Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Firstly I must regretfully inform you that as of yet no one has yet done the classic medieval draugr justice in cinema, as far as I know.

Tag yourself, I'm Egg Man Thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Halloween 3: Season of the Barbies

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Can't believe you forced me to look at these loving gorgeous photos, the lighting my god

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

these are great!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

They're an actual improvement on the movie.

E: Rinzler's Making of Aliens just came out. Slam dunk for me, the companion work on Alien is great.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 25, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stryder posted:

OMFG I thought I dreamt that movie. I have vague memories of seeing parts of it as a kid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbME1773n2s I feel like this is one of those late 70's/early 80's flicks that probably just had a giant bowl of cocaine on the craft services table.

I finally got around to watching it, it's definitely a fever dream. I think because I have had exposure to decades of horror/comedy at this point and it was a VinSyn drop, I was expecting something else. What I got was definitely a cocaine fueled B+/A- celebrity ensemble slapstick comedy with some horror overtones.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

:eyepop:

Its less harrowing this time because those Barbies look old enough to know better.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Hahaha yesss!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

These are all fuckin' awesome!

I'm always still a little sad about how freaky that cover of Halloween 3 made the movie look to me as a kid vs. how that shot is only in the movie for like maybe two seconds. I do appreciate the movie a lot more now though.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Everyone pressured me to stop playing with action figures when I hit my mid teens.

Courtesy of this thread I'm sorry as hell I listened to them.

Beautiful shots as a homage to the red-headed Halloween. Good stuff.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
NOOOOOOOOOOooooooo!!!

quote:

Carpenter, Blumhouse Consider “Thing” Reboot

https://www.darkhorizons.com/carpenter-blumhouse-consider-thing-reboot/

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hey if Carp's on board, so am I.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

The inner turmoil of one's cynicism being in mortal combat with one's optimism is a strange feeling, is that called hype?

Science fiction is the only genre that makes me feel human emotions anymore.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm down for it. The Thing might be my favorite film of all time and I'm always interested in seeing new takes on good material. Worst case, it's lovely and gets forgotten about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm down for it. The Thing might be my favorite film of all time and I'm always interested in seeing new takes on good material. Worst case, it's lovely and gets forgotten about.

In your "worst case" scenario, being forgotten is actually the best case.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
An actual sequel to The Thing or pseudo-Sequel with a new location that builds off of the trappings of the original would be cool with John and the right people.

As long as you never learn what happened to MacReady and Childs.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Timeless Appeal posted:

An actual sequel to The Thing or pseudo-Sequel with a new location that builds off of the trappings of the original would be cool with John and the right people.

As long as you never learn what happened to MacReady and Childs.

but we already know what happened to them. In the director approved video game, which is cannon.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dorium posted:

but we already know what happened to them. In the director approved video game, which is cannon.

Video game canon is one of the softest, easily changeable canons out there. It's like one step better than Kevin J. Anderson book canon or PEZ dispenser canon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

dorium posted:

Halloween II and H20, to some extent, were also Carpenter approved. And yet Halloween '18 exists.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I just feel like Carpenter's The Thing is about as close to a perfect horror movie as you can get. I don't think it needs a sequel or a prequel or any other continuation. The 2011 prequel was just dreadful and completely unnecessary.

I want to believe Carpenter's involvement would steer things in the right direction, but I'm not sure even he cares enough be more involved than to say, "Yeah, sure, sounds good man. Do whatever you want, I got XBox to play." I do like the Zombieweens, and maybe we'll get something closer to that than The Thing 2011 or the 2005 Assault on Precinct 13.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The planned Sci-Fi Channel sequel miniseries was interesting in that it honored the first film but went a totally different direction for the sequel—an Alien/Aliens kind of thing. I haven't read it myself, but by all accounts it sounds like just about as good as we could get from a sequel standpoint. I'm not really sure what more you can do with the concept that the first film didn't already accomplish while maintaining that Who Goes There essential DNA. Like, you can make an action movie with a shapeshifter but it wouldn't really feel like The Thing.

