Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

90% of anime is somewhere on the Will-To-Power spectrum, where the hero wins because he Wants It More and Refuses To Give Up and Uses His Natural Gifts to overcome undeserving and treacherous adversaries.

That's like most of storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s not Goku’s fault that his opponents seek strength for impure reasons of violence and worldly power instead of seeking it merely for its own sake and the betterment of one’s self.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Volcott posted:

I'm not sure if it's out and out fascist but they do only meet Hitler in the first anime, not the second one that's more like the manga.

Also alchemy may or may not have been powered by the holocaust. I think that happened.

The main bad guy wants to create a sorcerers stone in order to keep living forever, but it takes the deaths of an entire city to do that. So she puppet-mastered a state agency of alchemists so someone would always be trying to make sorcerers stones, and a genocidal army so there would always be enough killing to power the creation. The show ends with Edward thrown into our world where he learns that all Alchemy is powered by death, and the wars in his world are what caused WWI in this one, not the Holocaust. Important because the movie has the Thule Society show up in order to steal secrets about portals so they can get super-weapons from Edward's world to power Hilter's revolution. (I don't think Hilter actually shows up, or at least I don't remember him)

The story differs a lot from the manga (there's no connection to our world in the comic) but they're pretty inline thematically. Everything has a cost, and war is just a few buying power with the lives of others.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

there wolf posted:

The main bad guy wants to create a sorcerers stone in order to keep living forever, but it takes the deaths of an entire city to do that. So she puppet-mastered a state agency of alchemists so someone would always be trying to make sorcerers stones, and a genocidal army so there would always be enough killing to power the creation. The show ends with Edward thrown into our world where he learns that all Alchemy is powered by death, and the wars in his world are what caused WWI in this one, not the Holocaust. Important because the movie has the Thule Society show up in order to steal secrets about portals so they can get super-weapons from Edward's world to power Hilter's revolution. (I don't think Hilter actually shows up, or at least I don't remember him)

The story differs a lot from the manga (there's no connection to our world in the comic) but they're pretty inline thematically. Everything has a cost, and war is just a few buying power with the lives of others.

If I remember right Hitler does show up but only to be arrested for the beer hall putsch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

there wolf posted:

Also “nothing lasts forever”, since it turns out that the fatal flaw in the big bad’s plan is that her method of immortality (using the power of a Stone to transfer her mind to a younger body) burns out her latest body faster and faster each time she does it, and it takes a lot of time and lives to give herself enough power to fuel one body-hop.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

there wolf posted:

Hilter's revolution. (I don't think Hilter

the wars in his world are what caused WWI in this one, not the Holocaust.
I hope you too make it home to your own timeline, strange traveller

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

I hope you too make it home to your own timeline, strange traveller

:confused: Edward lands in Munich in 1923, so the alchemy up to that point could not have been powered by the Holocaust, and event that had yet to happen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

there wolf posted:

:confused: Edward lands in Munich in 1923, so the alchemy up to that point could not have been powered by the Holocaust, and event that had yet to happen.
Oh I misread you as saying that the holocaust caused "WWI" and assumed you made a typo. Still going to laugh at Hilter

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Oh I misread you as saying that the holocaust caused "WWI" and assumed you made a typo. Still going to laugh at Hilter

That would be a holocaust, which still didn't cause it, but certainly didn't help.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The late Victorian holocausts occurred during the same period as well, and were hundreds of times larger.

The reason the shoah or the nazi holocaust was The Holocaust was because it was the first time ethnic cleansing was fully enacted by an industrialized nation. That's the big historical line, that sounds important to this, an anime.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I remember reading somewhere that anime is the glorification and expression of the masculine Imperial Japanese ideals as a reaction to the emasculation of the culture after WWII, and it specifically pointed out that this happened when the Yamato sank, which is why Space Battleship Yamato is the epitome of this expression.

It was really well argued and I would love to find this.

I think it was something I fell upon after reading about some huge scale model of the Yamato and I would SWEAR it was an article, not some post of an opinionated forums poster.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Babylon Astronaut posted:

The late Victorian holocausts occurred during the same period as well, and were hundreds of times larger.

The reason the shoah or the nazi holocaust was The Holocaust was because it was the first time ethnic cleansing was fully enacted by an industrialized nation. That's the big historical line, that sounds important to this, an anime.

