Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
In 8th grade I carried around a GoldenEye and a Mortal Kombat Trilogy strategy guide to every single class in school. I would read the GoldenEye one and I would use the MK one to sketch drawings of MK characters. I was also the first person in my school to unlock 007 mode, although to this day I've never been able to unlock most of the 00 Agent speedrun cheats, specifically the Facility Invincibility one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i accidentally voted this thread a 1 sorry. i revoted 5 but i dont know if that works. thats my gamer confession.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I paid full price for Master of Orion 3.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

American McGay posted:

In 8th grade I carried around a GoldenEye and a Mortal Kombat Trilogy strategy guide to every single class in school. I would read the GoldenEye one and I would use the MK one to sketch drawings of MK characters. I was also the first person in my school to unlock 007 mode, although to this day I've never been able to unlock most of the 00 Agent speedrun cheats, specifically the Facility Invincibility one.

I used the code to unlock invicibility on my cousin's copy of the game, but i was never able to enter the code fast enough again.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
paid someone $20 in college to drunk drive over to my house at 3 AM and beat the button mashing torture sequence in metal gear solid peace walker for me

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I had to get my brother's friend to mash hard enough to get the gold gem in the mischief makers olympics level or whatever

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
I traded in mischief makers and starfox 64 to funcoland for smash bros because I couldn’t mash fast enough to get that last gem and also I couldn’t get the final gold medal to unlock on foot mode in versus. My brothers were somewhat upset with this course of action

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Caithness posted:

I traded in mischief makers and starfox 64 to funcoland for smash bros because I couldn’t mash fast enough to get that last gem and also I couldn’t get the final gold medal to unlock on foot mode in versus. My brothers were somewhat upset with this course of action

your brothers sound like morons

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The first time I played through Banjo Kazooie, I used the infinite gold feathers cheat so that I could be in wonderwing permanently in Mad Monster Mansion, because I found the music too spooky.

This is the track I was scared of:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9cG9bjYfjQ

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

when i was a kid people with magazine guides were like gods whom you had to beg for scraps of hints. finding tips in the magazine rack for a game that your friends were playing meant it was your turn to be king.
me and my brother were stuck on the gall spaceport level of shadows of the empire for a loooong time, so my dad used to go into a game store on his lunch hour, read the strategy guide and then phone us from his office with whatever info he had managed to remember. it took us like 3 weeks total to make it through lol

one of those things you think nothing of as a kid, but now i feel all :shobon: about when looking back on it. good dad...

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Aston posted:

The first time I played through Banjo Kazooie, I used the infinite gold feathers cheat so that I could be in wonderwing permanently in Mad Monster Mansion, because I found the music too spooky.

scared of the spooky circus

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Aston posted:

this music blasting from an unmarked white van with googly eyes slowly circling a playground

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That song is kinda spooky for like the first 20 seconds but then the typical BK sounds kick in and it's hard to take seriously after that.

Mario 64 ghost house basement carrousel is scarier.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ghosts... don't... DIE!!! Hahaha... Can you get out of here... alive?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I thought dating sims were a waste of time until I played the pigeon one but now steam thinks I crave anime nudity

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

apropos to nothing posted:

I had to use a guide online to figure out how to beat psycho mantis in mgs1 the first time I played through it and then at school when people were talking about the fight I lied and pretended like I figured it out on my own too

they were lying too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

this music blasting from an unmarked white van with googly eyes slowly circling a playground

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

American McGay posted:

Mario 64 ghost house basement carrousel is scarier.
Super Mario 64 Haunted Hell (IncuCujoKondoD.Bros Mix) OC ReMix.mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFkVOHdb3Y

my confession is I burned this onto a CD and listened to it on the bus and somebody asked me what I was listening to and I told them to gently caress off because I didn't want them to know I was listening to OverClocked ReMixes

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Cubone posted:

Super Mario 64 Haunted Hell (IncuCujoKondoD.Bros Mix) OC ReMix.mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpFkVOHdb3Y

my confession is I burned this onto a CD and listened to it on the bus and somebody asked me what I was listening to and I told them to gently caress off because I didn't want them to know I was listening to OverClocked ReMixes

same except ddr music on a 128 meg mp3 player

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cat Machine posted:

me and my brother were stuck on the gall spaceport level of shadows of the empire for a loooong time, so my dad used to go into a game store on his lunch hour, read the strategy guide and then phone us from his office with whatever info he had managed to remember. it took us like 3 weeks total to make it through lol

one of those things you think nothing of as a kid, but now i feel all :shobon: about when looking back on it. good dad...

