Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There was a comic I read years ago where in the afterword the author talked about how they'd written several stories about lesbian couples before but this was there first time doing a yuri story and it stood out to me because previously I probably would've thought all manga like that would be considered yuri but thats not really the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is basically what I was getting at earlier.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the key in all this is the time a prolific yuri artist tweeted "portal is yuri"

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the "its just friendship between girls" part was what made me think that it becoming more directly romantic isn't too likely, more than the "not yuri" part

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
A section about 'just friendship' isn't in the tweet thread, and the part where they bring up yuri is, to be clear, that the mangaka says they aren't going to define it as yuri or say that it's wrong if someone else calls it yuri.

I wouldn't know if the deleted reply at the top was less neutral, but from what I see there's not really an authorial statement coming down. It's just "think of it what you will"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd heard about the author's statement before but never saw a full tl of it so it kinda felt like there was context being lost

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih posted:

the "its just friendship between girls" part was what made me think that it becoming more directly romantic isn't too likely
i cant find anywhere where they actually say that. what they say is closer to 'i dont want to define it as 'different' from other manga', at least im p. sure thats what shes saying. nowhere in this do they definitively say that it 'isn't romantic' or that the characters are straight

its possible the deleted tweets said that, but given that they explain they deleted them because they didn't want people to take them out of context, i doubt they said anything that definitive either. because a definitive statement like 'its just friendship between girls' would mean the same thing in or out of context.

i am not accusing you of anything since we all get second/third hand information telephone gamed to us sometimes, but my guess is that someone - who has the stereotypical western view of 'all lesbian manga is 'yuri' - saw the author saying that they don't want to call it yuri, and editorialized it as 'they're saying its not gay,' and people took that as gospel.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 20, 2020

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/haginomakoto/status/1099949198210781184

if you're talking about here it's like, "The approach from the store?" (I assumed this related to being advertised as yuri) "I don't want to deny it like "that's wrong!" but instead if I just continue to draw what I want to, I believe that eventually what I want to express—the world I want to depict will be conveyed. I will continue to draw with this wish in mind."

well, in any case this is like, a very unofficial twitter convo and I think mining all of your impressions of the manga from here is probably not what they want. 99.99% of people who read nettaigyo will not see this

however, i'm sure you could glean something about the mangaka from their numerous yuri doujinshi on dynasty scans

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Endorph posted:

i am not accusing you of anything since we all get second/third hand information telephone gamed to us sometimes, but my guess is that someone - who has the stereotypical western view of 'all lesbian manga is 'yuri' - saw the author saying that they don't want to call it yuri, and editorialized it as 'they're saying its not gay,' and people took that as gospel.
yeah that's definitely a big part of that misunderstanding. idk where the "just about friendship" bit was supposed to be from if not that tweet thread but since there doesn't seem to be any clear source for it then guess we can forget about it.

now that the creator hasn't more directly ruled it out i will also be a little disappointed if they don't kiss lol

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

learned something new today

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

https://twitter.com/haginomakoto/status/1099949198210781184

if you're talking about here it's like, "The approach from the store?" (I assumed this related to being advertised as yuri)
I think what happened was the manga was in the yuri section and someone asked the author about it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Run Away With Me, Girl. It was real good! Worth the wait.

A question, though -- in the TL notes at the end they mention two other mangas as "a tough read but so good", Octave (which is already on my to-read list) and "The Feelings Which We-- *shot*", and I have no idea what the second one is referring to. Anyone know?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/the_feelings_we_all_must_endure

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thank you!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Haha oh poo poo, I totally didn't notice them all being based on the seven deadly sins and their associated demons.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i knew because i reread the ending recently to reaffirm that, yeah, i had no desire to reread the rest of it :angel:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I read it a while back and it took me a chapter to realize I'd already read it. Didn't remember much from it honestly

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it's well liked i just can't read stuff about people being complete doormats

the like ace character rules though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Literally nobody in that was likable. I hated everyone. The ace character and the MC, I hated the least.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I love the latest Witch's Servant. Just pure gender euphoria for Rei, it's delightful.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

I Am Fowl posted:

I love the latest Witch's Servant. Just pure gender euphoria for Rei, it's delightful.