The Late Victorian holocausts accounts for some 60 Million people and are large enacted by inaction rather an conscious effort. The Holocaust killed 17 million people, and generally actively killed them. Not sure who you're counting in the late Victorian holocausts to get them up to 1.7+ billion people mind you.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
This just in: turns out anime is poo poo because humans are poo poo.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Lol Noah Taylor sure loves playing Hitler.
Also while googling the movie "Max" where he played him the first time I stumbled upon Max von Sydow's IMDB page and found out he is also an Adolf.
Hitlers everywhere :godwinning:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

burexas.irom posted:

Also while googling the movie "Max" where he played him the first time I stumbled upon Max von Sydow's IMDB page and found out he is also an Adolf.

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/hitler-auditions/1/

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

I remember reading somewhere that anime is the glorification and expression of the masculine Imperial Japanese ideals as a reaction to the emasculation of the culture after WWII, and it specifically pointed out that this happened when the Yamato sank, which is why Space Battleship Yamato is the epitome of this expression.

I think it was something I fell upon after reading about some huge scale model of the Yamato and I would SWEAR it was an article, not some post of an opinionated forums poster.

The huge scale model is in the Kure naval museum, and is a 1/10 replica, about 200 feet long. I had the opportunity to see it in person when I worked for Mitsubishi and it was simply amazing. They also had dozens, if not hundreds of amazing models there as well. Worth a visit for sure if you are ever near there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/mugendaiyo/status/1298081139404537861?s=21

I forgot this dude existed.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

God, we all wish this sort of thing was limited to 2020. At least that way it'd stop happening in a few months.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

I forgot this dude existed.

lol at the most notable thing he did being co-hosting an Ubisoft E3 show and saying "did you know this is all scripted" to an audience of paid clappers

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/generalslug/status/1298047147028500481?s=21

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
r*pe and ab*se all*gations

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Who the gently caress are they?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

he was introduced as an "internet personality" which usually means screaming at horror games for money

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Don't fall for this woo bullshit" oh sweet a debunk video "fall for MY bullshit" oh for gently caress's sake

Also his eyes make him look like he's filming mid stroke. Either kind.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

dialhforhero posted:

I don’t this applies to all anime as Japanese animation predates WWII and is massive beyond the scope of war stories for boys. That being said, that paper sounds awesome and if you find I would like to read it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Splicer posted:

"Don't fall for this woo bullshit" oh sweet a debunk video "fall for MY bullshit" oh for gently caress's sake

But my chlorophyll!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Splicer posted:

If you want actual debunking videos, check out these two by the incredible music Youtuber Adam Neely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKTZ151yLnk
(The first part of this one is a bit.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUs-84NAAU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

sick of Applebees posted:

Who the gently caress are they?

Kinda early video game youtube screamy man like PDP

Fame Douglas posted:

r*pe and ab*se all*gations

go aw*y

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Aramoro posted:

The Late Victorian holocausts accounts for some 60 Million people and are large enacted by inaction rather an conscious effort. The Holocaust killed 17 million people, and generally actively killed them. Not sure who you're counting in the late Victorian holocausts to get them up to 1.7+ billion people mind you.

Disagree, unless by inaction you mean 'deliberate inaction'. The Brits were bug fans of "let's do nothing, and if that ethnic group dies off, it's better for the Empire anyway", and they weren't the only one.

Yamato chat- I recently learned of the Battle of Sumar/ Taffy 3 engagement, where the Yamato ran away from a hosed up destroyer with 19 holes in it. Why? Because only insane people, assholes, or people with a lot of friends have those kinds of balls. I also love the Japanese for building what amounts to a Super Saiyan Dreadnaught way too late to be of any use, and then their genius plan is "run it aground and make it a fort".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Posting Brandy’s response because the actual post and replies are NWS. Click through.

https://twitter.com/brandyljensen/status/1298263382185787407?s=21

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yamato chat- I recently learned of the Battle of Sumar/ Taffy 3 engagement, where the Yamato ran away from a hosed up destroyer with 19 holes in it. Why? Because only insane people, assholes, or people with a lot of friends have those kinds of balls. I also love the Japanese for building what amounts to a Super Saiyan Dreadnaught way too late to be of any use, and then their genius plan is "run it aground and make it a fort".

