Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

fauna posted:

oh lord i'm so sorry, that's the most first world problem imaginable

e: i have deleted the self-absorbed rant about people buying me expensive art supplies. being honour-bound to create a large intricate work in a medium i despise is an opportunity for artistic self-transformation

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
As penance for this presumed rant you should post a panel form your webcomic.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

FunkyAl posted:

As penance for this presumed rant you should post a panel form your webcomic.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:swoon:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you’re feeling froggy we have an ongoing comic jam a rolling over in GBS. Post another panel or two; I’m curious as to what sort of operation you were running there.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Here is a panel I drew in 2014

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That’s primo avatar material right there friend.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I'm thinking watto frankly. Or a wizard rat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fauna

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

echinopsis posted:

fauna

my fingers have transformed into colour pencils. my wrists, colour pencils. my heart, a colour pencil

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

fauna posted:

my fingers have transformed into colour pencils. my wrists, colour pencils. my heart, a colour pencil

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

it has been an unexpected joy rediscovering all these different shades of blue. delft blue, prussian blue, indigo, ultramarine! all blue, so alike, and yet not

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

fauna posted:

it has been an unexpected joy rediscovering all these different shades of blue. delft blue, prussian blue, indigo, ultramarine! all blue, so alike, and yet not

i for one am quite partial to indanthrene blue and light ultramarine. and light phthalo blue, that poo poo's where it's at

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Karenina posted:

i for one am quite partial to indanthrene blue and light ultramarine. and light phthalo blue, that poo poo's where it's at
i do not have any of those colours :(

my blues are ultramarine, delft, smalt, cobalt, spectrum, sky, light, prussian, indigo, oriental (rude) and kingfisher. and turquoise, but is that a blue or a green? one of life's mysteries. anyway i'm trying to make use of all these blues to depict the natural biodiversity of leaves

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i am also rich in browns! burnt carmine, terracotta, copper beech, burnt sienna, raw sienna, burnt yellow ochre, golden brown, brown ochre, raw umber, burnt umber, vandyke brown, sepia, bronze, chocolate, and venetian red (it claims to be red, but lives among the browns)

so many colours, so little time

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

fauna posted:

my blues are ultramarine, delft, smalt, cobalt, spectrum, sky, light, prussian, indigo, oriental (rude) and kingfisher. and turquoise, but is that a blue or a green? one of life's mysteries. anyway i'm trying to make use of all these blues to depict the natural biodiversity of leaves

the japanese language did not distunguish between "blue" and "green" until fairly recently, and the word 青 (ao) is still used for both. makes u think....

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The word "orange" is similarly recent, and used to fall under the purview of reds. Artifacts of that time stuck with the english language long past the point where more precise words came into use to describe their colors so orange-haired people are still called "red-haired." Most robins called "red" are actually orange, though robins with true red plumage also exist.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

See 'wine dark sea'

Also Indrathene blue is the best

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Xarbala posted:

Most robins called "red" are actually orange, though robins with true red plumage also exist.
australia has a bright pink robin!

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

fauna posted:

keep your grays, reds, purples, and yellows handy. they'll get your leaves looking spicy

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I got something called "german earth" which is real good. I also gotta endorse payne's grey, and recommend not using ptalo blue. I've never been a fan, it's real green and one time a tube of ptahlo green broke and stained everything. French ultramarine over "regular," I'm also liking alternate yellows. Hansa and nickel titanate, muy bueno.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey Goons,

Is there a 'make poo poo outta clay' thread? Or a jewelery making thread? TIA

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

FunkyAl posted:

I got something called "german earth" which is real good. I also gotta endorse payne's grey, and recommend not using ptalo blue. I've never been a fan, it's real green and one time a tube of ptahlo green broke and stained everything. French ultramarine over "regular," I'm also liking alternate yellows. Hansa and nickel titanate, muy bueno.

What pigment numbers? The names can be meaningless - e.g. Sennelliers French Ultramarine is a mix (Pb29+Pv15) , for pure Pb29 you need their Ultramarine Deep.

Their Indrathrene is Pb60

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey folks, is there a thread for lego? I don’t know if that would be in this subforum or somewhere else, but I figured there was probably something.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey folks, is there a thread for lego? I don’t know if that would be in this subforum or somewhere else, but I figured there was probably something.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Thanks!