God I know that first time skirt feel.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

Everything about it just keeps getting better somehow. Well, the supposed main plot is kind of on the backburner, but I think that works in the manga's favour.
According to the (surprisingly not-horrible) comments on Mangadex, the japanese version is at least up to chapter 77, so there's quite a bit yet to come :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Read Collectors. It's real good and real gay.

The covers to the magazine it was in are also good:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 24, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn are those covers incredible.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know!

Edit: Looks like this is the magazine: https://twitter.com/rakuen_info

Seems to be grab-bag shoujo, I can't pick out an exact theme.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 24, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

hi all

I'm in the process of trying to figure some stuff out and was wondering if anyone had a rec for a bi-focused show or manga, or I guess something with that at least as a focus. I'm not really at all certain how to say what I'm looking for, it's frustrating, I guess I'm just kind of hoping to find something that happens to mirror the stuff I'm grappling with.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
two Hero Who Pulled Out the Holy Sword updates

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh Snapple! posted:

hi all

I'm in the process of trying to figure some stuff out and was wondering if anyone had a rec for a bi-focused show or manga, or I guess something with that at least as a focus. I'm not really at all certain how to say what I'm looking for, it's frustrating, I guess I'm just kind of hoping to find something that happens to mirror the stuff I'm grappling with.

If you’re okay with talking about it, what stuff are you grappling with?

:wtc: Why is this so...fetishy

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 25, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think the best way to sum it up is essentially in coming to terms with and just accepting it. I've had a mentality for a few years now of "Nah, you're not bi, you're just a hosed up selfish piece of poo poo looking to hide behind a genuine identity." It's a big reason I've never been involved in any lgbtq threads here, and it's something I'm trying to get past.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can be selfish and bi, as shown in uhhhh jealousy by scarlet beriko (note: not actually shown in that)

for real tho the only thing i can think of that deals that much with bisexuality is utena. theres other stuff with bi characters but not much that really explores the identity. probably because of the whole yaoi/yuri genre thing, usually if a character is bi its still primarily interested in their same-sex relationships.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pollyanna posted:

:wtc: Why is this so...fetishy

i don't really get that from it, its mostly jokes about the protag and her experiencing gender europhia. the jokes can be sexual and the manga borrows motifs i guess you can expect from more fetishy things but ehh

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 25, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fair. I’m used to seeing the same things employed by people who specifically set out to make fetish art, so it’s hard for me to separate the two concepts. That and I’ve always been very reserved/self-conscious about my own gender stuff, so that leaked in as well. I’m bad with indulging in girliness.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah uhhh not to judge but if you associate happiness with performing the gender you want to perform with 'fetishness,' thats on you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

yeah uhhh not to judge but if you associate happiness with performing the gender you want to perform with 'fetishness,' thats on you

i don't think that is what made polyanna read it as fetishy but the motifs used throughout the manga.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
honestly if it was actively fetishy tho i would prob be fine with it, i only really get bothered by that stuff when i find its being actively harmful. understand why others do tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i don't think that is what made polyanna read it as fetishy but the motifs used throughout the manga.

i dont know what motifs are

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Well you see before Tv Tropes there was Motif-Index of Folk-Literature and

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Well you see before Tv Tropes there was Motif-Index of Folk-Literature and
And thats how fate stay night was born

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Don’t you dare invoke the fell name of *V Tro*es in My House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Endorph posted:

That’s not the fetishy-to-me part, it’s the uhhh hm.

I don’t know what part of it I was thinking of.

I think it might be the terminology? The use of the word “girlification” sets off some alarm bells for me, but that seems to be the translator, not the original author.

Snooze Cruise posted:

honestly if it was actively fetishy tho i would prob be fine with it, i only really get bothered by that stuff when i find its being actively harmful. understand why others do tho.

It’s not actively harmful, it’s just indulgent in a way I’m not used to. Which isn’t the same as fetishy now that I think about it.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 25, 2020