endlessly recur cats at each other

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

80s James Hetfield posted:

Look dude just because your pet deck bad version of Field was beatable that doesn't mean that good builds of Field weren't problematic.

I'd have been fine if they waited to see if things shook up at all, but I also understand that this is now the 4th time Field has been too good and maybe they don't want to wait to see if it started to kill the format. Hour of Promise + Field was good enough to beat all the hate in Pioneer, and none of the solutions you've suggested are all that good. Wraths are medium at best against Field, since they are spells answering the bonus from lands and they merely delay things against a proactive ramp deck. Virulent Plague is similar but can slow things down for longer. Massacre Wurm is okay but it's a 6 mana sorcery that they'll often Tseize or counter, and the deck that can utilize it best is Sultai Field itself.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Who would have thought that letting mana ramp be its own repeatable recurring threat might be format warping

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yawgmoth posted:

You have two ovens, making you the victor

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Silhouette posted:

You have two ovens, making you the victor

You owned them online, making you the victor

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Look dude just because your pet deck bad version of Field was beatable that doesn't mean that good builds of Field weren't problematic.

I'd have been fine if they waited to see if things shook up at all, but I also understand that this is now the 4th time Field has been too good and maybe they don't want to wait to see if it started to kill the format. Hour of Promise + Field was good enough to beat all the hate in Pioneer, and none of the solutions you've suggested are all that good. Wraths are medium at best against Field, since they are spells answering the bonus from lands and they merely delay things against a proactive ramp deck. Virulent Plague is similar but can slow things down for longer. Massacre Wurm is okay but it's a 6 mana sorcery that they'll often Tseize or counter, and the deck that can utilize it best is Sultai Field itself.

Mostly just laughing at Hetfield's implication that the deck aggressively ramping out lands was not also playing Ugin.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Crackbone posted:

Who would have thought that letting mana ramp be its own repeatable recurring threat might be format warping
"What if Ramp decks had a win condition that could be tutored for without subbing out ramp for tutors and also was basically impossible to interact with"

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

fadam posted:

Is this the consensus between all the people who share this account?

i thought it was one guy with multiple accounts

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Qwertycoatl posted:

Did the game end?
Yes, because I imagine my opponent figured out that my two cats and two ovens would eventually whittle down his one cat and one oven.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think I would've hit hour of promise and uro rather than field of the dead tbqh. Make the control decks win the game at some point.

The turbo ramp decks have plenty of ways to win the game anyway, take out some of the best turbo ramp and i think we'll get somewhere.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Panzeh posted:

I think I would've hit hour of promise and uro rather than field of the dead tbqh. Make the control decks win the game at some point.

The turbo ramp decks have plenty of ways to win the game anyway, take out some of the best turbo ramp and i think we'll get somewhere.

i think the turbo ramp decks are going to be pretty medium now

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

yeah ramp decks need to do something while they’re ramping to not die. field just let that happen incidentally, now you have to put spells in your deck and cast them so you don’t just lose on turn 4 to muxus or burn

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Panzeh posted:

Field is restrictive design; it's a reason ramp can't get too efficient rather than being crazy efficient ramp like Uro. It's a Valakut that keeps generating value and is harder to disrupt. It 100% had to go.

Froghammer fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 25, 2020

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

eagerly awaiting someone to get owned by Mazes's End and get vietnam-style flashbacks of field of the dead and getting beat by a land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Counterpoint: Maze's End is cool and good, whereas Field is uncool and bad