Pretty much everything in the Pacific War after Midway was Japan sticking its fingers in its ears and humming when it came to being realistic about how the war was going to end. Given how well the early war, especially in China, Korea, and Southeast Asia, had gone for the Imperial Japanese government it was far too late to be rational about strategy. They were left with one trick, and that trick was "the superior fighting spirit of Japan will win the DECISIVE BATTLE and end the war in our favor!" Everything they did was ostensibly aimed towards achieving that strategically, but tactically it was a different story. Since Japan's air forces had been ripped to shreds it became foolish to sally out against Allied navies in almost any capacity because if their surface fleet didn't destroy you their planes sure would. Still, the DECISIVE BATTLE had to be fought (and won, natch) so Japan was left in a situation where in one sense it was the obvious choice to build gigantic battleships but in another it was dumb to actually sail that battleship against the enemy.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

Disagree, unless by inaction you mean 'deliberate inaction'. The Brits were bug fans of "let's do nothing, and if that ethnic group dies off, it's better for the Empire anyway", and they weren't the only one.

Oh it was absolutely deliberate.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Posting Brandy’s response because the actual post and replies are NWS. Click through.

Just getting turbo hard with my dad for the internet nbd

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Battle off Samar is yet another interesting look at the thinking of the IJN and Imperial Japan in that it promoted a doctrine of aggressive response but on the tactical level commanders worried about total loss of their forces but when they made those decisions to retreat we're huge blunders.

Also the Yamato class and the super dreadnought idea was born out of Imperial Japan's desire to reach parity with the other leading naval powers but not having the industrial base or number of ships to meet them. The idea was to make a battleship so big it could take on multiple dreadnoughts.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Pretty much everything in the Pacific War after Midway was Japan sticking its fingers in its ears and humming when it came to being realistic about how the war was going to end. Given how well the early war, especially in China, Korea, and Southeast Asia, had gone for the Imperial Japanese government it was far too late to be rational about strategy. They were left with one trick, and that trick was "the superior fighting spirit of Japan will win the DECISIVE BATTLE and end the war in our favor!" Everything they did was ostensibly aimed towards achieving that strategically, but tactically it was a different story. Since Japan's air forces had been ripped to shreds it became foolish to sally out against Allied navies in almost any capacity because if their surface fleet didn't destroy you their planes sure would. Still, the DECISIVE BATTLE had to be fought (and won, natch) so Japan was left in a situation where in one sense it was the obvious choice to build gigantic battleships but in another it was dumb to actually sail that battleship against the enemy.

The Kantai Kessen doctrine basically warped Imperial Japanese military doctrine for 30 to 40 years until it was too late. It worked in the Russo-Japanese War because Russia had territory that the Japanese could take, hold, and it cut into Russian power. The Japanese couldn't do that if they took a bunch of American colonial territory in the Pacific. Even Yamamoto realized the futility of trying to take on the United States without being able to threaten its industrial base and understood that they had about six months before they would get steamrolled by the United States. In fact the attack on Pearl Harbor was the closest they ever got to a decisive battle and it backfired on them because the United States was forced to use its carriers instead of its battleship fleet that was sitting at the bottom of Pearl Harbor. We can see how well that turned out.

Drachinifel had a good video about Kantai Kessen.

(Sorry about any errors, using VTT)

https://youtu.be/kss0X8oaeow

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think I found what I was talking about. These three articles analyze anime as romanticizing Japan during and before the war and how they are reactionary and basically revisionist history interpretarions.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236696338_When_Pacifist_Japan_Fights_Historicizing_Desires_in_Anime

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09555803.2014.915868

https://open.library.ubc.ca/cIRcle/collections/ubctheses/24/items/1.0073849

https://apjjf.org/-Aaron-Gerow/1707/article.html

I also want to say I just took the info at face value and I have not done much into investigating the sources so if you find that it is from some weird fuckass I am sorry. It was just an intriguing read.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Aug 25, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's the thing I like about bald dads... I get older, they stay the saaaaaaame age.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there wolf posted:

I don't think it shows events in the alchemy-world causing anything in the real world, just that the energy of alchemy is powered by the resentful dead of the real world, not from any particular event, just accumulated over history.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

burexas.irom posted:

Edit: the phrase "densely-packed Hitlers"always makes me smile.

Agents are GO! has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Aug 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

dialhforhero posted:

I think I found what I was talking about. These three articles analyze anime as romanticizing Japan during and before the war and how they are reactionary and basically revisionist history interpretarions.

I am always very hesitant to watch any japanese product about the war. The way they tell it the war was "Japan was minding it's own business cooperating with it's fellow Asian countries when the west just randomly decided to start an oil embargo and then several years later they dropped atomic bombs on us." It's similar in Russia where the narrative is "The fascists invaded and had us on the ropes but the Motherland called and the good people of the Soviet Union answered and then we captured Berlin." Sure all nations involved have tended to gloss over the uncomfortable parts of that period of time, but those two in particular have been very, very reluctant to come to terms with the bad bits.