My pitch would probably be the end-of-world scenario playing out where our heroes just survive as long as they can with a bleak and nihilistic ending. But I can't really see a studio going for that sort of thing.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
About the only one of Carpenters film's that wouldn't offend me with a remake is Assault on Precinct 13.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

boy do i have news for u

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

But VFW was great

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The blumhouse reboot should have the thing land within the continental United States and have it end like the first episode of Midnight Gospel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjNkPuFeMvs

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Stryder posted:

I just feel like Carpenter's The Thing is about as close to a perfect horror movie as you can get. I don't think it needs a sequel or a prequel or any other continuation. The 2011 prequel was just dreadful and completely unnecessary.
I agree that it's near perfect, but I think The Thing doesn't need to be married to the story of the original film at all. I think you can do a parallel story with the same alien that doesn't have to touch the original's tale.

Like a War movie with The Thing would probably be great.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The Thing Goes to Washington.

e:

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 25, 2020

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

When I was young and dumb (I'm now old and dumb) I used to fantasize about a The Thing vs The Blob movie. It could be a lot of fun, given that The Blob is presumably impervious to The Thing, but The Thing would be able to out-strategise The Blob. Then you'd presumably have a bunch of unfortunate humans caught in the crossfire.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It sounds like this new version of The Thing is an alternate adaptation of Who Goes There? more than a remake of the movie, and honestly, between that and Carpenter being involved I'm on board.

If Halloween 2018 was any indication, Carpenter being attached to a remake/reboot of one of his things is a good sign.

e: yeah, on a further look, apparently an expanded version of Who Goes There? got discovered not that long ago, and this is specifically an adaptation of that, with them explicitly planning to include all the new stuff that got cut from the original story. I'm entirely okay with that, especially since The Thing was already attempt #2 in the first place.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 25, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

About the only one of Carpenters film's that wouldn't offend me with a remake is Assault on Precinct 13.

Is this a troll? They did remake AOP13. (Not to mention that Carpenter technically remade it himself twice.)

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

Is this a troll? They did remake AOP13. (Not to mention that Carpenter technically remade it himself twice.)

I haven't seen the Ethan Hawk remake, but I wanted to clarify that all of Carpenter's works (yes including Halloween) AOP13 has a core that's accessible and malleable than the rest. No one wants another Escape from New York.

VFW is probably the best possible outcome, but the "band of suspicious men under siege by punks" sub-genre is starved for the amount of potential it holds.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it already peaked when Green Room came out, which, as a thriller and not a horror movie, I will not discuss itt :colbert:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Assault on Precinct 13 is basically a remake of Rio Bravo.

As is Ghosts of Mars.

and kinda sorta Prince of Darkness I guess?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

I haven't seen the Ethan Hawk remake, but I wanted to clarify that all of Carpenter's works (yes including Halloween) AOP13 has a core that's accessible and malleable than the rest. No one wants another Escape from New York.

I mean, I actually feel like Escape from NY is similarly malleable. You can do a lot with the premise of "badass gets dropped into hostile area with no support, in order to rescue a VIP" without having it literally just be Escape from NY again.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Brian De Palma's Body Double in 45 mins on the CineD Discord :spooky:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I want that dude in Body Double's weird bachelor pad in the sky, gaudy decor and all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Assault on Precinct 13 is basically a remake of Rio Bravo.

As is Ghosts of Mars.

and kinda sorta Prince of Darkness I guess?

Yeah, Prince of Darkness is Rio Bravo by way of Nigel Kneale.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Saw this and thought of you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_zd0G8HGSo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Omg this is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I mean, I actually feel like Escape from NY is similarly malleable. You can do a lot with the premise of "badass gets dropped into hostile area with no support, in order to rescue a VIP" without having it literally just be Escape from NY again.

Predator is a remake of Escape from New York :colbert: