Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

Youtube.

Yeah, I'm sure I could find a bunch there. The Twitch appeal to me is being able to just turn on a stream without searching for anything specific or really having to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah, I'm sure I could find a bunch there. The Twitch appeal to me is being able to just turn on a stream without searching for anything specific or really having to think about it.

I made some playlists on my youtube channel, that should keep you busy for a couple of days at least https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT205hrrP-OuPGHmIzOEYNA/playlists

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MrBling posted:

I made some playlists on my youtube channel, that should keep you busy for a couple of days at least https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT205hrrP-OuPGHmIzOEYNA/playlists

You're the best. Thanks!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then it led to that exchange between Rock and Jericho when the latter debuted.

"Is the Rock supposed to be impressed because you were down south beating some jabroni named Juventud?"

"I took his mask off!"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lord help me, I love Kronik.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Kronik or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Adam Bomb

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

And then it led to that exchange between Rock and Jericho when the latter debuted.

"Is the Rock supposed to be impressed because you were down south beating some jabroni named Juventud?"

"I took his mask off!"

I'm pretty sure this happened first.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Dan posted:

I'm pretty sure this happened first.
Correct. This was during Jericho's debut in WWE the fall of '99. Not sure if it was in the unedited version of his Millennium Countdown debut or shortly thereafter.

Juvi's short-lived The Juice gimmick happened later and may have been a response to that moment, but I've never heard either way.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 23, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Juvi was still doing The Juice gimmick in XPW in the early 2000s

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Alaois posted:

He did it in the WWA too

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Alaois posted:

Always a good time to put this promo:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fav5

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Correct. This was during Jericho's debut in WWE the fall of '99. Not sure if it was in the unedited version of his Millennium Countdown debut or shortly thereafter.

Juvi's short-lived The Juice gimmick happened later and may have been a response to that moment, but I've never heard either way.

Feb 2000: The Rock tells Kevin Kelly to go make himself a glass of Shut Up Juice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eeCr_MJVM

I remember reading that MIGHT have been a direct response to The Juice gimmick in WCW. IDK if I have the timeline right though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is this the best chokeslam of all time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Uzevs3Q9s

Bryan's talked about it a lot but Big Show was so much more over, intimidating and talented in WCW. I remember he also used to do this little jump for his chokeslams back then, too. Obviously the other guy assists going up but when Giant was holding them up there he himself would jump a little to I guess give the slam even more emphasis and it is just a crazy display of strength.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I remember there was something about The Giant's chokeslam that was awful to take. It was either because of the jump or because his knees hit the mat before his opponent's back did. Basically the impact would cause the mat to buckle, a quarter second later his opponent would hit the mat as the mat was 'coming back up' from buckling, removing all the give from the mat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Is this the best chokeslam of all time?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Uzevs3Q9s

Bryan's talked about it a lot but Big Show was so much more over, intimidating and talented in WCW. I remember he also used to do this little jump for his chokeslams back then, too. Obviously the other guy assists going up but when Giant was holding them up there he himself would jump a little to I guess give the slam even more emphasis and it is just a crazy display of strength.

My favorite finish in WCW is still Show suddenly waking up after getting knocked on his rear end by brass knuckles by Ric Flair, goozling him, and splattering him into the mat to win the title. Big time pop and a creative finish, and it simultaneously gets over Show as a monster while being extremely on brand for Flair's character because it wasn't enough to simply pin him, and his hubris costs him. Made even better by Woman screaming in horror when she realizes that Flair is screwed.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ChrisBTY posted:

I remember there was something about The Giant's chokeslam that was awful to take. It was either because of the jump or because his knees hit the mat before his opponent's back did. Basically the impact would cause the mat to buckle, a quarter second later his opponent would hit the mat as the mat was 'coming back up' from buckling, removing all the give from the mat.

Yeah, not hitting the mat the same time as your counterpart sucks. You get the whiplash of the mat hitting you on the way back up and depending on the ring you can get pinched by boards moving around. Timing is key!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Do you all agree with Bryan and friends that people like Malenko and Kidman, no matter how talented or over they were, just weren't cut out to be main eventers? That even great wrestlers can have a place that is lower on the card?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you all agree with Bryan and friends that people like Malenko and Kidman, no matter how talented or over they were, just weren't cut out to be main eventers? That even great wrestlers can have a place that is lower on the card?

There's absolutely a place for mid card guys. That's basically where people like DDP, Shelton Benjamin, Finlay, Regal, Malenko, and a whole ton of wrestlers thrived, and they could be trusted to work main events every once in a while.

There's something to be said for 'it factors' on your main event workers how they carry themselves, etc., and you can still love the midcard guys even if you recognize they'll never see much of the main event.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think having people moving up and down the card periodically is a really big factor in having a healthy company. If nobody's moving up, things get really boring, and if nobody's ever moving down, you can't hardly elevate anyone. So people who are in that midcard spot but occasionally work with people higher up on the card? Really key to keep things fresh.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Kidman probably wasn't because he just wasn't a high level enough wrestler to over come that he was kind of limited talking. But he had a good look so he could be a decent upper midcarder who might challenge for the top title once.