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

I'm a hot bitch angel named Panty. And no matter what anyone says,
I DO WHAT I FUCKING WANT!
After reading through this thread and earlier discussions about the definition of art, I think I can finally stop agonizing and conclude that yes, terrarium building is art, and I do belong in the artgoon discord (joined today) and the art forum. Especially since I plan to document the process of turning my 55 gallon birthday present tank into a finished piece, including crappy MS Paint mockups and weird technique stuff. I also plan to incorporate miniatures into it, which is a whole other can of worms I've never touched.

I'll start a new thread for it when I'm back home and working on it for real (assuming it's ok), but in the meantime, is there a model railroad or miniatures thread i can consult for advice on the miniatures piece? I want to work on individual parts of the project separately to avoid burnout. Also, I've tried looking into miniatures communities, and there are... many facets to the hobby. And super varied.

In the miniatures and kinda environmental design vein, my idea incorporates a temple hidden deep in a slate cliff face. I want to make a temple design (complete with little people in religious raiments) that meets two criteria: 1) frog motif and 2) doesn't appropriate extant cultures or religions. Anyone with any experience creating made up religions have any ideas for going about doing this? I'm not really looking to establish a fantasy culture or anything, just "looks cool, froggy themed, fits landscape, isn't offensive." I've got a lot of time on this since the grunt work of building the hardscape is going to take a million years, but I'd like to get a head start now since I'm very inexperienced with creating building models from scratch.

I've got the hardscape and plants all planned out, and the technique I think p solid. Still super nervous to post it but I do kinda want to show off my weird little niche. My therapist has encouraged me to document and share the process so it can't be that bad, right? :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Axqu posted:

After reading through this thread and earlier discussions about the definition of art, I think I can finally stop agonizing and conclude that yes, terrarium building is art, and I do belong in the artgoon discord (joined today) and the art forum. Especially since I plan to document the process of turning my 55 gallon birthday present tank into a finished piece, including crappy MS Paint mockups and weird technique stuff. I also plan to incorporate miniatures into it, which is a whole other can of worms I've never touched.

I'll start a new thread for it when I'm back home and working on it for real (assuming it's ok), but in the meantime, is there a model railroad or miniatures thread i can consult for advice on the miniatures piece? I want to work on individual parts of the project separately to avoid burnout. Also, I've tried looking into miniatures communities, and there are... many facets to the hobby. And super varied.

In the miniatures and kinda environmental design vein, my idea incorporates a temple hidden deep in a slate cliff face. I want to make a temple design (complete with little people in religious raiments) that meets two criteria: 1) frog motif and 2) doesn't appropriate extant cultures or religions. Anyone with any experience creating made up religions have any ideas for going about doing this? I'm not really looking to establish a fantasy culture or anything, just "looks cool, froggy themed, fits landscape, isn't offensive." I've got a lot of time on this since the grunt work of building the hardscape is going to take a million years, but I'd like to get a head start now since I'm very inexperienced with creating building models from scratch.

I've got the hardscape and plants all planned out, and the technique I think p solid. Still super nervous to post it but I do kinda want to show off my weird little niche. My therapist has encouraged me to document and share the process so it can't be that bad, right? :)

that sounds insanely rad, and i'd be totally up for reading that thread. maybe try DIY for the advice? I haven't seen one around, but feel free to poll any threads in CC for knowledgeable goons.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I definitely want to know more about your terrarium builds! That's 100% art and 100% awesome.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i would love to read your terrarium thread and see the in-progress shots!

as for the froggy temple, think about how you will reproduce something that has the form of a frog. frogs have a few different shapes depending on what they're doing - sitting, leaping, swimming - they have sleek bulbous lines coupled with muscularity and grace (in their outstretched hind legs, for instance). sketching a few photos of frogs in various stages of activity will really help you think about how you could apply those principles to the shape of a building. anatomy and finish isn't important, so you can just work off google images; just very rough sketches, trying to get the basic shapes down. irl temples have a lot of decorative features like towers and domes that could easily be made froglike, and most of those elements appear across cultures, so you wouldn't be plagiarising any one culture. think too about the colour and texture of a frog. they're usually in shades of green or brown, either solid-coloured to blend in on live leaves, or dappled to blend in with litter, and they are smooth and glossy, with vibrant jewel-like eyes. enamelling on a dome or roof could made it look very froglike, and there's endless possibilities to incorporate colour in windows and mosaics! good luck :frog:

