Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

fartknocker posted:

Every retail or retail adjacent place I ever worked had the whole “discussing your pay is a fireable offense” included. It’s almost universal in the U.S. to my knowledge, maybe outside of union places where everyone knows the wage scale.

Which, ironically, is illegal. Except in very specific circumstances, which your average retail/wage slave job does not cover, it is illegal for an employer to prohibit or punish employees discussing their compensation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zurtilik posted:

No joke about Mad About You. I thought it was something that lasted a season and then I read about and was like "Wow... This was a hit, huh?"

I feel like the Drew Carey Show kind of disappeared too. But maybe I just don't look in the right places.

Or maybe they want to keep it slightly hidden to better protect that Price is Right sterility.

I had to track down episodes on :filez:, because I wanted the Cleveland Rocks title sequence. They don't use that opening in syndication because of that bane of all TV from the 90's - missing music rights.

Also I had to look it up. Mad About You played for 8 drat seasons. But it had a Thursday night time slot so it could have been 30 minutes of paint drying and people would still watch it while waiting for Seinfeld to come on.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My mom was legit upset when they replaced Five O’Clock World as the theme to the Drew Carey show. NGL, the song slaps and I miss oldies radio stations all of a sudden.

I would also like to point out that the first episode my parents watched was an extended fart joke (which included the post-credits sonogram baby farting), and that’s what made them into Drew Carey fans. We’re simple folk.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had to track down episodes on :filez:, because I wanted the Cleveland Rocks title sequence. They don't use that opening in syndication because of that bane of all TV from the 90's - missing music rights.

They were using it on the Laff syndication earlier this year (or was it last year), the first two or three seasons didn't use it as the title sequence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

They were using it on the Laff syndication earlier this year (or was it last year), the first two or three seasons didn't use it as the title sequence.

It was missing as of 3 or 4 years ago when I went searching around for it. Probably a lot easier with 1 song than it was with hundreds of songs for something like Daria or Beavis & Butthead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Mine can't be the only family whose memory of The Drew Carey Show was always tied to Whose Line Is It Anyway. It felt almost inevitable that if you knew the Drew Carey Whose Line, you'd eventually start watching The Drew Carey Show on the strength of Ryan Stiles alone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Iron Crowned posted:

I think it was only the first season that used a different song (Moon Over Parma), and that's why only the first season is available in a DVD box set.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Home Improvement was consistently one of the highest rated sitcoms on tv for years but I don’t know anyone who is even remotely nostalgic for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Friends was in the same cinematic universe as Mad About You

So was Seinfeld.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also Friends was in the same cinematic universe as Mad About You, which has to be one of the most popular shows to completely fall off cultural radar the moment it went off the air. It had a revival last year and no one cared.

I think Murphy Brown fell off harder, or at least had further to fall to the same level of “completely forgotten”.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Probably because the people who need their Tim Allen fix already have 8 seasons of Last Man Standing to get through, plus new episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

Mine can't be the only family whose memory of The Drew Carey Show was always tied to Whose Line Is It Anyway. It felt almost inevitable that if you knew the Drew Carey Whose Line, you'd eventually start watching The Drew Carey Show on the strength of Ryan Stiles alone.

I remember watching both of them on the Comedy Channel, (Comedy Central for Australia's horrible pay TV, I think) and there's definitely some crossover appeal.

I also remember a skit about 'Unlikely petitions' having 'Get Drew Carey a third show'

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

letthereberock posted:

Home Improvement was consistently one of the highest rated sitcoms on tv for years but I don’t know anyone who is even remotely nostalgic for it.

Dana Carvey

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

letthereberock posted:

it is me

i desire a roomful of al borland merch to remember the good times

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

letthereberock posted:

I don't for sure, but I remember having summers in the late 90's/early 00's, where it was on some cable channel for hours as background noise.