Malenko on the other hand managed to get over like a main eventer once. Watch Starrcade 96. While he couldn't win the match due to the fact he wasn't winning the J Crown he's so ungodly over in that match that if he won they may have had something with him. It's an era where everyone was over, but there's something special to the reactions he gets there.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Malenko could have been something in an alternate reality WCW where they pushed new stars.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

I think Kidman could've been great as the fourth guy in a main event four-way for the title with maybe a brief feel-good run or two if the fans got behind him as an underdog. He was a poo poo interview, but he never really had too much of a chance to grow in that arena.

At a certain point, though, it did get tiresome that people who never used powerbombs would try to powerbomb him. But he and Rey were my favorite wrestlers until Lance's run there.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kidman was incredibly sloppy in the ring. he wasn't a great talker either. him holding the belt probably would have been worse than ronnie garvin. the guys who were close to that level and never held it probably but could have should have been eddie guerrero, raven was definitely up there for popularity and could have worked, malenko maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe could have gotten there but his size would have made it a real tough sell for a lengthy reign. and then mongo would be the next logical contender/champion.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

curt hennig should have beaten the giant when he plexed his rear end and then he should have won the belt off sting later, instead of macho man doing it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, I just remember how crazy over Kidman's Cruiserweight title win was after leaving the Flock. Then they had him win the best match at StarrCade '98, looking incredibly strong against three great opponents. And wasn't it a month or two later he and Whipwreck had the best match of a PPV and got yelled at for it?

So he's a fine, even exceptional, Cruiserweight Champion. Maybe he even could have been US Champ.

Then they put him up against Hogan and he just couldn't cut it in terms of promo or charisma or the all important "it factor." He didn't come across as a badass or a star. Bryan concluded Awesome should have been the one going over Hogan in a month long feud culminating in a PPV match.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mrt, did mike awesome ever have another good match since leaving ecw besides his ONS match?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

mrt, did mike awesome ever have another good match since leaving ecw besides his ONS match?

Vs Scott Steiner in WCW, vs Kobashi was good in NOAH but not as good as most Kobashi matches from that era, I bet the Tanaka match from Zero One is good but I haven't seen that one, and I think he had one good match in MLW too.

I'm sure some of the tags he did in NOAH and probably All Japan were good but I haven't seen them. The All Japan matches may have been a struggle since he was teaming with The Wall alot but who knows how many are even circulating.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kidman always did a shooting start press where he jumped off center so it always looked weird

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Just found out that Elix Skipper is not only Not Canadian, but he never played in the CFL.

i've just casually believed that for...20 years..why would WCW even lie about that. like if you're going to say he's a fake football player, say he was a college one. it just sounded too specific to be made up to me. i cannot believe how badly i got worked.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wow. Skipper really looked great back then. He and Lance Storm are just specimens.

Edit: Haha poo poo I thought I had made up Hacksaw turning Canadian as a fever dream. This poo poo is real!

Extra edit: Makes me mad in this broadcast I can't hear Kronik's slappin' music and it's some royalty free bullshit.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 25, 2020

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Get it, because Duggan says USA and now he's Canadian! :russo:

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Get it, because Duggan says USA and now he's Canadian! :russo:

Right? And I know he gave Mike Awesome these total loser gimmicks but I'm still in complete shock of how you take someone that whips as much rear end as Mike Awesome and make him That 70s Guy or The Fat Chick Thriller. Guy that loving wrecks people with sick moves and an even more sick mullet is enough to get over.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TheKingslayer posted:

Right? And I know he gave Mike Awesome these total loser gimmicks but I'm still in complete shock of how you take someone that whips as much rear end as Mike Awesome and make him That 70s Guy or The Fat Chick Thriller. Guy that loving wrecks people with sick moves and an even more sick mullet is enough to get over.

The whole thing is really weird. They made a big deal about signing him, enough to the point where WWE felt like they had to do a powerplay of their own, gave him a major contract, then debuted him against Big Sexy, one of the few people in the company taller than him and whose style was utterly incompatible with his own. I guess the problem was that not everyone could be Kanyon and get splattered by him on a regular basis but surely they should have realised that before hyping him up?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

surely they should have realised that
This is WCW we're talking about here.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Doc M posted:

This is WCW we're talking about here.

Good point.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I think Vince Russo is about to win the world title

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mike Awesome was never going to get over in WCW because Goldberg and Scott Steiner were both much, much better at doing the thing that got Mike Awesome over.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I would have paid Mike Awesome to come out and hit disgusting moves on Disco every night until the company went under.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Mike Awesome was never going to get over in WCW because Goldberg and Scott Steiner were both much, much better at doing the thing that got Mike Awesome over.

Mike Awesome was pretty different from both of those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
What is the general consensus regarding Larry Zbyszko? I think he's boring. Wow he wears wacky zany shirts, so what. Larry + Tony are not a good commentary team.