Your dad rules

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

When I was 10 I had to get my oldest brothers friend to take my gameboy home to beat the ice cave in Pokemon Gold for me

in my childhood playthrough i didn't understand how to use flash so i went through the dark cave area with no vision and just used trial and error to find the exit

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

in my childhood playthrough i didn't understand how to use flash so i went through the dark cave area with no vision and just used trial and error to find the exit

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

just remembered that I played earthbound later, in college, and when I fought giygas I used pray twice and because it just said my prayers weren't heard I figured you just had to kill him, so I spent a week trying in between classes,.staying up late, really trying to beat the game. my AIM was broken at the time and did this thing where it would just repeat the last thing that was said over.and over for a while. so I got a message from an ex that just said my name three times and then "I'm so cold..." and I thought giygas had gotten into the real world and taken over my ex girlfriend

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

growing increasingly convinced that Bicyclops is just Dougie from Twin Peaks The Return, amiably bumbling through insane ethereal dreamscapes at all times to the point where he's completely inured to it

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

growing increasingly convinced that Bicyclops is just Dougie from Twin Peaks The Return, amiably bumbling through insane ethereal dreamscapes at all times to the point where he's completely inured to it

last night i had a dream i wanted to remember for the dream thread and wrote "mario 64 reality thread circles" on our fridge whiteboard to remind me, but i don't understand what that means at all.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

last night i had a dream i wanted to remember for the dream thread and wrote "mario 64 reality thread circles" on our fridge whiteboard to remind me, but i don't understand what that means at all.

Jerry: That's it! Mario 64 reality thread circles! That's my note! ...There's nothing funny about that!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Fungah! posted:

Jerry: That's it! Mario 64 reality thread circles! That's my note! ...There's nothing funny about that!

lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

lol

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

when I was a kid we mostly only had Sierra adventure games and the part of Space Quest 3 on the lava planet gave me nightmares for years and I refused to play it until I was well into my teenage years. I was kind of a high-strung kid.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*quietly notes that fungah dared to compare me to jerry seinfeld*

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

*quietly notes that fungah dared to compare me to jerry seinfeld*

Bicyclops will remember this.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Bicyclops will remember this.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the first Medal of Honour game when I was a kid there was a sewer level with dogs in level 3. They scared me so much I could only ever play the first two levels and would have to stop unless I could convince my older brothers to play that bit for me.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

In the first Medal of Honour game when I was a kid there was a sewer level with dogs in level 3. They scared me so much I could only ever play the first two levels and would have to stop unless I could convince my older brothers to play that bit for me.

im pretty sure i posted this several times already but the fuzzies in Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy on Yoshi's Island freaked me out so much I had to get my dad to beat the level for me

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mario 64 was my first video game and I was 5 years old and I was so scared of the Whomps that when I tried to get on the elevator to the top of Whomp's Fortress and missed it and saw a Whomp lumbering up behind me I screamed and turned the console off.

In fairness I've been replaying it and it's a very odd, surreal game, I can get why it freaked me out in parts. I had a dream that one of the rotating eye things was trying to kill me with a laser the other night

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

mycophobia posted:

im pretty sure i posted this several times already but the fuzzies in Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy on Yoshi's Island freaked me out so much I had to get my dad to beat the level for me

It's okay I was afraid of pretty much everything up to and including certain sound effects in NES games, like Bald Bull's laugh in Punch Out.

Jason Sextro posted:

when I was a kid we mostly only had Sierra adventure games and the part of Space Quest 3 on the lava planet gave me nightmares for years and I refused to play it until I was well into my teenage years. I was kind of a high-strung kid.

When I was like 3 or 4 years old my brother showed me the death screen that you get when you fall in the lava and I ran out of the room screaming and to this day it makes me uncomfortable to look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I accidentally deleted my Pokemon Crystal save file after getting the 16th gym badge. I was crying and inconsolable, but my mom offered a suggestion that made sense to both of us: send the game cartridge to Nintendo with a description of how far into the game you were and they'll restore the save file for you. It didn't work but it was a nice idea. Nintendo just sent it back saying my issue wasn't covered under warranty.