EDIT:

hard counter posted:

i desire a roomful of al borland merch to remember the good times

:hai:

I now have to walk back part of my post

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Sorry to stray off topic but something that always bugged me about Home Improvement: was “Tool Time”, the show-within-the-show on Home Improvement, intended time be a comedy in the universe of the show, or was it intended to be a legit home improvement show where Tim was just constantly screwing up? I watched that show a lot (because it was on tv) but I’m not sure if they ever addressed that?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

letthereberock posted:

Sorry to stray off topic but something that always bugged me about Home Improvement: was “Tool Time”, the show-within-the-show on Home Improvement, intended time be a comedy in the universe of the show, or was it intended to be a legit home improvement show where Tim was just constantly screwing up? I watched that show a lot (because it was on tv) but I’m not sure if they ever addressed that?

I always got the "Incompetent Bob Vila" vibe over "American Red Green"

Or a home improvement version of this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeEIXsz4o5g

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think Murphy Brown fell off harder, or at least had further to fall to the same level of “completely forgotten”.

Murphy Brown is hamstringed by requiring a CSPAM level familiarity with the politics of 1988.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

letthereberock posted:

It always seemed like an entertainment show with home improvement topics. Kind of like cooking shows like Rachel Ray or something where they crack jokes to the audience while actually teaching a bit of cooking. And Tim was supposed to be the jokester while Al was the straight man. BUT I don't think and of the physical comedy was supposed to be intentional or an act.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

letthereberock posted:

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a weekly infomercial for Binford Tools.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Kojiro posted:

Fully agree. Jojo is still a loving mess in particular though :v:

Eh, I think it's a case of "fair for its day." Stuff like Stroheim or Yukako the crazy possessive girlfriend gets side-eyes today, but back then they were responses to or riffs on other things. (What if Indiana Jones...but one of the Nazis was a GOOD GUY??? What if Stephen King's Misery....but with HAIR POWERS???)

Araki has gone on record saying he regrets how he's written female characters in the past which is why he made Jolyne. (aka the best Jojo)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think Nazis being good guys was a thing in the 90s.

Though I think in its day kind of get overused similar to judging things for its time where people pretend past views where monolithic

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think Nazis being good guys was a thing in the 90s.

That's my point though?

That is to say, Araki was just taking common tropes of the time and twisting them. Nazis were a common "default bad guy" and I think he just wanted to put a spin on a trope. I'm not saying Araki likes Nazis or that we should be more sympathetic to them or whatever, but early Jojo was very much inspired by classic pulp fiction and that's just one of the ways it shows.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Aug 25, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a weekly infomercial for Binford Tools.

It was a vehicle to deliver pre-Baywatch Pamela Anderson to TV.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

letthereberock posted:

For a couple of years there, TV networks were grabbing every decent stand-up comic they could to adapt to a TV show. I guess it was an over-reaction to Rosanne and Cosby's success.

So you ended up with Home Improvement, Grace Under Fire, Drew Carey, Seinfeld, Mad About You, Martin, Ellen, etc. It got to the point where there was a shortage of comics touring because all the good ones were doing TV shows. And all the shows were mostly formulaic and forgettable except for maybe Seinfeld.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That's my point though?

I mean then it doesn’t make sense to frame it if it’s day.

Though your point seems to be it wasn’t of its day but specifically not of its day so I don’t know why the time frame would change it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

And all the shows were mostly formulaic and forgettable except for maybe Seinfeld.

Seinfeld seeming formulaic is mostly in retrospect, it did a lot of stuff other sitcoms never would have done at the time that went on to become standard after it succeeded so well. Stuff like the Chinese restaurant or parking garage episodes, the characters often failing utterly and ending the episode embarrassed, “no hugging no learning”, so on and so forth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Formulaic doesn’t have to mean in a meta sense.

A show can be formulaic in itself

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

For a couple of years there, TV networks were grabbing every decent stand-up comic they could to adapt to a TV show. I guess it was an over-reaction to Rosanne and Cosby's success.

So you ended up with Home Improvement, Grace Under Fire, Drew Carey, Seinfeld, Mad About You, Martin, Ellen, etc. It got to the point where there was a shortage of comics touring because all the good ones were doing TV shows. And all the shows were mostly formulaic and forgettable except for maybe Seinfeld.