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

Thread is up for my paludarium build! Really excited about it. Still adjusting to what I do counting as a creative endeavor. Probably way wordier and spergier than I intended, but that's what happens when I get excited about a thing! It has been forever since I have been excited about a thing :)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Axqu posted:

Thread is up for my paludarium build! Really excited about it. Still adjusting to what I do counting as a creative endeavor. Probably way wordier and spergier than I intended, but that's what happens when I get excited about a thing! It has been forever since I have been excited about a thing :)
it is so cool. i didn't realise at first that you were putting real live phibs in it, they are gorgeous and i can't wait to see their palace

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

you might want to avoid saying "spergy", we used to say it all the time on this site but it's a pejorative

that does not diminish the coolness of the project, or the beauty of the frogs

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

fauna posted:

you might want to avoid saying "spergy", we used to say it all the time on this site but it's a pejorative

that does not diminish the coolness of the project, or the beauty of the frogs

Thanks for the support!!

Yeah, I'm aware. I recently started to accept that the autism diagnosis I got at 18 is actually correct (as confirmed by my much more competent current healthcare team; long story) and it's freaking me right the gently caress out. It's self-depreciating gallows humor from a disability self-acceptance perspective and trying to cope with a newly shattered self-image, but there's no way to know that without knowing my medical history. Making fun of the problem takes the sting out of it for me and also (weirdly) helps me accept that there's just some oddness to my behavior that I really can't help/ I'm not a bad or stupid person for not having social rhythms quite right. Very bad look without the background, though. It's a coping skill that came out sideways in a way I only intended to be pointed at myself. I'll watch it better going forward. :)

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Axqu posted:

Thanks for the support!!

Yeah, I'm aware. I recently started to accept that the autism diagnosis I got at 18 is actually correct (as confirmed by my much more competent current healthcare team; long story) and it's freaking me right the gently caress out. It's self-depreciating gallows humor from a disability self-acceptance perspective and trying to cope with a newly shattered self-image, but there's no way to know that without knowing my medical history. Making fun of the problem takes the sting out of it for me and also (weirdly) helps me accept that there's just some oddness to my behavior that I really can't help/ I'm not a bad or stupid person for not having social rhythms quite right. Very bad look without the background, though. It's a coping skill that came out sideways in a way I only intended to be pointed at myself. I'll watch it better going forward. :)
:unsmith: thanks for taking it well. i have autism too, and am personally not offended by the word (i feel similarly about it to how you do!) but yeah, it's probably best if you try not to use it around here or it'll cause you a few problems. there's a whole lot of words i've had to cut out of my vocabulary these past few years, some of which i could never quite find a replacement for, but it is for the greater good.

Axqu
Nov 28, 2016

fauna posted:

:unsmith: thanks for taking it well. i have autism too, and am personally not offended by the word (i feel similarly about it to how you do!) but yeah, it's probably best if you try not to use it around here or it'll cause you a few problems. there's a whole lot of words i've had to cut out of my vocabulary these past few years, some of which i could never quite find a replacement for, but it is for the greater good.

Not even remotely intent on cutting it out of my vocabulary. Just recognizing that the time and place for that kind of tongue-in-cheek self-depreciating humor is for when I'm around my close family and friends who recognize what my specific intent is with the joke and that it'll only ever be targeted at myself. I'm not a fan of the thought that some things are off-limits in humor, and trying to police the language people in marginalized groups use to describe themselves will never not be icky to me. It's gallows humor if the person with the noose around their neck makes the joke, and part of the execution otherwise-- my take here is that it'd be courteous of me to contain the jokes to people who can see the rope, not that making jokes at the expense of my own brain mechanics is inherently unethical.

Processing a lot on the disability acceptance front but it's slow going. Giving myself poo poo for it makes things easier. But, as you said, time and place. :)

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
Anyone else like newsletters, or write one? I bloody love the things, it's like getting blog posts in the mail. Like very slow written podcasts. I'm writing my own newsletter and i'm looking for more to read. So far my favs are the whippet (fun facts) and future crunch (optimistic news). Plus naturally my own newsletter which is 1/2 coronavirus lockdown diary 1/2 book discussion. Who else newsletters here?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I too want to poo next to the anti poo sign, make a little defiant poop garden

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Anyone know nice places to live with good art scenes? Somewhere cheap and nice to be, I am thinking of Santa Fe but anyplace could be nice. Probably north american.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I hear decent things about Omaha.