Home Improvement worked because it was a wholesome family comedy. All the others listed had things that white-bread Midwesterners would have to cover the eyes and/or ears of their sensitive little babbys on occasion.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Though your point seems to be it wasn’t of its day but specifically not of its day so I don’t know why the time frame would change it

Something that's purposefully lamp shading or subverting the tropes of its day will be just as much of its day because of the tropes of its day.

Bizarro is defined by Superman.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Murphy Brown is hamstringed by requiring a CSPAM level familiarity with the politics of 1988.

I just remember all the mileage they got out of Dan Quayle picking a fight with them. Like, how would you even explain Dan Quayle to someone growing up in the age of Trump?

“Why did people make fun of this Quayle guy so much?”
“Well he publicly condemned a fictional character for having a child out of wedlock.”
“Oh- but did he do anything like openly try to tank the stock of companies he didn’t like, or talk about wanting to have sex with his daughter?”
“No, but he did once spell potato wrong and that was a big deal.”
“The 90s sound nice”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Something that's purposefully lamp shading or subverting the tropes of its day will be just as much of its day because of the tropes of its day.

Bizarro is defined by Superman.

But like Nazis are bad is still mainstream now, so it would theoretically still work today.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because the 90's were 3 decades ago and you have to be familiar with what the landscape was like back then in regards to media and pop culture to understand the tropes being spoofed and referenced?

CharlestheHammer posted:

But like Nazis are bad is still mainstream now, so it would theoretically still work today.

Yes, but again, back then, they were more "generic mooks if you can't think of another bad guy to throw in your action movie." It was "safe" to use them because people thought they were a thing of the past and that we'd never have to worry about them ever again. Therefore, you could potentially get away with playing with their archetype. Having a Nazi fighting on the side of the good guys was surprising simply because it was different and a spin on a trope.

rydiafan posted:

Edit: Although, based on current political events, I'm not so certain Nazis being bad is still the mainstream.

Pretty much this. I've heard of conventions banning people from cosplaying as Stroheim or Red Skull or other Nazi characters and I can't say I blame them.

Kaiser Mazoku has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Aug 25, 2020

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

In the movie Swingers, Jon Favreau’s character, a struggling comedian, says something to the effect of “I came to LA because I heard they were handing out sitcoms to comedians at the airport.” It doesn’t work out for his character in the movie, but the funny thing is given the nature of tv in the time it wasn’t the worst plan.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't disagree with you on this particular example, but the concept is sound.

Edit: Although, based on current political events, I'm not so certain Nazis being bad is still the mainstream.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

letthereberock posted:

In the movie Swingers, Jon Favreau’s character, a struggling comedian, says something to the effect of “I came to LA because I heard they were handing out sitcoms to comedians at the airport.” It doesn’t work out for his character in the movie, but the funny thing is given the nature of tv in the time it wasn’t the worst plan.

He thought he was so money, but he didn't know yet that he wasn't.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

letthereberock posted:

in tim's eyes it was always a genuine home improvement show where he could impress audiences at home with his practical know-how, but, because of his primal urge to overclock everything and constant screw-ups, it came off as a diy goofus and gallant to in-universe audiences and they loved it under those terms

ofc audiences at home thought the screw-ups were staged and meant to be instructive instead of ol' tim dangerously overcharging equipment just so he can grunt himself into a manly frenzy

e: i do recall in the 90s nazis had more kitch than today, it's like people are moving back to being spooked by them than just loling at them

hard counter has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Aug 25, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

muscles like this! posted:

To be fair, the revival was one of those bullshit provider specific channels so it isn't too weird that people don't even know it happened.

I had heard it was going to happen, I had no idea that it did already.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Because the 90's were 3 decades ago and you have to be familiar with what the landscape was like back then in regards to media and pop culture to understand the tropes being spoofed and referenced?

I think people are familiar with Indiana Jones.

Hell when battle tendancy came out only the first two movies where out. So calling them a trope is silly.

The third came out the year it ended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think people are familiar with Indiana Jones.

Hell when battle tendancy came out only the first two movies where out. So calling them a trope is silly.

The third came out the year it ended

You know Indiana Jones wasn't the only thing to do it right